90th Birthday Celebrations of Queen Elizabeth: May and June 2016

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
http://www.royal.uk/queen-windsor-90th-birthday
The Queen in Windsor: 90th birthday

The Queen will undertake engagements in Windsor in the week of her 90th birthday.

Wednesday 20th April

The first engagement is a visit to the Royal Mail Windsor delivery office on William St, Windsor. This visit marks the 500th Anniversary of the Postal Service. The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh will meet Mrs Moya Greene, the Chief Executive Officer of Royal Mail, and Mr Peter Long, the Chairman of the Royal Mail Group and will see the operation of the Caller's Office. This is where customers collect items that are not delivered to their home or business. Staff on duty will explain how the system works and there will be an opportunity to see how modern technology enables customers to track items.

The Queen and The Duke will then have an opportunity to see how postmen and women sort mail ahead of delivery, and meet staff, including some who have given many years of service. Before they leave, Her Majesty and His Royal Highness will view an exhibition highlighting some of the key events, people and developments in the history of Royal Mail over the last half millennium and unveil a plaque marking the visit. While the visit takes place, The Royal Mail choir made up of frontline staff from Bristol will sing. They were formed as part of a BBC television series "The Choir: Sing While You Work". They regularly perform around the UK, raising funds for good causes.

The second engagement is a visit to Alexandra Gardens for a ceremony to officially open the new Bandstand. The Queen, accompanied by The Duke of Edinburgh, will arrive at the Barry Avenue entrance where they will be received by Mr James Puxley, Lord Lieutenant of Berkshire. They will view an exhibition about the Bandstand and the school’s workshops which informed the design of the six commemorative plaques fixed to its railings. They will then meet school children from the six schools involved in the bandstand's decoration: Alexander First, Braywood, Dedworth Green First, Dedworth Middle, Queen Anne, Royal School as well as the designers and builders of the bandstand. A children’s choir will perform four short songs followed by a performance of Shakespeare as part of the School's Shakespeare Festival. Prior to departure The Queen will ascend the bandstand to unveil a plaque marking the day.

Thursday 21st April

The Queen, accompanied by The Duke of Edinburgh will undertake a walkabout in Windsor.

Her Majesty and His Royal Highness will walk from the Henry VIII Gate of Windsor Castle towards the Statute of Queen Victoria at the foot of Castle Hill. Here Her Majesty will unveil a plaque marking The Queen's Walkway.

The Queen’s Walkway is a 6.3km self-guided walking trail connecting 63 points of significance in the town of Windsor. The Walkway was designed by The Outdoor Trust to symbolically recognise the moment that Her Majesty became Britain’s longest reigning monarch after more than 63 years on 9 September 2015. It builds on the success of the Jubilee Walkway in London, the first urban walking trail in the world, opened by The Queen in 1977 in celebration of her Silver Jubilee. Excitingly, the bronze EIIR crested markers, embossed panel and promotional app have now also inspired a parallel network of Walkways throughout all 71 Nations and Territories of The Commonwealth in recognition of The Queen’s service as Head of

The Commonwealth for more than 63 years. A dozen Walkways are already in development in various countries and Her Majesty launched the first complete route in Malta as part of the Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting in November 2015. By 2018 it is hoped that there will be 100 Commonwealth Walkways, connecting 5,000 rich and diverse points of significance, uniting the Commonwealth.

In the evening, The Queen, accompanied by The Duke of Edinburgh, The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall, will light a beacon and view two further beacons being lit along Long Walk and at Copper Horse.

The Queen will light the principal beacon which will set in train a series of over 900 beacons across the country and worldwide. Beacons large and small, either specially built gas-fuelled structures or simple bonfires, will be lit across the country to mark The Queen's 90th Birthday, and individuals have been asked to attend a beacon-lighting event in their area, hosted by their local authority.

It's a bit disappointing that the walkabout is so short, but not surprising. The Queen hasn't gone on a proper walkabout since 2012, due to her age/knee problems. But what I don't understand is why they can't drive her around in a golf buggy, as they did with the Queen Mother.

http://www.royal.uk/queen-windsor-90th-birthday

It's a bit disappointing that the walkabout is so short, but not surprising. The Queen hasn't gone on a proper walkabout since 2012, due to her age/knee problems. But what I don't understand is why they can't drive her around in a golf buggy, as they did with the Queen Mother.

Royal walkabouts are becoming rare for the royals to do because of security reasons. Not even the young royals do it like they used to.

Royal walkabouts are becoming rare for the royals to do because of security reasons. Not even the young royals do it like they used to.

Yes I know, and I've written about it here on the forum before. But I don't think that the length of the birthday walkabout has nothing to do with security and as I said in my above post, the Queen hasn't gone on a proper walkabout since 2012, due to her age/knee problems.

Yes I know, and I've written about it here on the forum before. But I don't think that the length of the birthday walkabout has nothing to do with security and as I said in my above post, the Queen hasn't gone on a proper walkabout since 2012, due to her age/knee problems.

Yes, that too. I don't know how the royals do all that walking anyway. I know their legs/feet grow tired and numb, and their backs ache.

I'm going to take a stab in the dark on this one.

Most likely because what she is doing is opening The Queen’s Walkway which is a 6.3km self-guided walking trail connecting 63 points of significance in the town of Windsor and being a stickler for detail, she prefers to walk as that is what one does on a walkway. To be driven or drive the path kind of sticks out like a sore thumb. If she's going to do something, she's going to do it right.

At least that's my take on it.

Queens 90th Birthday: Timeline and 90 historical facts for your brain to feast on | Metro News

I'm going to take a stab in the dark on this one.

Most likely because what she is doing is opening The Queen’s Walkway which is a 6.3km self-guided walking trail connecting 63 points of significance in the town of Windsor and being a stickler for detail, she prefers to walk as that is what one does on a walkway. To be driven or drive the path kind of sticks out like a sore thumb. If she's going to do something, she's going to do it right.

At least that's my take on it.

I agree! What I meant was that she could have used a golf buggy for a longer walkabout or driveabout.

I agree! What I meant was that she could have used a golf buggy for a longer walkabout or driveabout.

Perhaps a Queenmobile not unlike Pope Francis' Popemobile? I just recently have watched documentaries on the estates of the Danish royal family and Queen Margrethe has a golf cart to zoom around the palace grounds in. Too cute. My mom had one in Florida and I loved using it. Could even go to the grocery store where they have special parking spots for golf carts.

But then again, HM is more of a horse person for her horse power. :D

Perhaps a Queenmobile not unlike Pope Francis' Popemobile? I just recently have watched documentaries on the estates of the Danish royal family and Queen Margrethe has a golf cart to zoom around the palace grounds in. Too cute. My mom had one in Florida and I loved using it. Could even go to the grocery store where they have special parking spots for golf carts.

But then again, HM is more of a horse person for her horse power. :D

The Queen actually have a Queenmobile, her open-top Land Rover. She used it often before, both in the UK and overseas, and got a new one last year. I've seen so many good pictures of her using it, but now I only found these:

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/02014/1954-landrover_2014095i.jpg

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/08/24/article-2192583-14AD39BA000005DC-383_634x425.jpg

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2009/01/27/article-1129724-0333A5E7000005DC-421_468x286.jpg

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2009/01/27/article-1129724-00545FBE00000258-140_468x400.jpg

http://www.thepatronslunch.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/GettyImages-57046100_master-1024x706.jpg

http://blog.caranddriver.com/wp-con...lizabeth-II-Range-Rover-2005-crop-626x479.jpg

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/06/27/article-2165320-13D13AD1000005DC-512_634x392.jpg

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/07/18/article-2175390-141BEB6A000005DC-239_636x397.jpg

This is the new one, which she used one time last year:

SVO Creates New Range Rover for the Queen - GTspirit

She has also used a golf buggy on a few occasions, but not for walkabouts:

http://media4.popsugar-assets.com/f...xlarge_2x/i/Least-When-She-Rode-Golf-Cart.jpg

http://www.abc.net.au/news/image/3581832-3x2-940x627.jpg

When the Queen Mother become frail, she started using her famous golf buggy. When the Queen became too frail for walkabouts after the Diamond Jubilee, she stopped doing them. Palace sources said it was due to her age/knee problems and not security.

Walkabouts for other members of the royal family has also become a rare thing, especially in the last year due to security reasons.

The Queen mother in her golf buggy:

http://cache1.asset-cache.net/gc/52...WthOpLS93yYmBzOS+c16AYuPfo8XmPLwOUiIejEJsKg==

http://cache3.asset-cache.net/gc/52...tk9TMW/OjIE70Slbj8M3e3QlOiyJBg9IZp+p8kDRiuA==

http://media.gettyimages.com/photos...kshire-in-her-buggy-in-the-picture-id52111027

http://cache4.asset-cache.net/gc/52...FdoahyxrWovz7rqEPo4HV9GUeskElPLqblNG7vNjseQ==

http://cache2.asset-cache.net/gc/52...yzTr5czRjtcWTpKd81/DAybrAWLpRR55NGUqYHPuXig==

Last edited:
My eye has kept snagging on the royal.uk birthday photo/links. Something looked off. So I thought about it. Have a very goth Birthday, your Majesty. Sometime font is everything. :lol:

The attached file has been cropped to show the relevant text.

Attachments

• goth (3).PNG
    goth (3).PNG
    33.8 KB · Views: 452
My eye has kept snagging on the royal.uk birthday photo/links. Something looked off. So I thought about it. Have a very goth Birthday, your Majesty. Sometime font is everything. :lol:

The attached file has been cropped to show the relevant text.
:lol: Oh that is hysterical. I've read that Nine Inch Nails and Marilyn Manson have already been booked for the festivities.

:lol: Oh that is hysterical. I've read that Nine Inch Nails and Marilyn Manson have already been booked for the festivities.

QEII as goth?

Somehow I think she would have a field day. :lol:

A collection of programmes marking the Queen's 90th birthday on BBC One from April 18 to April 22, including live coverage of her birthday walkabout at Windsor:
BBC - The Queen at 90

Last edited:
'Momentous' celebrations planned to mark the Queen's 90th birthday | Windsor | Areas | Windsor News | WindsorExpress
‘Momentous’ celebrations for the Queen’s birthday will be the start of months of events, says Windsor and Eton town manager Paul Roach.

“We are really looking forward to it, there will be a lot of things for people to do and see.

“On Thursday there will be stuff in the morning, afternoon and evening. I would urge people to come down and join in.”

“Thursday is going to be a momentous day, but it is just the start of events around the town.”

Tomorrow (Friday) a portrait gallery of the Queen’s visits to Windsor is due to be opened at King Edward Court Shopping Centre.

The exhibition, supported by Windsor, Eton & Ascot Town Partnership, will give the unique opportunity to see portraits taken of Her Majesty as she carried out civic duties or attended events around the town.

Children will have the opportunity to make birthday cards for Her Majesty and post them in a special post box. There will also be a book to sign.

The exhibition will be at the shopping centre until April 21 from 10am-4pm daily before moving around the town.

More than 20 businesses in Windsor are also taking part in the Queen’s 90th window display competition.

Winners will receive a pair of tickets to a performance of The Queen’s 90th Birthday Celebration.

The Mayor of the Royal Borough, Cllr Eileen Quick, added: “This is a really wonderful couple of days for Windsor.

“I am deeply honoured that John and I will have the chance to meet Her Majesty, and I am sure Windsor residents will be just as excited about seeing The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh in their home town.”

David Cameron will next week lead MPs in paying a day of tributes to the Queen to mark Her Majesty's 90th birthday.

The Prime Minister David Cameron will present a humble Address in the House of Commons as he open's the day's debate in honor of the Queen.

Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong republican, will also pay his respects, which is the normal process for a Leader of the Opposition when the House celebrates a monarch's birthday.

As leader of the opposition in 2006, Mr Cameron followed Prime Minister Tony Blair in paying tributes to the Queen on her 80th birthday, describing the event "as a genuine cause for national celebration".

In September Mr Cameron led the world's tributes as the Queen became Britain's longest-serving monarch, by describing her reign as a "golden thread" running through the generations.

Mr Cameron said it was "truly humbling" to comprehend the scale of the Queen's public service, noting: "The reign of Queen Elizabeth has been a golden thread running through three post-war generations, and she's presided over more than two-thirds of our history as a full democracy with everyone being able to vote."

He added the Queen has answered more than 3.5 million pieces of correspondence and sent more than 100,000 telegrams to centenarians across the Commonwealth and "met more people than any other monarch in history".

Mr Cameron prompted laughter in the Commons as he added: "And yet whether it's something we suspect she enjoys, like the Highland Games, or something we suspect she might be slightly less keen on, such as spending new year's eve in the Millennium Dome, she never, ever falters.

"Her selfless sense of service and duty have earned her unparalleled respect and admiration not only in Britain but around the world."
Read more: David Cameron to lead a day of MPs tributes to mark the Queen's 90th birthday*

This also happened for her 80th birthday in 2006, her Diamond Jubilee in 2012 and last year when she became the Longest Reigning British Monarch. What is interesting this year is to hear what Jeremy Corbyn has to say.

80th Birthday 2006:
Tribute Queen's 80th Birthday | Video | C-SPAN.org

Diamond Jubilee 2012:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gbfs_Chghuc
Longest Reigning British Monarch 2015:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GP0l8rgY-a4

Tony Blair also gave a speech in the Queen's presence at Guildhall in June 2002 for her Golden Jubilee. He did the same in June 2006 at Mansion House for her 80th Birthday, and I must say that he was much better at it than Cameron.

Golden Jubilee from 49:30 in the video:
Queen's Golden Jubilee | Video | C-SPAN.org

80th Birthday:
interior speech Prime Minister Tony Blair, at Queen Elizabeth II's... Stock Footage Video | Getty Images

Last edited:
A councillor tried to ban Union Jack bunting to celebrate the Queen's birthday because she feared tourists would mistake the market town for the National Front headquarters.

Councillor Liz Harvey objected to the patriotic display being hung in Ledbury because she said visitors could be 'unsettled' by the red, white and blue flags.

She claimed that one Irish visitor to the town's 2012 poetry festival was so perplexed by the Union Jack bunting that he asked Councillor Harvey whether Ledbury was the British headquarters of the far-right political party.

The councillor made the bizarre comments during a town council meeting to discuss how the area would mark the Queen's 90th birthday and Armed Forces Day.

Residents are now calling for her to resign, claiming it is an example of political correctness 'gone mad'.

But she later apologised for her comments, saying she wasn't as 'succint' as she planned to be.

'It was at the end of a long and difficult meeting,' she said. 'I didn't mean to offend anyone and I'm sorry if offence has been taken.

'If flag bunting is to go up specifically for the Queen's birthday or First World War events, I would support that wholeheartedly.

'People say I was disrespectful to the war dead, but I didn't mean any offence. I am patriotic and would wave my flag when the Queen goes by.

'My point was that the bunting previously used by the town council, in 2012, was left up for the rest of the season.

'If they are going to be up all the time, perhaps we can consider what colour they are going to be, instead of just going for red, white and blue.

'When you have it right through the town and it's not for a national event, it just looks a bit odd.'

Residents have now accused the councillor of making Ledbury 'a laughing stock.'

Flower seller Brian Bellows, 45, said: 'What a ridiculous thing to say. How on earth can the Union flag be viewed as racist?

'Is the councillor honestly suggesting the Queen is racist for flying the flag outside Buckingham Palace?

'She should resign immediately. Her careless comments have made this lovely town a laughing stock.'

Barman Kirk Howell, 23, added: 'It's yet another example of political correctness gone completely, barking mad.'
Read more: Councillor tries to ban Union Jack bunting to celebrate the Queen's 90th birthday | Daily Mail Online

:previous: Supports the claim that euthanasia for some politicians perhaps isn't such a bad idea after all, doesn't it?

I has to look it up. For those of us in the US - The National Front is a whites only party that espouses (among other things) repatriation of non white immigrants. They carry the Union Jack as they march. Her logic is madness.
In the US it would be like saying we should not fly the US flag because political campaigns use red, blue, white, stars and Bars in their logos. :whistling:

Great British Bake Off winner Nadiya Hussain has revealed she is baking the Queen’s 90th birthday cake.

Hussain, 31 – won the BBC baking show last year – said she is nervous about the bake and can’t even look at her oven.

Speaking on Loose Women she announced: “I have to compose myself. I’m making the Queen’s 90th birthday cake.”

Hussain – who joked that she had been exchanging texts with the Queen – said she couldn’t say ‘no’ when her agent informed her of the news.

She said: “I had the option, I could’ve said no. I can’t say no to the Queen can I?"
Great British Bake Off winner Nadiya Hussain to make Queen’s 90th birthday cake | Celebrity News | Showbiz | London Evening Standard

I really hope some of the continental royals get to make it over to her birthday celebrations in June. They are family anyway.

QEII as goth?

Somehow I think she would have a field day. :lol:
Would certainly liven up the usual birthday events! QEII lived through the punk era of the late 1970's so I doubt much surprises her anymore when it comes to musical trends.:lol:

he Queen will celebrate her 90th birthday dining with Barack Obama and enjoying a cake baked by the winner of the Great British Bake Off.

Her Majesty is marking her actual birthday on April 21 with three days of low key events in Windsor, ahead of a more elaborate festivities in London in May and on her official birthday in June.

Mr Obama will travel to Windsor Castle to dine with the Queen on Friday, in what is expected to be his last visit to Britain as President of the United States.

Read more: Queen's 90th birthday: a slice of 'Bake-Off' cake and lunch with Barack Obama*

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/content/...liwavx4coWFCaEkEsb3kvxIt-lGGWCWqwLa_RXJU8.jpg

Souvenir Edition from The Telegraph: Our glorious Queen at 90:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CgHH-FzWEAEJXgn.jpg

Read more: Long live the Queen
The Queen turns 90 next week, and we celebrate her decades of service with a special edition of the Telegraph Magazine. In the course of her lifetime, Britain has seen recessions, wars, sweeping cultural change and a ceaseless debate about our proper role in the world. One constant has been a monarch who, unlike many of her predecessors, has never rocked the ship of state. On the contrary, her admirable sense of duty has seen it through turbulent waters.

The Britain of recent years has been very fortunate to have Elizabeth II – someone whose personality has perfectly suited the challenges of her era.She ascended to the throne at the age of just 25, thrown into a world that Winston Churchill described as “poised between world catastrophe and a golden age”. The empire was collapsing; the globe was caught in a totemic struggle between democracy and communism. As Britain changed, so did the monarchy – again the most traditional of institutions proved surprisingly adaptable. The Queen permitted cameras into her home and went on walkabouts. She toured the world, offering personal leadership to a new, multicultural Commonwealth. On one trek across the globe it was calculated that she listened to 276 speeches, gave 102 of her own and heard 508 renditions of the national anthem. She has been ever-present without being partisan: a leader in the moral, rather than the political sense.

We do not know what advice she has given prime ministers, but it is impossible to understate her value. “They unburden themselves,” she once told the BBC. “It’s rather nice to feel that one’s a sort of sponge and everybody can come and tell one things.” Sir John Major said: “Even thoughts you perhaps don’t want to share with your Cabinet at a particular time you can say to the Queen, and I did.” Politicians can rest assured that she will have heard and seen it all before.

In 1977, Pierre Trudeau, a Canadian prime minister with republican sympathies, performed a pirouette behind Her Majesty at a dinner. Last year, the Queen had a private audience with his son, Justin Trudeau, now also prime minister of the Canada – proof that the hereditary principle is alive and well on the Left.

He described how privately thrilled his father had been to introduce him to the monarch in the early 1970s: “She was always lovely and gracious... You could tell my father was really proud to be introducing his son to the Queen.” That mystic spell that Bagehot spoke of remains irresistible.

We have lived in the Age of Elizabeth. It has been a tumultuous time that has still seen great strides in human progress, and which has been held together by an ancient yet utterly relevant institution. The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge’s successful tour of India and Bhutan reflects the rise of a new generation that will build on her Majesty’s legacy. That the modern royalty is so popular and approachable is thanks to her gifts as both sovereign and head of a family. Perhaps her most important job has been as mother, grandmother and, now, great-grandmother. Or, as Prince George simply calls her, “Gan-Gan.” Long live the Queen.
Beautifully written about our beloved Queen.

Read more: The Queen's birthday: 90 years in 90 seconds
The Queen's 90th birthday will be one of the highlights of 2016.

There are celebrations around both her actual birthday on April 21 and her official birthday on June 11.

To mark the occasion, The Telegraph has created a video of moments from every year of her life from 1926.

I almost teared up when I saw this video with 90 pictures of the Queen's 90 remarkable years.

Read more: The Queen turns 90: Allison Pearson on the world's best loved monarch
What’s your secret?’ her grandson, Prince Harry, asks her. She won’t tell him. It’s a curious fact that Queen Elizabeth II is the most photographed woman in history but she remains an enigma to her people, and even to her close family. We know her face as well as we know our own, but we can’t claim to know her.

All 5,300 breeding pairs of mute swans in the UK are officially owned by the Queen. Like them, she has perfected the art of looking unflappable on the surface, as the pictures over the following pages attest, but what it takes to achieve such steely serenity – well, that is a mystery and the key to her success.

Now, Elizabeth Alexandra Mary is celebrating her 90th birthday – a milestone in any life, but even more so for the grandmother of the nation, whose record-breaking reign will give its name to an era of both extreme change and blessed stability.

At 90, Her Majesty, as seen recently in ITN’s Our Queen at Ninety, is still on preposterously good form. At a time when most people her age are watching Countdown from their armchair, the Queen is ploughing through those daily red boxes or out riding a favourite pony.

For heaven’s sake, how many pensioners enter their 10th decade on horseback? Doesn’t she know that she’s old? Apparently not. Last year, Her Majesty carried out an astounding 306 engagements in the UK and 35 abroad, easily outperforming younger members of the Firm.

Watching our small, snowy Queen, in her sturdy court shoes, go about her duties with determination and undimmed zest is to find yourself reaching for the famous When Harry Met Sally line: ‘I’ll have what she’s having.’

A long, long time ago, on her 21st birthday, Princess Elizabeth made a solemn promise that brings tears to my eyes whenever I hear it. ‘I declare before you all,’ she said, ‘that my whole life, whether it be long or short, shall be devoted to your service.’

How lucky we are that that life proved to be long, not short, and that, at the grand old age of 90, the Queen goes on keeping that promise of her youth.

The photographs the Telegraph has selected to mark the occasion give a sweeping sense of time passing, but the woman at their centre has a remarkable secret: always changing, ever just the same. Happy birthday, Your Majesty. As Shakespeare put it: ‘To me, fair friend, you never can be old, For as you were when first your eye I eyed, Such seems your beauty still.’

Her promise to us, delivered in that youthful, crystal-clear voice, rings down the decades.

Elizabeth has been dedicated to our service, and will be until the last beat of her heart.
This is just the beginning of this very long article by Allison Pearson. She goes through the scandals/pleasures in the 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, 2000s and 2010s.

And as Charles, other family members and staffers says: This lady has enormous patience.

Reactions: eya
Yet another documentary: The Queen at 90 on Sky News - it will air Wednesday at 9pm. Interviews with William, Edward and Sophie who all looks to be very relaxed.

We already know about the documentaries: ITV's Our Queen at 90 and BBC's Elizabeth at 90.

Last edited:
Yet another documentary: The Queen at 90 on Sky News - it will air Wednesday at 9pm. Interviews with William, Edward and Sophie who all looks to be very relaxed.

We already know about the documentaries: ITV's Our Queen at 90 and BBC's Elizabeth at 90.

Is there a clip?

We'll be documentaried out at this rate! It is nice to see the family all be interviewed though as they all give little insights. It's always nice to hear her children talk about her as at the end of the day she is their mum.

If there'd been documentaries around in 1897 at the time of Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee (I know she didn't make it to 90) I wonder what Edward, Prince of Wales, and all the siblings would have said? She was a dominating force in her children and grandchildren's lives, unlike the present monarch.

Back
Top Bottom