The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal Family of Spain > Infanta Cristina, Iñaki Urdangarín and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-30-2016, 10:48 AM
Heir Apparent

Royals have been open to do favours. They have done that for centuries and centuries. Only now the monarchies have become de-political, it looks like royals have to be exemplaric model citizens, but that is nowhere in their job description. Once in a debate in the Dutch Parliament a fraction leader remarked: "We are discussing the royal family, not the Holy Family..."

Old 09-30-2016, 08:59 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
Royals have been open to do favours. They have done that for centuries and centuries. Only now the monarchies have become de-political, it looks like royals have to be exemplaric model citizens, but that is nowhere in their job description. Once in a debate in the Dutch Parliament a fraction leader remarked: "We are discussing the royal family, not the Holy Family..."
It is not commendable that JC is condoning such behavior from his friends when he for all practical purposes hung Christina out to dry to save his own skin and as a distraction, which if this is the case is nothing better than hypocracy and cowardice on the ex-king's part.* What I want to know is: was he always this lacking in moral fiber, and thus have we all been duped by a slick propaganda campaign? Or has years of adulation and press deference gone to his head and undermined his judgement?

*When you consider that JC also threw his father under a bus, albeit with some more justifaction, this would be completely keeping in character.

Old 10-01-2016, 03:06 AM
Heir Apparent

All men and women on positions with influence are open for favours. If someone can help a friend to obtain a job, or a sister to get earlier treatment, or help a cousin to upgrade a booking, whatever. All "wrong" but it all happens. Every day. All over the world.
Old 10-19-2016, 01:06 PM
Royal Highness

The verdict for Infanta Cristina's (King Felipe of Spain's sister) fraud case will be announced today.
Old 10-19-2016, 01:40 PM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Until what time are they working at the tribunals in Spain? It is after office hours and I didn't see anything yet.
Old 10-19-2016, 02:37 PM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blog Real View Post
The verdict for Infanta Cristina's (King Felipe of Spain's sister) fraud case will be announced today.
Where is this information from?

This article is 4 days old and it says that the verdict will possibly come at the end of the year but the balearic court will try to avoid any publication together with the proclamation of a new government.
¿Dónde estaban Iñaki Urdangarin y la Infanta Cristina en la Hispanidad? | loc | EL MUNDO
Old 10-19-2016, 02:50 PM
Royal Highness

Probably the info I saw was wrong. I'm sorry.
Old 10-19-2016, 03:00 PM
Heir Apparent

^^^ I read the same thing on Twitter. Not sure the source.
Old 10-19-2016, 04:24 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blog Real View Post
Probably the info I saw was wrong. I'm sorry.
Maybe in future post a link or a source just to be on the safe side.
Old 10-19-2016, 04:28 PM
Heir Apparent

Different royal blogs were reporting it. Nothing official.

Gert's Royals ‏@Gertsroyals 7h7 hours ago
The verdict is expected to be announced in the next few hours.

Gert's Royals ‏@Gertsroyals 3h3 hours ago
From what I'm reading Infanta Cristina's (King Felipe's sister) tax fraud case verdict is being delayed due to Spain's election drama.

https://twitter.com/Gertsroyals/stat...84634901491712
Old 10-19-2016, 06:05 PM
Courtier

So Cristina was put on trial despite both the prosecutor and the tax office saying they had no evidence that she committed a crime, and if I remember correctly, part of the judge's reasoning was that it was important to show that everyone is treated equally before the law.

And yet, it seems the judicial system has no problem arranging the timing of various aspects of her case to suit the government and the king's schedule.

Spanish justice may indeed be equal for all, I wouldn't know, but the more I read about this particular situation the more it seems like Cristina has been thrown under the bus by various political factions and, sadly, even by members of her own family.
Old 10-19-2016, 06:17 PM
Imperial Majesty

Spanish media has not published news about the possibility that the verdict was to be made public today... it was a mistake or someone invention. Then they have tried to correct misinformation, with another error.

What the news (of a section of gossip) says, is that the verdict is expected at the end of the year. The news makes an absurd speculation that the verdict may not match the king's speech on Christmas Eve ... absurd because being Saturday and Christmas Eve the court does not work that day.
Old 10-19-2016, 06:29 PM
Royal Highness

I can't see this ever ending !!!! Is this how the Spanish legal system works for everyone ?

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 10-20-2016, 12:33 PM
Nobility

This is a massive trial, with 17 accused persons, 364 witnesses interviewed and thousands and thousands of documents to review. It's going to take longer than usual, but in general justice in Spain is slow, the courts are overworked and understaffed, it's a chronic problem and it's well-known.

There's never been an announcement about when the court's ruling will be made public, I've only seen it in foreign royal blogs, presumably taken from fringe and unreliable internet news portals. Again, there're baseless accusations about the monarchy or the government controlling the independent judicial system with no facts or proof whatsoever. In fact, if the courts were beholden to the government and/or the monarchy why would there be a trial?
Old 10-20-2016, 02:41 PM
Heir Presumptive

Unless there's some sort of laws dictating when a court has to decide a criminal matter, there's no telling how long it can take the courts. And as AnaC says, this was a massive case. I could see it taking a full year, at least.

Not only is the staff overburdened as it is in all likelihood, these things go through drafts, revisions, more drafts, more revisions. There are probably internal controls within the court where another group of researchers look over the drafts, checking law, checking cites, checking facts.

I would not want to be the poor slobs who have to go through all of that for the judge. Probably a lot of nights and weekends. In the US these types of interns, often a prestigious position but low paying, are often fresh out of law school and after a few years of this kind of grunt work move onto private practice.
Old 11-27-2016, 04:59 AM
Heir Apparent

"The Judge of Noos asks three more months to write the sentence"

https://translate.googleusercontent....taNqQjPYCR3xsQ

La jueza de Nóos pide tres meses más para redactar la sentencia | Baleares Home | EL MUNDO

"Justice gives Urdangarin a break and will be able spend christmas at home"

https://translate.googleusercontent....BiO2_8LgwLQWrw

La justicia da un respiro a Urdangarin y podrá pasar las Navidades en casa | loc | EL MUNDO
Old 11-27-2016, 05:01 AM
Royal Highness

And so it goes !

Old 11-27-2016, 06:01 AM
Heir Apparent

As we can see with the soccer players Neymar and Messi, fraud cases are everywhere and put an immense workload on the justice system. The case NOOS is no different.
Old 11-27-2016, 06:26 PM
Heir Presumptive

Is the judje writting an encyclopedia as sentence ?
Old 11-27-2016, 06:55 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by melina premiere View Post
Is the judje writting an encyclopedia as sentence ?

Whichever it is he must be writing it by hand.

Tags
controversy, corruption, cristina, duchess of palma, iñaki, iñaki urdangarín, infanta cristina, palma, palma de mallorca, scandal