The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Queen Elizabeth II and the Duke of Edinburgh

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-07-2016, 09:33 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR76 View Post
Might be a bit off topic, though that's nothing unusual when I'm involved, but does the UK parliament have a say in the rules of the Church of England concerning for example who should be able to get married or not?

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
As the established church, the Church of England is regulated by the UK parliament, so, yes, parliament does have a say in church rules generally.

Having said that, if I understand it correctly, when same-sex marriage was legalized in the UK, not only was the Church of England exempted from being forced to celebrate same-sex marriages, but also the Church's canon which defines marriage as a union between a man and woman was confirmed as not being in conflict with civil law. That was introduced in the legislation to accomodate the Church's objections to the bill.

Old 03-08-2016, 04:12 PM
Royal Highness

The Royal locomotive to steam back into service on Queen's 90th birthday - Get West London
Quote:
Steam train enthusiasts in Hounslow can catch a glimpse or prepare to board a royal locomotive the Princess Elizabeth locomotive in April.

In celebration of The Queen’s 90th birthday on Thursday April 21 2016, the Princess Elizabeth will embark on her first outing following a three-year refurbishment.

To mark the momentous occasion, The Cathedrals Express team have restored her back to her former glory, and ‘Lizzie’, as she is affectionately known will stop to pick up passengers in Hounslow.

People with a ticket can board the Royal train which is set to chug in at 6.40pm on a two-and-a-half-hour round trip , hauled by the very engine that was named after her in 1933.

The 6201 Princess Elizabeth will return to the tracks for the 90th Birthday Tour.

Old 03-08-2016, 05:55 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
VOLUNTEERS across the Somerton area donned gloves and grabbed their litter picking tongs to help spruce up the streets for the Queen's 90th birthday.

On Saturday (March 5) people across the country took part in Clean For The Queen, a nationwide campaign to clean up Britain in time for the 90th birthday of Queen Elizabeth II.

In Somerton, 15 volunteers, including town councillors Fiona Richardson and Martyn Smith, collected 38 bags of rubbish, together with miscellaneous pieces of scrap metal and other large items.

Litter was collected from 32 different areas including Polham Lane, Perry Hill Lane, the Horsemill Lane viewing area and the Unicorn and Half Moon car parks.
Read more: Clean For The Queen: Somerton and Curry Rivel volunteers clean up | Western Gazette

Quote:
RESIDENTS of the Firwood Fold area cleaned for the Queen initiative and collected more than 28 bags of rubbish.

Barbara Hacket, Peter Lowe, Trevor Hacket, Elizabeth Gibbons and Howard Gibbons all took part in the litter pick.

Mr Gibbons said: "I was appalled and disheartened by the volume of rubbish discarded around two lovely coarse angling locations located in this beautiful Firwood Fold area adjacent to Bradshaw Brook."
Firwood Fold residents collect 28 bags of rubbish as they 'clean for the Queen' (From This Is Lancashire)
Old 03-08-2016, 06:07 PM
Majesty

That's great!

I simply love steam locomotives. They are endlessly fascinating and beautiful machines.
They have a style that electric and diesel engines simply haven't evolved yet.
Old 03-10-2016, 07:05 PM
Royal Highness

Woman's Weekly Mag ‏@Womans_Weekly
Our special commemorative magazine to celebrate the Queen's 90th birthday is in shops now and not to be missed!
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CcJ5fpXUEAE_wV4.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
That's great!

I simply love steam locomotives. They are endlessly fascinating and beautiful machines.
They have a style that electric and diesel engines simply haven't evolved yet.
I love them too. We have two that go in tourist/special traffic in Norway, and you are right, they are very fascinating and beautiful machines.
Old 03-11-2016, 08:45 PM
Royal Highness

The BBC has chosen to broadcast the service as part of the 90th birthday celebrations, so I post it here.

BBC One will broadcast live from the Commonwealth Observance Day service at Westminster Abbey on March 14, from 14:45 British time. The service, attended by members of the Royal Family including The Queen, The Duke of Edinburgh and The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, will also be streamed internationally on bbc.com:
BBC One - The Queen's 90th Birthday: A Service of Celebration for Commonwealth Day
Old 03-16-2016, 12:27 PM
Heir Apparent

"In this two-hour landmark programme celebrating The Queen's 90th birthday, ITV cameras have been granted close access to the work of Her Majesty and other members of the Royal Family across the United Kingdom and overseas during the last year"

Our Queen at Ninety Episode 1
Old 03-16-2016, 01:26 PM
Imperial Majesty

I'm looking forward to seeing this doc.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 03-16-2016, 02:04 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Richard Palmer;
President Obama to wish the Queen happy 90th birthday in person.
https://twitter.com/royalreporter/st...48171721281537
Old 03-16-2016, 09:05 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by eya View Post
"In this two-hour landmark programme celebrating The Queen's 90th birthday, ITV cameras have been granted close access to the work of Her Majesty and other members of the Royal Family across the United Kingdom and overseas during the last year"

Our Queen at Ninety Episode 1
Quote:
Our Queen at Ninety includes individual contributions from many key figures in her life, including Their Royal Highnesses The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall, The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, Prince Harry, The Duke of York, Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie, The Countess of Wessex and Peter Phillips.

In addition, leading national and international figures will feature, including Prime Minister David Cameron, along with famous faces from the world of sport and entertainment, as well as material from the most comprehensive international film archives.

Viewers will also see Her Majesty attending and hosting various events, including a reception for the Rugby World Cup and the Chinese State Visit, as well as seeing Her Majesty working and relaxing at home.

Speaking about Her Majesty, HRH The Prince of Wales says: “I said to my mother the other day, do you realise that when you reach 90 I shall have known you for 68 years, she had to laugh a little bit.”

He continued: “When you think that all these years the Queen has been on throne, that in itself is a huge achievement, coping with so many different challenges and complications and always being there really in that remarkable way – steadfast.”

As she reaches her 90th birthday, this film aims to offer a fresh insight into our monarch's life and work; a remarkable story of an extraordinary life which in so many ways reflects the changing face of the nation.
The Queen's birthday: Date confirmed for highly anticipated documentary Our Queen at Ninety
Quote:
ITV have confirmed the transmission date of their highly anticipated documentary to mark the Queen's 90th birthday. Called Our Queen at Ninety, the two-hour long film will air on Sunday 27 March at 8pm.
Old 03-18-2016, 05:59 PM
Heir Apparent

Queen Elizabeth 90th Birthday Tea and Gifts : People.com

Who want a bite of the Queen's purse?
Old 03-18-2016, 08:01 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by eya View Post
Queen Elizabeth 90th Birthday Tea and Gifts : People.com

Who want a bite of the Queen's purse?
The purse is my fav too! It takes a sense of humor to approve this, and I really appreciate that from all the ladies involved!
Old 03-18-2016, 09:28 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Our Queen At Ninety documentary follows The Queen as she turns 90 | Daily Mail Online

includes what many and hoped footage of the Diplomatic Reception - a picture of Kate is in the article which properly shows her in the Cambridge tiara and that ice blue mcQueen gown can be seen better

Old 03-18-2016, 09:29 PM
Heir Apparent

Emily Nash ‏@emynash
Charles, William, Kate, Harry, Andrew and Eugenie have paid tribute to the Queen in an @ITV documentary #OurQueenat90 which airs March 27

Emily Nash ‏@emynash
#Kate on #PrincessCharlotte "It's very special having a new little girl. I feel very, very lucky that George has got a little sister."

Emily Nash ‏@emynash
#Kate: "The Queen was really thrilled that it was a little girl..as soon as we came back to Kensington she was one of our first visitors."

Emily Nash ‏@emynash
#Kate on HM: “She's been very generous in not being forceful at all in any of her views..she's been there, a gentle guidance really for me.”

Emily Nash ‏@emynash
#Kate on walkabouts: "Everyone teases me in the family that I spend far too long chatting...I've still got to learn a little bit more."

Emily Nash ‏@emynash
#Kate: "George is only 2 1/2and he calls her ‘Gan-Gan.’ She always leaves a little gift or something in their room when we go and stay.."

Emily Nash ‏@emynash
William on the #Queen: "I've seen people literally faint in front of her. There's a lot of trembling knees and people can't talk sometimes."

Emily Nash ‏@emynash
#PrinceHarry on his grandmother #TheQueen: "I have been asking her for years what her secret is, but she won’t tell me.” @ITV #OurQueenat90
Old 03-19-2016, 04:24 AM
Heir Apparent

The Queen and Duke of Edinburgh are happiest at Balmoral reveals Princess Eugenie | Daily Mail Online
Old 03-19-2016, 06:18 AM
Royal Highness

This is an article you simply must read. It's written by Robert Hardman who also wrote this documentary and the documentary Our Queen in 2013. He is also the author of the book Our Queen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessofEurope View Post
Our Queen At Ninety documentary follows The Queen as she turns 90 | Daily Mail Online

includes what many and hoped footage of the Diplomatic Reception - a picture of Kate is in the article which properly shows her in the Cambridge tiara and that ice blue mcQueen gown can be seen better
Videos:
Our Queen at 90: New film offers rare glimpse into Queen's life as she approaches 90th birthday - ITV News
Old 03-19-2016, 07:23 AM
Heir Apparent

Hopefully not every thing in the documentary will be revealed before it aired and there is still more of Kate especially that we don't see until it airs. They hyped William's interview prior to the Our Queen documentary and almost all of it was out due the to articles prior to air.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 03-19-2016, 09:10 AM
Royal Highness

More from Robert Hardman:
Prince Harry reveals huge admiration for The Queen in upcoming documentary | Daily Mail Online
Quote:
As the Queen prepares to celebrate a very personal milestone, an historic television documentary is set to offer viewers a side of the sovereign never seen before.

And in Our Queen At Ninety, her grandson Prince Harry said he had been asking his grandmother for years ‘what her secret is, but she won’t tell me’.

In the fascinating documentary - which includes contributions from more members of the Royal Family than any royal documentary ever made - the Prince also tells of his admiration for his grandmother, adding: ‘I look at the Commonwealth and it’s a force for good across the whole world'.

Our Queen At Ninety, is an historic two-hour ITV documentary which will be broadcast for the first time on Easter Sunday.

There is glorious footage spanning Her Majesty's whole life, including some beautiful, never-seen-before home-movie clips of her days as a young Royal Navy wife in Malta.

The viewer will also hear how the Queen has gently guided and encouraged successive royal generations. The makers of the film, including the Mail’s Robert Hardman, between them interviewed 11 members of the Royal Family.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
Hopefully not every thing in the documentary will be revealed before it aired and there is still more of Kate especially that we don't see until it airs. They hyped William's interview prior to the Our Queen documentary and almost all of it was out due the to articles prior to air.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Hopefully not, but considering what I've read in these articles, I think we have most of the William/Harry and maybe Kate interviews.

I am really looking forward to this documentary, but I must say that I prefer the BBC when it comes to royal documentaries. The Diamond Queen (2012) and The Queen at 80 (2006) was both very well directed/written. Elizabeth R: A Year in the Life of the Queen (1992) and Monarchy: The Royal Family at Work (2007) were also quite good. And therefore I look forward to what the BBC has described as a landmark BBC One documentary, but we have no information about it yet.
Old 03-19-2016, 09:29 AM
Heir Apparent

I'm looking forward to this documentary too, but I wish all the snippets of the younger royals weren't used to publicise it. This has been done before and spoils the whole thing in a way.
Old 03-19-2016, 09:50 AM
Imperial Majesty

Yeah, don't spoil this doc for everyone. I'm looking forward to seeing it.

I am glad we got a glimpse of the diplomatic reception though. I just think if they can show the event in a documentary, they could also release some official pictures on the day of the event. I mean, who knew William wear his Garter on his left calf on this occasion?

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS