The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal Family of Spain > Infanta Cristina, Iñaki Urdangarín and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-06-2015, 03:23 PM
Serene Highness

I would think Felipe is thinking his mother loves all her children and grand children.

Old 05-06-2015, 03:25 PM
Serene Highness

I don't think they are scape goats I do think they got greedy and greed will do you in every time.

Old 05-06-2015, 03:48 PM
Super Moderator

Well, I say congratulations to little Irene on her first communion and I am pleased that Queen Sofia attended the event and was photographed in that group - Irene and the other children should be protected from all of this as much as possible and for things to be as normal as possible for them.
Old 05-06-2015, 05:51 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Congratulations to Irene upon her First Holy Communion.

Irene has gotten so grown up now! She's adorable and I love her Communion dress and the way her hair has been styled. It's nice that we got a photo but I'm a bit disappointed that Juan Carlos didn't attend. It seems that he is rather distant from his grandchildren, but it's lovely that Sofia clearly cares about them a lot, and I've always thought she has a particularly close bond with Irene.

The corruption case isn't the children's fault, and it's a shame that the press is being harsh about them. I've gotten the impression the Spanish press is one of the worst when it comes to negativity about the royals. I hope the children are able to live a fairly normal life in Geneva and are enjoying school.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 05-06-2015, 06:23 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_bina View Post
Thanks for the photos!
Infanta Christina's family appears to be tight-knit. It is unfortunate that King Juan Carlos did not wish to attend.
Considering the situation I doubt he could have done it if he wanted
Old 05-06-2015, 08:23 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
What a beautiful family! All of the children are so big now... I can't believe that all of the boys are teenagers and Irene is almost 10. When I first started following royalty, the boys were about 8, 6, and 4, and Irene was less than 2 years old.

I'm glad that the children appear to be happy and very loved, despite all that's been going on in their lives and their parents' lives over the past four years. They certainly appear to have a tight support network.

Why didn't King Juan Carlos or King Felipe and his family attend? Is it because being associated with Cristina and Iñaki at this point would be harmful and seen very negatively in the press and by the Spanish people?
Old 05-07-2015, 02:17 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

While I have no problem at all with Sofia showing her solidarity and her presence at her grandchildren's communion, I don't understand why she has to do it by posing for an exclusive picture for HOLA. Irene is a private person and should stay away from the press as far as possible, Cristina is not a member of the SRF any longer and should not put herself - and her children - willingly into the focus of the media by agreeing to such a photo. Why?

Regarding Juan Carlos, why couldn't he have attended even if he wanted? He does what he wants anyway. As I said, maybe he was there but didn't want to pose for a gossip magazine with the family but maybe he wasn't because he had more important things on his personal agenda.

Having said that, so far JC has attended all his grandchildren's communion as far as I can remember, but that was when he was king and it was the sensible thing to do, and he may be closer to his male/older grandchildren anyway.
Old 05-07-2015, 01:08 PM
Serene Highness

I don't think that JC was ever a proper practicing Roman Catholic. So an occasion of great importance as a grandchild's First Holy Communion would not really cause him to go out of his way anymore to attend. When he was king, sure it would be a great photo op. But now, he would not care. His personal new life is more important to him. He has the money to lead the life he wants and will now do it. I honestly think he will enjoy himself now to the best of his ability without any pressure from citizens or government. Best of all worlds for self-centered him. Sofia is a family person and devote RC. She would never miss honoring her grandchild's religious step.

Did HOLA agree to pay Cristina and Inaki for publishing photo? I know they are famous for doing so with other members of royal families? Just curious.
Old 05-07-2015, 01:58 PM
Majesty

To be as blunt as possible, if attendance at a Catholic religious rite were contingent upon how devout/observant a person was, Royal Catholic religious ceremonies would be virtually unattended. Just like in Britain and other countries, Royals who are rarely seen in church on normal occasions always attend such basic milestones as christenings and weddings.

Juan Carlos is no better or worse a Catholic than the pretender king of Italy or Albert of Monaco in this regard. Besides, he always attends important papal ceremonies at the Vatican, always.

It's no secret that Cristina seemed to be his favorite, I doubt he is snubbing her. And he seems to adore all his grandchildren. Perhaps he was not feeling well.
Old 05-07-2015, 02:33 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnie View Post
I don't think that JC was ever a proper practicing Roman Catholic. So an occasion of great importance as a grandchild's First Holy Communion would not really cause him to go out of his way anymore to attend. When he was king, sure it would be a great photo op. But now, he would not care. His personal new life is more important to him. He has the money to lead the life he wants and will now do it. I honestly think he will enjoy himself now to the best of his ability without any pressure from citizens or government. Best of all worlds for self-centered him. Sofia is a family person and devote RC. She would never miss honoring her grandchild's religious step.

Did HOLA agree to pay Cristina and Inaki for publishing photo? I know they are famous for doing so with other members of royal families? Just curious.
That's a good point - my guess is probably. Otherwise, it's as Duke of Marmalade said, why on earth would they invite the press into their children's lives???
Old 05-07-2015, 07:08 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

The Urdangarin children are all so lovely, I miss them so much. I hope little Irene had a great time on her special day. She was so pretty.

JC's absence speaks for itself. I guess it was not as much fun as a F1 GP...

Old 05-07-2015, 11:49 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANNIE_S View Post
The Urdangarin children are all so lovely, I miss them so much. I hope little Irene had a great time on her special day. She was so pretty.

Was he really not there or did he just not want to be in the tabloid photos?
Old 05-08-2015, 04:09 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
To be as blunt as possible, if attendance at a Catholic religious rite were contingent upon how devout/observant a person was, Royal Catholic religious ceremonies would be virtually unattended. Just like in Britain and other countries, Royals who are rarely seen in church on normal occasions always attend such basic milestones as christenings and weddings.
I am not sure if that is true. Maybe they regard their attendance as private? In the Netherlands that is the case at least. I have never seen any pictures of them attending church, but it is known that they did and do. The Dutch king apparently had (still has maybe) a bible study group with friends that met/meets at his house every once and a while.

Parents tend to forgive their own children rather quicker than other people do. And perhaps they agree with king Constantine and tell themselves that the whole thing is the fault of an ambitious public prosecutor and the press.

I don't think we can blame parents for sticking to their children. But still, this photo should not have been released to the press. A photo of the queen with just her grandchildren would have been better perhaps.
Old 05-08-2015, 04:58 AM
Imperial Majesty

The photos were taken by news agencies that sold them exclusive to Hola magazine.

April 30 was the birthday of Miguel, on 1 and 2 May holiday in Madrid ... so the visit of Queen Sofia was expected by the press, with or without First Communion. And the Urdangarín have paparazzi around when they can have news.

There is only one family photo, which was allowed because they knew they had paparazzi around, but is not a paid photoshoot... the other are paparazzi photos of people in and out of the church or the house.
Old 05-08-2015, 02:55 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANNIE_S View Post
Exactly what I was thinking too Annie S!
Old 05-08-2015, 03:02 PM
Heir Apparent

Isn't a granddaughter more important than F1 GP?
Old 05-08-2015, 06:52 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biri View Post
Isn't a granddaughter more important than F1 GP?
Everyone in this world has different ways, loves and egos. It is what makes it all so interesting. We all pick and choose what rules and laws we want to follow. Some decisions good some bad. What I think is extremely important in my life, others would laugh at because they don't agree. Life!
Old 06-14-2015, 11:32 AM
Imperial Majesty

Queen Sofia and Infanta Elena attend Cristinas´s birthday in Geneve

La reina Sofía, el mejor apoyo de la infanta Cristina en su 50 cumpleaños - Foto 1

Cristina celebra su cumpleaños más amargo con su madre - Diez Minutos
Old 06-14-2015, 04:15 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Cristina's bittersweet 50th Birthday!

Bekia

Así ha celebrado la Infanta Cristina su cumpleaños más agridulce tras perder el título de Duquesa - Bekia

https://translate.google.ie/translat...-text=&act=url
Old 06-14-2015, 04:41 PM
Heir Apparent

I wonder what gift send to her the brother

Tags
iñaki urdangarín, infanta cristina, irene urdangarín, juan urdangarín, miguel urdangarin, pablo urdangarín