The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Queen Elizabeth II and the Duke of Edinburgh

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-03-2016, 04:44 PM
Royal Highness

32-page Glossy Daily Mail Souvenir Magazine celebrating the Queen's 90th birthday | Daily Mail Online
Quote:
JOIN the Daily Mail in celebrating the remarkable life of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, as we look back at the last 90 years. In the first of a two-part series of beautifully collated, candid images of the Queen, we admire these rarely seen snapshots of her achievements both in power and at home that we've celebrated as a nation. Presented in a sumptuous 32-page glossy magazine, this truly heart-warming collection will be something to treasure.
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/...7005849421.jpg

Old 03-04-2016, 10:57 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Prince Richard joined pupils from Park Lane Primary School in Park Lane, to pick up litter in King Edward Park as part of a campaign by Keep Britain Tidy to clear up the country ahead of The Queen’s official 90th birthday in June.

The Duke, who is a first cousin to Queen Elizabeth II and 24th in line to the throne, said: “If we can use Clean For The Queen to make people think about the damage that litter can do, it will be a very valuable exercise.

“I know it will give great pleasure to Her Majesty to know that her birthday has created something so wonderful which will help us to all look after our beautiful country.”
Read more: HRH The Duke of Gloucester joins children in Wembley to ‘Clean for the Queen’ - Environment - Kilburn Times

Old 03-05-2016, 11:59 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
"Cadet, would you stand before the Queen in those boots?!"

That phrase, so often shouted in training sessions for the RCMP Musical Ride, now carries a lot more meaning for Const. Sean Roche.

A team of Mounties and their equine partners will be flying to Britain in May to take part in a special five-day celebration of the Queen's 90th birthday.

More than 900 horses from all over the Commonwealth will be taking part, including the Canadian contingent.

"It's pretty exciting, it's pretty neat," Roche said.

He'll be performing with his partner Visty, a 15-year-old Hanoverian mare standing 17 hands tall.
Read more: RCMP Musical Ride headed to Britain for Queen's 90th birthday - Ottawa - CBC News
Old 03-05-2016, 12:11 PM
Royal Highness

Collectible souvenirs for Queen's 90th birthday slated - The Scotsman
Quote:
Mr Gerrard, who is head of product design consultancy Gerrard and Medd, was the Scottish representative on the selection committee for approved souvenirs for the 1981 marriage of Prince Charles and Diana.

He expressed his astonishment that the gold-encrusted china, decorated in forget-me-nots and cornflowers – which traditionally flower in April, the month the monarch was born, and in June, the month of her official birthday – was chosen as the official Royal Collection Trust range.

“Quite who decided on producing such ephemeral objects to commemorate a monarch of the technological age, I cannot imagine,” he said.
Old 03-05-2016, 12:13 PM
Imperial Majesty

I hope Britian and Commonwealth really get out and make these celebrations an event like no other. The Queen is now in the last years of her life. Let's go above and beyond in celebrating her life and say thank you to her for her many years of service and dedication.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 03-05-2016, 12:44 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Although it may not mean a hill of beans, I'm getting into the spirit of things here on a mountain in West Virginia and going to do an extensive spring cleaning around here. I love the expression "Clean for the Queen". I'm also really looking forward to seeing as much of the celebrations I can and follow them extensively here at TRF.

She is one extraordinary lady and deserves extraordinary celebrations. Even me with my mop and bucket.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 03-05-2016, 12:59 PM
Heir Apparent

Wow that looks so much like Lady Louise!
Old 03-05-2016, 07:06 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
The Queen was dragged into a dramatic row over the European Union referendum amid warnings that Downing Street could try to hijack her 90th birthday celebrations to boost the case for staying in the EU.

Senior sources warned that they were worried the Queen could come under pressure to show her support for Britain's continuing EU membership during her official 90th birthday celebrations in mid-June.

Preparations are under way for a weekend of celebrations to honour the Queen’s official 90th birthday in mid-June, including a service at St Paul’s Cathedral and a street party for 10,000 guests in The Mall.

However, there are fears that the government could try to “spin” the events – and any message to the nation from the Queen – to bolster the case for the Remain campaign in the referendum vote that will be held 11 days later.

One said: “There is concern that she could be asked to drop a hint. The Palace is determined to protect the Queen this year.”
Read more: Aides fear Downing Street will hijack Queen's birthday - Telegraph
Old 03-05-2016, 07:28 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
Thanks.

Wouldn't such an attempt backfire big time?
Old 03-05-2016, 08:42 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
Thanks.

Wouldn't such an attempt backfire big time?
I think after many, many years on the throne, HM would be wise to any political ploy to "spin" anything that she happens to say. Other than maybe expressing her gratitude for the well wishes from the people, she will say absolutely nothing.

She is *the* mistress of tact and diplomacy.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 03-06-2016, 01:48 AM
Royal Highness

Image of Queen 20 times smaller than human hair carved to celebrate 90th birthday | Royal | News | Daily Express
Quote:
Graham Short spent three months carving the world’s smallest picture of Her Majesty, which at five microns is a 20th of the thickness of a human hair.

The image is invisible to the naked eye and can only be seen with a medical microscope at 400x magnification.

It took Mr Short, 69, around 30 attempts before he was able to complete it. Engraving at such a level requires an almost superhuman effort and dedication.

Mr Short said: “I take potassium, magnesium and beta-blockers during the night in an effort to lower my heart rate.

“Then, while wearing a stethoscope, I engrave using the finest needles possible between my heart beats.

“I work from midnight to 5.30am to avoid vibration from passing traffic. If a lorry passes a few blocks away I can feel it through the microscope.”

He also has a regular course of Botox injections into his eyelids to “prevent distraction”.

Next month the Queen will become the first reigning British monarch to reach her 90th birthday.

Birmingham based Mr Short, who also engraves all the stationery for the royal residences, said: “Artists all over Britain will be producing portraits of the Queen. I wanted to do something really special, something that none of the seven billion people on the planet could comprehend.”
Old 03-06-2016, 04:52 PM
Royal Highness

Ascot to rename Gold Cup to honour Queen's 90th birthday - BBC Sport
Quote:
This year's Gold Cup at the Royal meeting will be renamed to mark the Queen's 90th birthday, Ascot racecourse has announced.

The two-and-a-half mile race, won by Her Majesty's Estimate in 2013, will now be called the Gold Cup in Honour of The Queen's 90th birthday.

Her Majesty's representative at Ascot, Johnny Weatherby, said the Queen is "delighted" by the decision.

The race, which will be run on 16 June, will revert to the Gold Cup in 2017.
Volunteers pick litter ahead of Queen's 90th birthday | London - ITV News
Quote:
Gloves were on and bags were hand as volunteers gave up their Sunday out in the cold to clean for the Queen in Kensington.

It's a government backed idea asking people to spend a few hours picking up litter ahead of the Queen's 90th birthday.
Old 03-06-2016, 04:55 PM
Imperial Majesty

Why clean now? The Queen's official birthday celebrations takes place in June.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 03-06-2016, 05:13 PM
Royal Highness

There is some event with other Royal families?
Old 03-06-2016, 06:47 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Why clean now? The Queen's official birthday celebrations takes place in June.
Well... for starters there's a lot of planning that goes into it which may take a month. So I figure with HM's actual birth date in April and the official birthday in June, I've plenty of leeway to really get things done and done right just as all the planning for the extravaganzas are being done with utmost care. Gotta rope in the crew here and get them on board for the project. I really don't think our Dawg is going to be much help.
― John Lennon
Old 03-07-2016, 01:54 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Why the Queen believed gay marriage shouldn't be allowed | Daily Mail Online
Old 03-07-2016, 06:30 AM
Majesty

Thanks Duke of Marmalade.

That's unfair towards QEII.
She's going on 90 and she's a product of her time. No one can expect her to be fully up to date on what is currently politically correct.
Old 03-07-2016, 07:43 AM
Royal Highness

What is the Queen's "intriguing deal" with Prince William referred to in the article ?
Old 03-07-2016, 07:49 AM
Heir Apparent

The DM is doing a stories of stories for the the Queen's 90th birthday.

Considering it's Richard Kay And Geoffrey Levy doing the 'writing', we need to take it with a 1000 grains of salt. Remember the headline - "Royal Reporters make it all up, doesn't everyone know that?"
Old 03-07-2016, 08:02 AM
Courtier

Might be a bit off topic, though that's nothing unusual when I'm involved, but does the UK parliament have a say in the rules of the Church of England concerning for example who should be able to get married or not?

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app