Iñaki, Cristina and the NOOS Corruption Investigation Part 1 (2011-2014)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
the article below mentions that the public prosecutor will offer urdangarin the possibility to accept a 6 year prison charge and him returning the total of 6 million. if he doesn't accept, he could face charges of up to 20 years of prison. however, they also mention in the article that urdangarin is not willing to negotiate a prison charge and will only negotiate on the basis of returning the money. they say in the article the prosecutor would not accept a penalty based on money only, and wants him to enter prison.

it's shameful that he's only willing to return the money he abducted, as if nothing had happened and get on with life...

El fiscal pactar? con Urdangarin si acepta 6 a?os y paga 6 millones | Baleares | EL MUNDO

Today, legally, a descendant of Juan Carlos I can only be away from the succession to the Crown, if the person is married against the opinion of the King and Parliament.

Infanta Cristina can resign, but the decision is free and voluntary, and should not have pressure.

So King Felipe's hands are tied, he can not take away her rights, nor can pressure her to resign, because then the waiver may be invalidated later.

that's interesting, so felipe doesn't have the rights to decide whether to remove titles from the ex royal family members or remove them from the line of succession in this sort of extreme situation?

the article below mentions that the public prosecutor will offer urdangarin the possibility to accept a 6 year prison charge and him returning the total of 6 million. if he doesn't accept, he could face charges of up to 20 years of prison. however, they also mention in the article that urdangarin is not willing to negotiate a prison charge and will only negotiate on the basis of returning the money. they say in the article the prosecutor would not accept a penalty based on money only, and wants him to enter prison.

it's shameful that he's only willing to return the money he abducted, as if nothing had happened and get on with life...

El fiscal pactar? con Urdangarin si acepta 6 a?os y paga 6 millones | Baleares | EL MUNDO

For the prosecutors to play this kind of hardball, they either have an awful lot on him, or the public won't stand for anything less, or both.

How low have the mighty fallen! Inaki Urdangarin, former Golden Boy of the Spanish Royal Family and rumored to have been favored by Juan Carlos, could be headed to the slammer?!:eek:

I feel terribly sad for the Urdangarin children. Shame on Cristina and Inaki.:ermm:

How low have the mighty fallen! Inaki Urdangarin, former Golden Boy of the Spanish Royal Family and rumored to have been favored by Juan Carlos, could be headed to the slammer?!:eek:

I feel terribly sad for the Urdangarin children. Shame on Cristina and Inaki.:ermm:

Hmmm, I suddenly thought of the Orange is the New Black series - only this one will be Orange is the New Purple.

I refuse to believe that Inaki is anywhere near 15-20 years of jailtime. You get away with much less for manslaughter.

For as guilty as he is supposed to be 20 years are exaggerated to me... If I think that Pistorius got away with much much less for manslaughter...

For as guilty as he is supposed to be 20 years are exaggerated to me... If I think that Pistorius got away with much much less for manslaughter...

I completely agree. They want to make an example out of Inaki, who certainly does deserve to be punished. But unlike Pistorius he didn't kill anybody:sad:!

well I think he is going to be considered guilty and he is going to prison...not for 19 years but at least 10...

I have to agree with GracieGiraffe. If the prosecutor is pushing such a harsh sentence for a person with no known criminal history, he must have some extraordinary information that has not been made public.

I have to agree with GracieGiraffe. If the prosecutor is pushing such a harsh sentence for a person with no known criminal history, he must have some extraordinary information that has not been made public.

In addition, I think this amount of time reflects the possibility of consecutive sentences for more than one crime.

In addition, I think this amount of time reflects the possibility of consecutive sentences for more than one crime.

That was my thought too. Also, that amount of time may be the maximum he could be sentenced to. A lot of times you hear the penalty for xxx is doing 15-20 and eligible for parole at yyy.

We'll just have to see what happens.

For the prosecutors to play this kind of hardball, they either have an awful lot on him, or the public won't stand for anything less, or both.
GG-Do we have similar sentencing in the U.S.?

GG-Do we have similar sentencing in the U.S.?

I'm not sure, but I would not be surprised if it were much worse. First of all, this would in all likelihood be a federal RICO - which encompasses much more than racketeering - it covers things like money laundering, mail and wire fraud, etc. Since a court can impose consecutive sentences for separate transactions and occurrences, God knows how many of those there are - although the concept of consecutive sentencing might be a little different in a RICO situation, which in and of itself requires more than one act.

Even beyond that would be the civil penalties. If there's a RICO conviction - whoever would qualify as a civil plaintiff gets treble damages, and most likely their attorneys fees covered. I'm not sure if the government can be a civil plaintiff in RICO, but I don't see why not. That alone probably gets defendants like Inaki to take a plea on a lesser, non-RICO charge, whether it involves jail time or not - the money involved if there's a conviction is just too high.

So while Inaki probably does not have much to be thankful for this Christmas, he can be thankful for the fact that he did not commit any RICO's in the U.S. :p

Now that I've brought up civil penalties, I'm curious. Not all criminal statutes in the U.S. allow civil causes of action, but some do. Can anybody sue Inaki civilly for his actions in Spain? If so, who and what kind of damages are available?

Spain's Princess Cristina has paid a civil bond totalling €587,000 ($730,000) owed in a fraud case against her into the wrong bank account, prompting Spaniards to take to Twitter to lampoon the scandal-hit royal.
Twitter user @cot_julia tweeted: "And that’s the intelligent sister, be careful".
Another user of the social media platform, @franmcamacho, tweeted “I’ve checked my bank account and I wasn't the lucky one who Princess Cristina made the deposit to. When I was little, I always thought the stupid princess was Elena.”

Princess mocked over bank account mix-up - The Local
https://www.euroweeklynews.com/news...anta-cristina-hands-over-civil-liability-bond

Spain's Princess Cristina has paid a civil bond totalling €587,000 ($730,000) owed in a fraud case against her into the wrong bank account, prompting Spaniards to take to Twitter to lampoon the scandal-hit royal.
Twitter user @cot_julia tweeted: "And that’s the intelligent sister, be careful".
Another user of the social media platform, @franmcamacho, tweeted “I’ve checked my bank account and I wasn't the lucky one who Princess Cristina made the deposit to. When I was little, I always thought the stupid princess was Elena.”

Princess mocked over bank account mix-up - The Local
https://www.euroweeklynews.com/news...anta-cristina-hands-over-civil-liability-bond

i agree with their rage, but i think attacking elena in turn is just not right. elena has never stolen public money.

if cristina has some decency left she should consider abdicating. obviously accepting to pay means she somehow agrees with the veredict so i think her noblesse demands some sort of public apology at least, but this will be too much to ask of her seeing her behaviour along this. otherwise, i am expecting her parents to have some sense of responsibility and convince her into doing so.

Do you think that someday the public image of Cristina will be the same like before?

Blimey, I thought she was in the clear after paying 600.000 euros. What a nightmare.

Wonderful news on Christmas week and it looks as if this ongoing nightmare will continue into 2015!

If the couple is sentenced it will loose the parental power over its minor children

Inãki is almost sure to be found guilty. Cristina's future is somewhat more uncertain, but the news that she will have to stand trial after all came as a shocker, especially after the prosecution itself had dismissed the charges against her.

I think it is inevitable now that she will renounce her place in the line of the succession. I suspect her brother, the King, will demand it from her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom