Old 02-23-2017, 05:47 PM
Heir Apparent

I Wonder when the decision will be taken about the possible bail

Old 02-23-2017, 06:44 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
Spain king's brother-in-law might not have to go to jail after all - The Local

The brother-in-law of Spain's king, who was handed six years and three months jail for syphoning off millions, will remain free and not be required to post bail as he prepares to appeal his sentence, a court said on Thursday.
Inaki is a lucky man. I wonder if he would receive the same treatment if he were Joe Average and not the king's ex son-in-law..

"The course of true love never did run smooth " William Shakespeare, 'A Midsummer Night's Dream'

http://www.aishwarya-rai.com/
Old 02-23-2017, 07:30 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakshmi View Post
Inaki is a lucky man. I wonder if he would receive the same treatment if he were Joe Average and not the king's ex son-in-law..
if he and cristina weren't son in law and daughter of the ex king they wouldn't had stepped a foot in court .
Old 02-23-2017, 07:48 PM
Majesty

wonder how long he can keep appealing against prison time. after the long trial, now it turns out that he can, after all, avoid going to prison. i wonder how long this will last for. surely he can't get out that easily now that he was sentenced.
Old 02-23-2017, 10:04 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakshmi View Post
My understanding - and this is all filtered through a couple of articles translated by Google so take it for what it's worth - is that immediate entrance into prison is to prevent the accused from fleeing to another country and attempting to not return to Spain if and when their appeal is exhausted. Inaki is the last person in the world who could attempt such an escape, even if he wanted to, given that he and his wife have police protection and they're stalked by a pack of photographers every time they leave their house.
Old 02-27-2017, 08:25 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Infanta Critina is back in Geneva

La sonrisa de la infanta Cristina a su regreso a casa tras saber que su marido no ingresa en prisión

https://translate.google.com/transla...-text=&act=url
Old 02-27-2017, 09:51 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by camelot23ca View Post
My understanding - and this is all filtered through a couple of articles translated by Google so take it for what it's worth - is that immediate entrance into prison is to prevent the accused from fleeing to another country and attempting to not return to Spain if and when their appeal is exhausted. Inaki is the last person in the world who could attempt such an escape, even if he wanted to, given that he and his wife have police protection and they're stalked by a pack of photographers every time they leave their house.
Aren't they already in a country other than Spain?
Old 02-27-2017, 03:33 PM
Serene Highness

Yes, and according to the article I read, one of the possible options was for the court to require Inaki to surrender his passport and stay in Spain until the outcome of his appeal is known. As it turned out he has been allowed to continue residing outside of Spain, although I believe he needs to comply with certain conditions while in Geneva.
Old 03-04-2017, 05:01 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

I'm a little late; but I just wanted to chip in again. I'm not surprised to read this to be honest, as, like I said in a previous post of mine, the sentence he received initially did seem quite excessive for his particular crime.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 07-03-2017, 10:58 AM
Majesty

La Fiscalía pide al Supremo que doble la pena a Urdangarin hasta los 14 años y medio de cárcel | España Home | EL MUNDO

The Prosecutor's Office asks the Supreme Court to sentence Urdangarin to 14 years and a half in prison
Old 07-06-2017, 04:36 PM
Imperial Majesty

Infanta Cristina to request on 14 July to the court in Palma to refund her 322,000 Euros from the 587,000 euro deposit

Infanta Cristina to request money back from court deposit – Royal Central
Old 10-17-2017, 05:33 PM
Heir Presumptive

What is the latest concerning this case? Is it still going on? Has Iñaki's fate been decided on?
Old 10-17-2017, 05:44 PM
Serene Highness

I don't think so, however, the article from July 3 has been updated. Apparently, the 14 and a half years was the maximum number they considered but the 'Fiscalía' officially asked the Supreme Court for 10 years; still more than the sentence of 6 years and 3 months that Iñaki was given - but far less than then 19 and a half years they asked in the trial at the Palma de Mallorca court.
Old 11-13-2017, 02:49 AM
Majesty

so... what happened with this? it has been pure silence for months now even though inaki was condemned to prison. what are we waiting for now? this is the longest proceedings ever.
Old 11-13-2017, 03:49 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlota View Post
so... what happened with this? it has been pure silence for months now even though inaki was condemned to prison. what are we waiting for now? this is the longest proceedings ever.
Iñaki Urdangarín filed an appeal with the Supreme Court.
The Court decided not to apply precautionary measures.
This means that Iñaki lives in Switzerland and had not to post bail.

And yes, in almost all European countries Lady Justitia has lengthy procedures. If Spanish Justice does not painstakingly follow every step and respects the rights of the accused, the procedure could be nullified by the European Court of Justice, which would be a humiliating blow to Spanish Justice. So they better take their time and do everything with check-and-doublecheck.
Old 01-17-2018, 03:41 AM
Imperial Majesty

We will see what happens when Iñaki enters prison, maybe then Cristina will change her attitude.

He is a person convicted of corruption and misappropriation of public money, and therefore he has his access denied in residences and official events. With the sensitivity in Spain towards corruption issues in recent years, what applies to Urdangarín applies to many politicians, no one would accept that the President of the Government invited corrupt members of his political party to his official residence.

The problem is that during the reign of Juan Carlos, it was usual for the members of the Royal Family to enjoy official assets as if they were private, and now some, especially Cristina, do not seem to understand that times have changed and that they can not dispose of everything on a whim.
Old 01-17-2018, 04:10 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by lula View Post
We will see what happens when Iñaki enters prison, maybe then Cristina will change her attitude.

