90th Birthday Celebrations of Queen Elizabeth: May and June 2016

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Is there a clip?

We'll be documentaried out at this rate! It is nice to see the family all be interviewed though as they all give little insights. It's always nice to hear her children talk about her as at the end of the day she is their mum.

I've saw the promoting clip live on Sky News, but I can't find it on their website, twitter/youtube accounts.

If there'd been documentaries around in 1897 at the time of Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee (I know she didn't make it to 90) I wonder what Edward, Prince of Wales, and all the siblings would have said? She was a dominating force in her children and grandchildren's lives, unlike the present monarch.

Now, that would've been fascinating!

I've saw the promoting clip live on Sky News, but I can't find it on their website, twitter/youtube accounts.

I randomly turned to Sky News and it showed the clip. Nice to see Edward and Sophie interviewed together. It makes more sense to interview the couples together as it gets two out of the way then!

Read moe:Queen's 90th birthday: Three cheers as Shrewsbury's town crier is chosen to lead celebrations at Buckingham Palace « Shropshire Star
Shrewsbury’s towering town crier has been given the historic role of leading three cheers at Buckingham Palace for the Queen’s 90th birthday.

Martin Wood, who at 7ft 2ins is the tallest town crier in the world, will be taking on a central role in next week’s birthday celebrations at the palace.

Mr Wood, who was also selected to take part in the Queen Mother’s 100th birthday celebrations, will join 19 other town criers for the occasion.

The ceremony will see him leading his fellow criers in three cheers for The Queen, as part of the Royal Proclamation, before a parchment scroll is presented to the Queen’s officers.

Read more: Liverpool's Elizabeths needed to help celebrate The Queen's 90th birthday at Liverpool ONE - Liverpool Echo
The Queen is about to turn 90, and if you share your name with our fair monarch, then we want to hear from you.

We have teamed up with Liverpool ONE to create “Elizabeths Through the Ages”, a unique portrait that celebrates Elizabeths throughout Merseyside, and of course Her Royal Highness.

We’re looking for as many Elizabeths as possible to pose for the portrait - there is no age limit, and all successful entrants will receive a Liverpool ONE gift card, and a framed photo of all the Elizabeths together.

Telegraph View

...We have lived in the Age of Elizabeth. It has been a tumultuous time that has still seen great strides in human progress, and which has been held together by an ancient yet utterly relevant institution.

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge’s successful tour of India and Bhutan reflects the rise of a new generation that will build on her Majesty’s legacy. That the modern royalty is so popular and approachable is thanks to her gifts as both sovereign and head of a family.

Perhaps her most important job has been as mother, grandmother and, now, great-grandmother. Or, as Prince George simply calls her, “Gan-Gan.” Long live the Queen.
Read more: Long live the Queen

I've posted an article about Queen Margrethe II in the Danish forum and she said this about the Queen:
‘She’s wonderful. I really admire the way she has lived her life, the way she continues to live her life. She’s so dedicated and she has a marvellous sense of humour.

'I’m lucky enough to know her privately and I do enjoy that sense of humour.

'I also think that in the later years, that sense of humour has come across to the general public in Britain much more than it used to. And I’m so delighted for her sake.

'I know that her faith is very important to her, but I’m sure also it’s her sense of humour that keeps her looking so very good, that keeps her wonderful, in fact.’

That's a marvellous tribute from Queen Margrethe to her fellow monarch and friend.

Some quotes from this very long article:

Read more: Why the Queen at 90 is the hardest worker of us all*
In the spring of 1947, Odhams Press marked the 21st birthday of the then Princess Elizabeth with a smart commemorative hardback. Its Illustrated Story of Twenty-one Years in the Life of the Heir Presumptive is recognisably of its time. Author Dermot Morrah (“Late Fellow of All Souls College, Oxford”) marshalled stately prose to celebrate the virtues of his august subject. His tone is deferential but measured.

