The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal Family of Spain > Infanta Cristina, Iñaki Urdangarín and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-29-2014, 04:43 AM
Gentry

I also think Cristina should renounce her rights to the throne (the Cortes should take care of this apparently). Though the chances she'll ever become queen are very low, it would be the right thing to do.
She's damaged goods anyway, even if she won't be found guilty.

Old 12-30-2014, 02:52 PM
Imperial Majesty

Cristina and Inaki should be deprived of their titles of Duke and Duchess of Palma de Mallorca, according to Més per Palma.
“The fact that two people who will stand trial for corruption charges hold titles with the name of our city is an insult to the citizens of Palma,” said Més spokesman Antoni Verger in a statement, adding that they will propose the Royal Household should repeal the Royal Decree that conferred the titles on the couple.
‘Royals should be stripped of title’ - Euro Weekly News Spain

Old 12-31-2014, 03:45 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Don Juan Carlos pidió a su hija que renunciase, dice Ónega - La Nueva España - Diario Independiente de Asturias

Juan Carlos I a Felipe VI sobre la infanta Cristina: Déjamelo a mí que soy su padre - Noticias de Casas Reales

There is a new book on King JC, 'The man who would be King', by Fernando Onega.
The author claims that

-JC asked Cristina to give up her dynastic rights already in the summer of 2012, when he sent the former head of household of casa real and the director of Telefonica to speak to her about it. Obviously to no avail. Since then it has become clear that this issue is a personal decision of the Infanta, no pressure can be put on her.

-JC asked Felipe to have him handle the situation with Cristina since she is his daughter and JC helped creating this mess. He does not want Felipe to be burned by this issue at this early stage of his reign.
Old 12-31-2014, 08:03 AM
Courtier

Can Cristina not have her dynastic rights, style, title etc. stripped of her. ?
Old 12-31-2014, 08:10 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breffney View Post
Can Cristina not have her dynastic rights, style, title etc. stripped of her. ?
lula has already answered this question previously:

Today, legally, a descendant of Juan Carlos I can only be away from the succession to the Crown, if the person is married against the opinion of the King and Parliament.

Infanta Cristina can resign, but the decision is free and voluntary, and should not have pressure.

So King Felipe's hands are tied, he can not take away her rights, nor can pressure her to resign, because then the waiver may be invalidated later.
Old 12-31-2014, 08:12 AM
Serene Highness

Apparently not, only she can give them up. If that is the case then I'd like to hope that the Casa Real are working out how to change that in the future.
Old 12-31-2014, 08:20 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
lula has already answered this question previously:

Today, legally, a descendant of Juan Carlos I can only be away from the succession to the Crown, if the person is married against the opinion of the King and Parliament.

Infanta Cristina can resign, but the decision is free and voluntary, and should not have pressure.

So King Felipe's hands are tied, he can not take away her rights, nor can pressure her to resign, because then the waiver may be invalidated later.
Many thanks. ! Cristina has, in my opinion, no shame.

She is obviously playing the long game and is hoping that her appeal will succeed or if it doesn't that she will be found innocent. ?

Were she to give up her dynastic rights now and later be found innocent (or not stand trial at all) would she be able to have her dynastic rights re-instated. ?
Old 12-31-2014, 08:22 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
Apparently not, only she can give them up. If that is the case then I'd like to hope that the Casa Real are working out how to change that in the future.
I guess the government and/or Cortes can remove Cristina out of the line of succession by law. There must be a way. I hope this won't be necessary and that she'll make the wise decision, which is renouncing her succession rights voluntarily. She appears to have refused that at an earlier stage - to me, another sign of poor judgment.
Old 12-31-2014, 09:28 AM
Courtier

I see no reason for her to renounce now. Differently from what many people seems to think, she was not proven guilty and I suppose "innocent until proven guilty" also applies to Infantas of Spain.
Old 12-31-2014, 10:05 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cris M View Post
I see no reason for her to renounce now. Differently from what many people seems to think, she was not proven guilty and I suppose "innocent until proven guilty" also applies to Infantas of Spain.
Cristina renouncing her rights doesn't have to be linked directly to her being guilty or not. In the past, royals had to renounce their succession rights for far less. Times have changed of course, but still.
Frankly, about her rights to the throne, I think it doesn't even matter anymore whether she'll be found guilty or not. Too much has happened and the whole affair has brought huge damage to the monarchy and continues to do so. It's impossible to imagine her as queen, no matter how remote the chances are. She should do the right thing: renounce her rights.
Old 12-31-2014, 10:22 AM
Serene Highness

And let's not forget that there is already an heir, a spare and an another sister of the king and her two children in the line before Cristina. She's never actually going to become Queen so I don't see why she is so eager to hold on to being in the succession.
Old 12-31-2014, 10:33 AM
Heir Presumptive

But if she would renounce her rights now...wouldn't that be interpretated as "confessing guilt"? Even if she isn't guilty and she would officially explain her renouncing her throne-rights with something like the things you guys mentioned above, there would still be people who would interpret it as "proof" that she has done something wrong...

Imo at this very moment she'd do best to lay as low as possible and not make any headlines what so ever, because everything she does will be connected to the NOOS case.
Even if she wants to renounce, than imo it would be best to wait until the trial is over (with whatever result that that brings)
Old 12-31-2014, 10:40 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrjann View Post
Cristina renouncing her rights doesn't have to be linked directly to her being guilty or not. In the past, royals had to renounce their succession rights for far less. Times have changed of course, but still.
Frankly, about her rights to the throne, I think it doesn't even matter anymore whether she'll be found guilty or not. Too much has happened and the whole affair has brought huge damage to the monarchy and continues to do so. It's impossible to imagine her as queen, no matter how remote the chances are. She should do the right thing: renounce her rights.
I think she should wait until the trial is over. Them, depending on the result, she can make a decision.

She knows if she's innocent or guilty, we don't know. What if she renounces now, and is proven innocent later? That would very unfair with her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
And let's not forget that there is already an heir, a spare and an another sister of the king and her two children in the line before Cristina. She's never actually going to become Queen so I don't see why she is so eager to hold on to being in the succession.
That's not a reason for her to renounce. There are three generations of direct heirs in the UK, but Prince Harry is not going to renounce.

I don't think she's eager, it's just her birthright.
Old 12-31-2014, 10:43 AM
Serene Highness

And i think Cristina holds a lot on that birthright, but she seems not to understand that with that birthright comes responsibility. Of course if she is innocent she should remain in the succession and I don't think it would be right for her to renounce her rights now because it would look like she is saying she's guilty. However if she is found guilty in a court I think she should renounce her rights to show her remorse.
Old 12-31-2014, 10:50 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee-Z View Post
But if she would renounce her rights now...wouldn't that be interpretated as "confessing guilt"? Even if she isn't guilty and she would officially explain her renouncing her throne-rights with something like the things you guys mentioned above, there would still be people who would interpret it as "proof" that she has done something wrong...

Imo at this very moment she'd do best to lay as low as possible and not make any headlines what so ever, because everything she does will be connected to the NOOS case.
Even if she wants to renounce, than imo it would be best to wait until the trial is over (with whatever result that that brings)
You have a point about the timing. She should have done it way earlier I think, at the same time as she ceased being a member of the Royal Family. That has already happened, even before she was put on trial. A lot has happened already: out of Royal Family, remarks in Christmas speeches about corruption (without calling her or Iñaki by name of course), not representing King anymore. Renouncing succession rights is, in my view, the logical next and final step.
Old 01-02-2015, 05:30 PM
Majesty

cristina's lawyers have appealed against the bail requested of cristina:

El nuevo recurso de la Infanta Cristina pide retirar la 'injustificada y desproporcionada' fianza | Baleares | EL MUNDO
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 01-02-2015, 07:44 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post

There is a new book on King JC, 'The man who would be King', by Fernando Onega.
The author claims that

-JC asked Cristina to give up her dynastic rights already in the summer of 2012, when he sent the former head of household of casa real and the director of Telefonica to speak to her about it. Obviously to no avail. Since then it has become clear that this issue is a personal decision of the Infanta, no pressure can be put on her.

-JC asked Felipe to have him handle the situation with Cristina since she is his daughter and JC helped creating this mess. He does not want Felipe to be burned by this issue at this early stage of his reign.
Is this book considered completely reliable or just his opinion?
Old 01-02-2015, 10:49 PM
Heir Presumptive

Exactly the question I wanted to ask. If this is reliable, then this is quite a revelation.
Old 01-03-2015, 12:34 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
The King of Spain, like the President of United States, does possess the so-called "right of clemency" (Art. 62(i) of the Spanish constitution). However, as all actions of the King must be countersigned by the president of the government or another competent ministers, I assume he can't grant pardons without the government's approval.
Then it's not at all like the President of the United States. If the President (or Governor of a State) wants to give clemency for someone he doesn't have to ask anybody, he just does it and no one can do a thing about it.
Old 01-03-2015, 12:44 AM
Aristocracy

If the Infanta is found guilty, is there a chance she might go to prison? There wasn't much information about the case in the U.S. until Christina was indicted and not many news stories have delved into the case or what it is.

Closed Thread

Tags
corruption, iñaki urdangarín, infanta cristina, scandal