He is a person convicted of corruption and misappropriation of public money, and therefore he has his access denied in residences and official events. With the sensitivity in Spain towards corruption issues in recent years, what applies to Urdangarín applies to many politicians, no one would accept that the President of the Government invited corrupt members of his political party to his official residence.

The problem is that during the reign of Juan Carlos, it was usual for the members of the Royal Family to enjoy official assets as if they were private, and now some, especially Cristina, do not seem to understand that times have changed and that they can not dispose of everything on a whim.
Are you referring to Inaki being persona non grata at Zarzuela, eg at JC's birthday? That has been a case for a long time now but has never been applied to Cristina, she has attended various festivities/events on her own (funeral, communion etc) so it would suprise me if her no-show on Jan 5th has something to do with Inaki not being welcome.

If it is true indeed that JC went to Geneva too, it's yet another proof that the parents have neither broken with their daughter nor with their SIL.
Old 01-17-2018, 04:47 AM
Imperial Majesty

Cristina and her children as a whole have never been with the family, someone always stayed with Iñaki... She has appeared at public funerals or celebrations of the Greeks, which give her the possibility to show that she is still part of the family. And send the children a few days with Sofia, because with the public and financial support given by her mother, denying her grandchildren totally would give her a very bad image.

However, when she has considered it appropriate, she has played or Iñaki goes or none of us. They spent the New Year in Vitoria, instead of going to Rome on vacation, Iñaki could have stayed with his family in Vitoria, and Cristina and the children had gone to Madrid. The solution was really easy, so it is clear that she took this opportunity to make a public gesture of protest.

The prison is getting closer, and perhaps Cristina is still waiting for Zarzuela to intervene to save him. Forgetting once again, that things have changed, and what things Juan Carlos did, are inadmissible today for Felipe.
Old 01-17-2018, 02:00 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by lula View Post
Cristina and her children as a whole have never been with the family, someone always stayed with Iñaki... She has appeared at public funerals or celebrations of the Greeks, which give her the possibility to show that she is still part of the family. And send the children a few days with Sofia, because with the public and financial support given by her mother, denying her grandchildren totally would give her a very bad image.

However, when she has considered it appropriate, she has played or Iñaki goes or none of us. They spent the New Year in Vitoria, instead of going to Rome on vacation, Iñaki could have stayed with his family in Vitoria, and Cristina and the children had gone to Madrid. The solution was really easy, so it is clear that she took this opportunity to make a public gesture of protest.

The prison is getting closer, and perhaps Cristina is still waiting for Zarzuela to intervene to save him. Forgetting once again, that things have changed, and what things Juan Carlos did, are inadmissible today for Felipe.
Lula, if you have some sort of inside info on the SRF, please give us the details. Because otherwise in your last few posts you've presented a lot of very unflattering and as far as I can see unverifiable statements about Cristina's attitudes and motives as fact. I don't think you would ever allow this to happen on a thread about, for example, Letizia.

Cristina, as far as I can see, has moved on with her life in Geneva. I see no indication that she expects or wants to be part of the official life of the Spanish Royal Family again and it seems she realizes very well that Inaki can never appear at even semi-official events again, (although, if she's still married to him, it will be interesting to see how things are handled at JC and Sofia's funerals). Therefore Cristina comes alone to events that have an official component - the recent televised funeral, etc. It seems where she draws the line is attending entirely private events where Inaki is not welcome which, IMO, is reasonable enough since they are still married and she has four children with him.

I don't see any evidence that Cristina is playing games of any sort. She comes to extended family events because she continues to be a well loved member of the extended family. Her children spend time with their grandmother, both in public and presumably in private, as they've done since birth. I would also presume Cristina and the children have spent time with JC in private and no pictures have ever leaked so the inference that pictures will come out of this dinner as a way to clean up her image seems off base.

Time is now on Cristina's side. As I said before, the more time goes by without at least some minimal signs of reconciliation within the family the worse it will be for the images of Juan Carlos, Felipe and , (unfairly), Letizia. For the first while public repudiation of your daughter and sister may make you look strong and resolute, but there comes a point after which you just look like petty a**holes. If Cristina was playing games to clean up her image she would attend no public family events and do her best to make sure no reports of private contact between her family and her father/brother leaked out and then let the Spanish media take it from there... Juan Carlos is a pretty shrewd operator and unless he's lost his touch I imagine he knows the tide will soon start to turn on this issue. So if anyone at the dinner was playing games by leaking the news of his presence I would suggest Cristina is not the most likely candidate.
Old 01-17-2018, 02:45 PM
Heir Presumptive

camelot23ca, Inaki has been a persona non grata at Zarzuela, nothing new, however this has never been applied to Cristina. In fact, she and her children had been invited to JC's 80th birthday party, she was the one who chose not to attend since Inaki wasn't welcomed. Thus to say Cristina as a daughter or a sister has been rejected by the family is totally nonsense.
Don't worry, once Inaki goes to jail, everything would be solved. Cristina will surely step on Zarzuela (or even Mallorca) again to spend holidays or attending family events since she and her children have always been invited to begin with.

Tags
controversy, corruption, cristina, duchess of palma, iñaki, iñaki urdangarín, infanta cristina, palma, palma de mallorca, scandal