Seven decades later, the surprise is how many of his assertions continue to strike a chord. “She is a hard worker… She hates to leave any task unfinished, or to abandon any problem until she has mastered it. She is always ready to take great trouble over small things, especially when she suspects that things which are small to her may be of great importance to humbler people.”

Days short of her 90th birthday, it is clear that the former Princess Elizabeth considers the biggest task of her life still unfinished, namely her role as Elizabeth II, our Queen of 64 years and counting.

Last year, she undertook 341 engagements, including 35 overseas commitments: as in 1947, many were concerned with things “of great importance to humbler people”. Every day she receives – and reads – an account of Parliament’s proceedings written for her by a Government Whip; weekend dispatches include an update on events across the Commonwealth. Her daily postbag includes upwards of 200 letters, of which the Queen reads a handful herself; the remainder are entrusted to ladies-in-waiting.

And so, she continues, not quite as ramrod-backed as once, the pace a little slower, her hair pearly white beneath the brim of her hats, her face in old age suggestively Hanoverian; but in other ways the same woman who, aged 21, in a famous radio broadcast, declared “that my whole life, whether it be long or short, shall be devoted to your service”.

At regular intervals, notably her Silver, Golden and Diamond Jubilees, the Queen has repeated that vow of lifelong service. On the 40th anniversary of her accession, in 1992, she said: “In this existence, the job and the life go together. You can’t really divide it up.” In the Queen’s eyes, her’s is a job for life. Nothing in Britain’s unwritten constitution forces this upon her except historical precedent – itself a potent force – and her own understanding of her singular position.

Elizabeth II is the oldest and longest-reigning sovereign in the thousand-year history of our island monarchy and the first to enter her tenth decade. As in 1952, she retains the rights identified by Victorian constitutionalist Walter Bagehot to be consulted by the Prime Minister, to encourage certain courses of action and to caution against others; her particular powers include appointing bishops and archbishops and making war and peace.

Yet the exceptionally high esteem in which the Queen is held across much of the globe has little to do with her exercise – or, in the case of the carriage ride along Rotten Row, failure to exercise – of any such privilege or power.

Successful kingship, The Times suggested in 1937, relies “not upon intellectual brilliance or superlative talent of any kind, but upon the moral qualities of steadiness, staying-power and self-sacrifice”. Over six decades, Elizabeth II has made herself an exemplar of all three ‘moral’ qualities. Her biography in the current Penguin Monarchs series, written by former Cabinet minister Douglas Hurd in 2015, is entitled Elizabeth II: The Steadfast.

Elizabeth II has left it to others to interpret her emphasis on service as “self-sacrifice”: nothing in her behaviour has ever suggested that she regards her self-appointed task as anything but a privilege itself. Even in secularised Britain, the legacy of plodding Protestantism and centuries of mercantile endeavour thrills at evidence of her unflagging work ethic.

That the world’s most famous pensioner, 90 on Thursday, is still hard at it pretty much every day of the year is one reason the Queen topped a poll conducted last year by drinks manufacturer Horlicks to identify “the best of British”.

In the case of our own Queen, she does so without any apparent sense of superiority or self-interest and without the bombast of others in public life. Unlike that of many politicians, her record over 64 years has mostly escaped censure. She has frequently become, as Dermot Morrah forecast in 1947, “the leader and the symbol” of the nation’s “great ideals” and a “centre and focus for unity”.

The Times has interviewed six remarkable ladies who were born in the same year/date as the Queen. They tell their life stories in separate interviews.

This is just the beginning of this enormous article. If you want to read the interviews, then read the entire article.

Read more if you have access:All the Queen's ladies | | The Times & The Sunday Times
The Queen turns 90 on Thursday — as do these remarkable women. They, like HM, represent a generation whose indomitable spirit saw them through Britain’s darkest hour. India Knight salutes them, and they tell their stories

They are hardy of spirit and stiff of backbone, and they are the last of their indomitable kind. Reading about their lives makes you wonder how we all got so feeble and self-obsessed, so babyish. As the Queen turns 90 on Thursday, so do the extraordinary “ordinary” women below. There’s Joan, who, aged 13, refused to be evacuated. They were bombed three times in the war; the family income stopped overnight when her parents’ newsagents was hit. Joan became a bookkeeper at a fishmonger’s, then the headmistress of a school for the blind and eventually an inspector of schools. She divorced in 1968, without fuss, drama or sense of victimhood: “I just realised I was married to the wrong man.”

There’s Margaret, who was glamorous and didn’t know it at the time, and who tap-danced with her older sister to entertain the troops. She started when she was 14 and travelled up and down the country. She still has the little black book she filled with the names of soldiers who fancied her (“There’s over 60 in it”). She became a ballroom dancer, making better money than most men, but gave it up when she married Taylor, who had beautiful teeth and liked a drink or two. They were married for 45 years.

And Norah, who had to bring a bit of turf to school every day to keep the fire going. She left her native Galway aged 15, out of the blue, because her brother was getting married and needed the house. Norah ended up in England — “There was a lot of bad feeling about the English, and we weren’t taught that much,” she says.

These women are amazing. They belong to a specific generation who stopped being children, either physically or figuratively, with the onset of the Second World War. They cracked on and did what they had to do, without pausing for hand-wringing or self-pity, glad only to be alive (“It was a good time to be alive, if you remained so,” Joan says).

Princess Elizabeth undertook her first solo public engagement on April 12, 1943, just before she turned 17 — a visit to the Grenadier Guards. In 1945, she joined the Women’s Auxiliary Territorial Service and trained as a driver and mechanic. On VE Day, she and Princess Margaret mingled with the crowds — “All of us just swept along on a tide of happiness and relief.” In 1952, George VI died and Elizabeth, by now a married woman but still only 25, became Queen.

What we admire in the Queen, whether we are monarchists or republicans, is what we also admire in the women interviewed here. It is the highly unfashionable notion of unstinting, uncomplaining duty, whether to yourself, to your family or to your country: the art of getting on with it, come what may, without making a ghastly fuss. Our interviewees recognise it in the Queen. What they admire in her is a mirror image of an aspect of themselves. We recognise it too. Call them game old birds, tough old broads, or the Queen of the United Kingdom, they are, in anybody’s book, remarkable women, whose like we will not see again. “The Queen has always kept a straight path, even in troubled times,” Norah says. “There’s not a wrong word you can say about her.”

Correctly and perfectly said by one of the ladies:
My highlight was attending an 80th joint-birthday tea with the Queen and other people born on her birthday. I wanted something more definitive than small talk and we had a wonderful conversation about the Welsh assembly. She always makes you feel important and is a warm person with a common touch. I don’t think she has ever put a foot wrong. She handled Diana’s death with dignity and respect and I believe she was wrongly criticised. She has always represented this country well.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/imageserv...8a6d6ce282d.jpg?crop=1778,1000,0,0&resize=600

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/imageserv...045496726.jpg?crop=1000,1500,-0,-0&resize=600

Last edited:
More praise for our amazing Queen, and she deserves it. This is only the last part of this very long article by Camilla Tominey.

Read more: Queen Elizabeth 90 Birthday Celebration: How Her Majesty became a world renowned diplomat | Royal | News | Daily Express
Our widely adored monarch is celebrating her milestone 90th, but what has made her such an outstanding diplomat?

Both a stickler for tradition and a forward-thinking moderniser, arguably the secret to the Queen’s success has been her willingness to embrace change. As she said in an address to both Houses of Parliament back on her Golden Jubilee in 2002, “For if a Jubilee becomes a moment to define an age, then for me we must speak of change.

“Change has become a constant, managing it has become an expanding discipline. The way we embrace it defines our future.”Prime Minister David Cameron once described her as leading “a gentle evolution of our monarchy, bringing it close to the people while maintaining its dignity”. When she became Britain’s longest- serving monarch last September, the Queen admitted, “It is not a record to which I have ever aspired.”

She was about to open a new railway in Scotland when she paid fleeting reference to the historic milestone in her short speech.

“Inevitably, a long life can pass by many milestones. My own is no exception,” she said with typical understatement. “But I thank you all and the many others at home and overseas for your touching messages of great kindness.”

With characteristic pragmatism, she added,

“So now to the business in hand…”

Even at 90, there is no question that the Queen will continue to put duty first, as she vowed to her Commonwealth subjects on her 21st birthday.

It was one thing for a young Princess to utter those inspiring words – but quite another to have lived by them for more than 60 years.

From the Royal Borough of Windsor and Maidenhead Official Tourism Website:

Read more for information about April 20th: The Queen's 90th - Windsor
Windsor will be in the spotlight for Her Majesty the Queen’s 90th birthday celebrations, with a number of events.

On Thursday 21 April, Her Majesty’s birthday, from about 12noon to 12.30pm, The Queen and The Duke will meet Windsor residents and visitors when they take a walk through the streets from Windsor Castle to the Guildhall, accompanied by the Mayor and consort, and the Lord Lieutenant of Berkshire and his wife.

At the foot of Castle Hill Her Majesty will unveil an information panel and officially launch The Queen’s Walkway. The 6.3km route is signed by 63 plaques, marking the Queen’s historic 63-year reign when she became the longest serving monarch on 9 September 2015.

On the Corn Exchange at the Guildhall the Royal Couple and the Mayor will meet a small group of residents who also celebrate their 90th birthday this year.

The Royal Party will then depart the Guildhall in the State Review Vehicle and drive down Peascod Street on the way back to Windsor Castle.

Members of the public hoping to see The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh on the walkabout are encouraged to turn up early to ensure they get a good view. The walkabout is expected to attract large numbers of residents and visitors all wanting to join in the birthday celebrations.

People travelling into Windsor are advised to use public transport if possible as there will be temporary road closures and diversions and the car parks are likely to be very busy.
The front pages today - Souvenir editions:

The Mail - The People's Queen
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CgMPYMrWEAAcXH8.jpg

The Express - The Queen at 90
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CgMQDZjWwAAhadJ.jpg

Sunday Post - Queen's love Affair with Scotland
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CgMTwXOWQAAgX9P.jpg

The Day I Met the Queen - New series to celebrate Her Majesty's 90th birthday:

BBC One - The Day I Met the Queen

BBC One - The Day I Met the Queen, Aled Jones
To mark the 90th birthday of Queen Elizabeth II, singer and presenter Aled Jones is in his home nation of Wales to speak to people with extraordinary stories of when they met the Queen.

His journey includes meeting a man who has met the Queen many times over 30 years of taking snapshots of her on royal walkabouts, a former choir girl who got close to the Queen when she sang at the investiture of the Prince of Wales, the breeder of the Queen's corgis, and a survivor of the 1966 Aberfan mining tragedy, when a school was buried by mining debris.

Watch live: tvpc.com - BBC 1 09:15 - APR 18:

I think Dman found a website that allows you to watch UK tv, but I can't remember the name.

I've just finished watching this wonderful episode live on my mac here at the office. Again, we heard about our caring Queen's kindness and her sense of humor. And as Aled Jones said: ''We are lucky to have her.''

The Queen, on her birthday, will be accompanied by The Duke of Edinburgh, The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall on Thursday evening, April 21st to light the first beacon at Windsor.

Queen's 90 birthday marked at photography exhibition - BBC News
A photographer's collection of pictures of the Queen will go on display in Denbighshire to mark her 90th birthday.

The images have been taken by Colin Edwards who has been documenting the monarchy for six decades.

Mr Edwards, 75, has been a "self-proclaimed royalist" since watching the Queen's coronation on television aged 12.

The photos will form part of an exhibition in Ruthin to commemorate the Queen's birthday on Thursday.
See 6 of these wonderful pictures in the article:

BBC One - The Day I Met the Queen, Jennie Bond
To mark the 90th birthday of Queen Elizabeth II, former BBC royal correspondent Jennie Bond is in her home territory of south west England to speak to people with extraordinary stories of when they met the Queen.

On her journey she meets veterans from the Falklands war, a navy captain who was lost for words when he welcomed the Queen on board his destroyer, the landlady who hosted the Queen on a rare visit to the pub, and an apprentice bricklayer whose life changed after she met the Queen.
Watch live: tvpc.com - BBC 1 09:15 - APR 18.

I loved yesterday's episode, but todays episode is presented by Jennie Bond. She has said that she is a big fan of the Queen, but she has criticized the royal family several times and said that she wants a republic when Queen dies.

The Day I Met the Queen, Aled Jones - yesterday's episode:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvT07wjntbo

Last edited by a moderator:
Love all the tributes coming in for her Birthday. Lord knows, if she was a politician, none of this stuff would be happening.:D

What a lovely surprise! That letter shows the insecurities on writing and the affection of just a kid. Endearing.

Hi there! We will be opening a competition on Thursday on our Twitter and Facebook with a free giveaway of Colin's book A Personal Portrait of the Royal Family.

A Personal Portrait of the Royal Family by Colin Edwards - Candy Jar Books

Keep an eye on our Facebook and Twitter!

@Candy_Jar
https://www.facebook.com/candyjarcardiff

ABOUT THE AUTHOR

A retired local government officer and royalist-at-heart, Colin has dedicated much of his spare time to photographing members of the Royal Family at public events. Travelling across the country, Colin has collected a number of unusual, intimate shots for his new book. He became so well-known that Diana, Princess of Wales personally greeted him upon recognition. Colin has exhibited his photographs to raise money for various charities and continues to attend royal public events.

The Queen “tastes soldiers’ packed lunches” to make sure they are looked after properly – Royal Central
He said: “The Royal Family were so much fun to work for, they made all the soldiers feel at ease.

“One of Her Majesty’s priorities was looking after the welfare of the soldiers who were responsible for providing support for all events.

“She often tasted our packed lunches to check we were being properly looked after before we went out on hunting or fishing trips. She would come to the kitchen and inspect the sandwiches.

“Most were up to scratch, but if they weren’t, they’d be sent back.”

Mr Ross signed up for military service when he was just 15 years-0ld, and has since had a varied career. He says that he was once lucky enough to dance with The Queen at an event in 1991.

Our caring Queen.

The Queen's former guard reveals moment he trod on her TOE at Balmoral | Daily Mail Online
John said: 'The Royal Piper came up to me and said 'I would like to introduce you to the Queen'.

'I then asked her to dance and half way through the Dashing White Sergeant I stood on her toes.

'It was a dreadful moment. My heart was in my mouth. I thought I was going to end up in the Tower.

'I said "I'm sorry Your Majesty" and she whispered "It's OK. Don't worry about it".'

And he admitted he was 'terrified' when he was dancing with the Queen that day.
Poor guy.

The Queen's birthday is celebrated by Linda Robson who dresses up at ITV studios in London | Daily Mail Online
Her majesty, the Queen, is celebrating a milestone later this month.

And it seems that Linda Robson couldn't resist kicking off the monarch's 90th birthday celebrations early, as the Birds Of A feather actress chose to show off her patriotic side by dressing up as HM on Tuesday.

Clearly a staunch monarchist, the 58-year-old star showed her support for Queen Elizabeth II by dressing up as the beloved British monarch for her visit to the ITV Studios in London.

The papers with a beautiful new picture of the birthday girl with Charles, William and George:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cgb6mOCWcAAOkQ_.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cgb45feWcAAgV0o.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cgb4f5AXIAI1S_1.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cgb7lJ-WQAIyvgv.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cgb9LvbW8AEDPxa.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
wonderful photo of Queen Elizabeth with her three heirs

Shame some of the papers cut out William and Charles

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Back
Top Bottom