The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-11-2015, 04:58 PM
Imperial Majesty

Infanta Cristina's Ducal Title Revoked; June 2015

According to ABC newspaper, King Felipe has signed a decree withdrawing Infanta Cristina the title of Duchess of Palma de Mallorca. It will be official tomorrow.

El Rey revoca el t?tulo de Duquesa de Palma a Do?a Cristina - ABC.es

Yes, it's official, the Royal House announced it. It will be published tomorrow in the Official Gazette.

It was inevitable. Most of the illicit business of Noos were in Mallorca, it was clear that the citizens of Mallorca disagreed that they continued to use a title used for profiting in those businesses. They already withdrawn some time ago the street with their title in the city.

Infanta Cristina has shown no intention of giving up her dynastic rights, and this was the honor that was easier to withdraw.

Old 06-11-2015, 05:13 PM
Majesty

wait... what? It'd better be true or Abc won't be cutting a good figure... is that a reliable source?

Old 06-11-2015, 05:21 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by lula View Post
According to ABC newspaper, King Felipe has signed a decree withdrawing Infanta Cristina the title of Duchess of Palma de Mallorca. It will be official tomorrow.

That's huge news !

Nevertheless, we must not forget that, under the Spanish constitution, responsibility falls with the minister who co-signs the royal decree, in that case, according to the text published by ABC, Mariano Rajoy. That is legally the case even if it is indeed a personal decision of the King.

I guess the next logical step would be to remove Cristina from the line of succession, but that cannot be done by royal decree alone. It would require an organic law passed by both houses of parliament (as was the case with King Juan Carlos' abdication).
Old 06-11-2015, 05:55 PM
Serene Highness

Ok the next step will be the removing from the line of sucession and I hope also the stripping of the HRH and Infanta title.
I think mr and mrs. Urdangarin will be perfect
Old 06-11-2015, 06:00 PM
Heir Apparent

I think that what is urgent is they to be judged and fast.... what are they waiting for !
Old 06-11-2015, 06:13 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

She should have renounced her succession rights a long time ago,its a pity it had to come to this.
She'll still be Her Royal Highness the Infanta Cristina of Spain and fifth in the line of succession to the Spanish throne.
Old 06-11-2015, 06:25 PM
Moderator Emeritus
Royal Blogger

6th, after the Princess of Asturias, Infanta Sofia, the Duchess of Lugo, Froilán and Victoria de Marichalar y Borbón.
Old 06-11-2015, 06:34 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
She should have renounced her succession rights a long time ago,its a pity it had to come to this.
She'll still be Her Royal Highness the Infanta Cristina of Spain and fifth in the line of succession to the Spanish throne.
Agree. I'm fine with the King and the Royal House decision, it's totally understandable, but it's her who should have renounced personally.

After her (and her husband's) shameless behaviour you would expects a little more dignity...but she keeps letting her image sink among the Spanish people. But then, she probably couldn't care less

Vote in TRF Fashion Polls!

Old 06-11-2015, 07:03 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by rominet09 View Post
I think that what is urgent is they to be judged and fast.... what are they waiting for !

Truth. This scandal never ends.
Old 06-11-2015, 10:18 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by lula View Post

'

Has anybody blamed Letizia yet?
Old 06-11-2015, 11:36 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieGiraffe View Post
'

Ha ha soon I think

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 06-11-2015, 11:50 PM
Administrator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

What a lovely early 50th birthday present for the Infanta.
Old 06-11-2015, 11:51 PM
Royal Highness

I learned on another Royal MB that the King and Cristina discussed the situation of revoking her Palma title when both were at Prince Kardam's Memorial Mass. Lula, have you read anything to this effect?
Old 06-12-2015, 12:36 AM
Imperial Majesty

The decision is totally understandable.
Spanish King Felipe VI strips sister of duchess title over tax evasion charges
Old 06-12-2015, 12:43 AM
Imperial Majesty

I would hope none of this stuff is affecting the relationships between her and her family.

A.W. TOZER
Old 06-12-2015, 12:47 AM
Majesty

It has undoubtedly impacted the dynamic of the entire SRF, who were once such a tight knit clan. Tragic.

I feel especially sad for the Urdangarin kids.

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Old 06-12-2015, 01:20 AM
Majesty

Is something soon or later happening. Very logical move from King.
Old 06-12-2015, 02:06 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieGiraffe View Post
'

For what would she be blamed? I hope she isn't still victimized as she actually seems like a strong lady to me.

I see the 'innocent until proven guilty' is not a sentiment shared by many, including the court and the king. Nobody has been convicted yet so it seems a bit premature. Though this action shows that the royal court has not a lot of faith in what will happen next. Perhaps rightly so.

I suppose it makes the court look pro-active. That it was the king withdrawing the title distances him even further from the mess, which is a sensible harm-reduction policy. If Cristina would have given up the title herself the sentiment would most likely be 'why didn't she give up her HRH too?' While now she seems to be punished and humiliated which may apease some of the Spanish public for now.

I can't help but feel sorry for the family. They must have suffered a lot these last years and the list of humiliations is not over yet. Of course it is self-inlicted, but still... I am sure that many in Spain and elsewhere will be gloating over this but I don't think it wise to beat somebody who is already down.
Old 06-12-2015, 03:31 AM
Serene Highness

I don't understand why she does not give up her succession rights and her infanta title herself and be plain mrs. Urdangarin.

Maybe/hopefully that this will be the next step after her conviction
Old 06-12-2015, 03:52 AM
Imperial Majesty

This is not something that has been decided in 1 week. This is a "war" Juan Carlos began and Felipe continued.

From the Royal House, they have always asked the Infanta a gesture, a waiver ... something that shows she regrets, she has done the wrong thing and has damaged the Crown. But she always refused.

She had to know that if she did not renounce the succession rights, something that has been asked from many sectors of Spanish society, in the end the king would do all he can do, take the noble title.

Now her lawyer tries to sell to the press that she has sent a letter to his brother relinquishing the title... when surely she knew what was going to happen. The lawyer wants to use this to clean up her image, when we all know that she still refuses to do the real important gesture, legally dependent on her.