90th Birthday Celebrations of Queen Elizabeth: May and June 2016

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm skeptical about the release of a photo woth all her grandchildren as well, but to me it wouldn't make sense a photo with only George and Charlotte. Perhaps it would be more logic one with all the heis again, but I doubt we'll see another 4 generation picture.

I think it'd be a nice gesture to release a huge family picture though. Reaching 90 years old is a milestone and the british royal family should seize this chance to have a whole big pic, as it will likely be the last big phot with HM. JMO

A photo with maybe William and Kate may be released - the most important grandchild and his wife. Maybe Harry in as well.

I also suspect she has a few with the great-grandchildren but as three of them aren't royal I don't think there will be one released will all of them - simply because their parents want them to have a more private upbringing and not have that sort of publicity at all. That should be respected.

I get the sense that Charles' alleged idea of a smaller royal family will be seen this year with only the senior royals in any photo released as a photo of the full extended family would garner negative publicity and comments about 'spongers' and 'wasters' etc from the commentators on the DM. They were bad enough with the turn out at the Easter service.

I suspect that even on the birthday church service day, if there is a balcony appearance that day as well as the next at Trooping and then again on the Sunday it will be the Wales branch of the family being the ones seen and the others out of the way.

It may not be confirmed that Charles wants a smaller royal family from his mouth but the mounting evidence of who is front and centre and the way the family is being presented - e.g. on George and Charlotte in any photo of the great-grandchildren issued - is very suggestive of this idea.

A photo with maybe William and Kate may be released - the most important grandchild and his wife. Maybe Harry in as well.

I also suspect she has a few with the great-grandchildren but as three of them aren't royal I don't think there will be one released will all of them - simply because their parents want them to have a more private upbringing and not have that sort of publicity at all. That should be respected.

I get the sense that Charles' alleged idea of a smaller royal family will be seen this year with only the senior royals in any photo released as a photo of the full extended family would garner negative publicity and comments about 'spongers' and 'wasters' etc from the commentators on the DM. They were bad enough with the turn out at the Easter service.

I suspect that even on the birthday church service day, if there is a balcony appearance that day as well as the next at Trooping and then again on the Sunday it will be the Wales branch of the family being the ones seen and the others out of the way.

It may not be confirmed that Charles wants a smaller royal family from his mouth but the mounting evidence of who is front and centre and the way the family is being presented - e.g. on George and Charlotte in any photo of the great-grandchildren issued - is very suggestive of this idea.

This is the Queen's 90th birthday which is a personal family event, and you can't compare it with the Diamond Jubilee who was a celebration of her reign. And according to a reliable source that Nicholas Witchell spoke with after the balcony appearance in 2012, it was the Queen and not Charles who wanted to focus on the future and the succession that will follow her.

I'm sure we will see the whole family on the balcony for the Trooping which according to the Telegraph and other sites will be the only balcony appearance. And neither this or the releasing of a possible family photo will be decided on the basis of what the ignorant, sick, spiteful bullies writes in the Daily Fail comment section.

Last edited:
Of course we will see the whole family on the balcony for Trooping. It is the only time they all appear.

The announcement about who would appear for the Diamond Jubilee was announced in March - despite what the Charles haters say. Who decided that - who knows - certainly not a reporter.

As for the comments on the DM site - they are increasingly expressing dissatisfaction with the BRF and that is something of which any public figures should take note. If they don't they could lose everything. About 5 years ago the DM was totally on the side of the royals but now it is half and half (and that is the reporters not the readers). That they are able to sell papers with a half and half support approach says that the DrM is reading the mood of the people and only ostriches wouldn't be taking note. What they decide to do about it is their business but a wholesale photo with 50 or so members of the BRF wouldn't go down all that well with a large percentage of the population (even many royalists don't want a family of such a size but one where only the monarch, monarch's children and adult direct heir's grandchildren are seen at all while the others fade into the background to appear at family functions, not national celebrations, only. (That is what I suspect is going to happen in the next two reigns so that we may not even see the York girls and other cousins at William and George's coronations - certainly not in a prominent position with carriages and processions).

The Daily Mail does not represent public opinion. The commentators are not all British either. In the same way, social media incl Twitter and forums dont represent public opinion either.

I don't believe that the BRF would respond to those comments.

As for the comments on the DM site - they are increasingly expressing dissatisfaction with the BRF and that is something of which any public figures should take note. If they don't they could lose everything. About 5 years ago the DM was totally on the side of the royals but now it is half and half (and that is the reporters not the readers). That they are able to sell papers with a half and half support approach says that the DrM is reading the mood of the people and only ostriches wouldn't be taking note. What they decide to do about it is their business but a wholesale photo with 50 or so members of the BRF wouldn't go down all that well with a large percentage of the population (even many royalists don't want a family of such a size but one where only the monarch, monarch's children and adult direct heir's grandchildren are seen at all while the others fade into the background to appear at family functions, not national celebrations, only. (That is what I suspect is going to happen in the next two reigns so that we may not even see the York girls and other cousins at William and George's coronations - certainly not in a prominent position with carriages and processions).

Considering the racist, sexist, homophobic and downright nasty comments I see on non royal stories, I sincerely hope DM comments don't actually reflect the views of the UK general public

I should add that the newspaper daily mail is not managed or edited by the same people. Separate entities, under the same ownership

Well, I doubt that a photo with all her grandchildren in it would undermine the privacy the parents want for them.:flowers: I just think that there wouldn't be a better occasion as this to take and release a big family photo. I would be a unique and historical memento.

My gut feeling is that the family photograph we're hoping to see will be taken by the thousands and thousands of cell phone photographers as the Royal Family steps out onto the balcony this year at Trooping the Color. I think if there were plans for a public release of a family portrait, it would have been announced by now.

But then again, what do I know? :D

I don't think this should be discussed here, maybe the mods can move some of Iluvbertie's posts and the other posts (Including mine) to the media thread?

Of course we will see the whole family on the balcony for Trooping. It is the only time they all appear.
But you wrote this:
About 5 years ago the DM was totally on the side of the royals but now it is half and half (and that is the reporters not the readers).
This is wrong. Richard Kay and other DM journalists have always been after Charles and Camilla, Hardcastle/Shakespeare and other DM journalists have always written the most ridiculous things about the royal family, but they have gotten worse in the coverage of William/Kate since 2013 and especially William in 2016.

The newspaper Daily Mail is not as bad as Mail Online and as cepe wrote, the newspaper is not managed or edited by the same people. Separate entities, under the same ownership. And as cepe also wrote, the Mail and its commentators does not represent public opinion. The commentators are not all British either. In the same way, social media incl Twitter and forums dont represent public opinion either.

When it comes to the DM comments - they have always been very bad. I hadn't read the DM comment section since 2012 until I did it this week, and I soon found out that I've not missed anything. I decided quickly that I'm not going to continue to read that crap, but I will say this: I actually thinks they where better now than in 2012. And as cepe also correctly wrote, I don't believe that the BRF would respond to those comments.

Considering the racist, sexist, homophobic and downright nasty comments I see on non royal stories, I sincerely hope DM comments don't actually reflect the views of the UK general public
As cepe wrote, they don't. And you're right - they are racist, sexist, homophobic, but they are also ignorant, sick, spiteful bullies.

Queen to light beacon in 90th birthday celebration - BBC News

Queen to light a chain of 1,000 beacons across Britain for her 90th birthday | Daily Mail Online

Queen 90: The Queen is set to light the first of 1,00 beacons to mark her birthday | Royal | News | Daily Express
April 20:
The Queen will also be out and about the day before her birthday, carrying out two engagements on April 20.

She will meet long-serving postmen and women during a visit to the Royal Mail Windsor delivery office to commemorate the 500th anniversary of the postal service.

Joined by Philip, the Queen will view the operation of the caller's office and see a demonstration of mail sorting, before watching a performance by the Royal Mail choir, made up of front-line staff from Bristol, who featured in the BBC series The Choir: Sing While You Work.

In her second engagement, the Queen will open a new bandstand in Alexandra Gardens, close to Windsor Castle, meeting school children who were involved in its decoration.
April 21:
Buckingham Palace has revealed the Queen's diary of engagements for her birthday, which also includes a walkabout near Windsor Castle.

She will also unveil a plaque at the foot of Windsor's Castle Hill to mark The Queen's Walkway.

The 6.3km self-guided walking trail, designed by The Outdoor Trust, connects 63 points of significance in Windsor and celebrates the Queen's record as the country's longest reigning monarch.

She will then head out on a birthday walkabout - just like she did on her 80th - to see the expected crowds of well-wishers.

To coincide with the Queen's beacon-lighting ceremony, local authorities will host similar events across the country, making a network of beacons.

Queen set to spend her 90th birthday without the majority of her family
A Buckingham Palace spokesperson said: “The Queen will be accompanied by The Duke of Edinburgh at all times [on April 21], and by The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall at the Beacon lighting.

“No other members of the Royal Family will be present for these engagements – but of course, there will be other official engagements in the summer for the Official Birthday in June, at which other members of the Royal Family will be present.”
I've read that on other sites that Charles will likely host a birthday dinner for her on the ewning as he din in 2006, and I'm sure the whole family will be there.

Queen will party with 10,000 in Mall for 90th birthday despite terror threat | Latest News | Breaking UK News & World News Headlines | Daily Star
Police will endeavour to throw a ring of steel around the giant street party in The Mall near Buckingham Palace on June 12.

But security experts fear they will have little control over who attends the event. Most tickets for the open-air bash will be going out to invited guests.

But charities linked to the Queen are being allowed to sell 40% of their ticket allocation to boost their donations coffers.

They will be made available to the general public via raffles and auctions throughout Britain. That means police and the security services face the nightmare prospect of up to 4,000 “unknowns” attending.

Royal insiders say the Queen will insist on being visible and will not hide behind bullet-proof screens or other security apparatus.

A source said: “Policing a royal event is difficult at the best of times. This is a nightmare scenario as the final destination of so many of these tickets will be unknown.”

I must say that I am not the least surprised! The queen has always put on a brave face and carried on, even in frightening times!

Well, to make things relative: the Queen knows she has the very best protection available. Protection people like you or me do not have when we enter an airport or a metro station. It makes difference to go to a meeting knowing there were bomb checks on beforehand, with continue CCTV-surveillances from buildings and drones, with metal detectors and safety dogs in the streets and the very best snipers on the rooftops.

A sabre squadron of SAS commandos will be deployed to the Mall as well. The Queen knows she has the best looking out for her

Well, to make things relative: the Queen knows she has the very best protection available. Protection people like you or me do not have when we enter an airport or a metro station. It makes difference to go to a meeting knowing there were bomb checks on beforehand, with continue CCTV-surveillances from buildings and drones, with metal detectors and safety dogs in the streets and the very best snipers on the rooftops.

True, but a determined assassin or group can be hard to stop.

Presidents Kennedy and Reagan were still shot despite close Secret Service protection. The IRA still managed to blow up the Conservative Party conference in Brighton despite the security services being aware of the general threat from republican groups. I know protection has improved since the 1980's but I would think both the Secret Service and Scotland Yard would have claimed their protection was the very best at that time.

The Queen has always said she has to be seen to be believed. I can't see her (or King Charles for that matter) not interacting with the public out of security concerns.

The Royal Mint will today release a commemorative £5 coin to mark the Queen’s 90th birthday – its design unveiled here exclusively in The Mail on Sunday.

Created by artist and sculptor Christopher Hobbs, the coin features a classical garland of nine roses – one for each of the Queen’s decades – as well as the Royal cypher ‘EIIR’, and number 90.

The £5 coin comes in a variety of finishes and metals including silver, gold and platinum gold, with prices from £20 to an astonishing £5,000 for a rare platinum edition.

The Queen turns 90 on April 21 but including her age on the coin was a controversial move, Mr Hobbs said. ‘I thought it was important to have the 90 prominently on the coin, but I was told it raised a few eyebrows at the palace,’ he told The Mail on Sunday.

‘Apparently it’s not the done thing pointing out the Queen’s age but I think in this case it was absolutely necessary and the point was taken. I am told the design was submitted to the Queen and she passed it.’

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/04/02/22/32C8514100000578-3520874-image-a-31_1459634288290.jpg

A schoolgirl from Stamford has been selected as finalist in a nationwide competition to design a birthday cake to celebrate the Queen’s 90th birthday and be sold in supermarkets.

Budding designers were asked by Waitrose to create and design the retailer’s official cake to celebrate the historic occasion, with hundreds of entrants narrowed down to just five finalists from across the UK.

Tilly Chisholm, from Stamford, was among the five finalists who were invited to meet the judges at the final stage of the competition at the Waitrose Cookery School in King’s Cross.
Read more: Stamford schoolgirl reaches final five of nationwide Waitrose competition to design a cake for the Queen’s 90th birthday - Rutland and Stamford Mercury

does anyone know where the documentary Our Queen At 90 can be found? looks like it was removed from the original location in youtube :(

does anyone know where the documentary Our Queen At 90 can be found? looks like it was removed from the original location in youtube :(

The full version is still on youtube but not the one previously posted.

I don't see Our Queen at 90 on youtube. Not the whole thing anyway. Just snippits of it. I'd like to watch it too and didn't get to it before they took it down.

I don't see Our Queen at 90 on youtube. Not the whole thing anyway. Just snippits of it. I'd like to watch it too and didn't get to it before they took it down.

I just checked and it was taken down.

I think you need to keep checking as it appears the person or people are putting it on youtube and it stays for several days before being taken down.

Those are really wonderful and puzzling gowns! I had never seen those items before, nor did I thought the queen was much the type to wear that style! Thanks eya!

Reactions: eya
The creations in her wardrobe has calmed down these days, but so much beautiful details were applied to her dresses back in the day. She was a very fashionable in her day.

For anyone who still hasn't seen Our Queen at 90, I just watched it on dailymotion.com. It's in 7 parts, but it is all there.

Back
Top Bottom