Iñaki, Cristina & the NOOS Corruption Investigation and Imprisonment

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This article explains the 4 different regimes in the Spanish system. My interpretation is that unless a judge decides differently it is likely that Iñaki has to serve his sentence in prison for the first half of his sentence (as he is sentenced for more than 5 years), the third quarter he might serve in third category; meaning he has to report to prison 4 nights a week but can spend the weekend outside of prison walls and the final quarter he is most likely on parole.

Is he now in an isolation cell or does he have contact with other people? Or how is closed or maximum security regime to understand?

Is he now in an isolation cell or does he have contact with other people? Or how is closed or maximum security regime to understand?

He is not in an isolation cell. I am not even sure he is in maxumum security, he might be in ordinary confinement. He actually will have a full (small) wing to himself as he is the only male prisoner at this detention center. Today he had many different visits by a medical doctor, psychologist etc, he will stay at an 'entrance' cell tonight and only brought to his new 13m2 room tomorrow. According to the former male prisoner who stayed in this prison for 10 years being the only prisoner on your block is the hardest part.

Wondering, HOW LONG he actually will stay in prison. I am convinced not the entire time.
How is the Spanish law, will he be pardoned after 2/3 of the time, if he behaved well?
BYe Bine
About 2,5 years, he could asks for the called, third degree, it is, he should only go to sleep to prision or remain in the jail for 8 hours to day. About Three years in jail, he could request freedom without conditions, if he meets the requirements, the judge can grant it. he would be free.

Everything depends on the judicial authority, even a judge could change the times,

This decision on the prison in a way makes sense to me and then again on another angle, it doesn't.

On one hand, he's in a place with an entire block to himself as its primarily a prison for women. On the other hand, to me, that's either going to be years of solitary confinement or if there is human interaction that every person does need, other than his wardens and caretakers and counselors, its going to be with women and for a healthy male, isn't that like dangling a carrot in front of the horse?

I just sincerely hope that Inaki has the strength and stamina and the support of all his loved ones to see him through this. Its not going to be easy by any means.

This decision on the prison in a way makes sense to me and then again on another angle, it doesn't.

On one hand, he's in a place with an entire block to himself as its primarily a prison for women. On the other hand, to me, that's either going to be years of solitary confinement or if there is human interaction that every person does need, other than his wardens and caretakers and counselors, its going to be with women and for a healthy male, isn't that like dangling a carrot in front of the horse?

I just sincerely hope that Inaki has the strength and stamina and the support of all his loved ones to see him through this. Its not going to be easy by any means.

He isn't supposed to have a lot of interaction with the women based on the information the former male prisoner provided. In terms of security and privacy for a high profile inmate apparently this was the preferred arrangement and it's not likely that having him interact with female murderers on a regular basis is high on the list of anybody in the judicial system.

If I understand it correctly, next to the weekly 40 minutes conversation in person and a total of 50 minutes of phone conversations per week, he is allowed one private visit and one family visit a month.

Hopefully the children will holiday in Mallorca with queen Sofia and the Marichalar cousins it might take minds off this sorry state of affairs for them.

I hope, too, that Inaki finds ways to use his internment (and what seems to be somewhat a solitary confinement) to his advantage. Catch up on reading books he's never had time for before, a physical workout regime or taking up an interest in an online course on a subject he's been interested in but didn't have the time to pursue (should he be allowed a laptop). The man is going to have serious alone time.

I hope, too, that Inaki finds ways to use his internment (and what seems to be somewhat a solitary confinement) to his advantage. Catch up on reading books he's never had time for before, a physical workout regime or taking up an interest in an online course on a subject he's been interested in but didn't have the time to pursue (should he be allowed a laptop). The man is going to have serious alone time.

He hasn't been working for about 6 years now, so he should have had time to pursue his interests. Chief among them seems to have been sports and there is a small gym for him to use - not sure how many hours a day he is allowed out of his cell to make use of that.

i am quite sure by now he learned the lesson he most had to learn which is did not even an infanta and her husband are above the law (only the king is).

Educating himself for a new career would be smart.
Having time to equip for a different type of future is a huge opportunity.

Last edited:
Indeed it is nice if he can use the time constructively, but your remark makes me wonder: Future? What future? Who on earth will hire him? He has been living in semi-exile for almost a decade, he lost his job and has not been working for years. I don't think for a minute that after he served his sentence he will have a normal life. He has received a life sentence, as did his wife.

Last edited:
Indeed it is nice if he can use the time constructively, but your remark makes me wonder: Future? What future? Who on earth will hire him? He has been living in semi-exile for almost a decade, he lost his job and has not been working for years. I don't think for a minute that after he served his sentence he will have a normal life. He has received a life sentence, as did his wife.

I only partly agree. Of course the whole affair will always stuck but they will never have any problem with money and when time comes and Inaki has done his sentence, some good old buddy of JC will hand Inaki some job, I have no doubt.
He was kind of in limbo the past six years but that's done soon.

It's already a privilege that Inaki doesn't have to mingle with ordinary criminals but is the only man in a women's prison. He can do what he wants there, sports, education .. it will soon be over.

My bet is that it won't be long until he can go home on weekends or during the day with some kind of electronic tag.

I read in the Dutch press that the ability to do sports in the prison of Avila is very limited.

Luis Roldan, a PSOE politician who was imprisoned in Avila in 2005 described it a 'Siberian Gulag', as apparently it was very cold. Because of this description the prison now has a heating system.

I only partly agree. Of course the whole affair will always stuck but they will never have any problem with money and when time comes and Inaki has done his sentence, some good old buddy of JC will hand Inaki some job, I have no doubt.
He was kind of in limbo the past six years but that's done soon.

It's already a privilege that Inaki doesn't have to mingle with ordinary criminals but is the only man in a women's prison. He can do what he wants there, sports, education .. it will soon be over.

My bet is that it won't be long until he can go home on weekends or during the day with some kind of electronic tag.

A judge would need a really good reason not to follow the normal terms for these kind of freedoms (which is at least 1/4 of the sentence to be allowed a more lenient regime; from 1/2 of the sentence he is expected to be allowed to leave prison regularly as all other convicts who behave well). Moreover, his home is in Geneva and he is most likely not allowed to leave the country while he is serving his sentence (by the time he is on parole that's most likely different).

So, I don't think that Iñaki will share your idea of 'it will soon be over', more likely he will feel extremely lonely and isolated. I don't think it is a benefit for him to be on his own for most likely about at least a year and a half (the former only male prisoner at this prison at least didn't think so); he probably preferred a different prison with more interaction but was told that his choice had to conform to certain requirements by the judicial system who know they are dealing with a high-profile convict.

A judge would need a really good reason not to follow the normal terms for these kind of freedoms (which is at least 1/4 of the sentence to be allowed a more lenient regime; from 1/2 of the sentence he is expected to be allowed to leave prison regularly as all other convicts who behave well). Moreover, his home is in Geneva and he is most likely not allowed to leave the country while he is serving his sentence (by the time he is on parole that's most likely different).

So, I don't think that Iñaki will share your idea of 'it will soon be over', more likely he will feel extremely lonely and isolated. I don't think it is a benefit for him to be on his own for most likely about at least a year and a half (the former only male prisoner at this prison at least didn't think so); he probably preferred a different prison with more interaction but was told that his choice had to conform to certain requirements by the judicial system who know they are dealing with a high-profile convict.

Does he need to stay the full time at this prison, though, or could he request a transfer at some point? Iñaki’s presence can’t overly disrupt daily life at any prison and, on the other hand, the officials need to feel sure they can offer him the same security and privacy every prisoner is entitled to.

I think Inaki will have some sort of career once he’s released. He may already have been studying something during his time in Geneva, who knows? But I agree with Duke that family friends will come up with something for him and that will be true regardless of whether he’s still married to Cristina in the end. Also, my understanding is that his own family is well connected in the area of Spain they come from so they’d likely be able to come up with something for him, too.

Does he need to stay the full time at this prison, though, or could he request a transfer at some point? Iñaki’s presence can’t overly disrupt daily life at any prison and, on the other hand, the officials need to feel sure they can offer him the same security and privacy every prisoner is entitled to.

I think Inaki will have some sort of career once he’s released. He may already have been studying something during his time in Geneva, who knows? But I agree with Duke that family friends will come up with something for him and that will be true regardless of whether he’s still married to Cristina in the end. Also, my understanding is that his own family is well connected in the area of Spain they come from so they’d likely be able to come up with something for him, too.

The prison system could decide to move him to a different location but that doesn't seem likely. This was the one he himself picked (undoubtedly consulting several people). While he will be even more lonely than in a different prison, his security and privacy are secured and it's not too far from an airport that has a direct connection to Geneva.

Hopefully the children will holiday in Mallorca with queen Sofia and the Marichalar cousins it might take minds off this sorry state of affairs for them.

I hope so also. Children together always seem to get grounded through laughter, games, sports, etc. Even though these four children seem well grounded and politely raised one just never knows what goes on in their small heads. Doctors claim the human brain does not mature fully until approximately 25 years of age so I pray that this situation will not have permanent damage of ANY kind. I am sure that both of their parents love them dearly and hope that is enough to fall back on in later years. Extended family and friends are certainly a must.

Preferential treatment meaning that she can drive her car right to the door of the prison when she visits and that she does not have to wait with other visitors. The government says that it is justified as they have to safeguard “the safety and privacy of inmates and visitors during the visits.” which would include that of the Infanta.

But easy point to score for Podemos of course.

Preferential treatment meaning that she can drive her car right to the door of the prison when she visits and that she does not have to wait with other visitors. The government says that it is justified as they have to safeguard “the safety and privacy of inmates and visitors during the visits.” which would include that of the Infanta.

But easy point to score for Podemos of course.

Anyone who needs a security detail will skip lines in some situations, or go through a special entrance or whatever. Of course, other times they won’t be able to go somewhere at all because it’s deemed too risky. I think if you asked a lot of people who require security details they’d say it’s a sort of “preferential treatment” they would rather do without.

The Constitutional Court rejects Urdangarin's writ of amparo against his jail sentence
The Constitutional Court (TC) has denied the amparo appeal filed last November by Inaki Urdangarin against the sentence of five years and ten months in prison imposed by the Supreme Court for the case Nóos

https://www.elmundo.es/espana/2019/03/13/5c89007efdddff29278b46f4.html

Iñaki Urdangarin has left the Brieva prison minutes before nine in this morning to begin his work as a volunteer at Hogar Don Orione, in Pozuelo de Alarcón, Madrid.The cameras have captured the exact moment he was leaving prison.

https://www.hola.com/actualidad/20190919149649/inaki-urdangarin-primeras-imagenes-voluntariado/

Gallery as arrives

https://www.belgaimage.be/#/gallery/6714801

Last edited by a moderator:

I agree. Inaki destroyed his life and dragged his wife by drag. At least your children have managed to keep their normal lives to the best of their ability.
I was curious to know what Inaki's future will be when she gets out of prison. It will be interesting.

I agree. Inaki destroyed his life and dragged his wife by drag. At least your children have managed to keep their normal lives to the best of their ability.
I was curious to know what Inaki's future will be when she gets out of prison. It will be interesting.

I think Inaki will have no trouble finding some sort of employment. Cristina has so far shown no sign of leaving Switzerland, she has a very good career there and I don’t think she’ll retire soon given that she’s only in her early 50s. So once Inaki’s sentence is complete I think he’ll find a job coaching or managing a handball team or something like that in Geneva. A lot could happen between now and then, though, so I agree it will be interesting.

I think that Inaki will work somewhere in Handball or get a goodwill job with people who still support Cristina.
Money will never be an issue. The old Kings are both over 80 and once they pass, my bet is that Cristina will inherit a lot of money etc.

Back
Top Bottom