Iñaki, Cristina and the NOOS Corruption Investigation Part 1 (2011-2014)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Duke, I cannot see them returning to Spain. Whether or not Inaki is imprisoned, somehow, someway, Cristina will get a job in the U.S. Their lifestyle will continue much the same, everyone who follows them will wonder how, JC and Sofia will most likely support them because of the grandchildren. and this will follow them for years to come.

Their life in Washington, D.C. is not without stress. I read an article with pictures of Cristina being followed into a grocery store by the press and asked questions about Inaki. I don't understand how people can think King Juan Carlos could afford to support Cristina in her current lifestyle if Inaki loses his job or goes to prison. JC does not have the income or wealth of other monarchs and Inaki reportedly makes close to a million dollars a year with benefits.

Their life in Washington, D.C. is not without stress. I read an article with pictures of Cristina being followed into a grocery store by the press and asked questions about Inaki. I don't understand how people think King Juan Carlos could afford to support Cristina in her current lifestyle if Inaki loses his job or goes to prison. JC does not have the income or wealth of other monarchs and Inaki reportedly makes close to a million dollars a year with benefits.

True enough, Lindy. Cristina will never be free from that kind of media attention. Given what is starting to come out about her in the press regarding this matter, that's really too bad. :whistling:

I'm thinking of the four innocents here. Children in the U.S. are completely oblivious to this. Even among their parents who are aware there is a monarch in Spain, the "Urdangarin" surname will mean nothing to them.

Prosecutors are asking for a hefty bail for Inaki - hence perhaps the renovations of the house for collateral for the bail bond:

http://elpais.com/elpais/2012/05/28/inenglish/1338214246_430294.html

Last edited:
Prosecutors are asking for a hefty bail for Inaki - hence perhaps the renovations of the house for collateral for the bail bond:

Prosecutors to request four-million-euro bail for Urdangarin | In English | EL PAÍS

This article is really frightening for them. Bail bond for Inaki and his partner may be set at 4 million euro each! Plus further investigation as to whether Cristina should be charged, as she was a partner with Inaki in a company to which services were subcontracted. Very sad indeed for their family and the children.

:previous:
Sad, but understandable. By all accounts, Cristina was not only aware of the wrongdoings, but also actually assisted her husband. If she hadn't been the King's daughter, an Infanta of Spain, she would have most definitely been charged.

As for the bail, it sounds reasonable to me; both Inaki and his partner have financial means to escape justice, if it comes to that. I strongly doubt Inaki would compromise the Monarchy to that extent, but it is theoretically possible. In most similar cases (large-scale financial corruption or machination cases), bail was set at similar threshold.

While I do feel sorry for their children, I must admit having zero sympathy for Cristina and Inaki. They were in position of immense privilege and responsibility, but choose to compromise not only their own honour, but also put the very institution of Monarchy at risk. What did they expect? That they'll never be caught? That the King's name and influence will protect them?

Last edited:
Artemisia;1420754 While I do feel sorry for their children said:
I really WANT to believe that they were innocent of the fact that they couldn't do exactly what they wanted. I feel that they just thought since they required more money, no one would question, especially Cristina who was always the King's favorite. He [the king] would always protect her. She was raised that way and could see no problem. Times have changed and now the media will investigate everyone and everything. She is right in there with the wrong doing along with her husband.

The only thing that will get her out of the media's cross-hairs is if someone else in the Royal Spanish Family gets into a rotten scandal [like Felipe divorcing or living with a mistress]! Until that happens, Inaki and Cristina will take center stage with all the back-lash falling on the King because of the stupid secret way he tried to cover it all up!

:previous:
Sad, but understandable. By all accounts, Cristina was not only aware of the wrongdoings, but also actually assisted her husband. If she hadn't been the King's daughter, an Infanta of Spain, she would have most definitely been charged.

As for the bail, it sounds reasonable to me; both Inaki and his partner have financial means to escape justice, if it comes to that. I strongly doubt Inaki would compromise the Monarchy to that extent, it is theoretically possible. In most similar cases (large-scale financial corruption or machination cases), bail was set at similar threshold.

While I do feel sorry for their children, I must admit having zero sympathy for Cristina and Inaki. They were in position of immense privilege and responsibility, but choose to compromise not only their own honour, but also put the very institution of Monarchy at risk. What did they expect? That they'll never be caught? That the King's name and influence will protect them?

I completely agree about everything. I don't feel sorry for anyone involved - and I feel tremendously sorry for those who were not, most especially the children.

This is a high bail, but this is a big, big charge. If Cristina is charged, then you have some more bail.

And both parents possibly facing a criminal trial (seriously, these poor children!). A week ago I would have said Cristina will get a pass, no matter what her involvement. Now I think she will be investigated, I think these matters reported are setting the stage for the public to prepare for the investigation phase, just like they did with Inaki. She is not out of the woods by any means.

Alright, I have to agree with you guys. If Christia was involved then she needs to face the music as well. I hate to say that but she is just as guilty and being a Princess should not be a factor for her not to face punishment. I just hate the thought of those kids being without their parents. How horrible and shameful. I suppose she will be questioned and if its the truth then so be it with the punishment. What a true dishonor to her family and to the people of Spain.

I'd like to see full justice for the guilty and full compassion for the innocent... an impossible task. :bang:

A week ago I would have said Cristina will get a pass, no matter what her involvement. Now I think she will be investigated, I think these matters reported are setting the stage for the public to prepare for the investigation phase, just like they did with Inaki. She is not out of the woods by any means.

I'm still unsure whether she'll be investigated but I hope she will.

Aside from the children, I have no sympathy whatsoever for Cristina and Inaki. She is the daugther of a King who thought she was entitled to do what she wanted, he was the "golden Basque, Barca handball player boy" that could do no wrong. That is, with the exception of ending his relationship with his long time GF when Cristina came knocking on his door. :innocent:.

I hope he does jail time.

Last edited:
Alondra, I think that the most likely scenario here is a guilty plea, no jail time and restitution, as was pointed out in Duke of Marmalade's most recent post.

There are several reasons for this, including potential damage to the reputation of the SRF, avoiding a veritable circus surrounding the trial, as well as the tremendous cost of prosecution. It's cheaper for the taxpayer to accept a guilty plea and obtain restitution.

My only gripe is that if the Duke is to avoid jail time, it should be FULL restitution. They have assets.

My only gripe is that if the Duke is to avoid jail time, it should be FULL restitution. They have assets.

We don't KNOW they have assets, do we? They own a home, but that doesn't mean they have any equity in it.

The house in Barcelona is rumoured to be worth around 6 million, but probably not if you have to sell under pressure. Still, even a modest lifestyle for a family of six will cost money, especially outside Spain.

In my opinon the nepotism will continue after the scandal, the family will be offered housing and jobs by rich friends / relatives who owe JC a favour.

Last edited:
The house in Barcelona is rumoured to be worth around 6 million, but probably not if you have to sell under pressure. Still, even a mosted lifestyle for a family of six will cost money, especially outside Spain.

In my opinon the nepotism will continue after the scandal, the family will be offered housing and jobs by rich friends / relatives who owe JC a favour.

Yes, this is most likely what will happen.

Whether or not they have assets, they should have to pay restitution like everyone else who has a judgment against them. Let them work in the future to pay off any judgment instead of ski vacations in Morocco and private schools for the kids.

Cristina will come under pressure either way, apparently Spains banks need 40 Billion Euros and La Caixa is the third largest, I wonder how long they will continue to provide Cristina with a 200.000 Euro per year job for - yes, for what exactly?

Cristina will come under pressure either way, apparently Spains banks need 40 Billion Euros and La Caixa is the third largest, I wonder how long they will continue to provide Cristina with a 200.000 Euro per year job for - yes, for what exactly?

I'm wondering how long Inaki will remain at Telefonica. Will he last there if/when formal charges are filed, or would they keep him on payroll if/when there is a plea and or conviction?

I'm wondering how long Inaki will remain at Telefonica. Will he last there if/when formal charges are filed, or would they keep him on payroll if/when there is a plea and or conviction?

It will only happen in agreement with the King since he was the one who placed him there.

If he pleads guilty or is found guilty its likely that he has to go, Telefonica S.A. has to answer to its shareholders and there will be too much negative publicity. Not to mention that Inaki is on a far too absurd salary to keep him there.

It will only happen in agreement with the King since he was the one who placed him there.

If he pleads guilty or is found guilty its likely that he has to go, Telefonica S.A. has to answer to its shareholders and there will be too much negative publicity. Not to mention that Inaki is on a far too absurd salary to keep him there.

That makes sense. For most people, once you plead guilty to such a charge (which is what he appears to be angling towards) it is difficult if not impossible to get such a high ranking position again, or any position.

Given what's happened to the Spanish property market, that 6 million euro house may only be worth a fraction of the price they paid for it.

If he's found guilty, surely he'll have to repay the money he stole? Which I'm assuming would bankrupt him. Do we think the King would step in at that stage to bail his son-in-law out?

Given what's happened to the Spanish property market, that 6 million euro house may only be worth a fraction of the price they paid for it.

If he's found guilty, surely he'll have to repay the money he stole? Which I'm assuming would bankrupt him. Do we think the King would step in at that stage to bail his son-in-law out?

They'll be helped out somehow. Regardless of any sort of restitution/bankruptcy, etc, Inaki and Christina will never live like they're poor. They'll come to some sort of agreement with the prosecutors eventually, make restitution, (whether that involves paying back money, jail time, whatever), and then be given a nice, soft landing by wealthy and influential family and friends. If the friends are smart they won't be given positions of real responsibility, and they'll need to lay low for awhile but they'll be given a second chance, (which isn't necessarily a bad thing, IMO).

I agree that they will be helped out, and that there will be a soft landing.

They may land soft financially, but still there is a heavy price to be paid by the whole family: the repercussions on a social/class level, the likability never to live in Spain again, the image of the whole SRF damaged because in the end they will orchestrate the soft landing. Wrongdoing shouldnt pay off but compared to others having done wrong but without connections it certainly does for Inaki.

They may land soft financially, but still there is a heavy price to be paid by the whole family: the repercussions on a social/class level, the likability never to live in Spain again, the image of the whole SRF damaged because in the end they will orchestrate the soft landing. Wrongdoing shouldnt pay off but compared to others having done wrong but without connections it certainly does for Inaki.

I agree, the "soft landing" will be a financial one, IMO. But the price will be a heavy one, including problems within the family itself, most likely, or within the marriage. A united front now might very well change in the future. I'd rather have the financial issues than all of these other issues.

Police found the contract between Urdangarin with frontmen in Belize

Iñaki Urdangarin - each passing day brings him a little closer to prison. The judicial investigation conducted by Judge Jose Castro has collected a trail of evidence against the Duke of Palma. And not just for an alleged crime of fraud against public administration, but also for possible tax evasion and tax fraud.

According to police reports data, held by the prosecution, the front men of the Duke of Palma would have a network of about 50 firms, most front companies to launder money and divert tax havens, such as Belize or Panama, for Noos Institute.

La policía halla el contrato que vincula a Urdangarin con testaferros en Belice - EcoDiario.es

My God, my God...I really wonder what will happen...:bang:
Police found the contract between Urdangarin with frontmen in Belize

Iñaki Urdangarin - each passing day brings him a little closer to prison. The judicial investigation conducted by Judge Jose Castro has collected a trail of evidence against the Duke of Palma. And not just for an alleged crime of fraud against public administration, but also for possible tax evasion and tax fraud.

According to police reports data, held by the prosecution, the front men of the Duke of Palma would have a network of about 50 firms, most front companies to launder money and divert tax havens, such as Belize or Panama, for Noos Institute.

La policía halla el contrato que vincula a Urdangarin con testaferros en Belice - EcoDiario.es

The situation gets worse for Inaki by day.
I'm not even certain the prosecution would actually accept guilty plea at this stage; the evidence against Inaki appears to be too substantial for that.
Unless, of course, they are pressured into accepting the plea - and that would be a huge PR mistake on behalf of the Royal Family and the King personally.

The situation gets worse for Inaki by day.
I'm not even certain the prosecution would actually accept guilty plea at this stage; the evidence against Inaki appears to be too substantial for that.
Unless, of course, they are pressured into accepting the plea - and that would be a huge PR mistake on behalf of the Royal Family and the King personally.

Duke, thanks for that link. Artemisia, if you click on the link there is a link to another story from that periodical - it appears that they cannot or will not accept a guilty plea. (I think it's "cannot"). The link sums it up far better than me.

The information about the 50 businesses, etc, and the other possible charges are just staggering to me. Simply and utterly staggering. I knew that the allegations were bad, but this is incredible. If this is all true, what was he thinking?

Artemisia, unless Cristina is investigated and/or charged, I would guess the SRF is going to start to really distancing themselves, not only on the surface.

P.S. Did I mention that I'm glad I'm not Inaki today? :eek:

The scale is certainly no longer on "trivial offence" level as what corruption is often treated in some countries where there is a longstanding history of "doing it that way", it rather sounds like organized crime from Inaki & his "friends".

What kind of marriage is this in case Cristina didnt know? She either closed her eyes because she is a person who isnt interested in where the money is coming from, the main point is that its there; or she knew exactly what was going on and thought that nobody would dare to expose the King's son-in-law.

I agree, Duke. It does sound like an organized crime ring now. When the information first started making the rounds last fall, you really don't know how much involvement, or the exact details, etc.

As for Cristina, it will be very interesting to see how this plays out in the next few years. If I could give her any benefit of the doubt, when you have four young children like she did all in the space of 6 years or so you are in a fog - all those pregnancies, nursing, etc, mothering. I'm sure she had a tremendous amount of help, but still... add to that her royal duties.

I'm not sure what kind of marriage they had.... but it will be nothing but strain from here on out no matter what brave face they show the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom