Iñaki, Cristina and the NOOS Corruption Investigation Part 1 (2011-2014)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Alondra said:
I don't believe everyone in the family knew the business Inaki and Cristina were involved in. I'm sure Elena didn't and most specially the Asturias. Few of us are aware what our brothers and sisters' families get up to without our knowledge - it's simply a fact of life.

I do think Cristina will give up her succession right to the throne - for her and her children. It's coming.

I don't think the children should be punished. Granted, that would largely be a symbolic gesture given how unlikely any of them are to become King/Queen but still.

You make a very good point. I didn't think of her succession rights [although quite far back now]. That would certainly be a slap in the face. You are probably correct about siblings not knowing EXACTLY the extent of all the businesses Inake had a hand in. I certainly don't with mine and they have quite nice lives. I honestly think that Inaki and Cristina were both involved and thought that their position would protect. It seems that the king is trying to protect [ and maybe 50 years ago the media would have turned their eye and it would have worked] but today that is not so. I wonder if the average person in Spain will "forgive and forget" as Cristina was always the media sweetheart [until Letizia and Felipe's children were born]. Every country seems to have someone putting their hands in the money pot illegally---we have John Edwards at the present time!

You wonder if the average person in Spain will "forgive and forget". Well, I think time heals everything and sooner or later we will be have worse things to talk about, but he truth is that the whole thing has done an irreparable damage to the monarchy is Spain. We (the Spaniards in this forum) cannot be considered the average ones because if we joined once this Forum is because we like monarchies, or at least, in some way we sympathize with them, even if we are sometimes critical with them (I have been really critical sometimes) But it's just because I know what they represent, what they are for and I believe their behaviour must be exemplary. Always. Right now, with Iñaki's bussiness, Felipe's foot and the King's journey to Botswana, I think that unfortunately the average Spaniard has said: "Ok, enough!" In these days, I haven't heard any comment supporting the Royals and loads of them critizising them. I think the popularity of monarchy is really decreasing.

"I do think Cristina will give up her succession right to the throne - for her and her children. It's coming."

I think that's what she would do in any other country (personally, I do not believe she didn't know anything). But unfortunately, in my country the civil servants, politicians... they don't have the "tradition" of resigning even when their behaviours are completely reproachable.

Who knows...

What a sorry mess this has turned into. Cristina needs to give up her succession rights for sure, and no more representing Spain either. This is turning out to be the Spanish royal family's annus horribilis -- what with Inaki/Cristina/JC embroiled in corruption case, JC breaking hip while shooting elephants, JC and the mistress, Froilan shooting his foot. Am I missing something?? Yet they only do it to themselves.

I dont see Cristina giving up her succession rights. With Felipe as King, she will fade into the background anyway, only doing the odd event, and not necessarily in connection with or for the then core SRF. The possibility of Cristina or her family on the throne is the same as a black hole swallowing Felipe, Leonor, Elena and Froilan = zero. Then, it is not Cristina who is accused or even convicted of wrongdoing, it is Inaki. If she felt responsible for what her husband is doing to the degree of involving herself, she would have acted differently in the past. Giving up succession rights or leaving the SRF is not done just like that, its a process, who should start this process? Cristina? The King? Bringing even more attention to the issue? It would sound like the confession of guilt of a person who hasnt even been questioned by the authorities and wasnt involved in the case. Doesnt make any sense to me. If giving up succession rights is not Cristina's wish I dont see who or what institution could make her do so.

One thing I don't understand is that why the judge and prosecutors haven't asked Inaki's partner to submit all 200 emails he retrieved from an old PC the prosecutors missed when they searched the offices of Noos. Now Torres is using the emails blackmailing Inaki and the monarchy for millions (10 millions at least). With the emails, the judge and prosecutors probably would find out more on whether Cristina had involved in Noos (since the Kings has impunity), it would definitely help their investigation. Maybe they just prefer not to read the emails, this way they can continue pretending Cristina didn't do anything, she didn't know anything LOL :eek:.

El exsocio de Urdangarin amenaza con revelar información comprometedora | Política | EL PAÍS

translated:
Google Translate

One thing I don't understand is that why the judge and prosecutors haven't asked Inaki's partner to submit all 200 emails he retrieved from an old PC the prosecutors missed when they searched the offices of Noos. Now Torres is using the emails blackmailing Inaki and the monarchy for millions (10 millions at least).

Maybe for the same reason why Cristina hasnt even been questioned :whistling:

Torres was clever and watched his back during the fraud period, making sure he had proof of Inaki and possibly members of the SRF being involved. To keep Inaki out of jail or to prevent the public from knowing who of the SRF knew and to what extent is certainly a life insurance for Torres.

I am always surprised that people think the SRF, especially the King (and he will have taught his children accordingly) are whiter than white. When only looking at fractions of the history it is clear that JC didnt regain the Spanish throne because of his integrity and he certainly didnt stay there for almost 40 years because of it. And Felipe wont keep it because of it.

The SRF has always been shrewder than shrewd but nobody talked about it, especially the media, because the country and the establishment were better off with the King and his connections rather than without him .

The SRF in personification of Inaki was only too out of touch to realize that the tide has turned - it started with Letizia's arrival (or any other woman Felipe would have married) that the press started eroding the untouchable code - but they didnt get the sign of the times and Inaki & Co were probably even more sure they could do no wrong with the distraction concentrating on the SIL.

Inaki Urdangarin's Front Man Robert Cockx Sighting In Madrid
SAN LORENZO DE EL ESCORIA, SPAIN - MAY 07: Inaki Urdangarin's front man Robert Cockx is seen on May 7, 2012 in San Lorenzo de El Escoria, Spain.

Getty Images - Search: ESP: Inaki Urdangarin's Front Man Robert Cockx Sighting In Madrid#

Iñaki Urdangarín and his former partner Diego Torres seeking an agreement with prosecutors to avoid jail

Iñaki Urdangarín y su ex socio Diego Torres buscan un acuerdo con la Fiscalía para eludir la cárcel

Google Google Translate

The King's House is not aware of an extortion attempt Diego Torres

http://www.hola.com/noticias-de-actualidad/08-05-2012/91543/casasreales/

http://translate.google.com.tr/tran...ualidad/08-05-2012/91543/casasreales/&act=url

Last edited:
I've been following this case from the beginning. What a mess!!! I feel sorry for the four children of Inaki and Cristina - and I can't imagine what tension they feel in that house. It's best that they are in the U.S. at least for the sake of the kids - their peers in the U.S. would not really know about this as the classmates in Spain would.

As somebody who is a monarchist, I fully support full justice here, and no deals and no preferential treatment for anyone found to be involved. That is the only way for the SRF to survive, IMO. If anyone is seen as getting a pass because of who they are, that could be the true death knell for the monarchy. This would be so unfair for the Asturias and their children, who I don't think were involved or knew about it. To make matters worse, this could not have happened at a worse time, economically.

Does anyone know when this would theoretically go to trial.

It's best that they are in the U.S. at least for the sake of the kids - their peers in the U.S. would not really know about this as the classmates in Spain would.

As somebody who is a monarchist, I fully support full justice here, and no deals and no preferential treatment for anyone found to be involved. That is the only way for the SRF to survive, IMO. If anyone is seen as getting a pass because of who they are, that could be the true death knell for the monarchy. This would be so unfair for the Asturias and their children, who I don't think were involved or knew about it. To make matters worse, this could not have happened at a worse time, economically.

I agree with you 100%. 90% of the American population do not know or care about Inaki and his family. They must be told that his wife is royality and even then don't care as she is not next in line. Their four children would be better off being raised "anywhere" other than Spain. The only Royals that Americans favor are from UK, Denmark & Holland. Don't know why, but that is just the way it is. Even Monoco, which once was favored due to Grace Kelly, is no longer a media delight.

Many Spanish born couples, which I have had the pleasure of meeting at events, would like to see the King either step down or get completely out of the media's eye for a year or two and let their beloved Queen and the Asturias take up the Royal duties. Almost like "out of sight; out of mind". They were always fond of Inaki and his family and loved the King. Now they are all ashamed of both.

I agree with you 100%. 90% of the American population do not know or care about Inaki and his family. They must be told that his wife is royality and even then don't care as she is not next in line. Their four children would be better off being raised "anywhere" other than Spain. The only Royals that Americans favor are from UK, Denmark & Holland. Don't know why, but that is just the way it is. Even Monoco, which once was favored due to Grace Kelly, is no longer a media delight.

Many Spanish born couples, which I have had the pleasure of meeting at events, would like to see the King either step down or get completely out of the media's eye for a year or two and let their beloved Queen and the Asturias take up the Royal duties. Almost like "out of sight; out of mind". They were always fond of Inaki and his family and loved the King. Now they are all ashamed of both.

Yes, I agree. I am glad that the Urgandarin children are living in the United States. I hope they remain here. The royalty of any country other than Britain is the stuff of big-point trivia or game show questions here in the U.S. And even Britain - I just played team trivia and a question which very few people knew was the last name of the reigning house of Britain!!! Hard for people who post here to believe, but it is true. ;) I doubt many people in the U.S. are even aware that there IS a monarch in Spain.

From what I have read in articles and message boards, Cristina and Inaki and JC will have a tough time reestablishing their previous images, even if there are ultimately no convictions, and I believe that it is only a matter of time before JC announces that he will retire, and he will cite declining health (which has been in decline). I have friends who live in Spain, and I think people want a thorough investigation and a thorough housecleaning.

I am sorry to hear that "the people in the US are not aware that there is a mornarch in Spain, and that the only Royals that Americans favor are from UK, Denmark & Holland . . ."

I am sorry to hear that "the people in the US are not aware that there is a mornarch in Spain, and that the only Royals that Americans favor are from UK, Denmark & Holland . . ."

Yes, I agree, but I'm guessing that the Urgandarin kids are NOT sorry to hear it, esp. their oldest son, who at his age must be completely aware of the situation, and is relieved to live in relative anonymity. ;)

Especially given the large Hispanic and Latino Population!

and I believe that it is only a matter of time before JC announces that he will retire, and he will cite declining health (which has been in decline).

I disagree, he will never retire, like Queen Elizabeth, unless health reasons force him to do so, and I mean mental health, not physical health. The last thing I can imagine is JC being Elder Statesman watching Felipe reign. No, it will never happen. Felipe will only be King when the old man has gone, either mentally or dead & buried. Even with declining physical health, JC is still the boss of the lot, does what he thinks is right, its something he fought for all his life. He is alpha, not backbench. Even with age.

Re Inaki, the issue will go on and on and on. If he will be charged, he might go to prison. Just imagine the media supergau, the King's SIL in jail. If he doesnt and makes a deal, people will say he got a deal because of who he is. Same if he won't be charged for some reason.

Because of all this there is a big chance that Inaki will lose his job with Telefonica. If the family chose to come back in Spain and live off the Infanta's income it will be very modest, plus media terror on a daily basis. If they live outside Spain they will need new jobs (Cristina might lose hers at Caixa eventually when not returning to Barcelona) and people will either be annoyed that Inaki or Cristina will get other well paid jobs because of who they are or they will ask the question who actually forks out for them if they dont work? The only option would be the King who doesnt want to see his daughters family suffer. Understandable, but bad publicity. This whole saga will keep the SRF on the gossip pages for years to come.

I don't think he will step down even when he is mentally ill. Felipe would be regent, IMO.

I disagree, he will never retire, like Queen Elizabeth, unless health reasons force him to do so, and I mean mental health, not physical health. The last thing I can imagine is JC being Elder Statesman watching Felipe reign. No, it will never happen. Felipe will only be King when the old man has gone, either mentally or dead & buried. Even with declining physical health, JC is still the boss of the lot, does what he thinks is right, its something he fought for all his life. He is alpha, not backbench. Even with age.

Re Inaki, the issue will go on and on and on. If he will be charged, he might go to prison. Just imagine the media supergau, the King's SIL in jail. If he doesnt and makes a deal, people will say he got a deal because of who he is. Same if he won't be charged for some reason.

Because of all this there is a big chance that Inaki will lose his job with Telefonica. If the family chose to come back in Spain and live off the Infanta's income it will be very modest, plus media terror on a daily basis. If they live outside Spain they will need new jobs (Cristina might lose hers at Caixa eventually when not returning to Barcelona) and people will either be annoyed that Inaki or Cristina will get other well paid jobs because of who they are or they will ask the question who actually forks out for them if they dont work? The only option would be the King who doesnt want to see his daughters family suffer. Understandable, but bad publicity. This whole saga will keep the SRF on the gossip pages for years to come.

Duke, I cannot see them returning to Spain. Whether or not Inaki is imprisoned, somehow, someway, Cristina will get a job in the U.S. Their lifestyle will continue much the same, everyone who follows them will wonder how, JC and Sofia will most likely support them because of the grandchildren. and this will follow them for years to come.

Especially given the large Hispanic and Latino Population!

I doubt that's true, getting a few clips in CNN over the years doesn't make you famous, most of Americas don't even remember or show any interest. The Spanish RF is much more known than the Dutch or Danish RF in US, especially among the large Hispanic and Latino Populatio.

I don't think he will step down even when he is mentally ill. Felipe would be regent, IMO.

If he is mentally ill, he might be forced to step down in the future . There is a talk about the new crown Law that includes the role of the Prince of Asturias, renunciations and abdications. If the King doesn't step down in case of not being physically capable, the new law will probably (IMO) make Felipe the regent instead of merely representing the King as he did.

http://www.tiempodehoy.com/espana/el-rey-quiere-una-ley-de-la-corona

Last edited:
I think that because of the large latino population in the U.S., there is some recognition of the SRF, but only the superstars like Felipe, Letizia and their daughters. They do make the pages of some online sites, such as Huffington post, but never Elena or Cristina. I do think Elena and Cristina are virtually unheard of. Those in the U.S. who know about the Urgandarin issue follow BBC news, and not American media.

I think that because of the large latino population in the U.S., there is some recognition of the SRF, but only the superstars like Felipe, Letizia and their daughters. They do make the pages of some online sites, such as Huffington post, but never Elena or Cristina. I do think Elena and Cristina are virtually unheard of. Those in the U.S. who know about the Urgandarin issue follow BBC news, and not American media.

The King and Queen are well known among the Latinos. JC had helped to bring democracy to Spain, he was on the cover of Time magazine before. He is well known among the older generation well educated Americans.
The Spanish RF has been low key and austere, they don't give interviews, they don't hire US PR firms to promote their foundations (ex. like Mary Foundation). I don't think they care if they are being covered by the US media or not.

Duke, I cannot see them returning to Spain. Whether or not Inaki is imprisoned, somehow, someway, Cristina will get a job in the U.S. Their lifestyle will continue much the same, everyone who follows them will wonder how, JC and Sofia will most likely support them because of the grandchildren. and this will follow them for years to come.

Cristina wants to return to Spain. Before Inaki's scandal broke last fall, she pretty much spent half of her time in Spain. There were rumors of marital crisis two years ago, the main reason was that she spent too much time alone in Spain. Not exactly a crisis IMO, but the press would always speculate when a couple spent too much time apart. The media said Inaki would be formally charged this summer, afterward, he likely will lose his job in telefonica, his partner has already been fired from the ESADE business school where he was a professor. If that's the case, they would have to make a move, either move back to their own house in Barcelona, or sell the house, buy a new one somewhere. Without Inaki's telefonica job, they can't afford their lifestyle in DC. Last week Cristina was in Barcelona for work, also remodeled her house. I think they already have a plan.

Last edited:
:previous:
I agree about Cristina wanting to go back, her job is there, friends etc. But I dont see them getting on with the media pressure day in day out. Maybe the adults (well, Inaki may be not be with them) but not the children. It would be living hell for them, not only the media, but their environment, friends etc ... I dont think they can handle it in the long run.

I dont see them stay in the US either, they are there on Inakis work visa, of course something could be arranged but who wants to burn his fingers with Inaki? Telefonica has been funding a lavish lifestye out there, no way they can afford this without help from the King or another nepotism job.

I've said before that London would be a good solution, its close to Spain, they have wealthy relatives out there, if even Telma thinks she will can lead a paparazzi-free life there it would certainly apply to the Palma family too.

With the renovation work on the house, I think they are preparing it to be sold or rented out in the long run. I cant imagine them moving back in as if nothing has happened. It wont be working this way.

The King and Queen are well known among the Latinos.
The Spanish speaking community here in America might know the King of Spain, but since most of them originated from either Cuba, Mexico or Puerto Rico, they feel absolutely no allegiance to Spain's King. The couples I have personally met again at charity functions are now quite ashamed of JC but still adore his wife. All three of these couples attended Felipe and Letizia's wedding so they are not just people only "reading" about JC & Inaki, but people that have socially been in their company.

The fact that Americans are not affected emotionally by Inaki's actions is a great sign for his beautiful children. If they stayed in America, they would have a more normal life as their school friends would not be listening to gossip at home and question them, as children do.

:previous:
I agree about Cristina wanting to go back, her job is there, friends etc. But I dont see them getting on with the media pressure day in day out. Maybe the adults (well, Inaki may be not be with them) but not the children. It would be living hell for them, not only the media, but their environment, friends etc ... I dont think they can handle it in the long run.

I dont see them stay in the US either, they are there on Inakis work visa, of course something could be arranged but who wants to burn his fingers with Inaki? Telefonica has been funding a lavish lifestye out there, no way they can afford this without help from the King or another nepotism job.

I've said before that London would be a good solution, its close to Spain, they have wealthy relatives out there, if even Telma thinks she will can lead a paparazzi-free life there it would certainly apply to the Palma family too.

With the renovation work on the house, I think they are preparing it to be sold or rented out in the long run. I cant imagine them moving back in as if nothing has happened. It wont be working this way.

I thought that they might be renovating the house for sale. (Although could be the days are now numbered for Inaki's career in D.C. as this matter unfolds). As much as Cristina and Inaki may long for Spain, I think it would be a great disservice for the children to move back. Not only the media, but how could those children ever attend school with their peers? I don't feel sorry for Cristina in this predicament, and if she returns to Spain, I will really wonder about her as a mother.

Good point on the U.S. visa, but somehow the powerful and connected never seem to have much issue obtaining one....:whistling:

London is a likely alternative.

I have to agree that she should think of the children first. I understand she would want to go home to Spain but the children would have a difficult time with the paparazzi and people in general. I feel so sorry for the kids since they are innocent in this situation. Its not thier fault that thier father is an idiot and brought this shame on the family. Unfortunately in the end they will see the fall out from this if it is not handled in an appropriate way.

In the meantime, the discussion about at least questioning Infanta Cristina hasnt died down
La Audiencia delibera si imputa a la infanta Cristina | Política | EL PAÍS

In some of the emails that Diego Torres provided after the judges had decided not to question her, it seems obvious that she helped Inaki placing deals with Majorcan businessmen.

The treasurer of Noos, Carlos Garcia Revenga, who is the personal secretary of Cristina is still at Zarzuela (he has been around for almost 20 years, knows all secrets about the SRF), possibly for a very good reason, because if he started to speak about what really happened I am sure it would go much higher up than Cristina. The King has a good reason to keep Garcia close to his chest.

Their life in Washington, D.C. is not without stress. I read an article with pictures of Cristina being followed into a grocery store by the press and asked questions about Inaki. I don't understand how people think King Juan Carlos could afford to support Cristina in her current lifestyle if Inaki loses his job or goes to prison. JC does not have the income or wealth of other monarchs and Inaki reportedly makes close to a million dollars a year with benefits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom