Iñaki, Cristina and the NOOS Corruption Investigation Part 1 (2011-2014)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
King

Does he really think it will be back to business as usual for him & Cristina in case he avoids a criminal record? Even though it might be common practice, it would leave a bitter aftertaste. I doubt the public will agree that justice has been done or that everybody is equal in front of law, or that the high moral standards for a public person have been met as per the Kings' Xmas speech.

He basically committed fraud, then protested his innocence loud enough until evidence became too much, now he wants to give back what he stole and as a thank you there wont be a criminal record. Inaki will get away with what he did because he is well enough connected to avoid jail and to "cut a deal", so much for "everybody is equal in front of law".

I'm not sure what'd be worse for the royal family: if Inaki protested his innocence and was proven to be guilty, or this admission of guilt in exchange for no actual prison time. Either way, this is a PR nightmare for the SRF. I just don't see how the King and his daughter will be able to put this behind them, or whether they'll be allowed to. :ermm:

Last edited:
I'm not sure what'd be worse for the royal family: if Inaki protested his innocence and was proven to be guilty, or this admission of guilt in exchange for no actual prison time. Either way, this is a PR nightmare for the SRF.

Has he made this plea bargain without consulting Juan Carlos. ?

King

Does he really think it will be back to business as usual for him & Cristina in case he avoids a criminal record? Even though it might be common practice, it would leave a bitter aftertaste. I doubt the public will agree that justice has been done or that everybody is equal in front of law, or that the high moral standards for a public person have been met as per the Kings' Xmas speech.

He basically committed fraud, then protested his innocence loud enough until evidence became too much, now he wants to give back what he stole and as a thank you there wont be a criminal record. Inaki will get away with what he did because he is well enough connected to avoid jail and to "cut a deal", so much for "everybody is equal in front of law".

What about his partner in crime. ? Will he be offered or be granted the same plea deal. ?

Has he made this plea bargain without consulting Juan Carlos. ?
According to the article posted by lula, he hasn't made any plea yet. As far as I can understand, Inaki's lawyers are currently negotiating with the prosecution; if Inaki returns to the treasury everything that was stolen, and admits his guilt on all charges, he'll be spared actual jail time (seeing it as its his first offence and no previous criminal record exists).
While this is a no win situation for the royal family, a public disgrace (which will undoubtedly be the case should Inaki admit his guilt after his loud protestations of innocence) might still be better than having a son-in-law in jail (as will most probably happen because the evidence again Inaki is just too strong from what I have read), so I doubt the King will actually be against the plea bargain.

What about his partner in crime. ? Will he be offered or be granted the same plea deal. ?
His partner doesn't have quite the same connections as Inaki. What kind of deal he is offered, if he is offered one, depends on the strength of evidence and what he could "give back", so to speak. It is not uncommon for the prosecution to offer deal to one parter in exchange for testimony against the other; if that is the case, either Inaki or his partner might have to give evidence against the other.
Also, in cases like this, there is usually be a scapegoat - someone who will take most of the blame regardless of the actual proportion of their involvement. The partner may be that scapegoat, unless of course he knows certain things about Inaki that his lawyers and/or SRF would really hate to be made public; in that case, the lawyers of Inaki and his partner may be cooperating and demanding a joint plea, which would see the softest possible punishment for the partner as well.

Last edited:
According to the article posted by lula, he hasn't made any plea yet. As far as I can understand, Inaki's lawyers are currently negotiating with the prosecution; if Inaki returns to the treasury everything that was stolen, and admits his guilt on all charges, he'll be spared actual jail time (seeing it as its his first offence and no previous criminal record exists).
While this is a no win situation for the royal family, a public disgrace (which will undoubtedly be the case should Inaki admit his guilt after his loud protestations of innocence) might still be better than having a son-in-law in jail (as will most probably happen because the evidence again Inaki is just too strong from what I have read), so I doubt the King will actually be against the plea bargain.

His partner doesn't have quite the same connections as Inaki. What kind of deal he is offered, if he is offered one, depends on the strength of evidence and what he could "give back", so to speak. It is not uncommon for the prosecution to offer deal to one parter in exchange for testimony against the other; if that is the case, either Inaki or his partner might have to give evidence against the other.
Also, in cases like this, there is usually be a scapegoat - someone who will take most of the blame regardless of the actual proportion of their involvement. The partner may be that scapegoat, unless of course he knows certain things about Inaki that his lawyers and/or SRF would really hate to be made public; in that case, the lawyers of Inaki and his partner may be cooperating and demanding a joint plea, which would see the softest possible punishment for the partner as well.

Thank you so much, Artemisia, for that detailed explanation. I really appreciate it. :flowers:

King

He pleas guilty, how could everything be back to normal for him ? He has committed a crime, is on the record. I think Inaki has no choice, he has to 'sacrifice' himself to protect his wife (mother of their 4 children). Inaki's partner has been very upset that his wife has been imputed, Cristina hasn't even been requested to testify as a witness, he claimed Cristina had involved more in the key moves of Noos than his wife who was only an ordinary worker. He already showed 3 emails (with more to come according to him) to the public with Cristina and JC in 'influence peddling' for Noos in 2007, a year after JC was supposed to force Inaki to quit Noos, it has looked very bad on Cristina and JC. The previous weekend El Pais said if there was more evidence showing JC involving in the Noos scandals, it would be more devastating for JC and the SRF than his elephant hunting and mistressgate.
If the judge accepts the plea deal (he doesn't have to), the inquiries would stop, no trial in the future, the public wouldn't know what else Cristina and JC had done in this Noos scandal, good for the SRF, Cristina can continue walking in Barcelona as if nothing has happened, soon her Daddy would manage to bring her back to represent the SRF LOL.

Last edited:
Thank you so much, Artemisia, for that detailed explanation. I really appreciate it. :flowers:
You are welcome! :)

If the judge accepts the plea deal (he doesn't have to), the inquiries would stop, no trial in the future, the public wouldn't know what else Cristina and JC had done in this Noos scandal, good for the SRF, Cristina can continue walking in Barcelona as if nothing has happened, soon her Daddy would manage to bring her back to represent the SRF LOL.
Whatever the outcome, I strongly doubt Cristina would be able to go on anywhere within Spain as if nothing happened.
This scandal is going to haunt her - and the royal family - for years to come.

Last edited:
donnaK If the judge accepts the plea deal (he doesn't have to), the inquiries would stop, no trial in the future, the public wouldn't know what else Cristina and JC had done in this Noos scandal, good for the SRF
Is it? I am not so sure. People will always think that Inaki only got away for who he is, that the King is more involved than he or casareal tried to make everyone believe, and that the whole family is only acting in public but doing their own obnoxious thing behind closed doors, with JC & Inaki getting caught (on different issues though) but are only the tip of the iceberg.

I seriously doubt Cristina will repesent casareal again and I agree that the whole family will be affected by these incidents for years to come. In case Felipe is better than the rest of the lot (which I seriously doubt but at least he has been careful enough not to get exposed) he and his family will suffer from even worse scrutiny and anti-monarchy resentments. The older generation ows to JC and it still shows in the polls, but the younger generation doesnt owe to Felipe and his purpose to Spain has yet to be defined.

Is it? I am not so sure. People will always think that Inaki only got away for who he is, that the King is more involved than he or casareal tried to make everyone believe, and that the whole family is only acting in public but doing their own obnoxious thing behind closed doors, with JC & Inaki getting caught (on different issues though) but are only the tip of the iceberg.

I seriously doubt Cristina will repesent casareal again and I agree that the whole family will be affected by these incidents for years to come. In case Felipe is better than the rest of the lot (which I seriously doubt but at least he has been careful enough not to get exposed) he and his family will suffer from even worse scrutiny and anti-monarchy resentments. The older generation ows to JC and it still shows in the polls, but the younger generation doesnt owe to Felipe and his purpose to Spain has yet to be defined.

There is a big difference between gossips and 'black and white' evidence documented on the court. What did Felipe do ? I think he is at least as clean as his mom Sofia. He doesn't need to have a paid private job like his sisters and BILs, neither does he own any business on paper. His daughters are small, no need to be helped now, hopefully Sofia will marry a millionaire if she wants to live like a millionaire :). I doubt Felipe had involved in 'influence peddling' for his sister(s), Leti had made sure it didn't (wouldn't happen) :lol:, the rumored bad relations between Letizia and Cristina has been Felipe's saving grace in all these scandals.

Last edited:
Can someone explain me the details?...Didn t he return To the US after his trial in Palma?wasn t this finished yet?he was now consider guilty? i thought he was already considered no guilty..

Can someone explain me the details?...Didn t he return To the US after his trial in Palma?wasn t this finished yet?he was now consider guilty? i thought he was already considered no guilty..

Inaki was indicted and went to Palma to answer to the judge, protesting his innocence. Obviously the judge didnt buy it and next step would be to charge Inaki and at a trial where the evidence is being presented it would be decided whether Inaki is guilty or not and if he is guilty how "heavy" the guilt is whether he has to go to jail or not.

Obviously he is guilty to the degree that he would have to go to jail, subject to a trial. Now Inaki considers to say, ok, I am guilty, I admit, I give back the money I stole, therefore we do not need a trial or present the evidence. But in return for pleading guilty, and especially for paying back the money he stole, he is asking for a sentence that keeps him out of jail.

We will see what the justice system will make of it.

Thank I do now understand, I suppose it was already decided but not yet...so he is really guilty...

Urdangarín offers to return 3.7 million and plead guilty to avoid jail

According to sources close to negotiations, the offer of the Duke of Palma has three points: the accused admits his criminal responsibility for crimes of embezzlement, fraud management, forgery and tax evasion, returns to the Treasury between 3.7 and 4 million euros, and in return, the prosecution calls for him a sentence less than two years in prison. The key is this request of the Prosecutor. Having no criminal record, even if convicted of these crimes by mutual agreement, to be worth less than two years in prison would not go to jail.

Urdangarn ofrece devolver 3,7 millones y declararse culpable para evitar la crcel - ABC.es

Urdangarin's lawyer contradicts major spanish media outlets and denies that his client has been seeking a deal
Lawyer denies plea bargain for Spain king's son-in-law < Spanish news | Expatica Spain

What a mess. How shameful! I can't believe that this man would bring such shame not only to the SRF but to his wife and to the Spanish people. Terrible, terrible. :(

I really liked him, I am so disappointed !:bang:
What a mess. How shameful! I can't believe that this man would bring such shame not only to the SRF but to his wife and to the Spanish people. Terrible, terrible. :(

I think, the best solution out of this mess is, that this will come to an end as soon as possible. A deal could be the right decision. As it seems, that Inaki / Christina will be heavily damaged anyway (ok if they are really guilty) it would help to put away additional damage from the rest of the family. Bad enough, that there seems to be closer bonds than anybody expected. But life has to go on and the SRF has to go on as well.
Somehow.
BYe Bine

I certainly agree and I also feel that only an all-out proper trial will get the facts out. ALL parties doing anything illegal with public [or charitable] funds, whether royal or not, should be prosecuted to the greatest degree of that country's laws. This will be the only way to clear up this mess. If the king's daughter and SIL have to have jail time, Oh Well, they should have thought about that before they became criminals. But, only a public trial will accomplish this and determine if, in fact, they are criminals.

But, lets face it----not going to happen!

Obviously he is guilty to the degree that he would have to go to jail, subject to a trial. Now Inaki considers to say, ok, I am guilty, I admit, I give back the money I stole, therefore we do not need a trial or present the evidence. But in return for pleading guilty, and especially for paying back the money he stole, he is asking for a sentence that keeps him out of jail.

We will see what the justice system will make of it.
I think that just paying back the money that he took will never be good enough. People will always say that the king gave them the money to shut people up and to keep his SIL and maybe daughter out of jail. Rumors will go on for years and many innocent and harmless people will be hurt. I truly believe that the Queen is quite innocent [plus Elena, Letizia & Felipe] and a complete trial would certainly substantiate this.

If the trail finds that others of the family are involved, then they too should get what they deserve.

Last edited:
I would not assume that his wife is innocent. She is very bright and seemingly involved in all aspects of their life. It is more likely that he is taking all the blame in order to protect her.

Hard to believe that she would be involved in such a scandal. I would hope that she would have more common sense and represent her family, the SRF, to the utmost degree. I would be extremely disappointed if it turns out she was involved somehow. It would be a horrible betrayal. Lets hope she is not a part of this scandal.

I haven´t believe for a moment that Cristina has nothing to do with this, or that she didn´t knew anything. She would be a very silly woman if so, and I don´t think she is.
She can´t represent Spain anymore, and I hope they both are getting apart of the Royal Family as soon as possible.

I have to agree that it is extremely unlikely Cristina was unaware of her husband's activities. At the very least, she couldn't help but wonder where all the money came from. It would also explain the lengths the King has gone to protect Inaki (and his daughter).

Last edited:
Is there anywhere else he could get the money to pay back stolen money besides the King?

I am really wondering what will happen in this very sad case !

The Infanta is damned either way should her husband be convicted. Obviously, if she were aware then she would have been an accomplice to the crime. If she weren't, then that speaks volumes of their marriage because that simply means he took advantage of her and how her position can enrich him.

Just wondering though how a guy can accumulate much wealth without the wife knowing while living in luxury ... Understandable if there were a hidden mistress who was the one who enjoyed the affluence.

Maybe Cristina turned a blind eye, like some other family members, who werent directly involved. Everyone within the family must have seen and wondered how this lifestyle was funded and where the money could be coming from, knowing the alledged tight finances within the family (having to attend events in order to get money, Felipes small allowance). Cristinas salary at Caixa is very high for a working mother but nowhere near "rich".

Cristina is clearly protected as daughter of the King, not even being questioned IF she was aware of anything illegal. Of course she'd say NO but the question is not even being asked from official side.

"Everyone, especially those of us with public functions, must behave correctly, in an exemplary fashion," the King had declared in last year's Christmas broadcast, yet he had had no problem acting as an intermediary between Urdangarín and public officials, trying to persuade politicians to get involved with the creation of a new America's Cup sailing project, hoping that Urdangarín could earn money from it (!!!).

Stuff like this would continue to come to light in a trial, I have no doubt they will be seeking a deal at some point.

I don't believe everyone in the family knew the business Inaki and Cristina were involved in. I'm sure Elena didn't and most specially the Asturias. Few of us are aware what our brothers and sisters' families get up to without our knowledge - it's simply a fact of life.

I do think Cristina will give up her succession right to the throne - for her and her children. It's coming.

I don't believe everyone in the family knew the business Inaki and Cristina were involved in. I'm sure Elena didn't and most specially the Asturias. Few of us are aware what our brothers and sisters' families get up to without our knowledge - it's simply a fact of life.

I do think Cristina will give up her succession right to the throne - for her and her children. It's coming.
You make a very good point. I didn't think of her succession rights [although quite far back now]. That would certainly be a slap in the face. You are probably correct about siblings not knowing EXACTLY the extent of all the businesses Inake had a hand in. I certainly don't with mine and they have quite nice lives. I honestly think that Inaki and Cristina were both involved and thought that their position would protect. It seems that the king is trying to protect [ and maybe 50 years ago the media would have turned their eye and it would have worked] but today that is not so. I wonder if the average person in Spain will "forgive and forget" as Cristina was always the media sweetheart [until Letizia and Felipe's children were born]. Every country seems to have someone putting their hands in the money pot illegally---we have John Edwards at the present time!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom