The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal Family of Spain > Infanta Cristina, Iñaki Urdangarín and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-15-2014, 08:13 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
GG-Do we have similar sentencing in the U.S.?
I'm not sure, but I would not be surprised if it were much worse. First of all, this would in all likelihood be a federal RICO - which encompasses much more than racketeering - it covers things like money laundering, mail and wire fraud, etc. Since a court can impose consecutive sentences for separate transactions and occurrences, God knows how many of those there are - although the concept of consecutive sentencing might be a little different in a RICO situation, which in and of itself requires more than one act.

Even beyond that would be the civil penalties. If there's a RICO conviction - whoever would qualify as a civil plaintiff gets treble damages, and most likely their attorneys fees covered. I'm not sure if the government can be a civil plaintiff in RICO, but I don't see why not. That alone probably gets defendants like Inaki to take a plea on a lesser, non-RICO charge, whether it involves jail time or not - the money involved if there's a conviction is just too high.

So while Inaki probably does not have much to be thankful for this Christmas, he can be thankful for the fact that he did not commit any RICO's in the U.S.

Now that I've brought up civil penalties, I'm curious. Not all criminal statutes in the U.S. allow civil causes of action, but some do. Can anybody sue Inaki civilly for his actions in Spain? If so, who and what kind of damages are available?

Old 12-18-2014, 02:07 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Spain's Princess Cristina has paid a civil bond totalling €587,000 ($730,000) owed in a fraud case against her into the wrong bank account, prompting Spaniards to take to Twitter to lampoon the scandal-hit royal.
Twitter user @cot_julia tweeted: "And that’s the intelligent sister, be careful".
Another user of the social media platform, @franmcamacho, tweeted “I’ve checked my bank account and I wasn't the lucky one who Princess Cristina made the deposit to. When I was little, I always thought the stupid princess was Elena.”

Princess mocked over bank account mix-up - The Local
https://www.euroweeklynews.com/news/...liability-bond

Old 12-18-2014, 03:30 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
Spain's Princess Cristina has paid a civil bond totalling €587,000 ($730,000) owed in a fraud case against her into the wrong bank account, prompting Spaniards to take to Twitter to lampoon the scandal-hit royal.
Twitter user @cot_julia tweeted: "And that’s the intelligent sister, be careful".
Another user of the social media platform, @franmcamacho, tweeted “I’ve checked my bank account and I wasn't the lucky one who Princess Cristina made the deposit to. When I was little, I always thought the stupid princess was Elena.”

Princess mocked over bank account mix-up - The Local
https://www.euroweeklynews.com/news/...liability-bond
i agree with their rage, but i think attacking elena in turn is just not right. elena has never stolen public money.

if cristina has some decency left she should consider abdicating. obviously accepting to pay means she somehow agrees with the veredict so i think her noblesse demands some sort of public apology at least, but this will be too much to ask of her seeing her behaviour along this. otherwise, i am expecting her parents to have some sense of responsibility and convince her into doing so.
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 12-18-2014, 03:40 AM
Heir Apparent

Do you think that someday the public image of Cristina will be the same like before?
I had a dream: Let's connect our thoughts together, than we have a mission, let's connect our feelings together, than we have a mood, let's connect our dreams together, than we have a vision and let's connect our mission, our mood and our vision together than we have a perfect life.
Old 12-22-2014, 05:10 AM
Imperial Majesty

King’s sister Cristina will appear in the dock accused of tax fraud

King’s sister Cristina will appear in the dock accused of tax fraud | In English | EL PAÍS
Old 12-22-2014, 05:31 AM
Serene Highness

She risks a sentence of eight to ten years
Old 12-22-2014, 05:56 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Blimey, I thought she was in the clear after paying 600.000 euros. What a nightmare.
Old 12-22-2014, 06:10 AM
Serene Highness

If the couple is sentenced it will loose the parental power over its minor children
Old 12-22-2014, 06:32 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Wonderful news on Christmas week and it looks as if this ongoing nightmare will continue into 2015!
Old 12-22-2014, 06:44 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjetajiem View Post
If the couple is sentenced it will loose the parental power over its minor children
Inãki is almost sure to be found guilty. Cristina's future is somewhat more uncertain, but the news that she will have to stand trial after all came as a shocker, especially after the prosecution itself had dismissed the charges against her.

I think it is inevitable now that she will renounce her place in the line of the succession. I suspect her brother, the King, will demand it from her.
Old 12-22-2014, 06:55 AM
Serene Highness

Well she knows now at least what she has done.
Loosing her freedom, her rights to the succession, for sure also her title infanta/duquesa and her children.
The price she has to pay!!

It is quite clear that they did it all together
So no succession rights, no title and no children would be an appropriate judgement.
Mrs. Borbon and mr. Urdangarain have to pay the same price as any other citizen
Old 12-22-2014, 07:14 AM
Imperial Majesty

She has been really lucky that the decision was public today. Today is celebrated "El Gordo", the Christmas lottery, and any news is secondary.

We can not do preconceptions, will have to wait to trial, possibly late next year to know what will happen.

Under current Spanish law, the infanta is the only one who can give up her rights of succession and must be a personal decision... by the time she's been deaf to the possible requests that have been done from the Royal House and from the press. We'll see where her stubbornness and selfishness goes.
Old 12-22-2014, 08:10 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjetajiem View Post
And who could take the custody? The royal couple, the former royal couple or Elena?
I had a dream: Let's connect our thoughts together, than we have a mission, let's connect our feelings together, than we have a mood, let's connect our dreams together, than we have a vision and let's connect our mission, our mood and our vision together than we have a perfect life.
Old 12-22-2014, 09:02 AM
Heir Apparent

I think that at least Cristina will walk free... Probably the blame will fall all on Inaki...
Old 12-22-2014, 09:47 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

A journalist from the English language version of El Pais is talking about the case on RTE Radio 1!

Normally the Irish media don't report on royalty unless its regarding the Windsors or Grimaldis.
Old 12-22-2014, 09:52 AM
Serene Highness

Is there a different type of sentencing in Spain for crimes [1] against private organizations, [2] against federal organizations [3] against private citizens [4] against charity organizations within state [5] against charity crossing state borders? I have been trying to locate statutes on Internet. I know that there is a slight difference here in America as crossing state lines and using charity monies for personal use is quite harsh, and should be.
Old 12-22-2014, 10:47 AM
Heir Apparent

Spanish king's sister, Princess Cristina, becomes first member of royal family to stand trial following tax fraud charges over her husband's alleged embezzlement of public funds | Daily Mail Online
Quote:
The Spanish king's sister, Cristina, will become the first member of the royal family ever to stand in the dock after a judge ordered her to stand trial for alleged tax fraud.

The historic decision stemmed from four years of investigations that plunged the royal family into crisis and contributed to the abdication of King Juan Carlos in June.

A court on the island of Majorca ordered Cristina, 49, to stand trial on two counts of accessory to tax fraud in connection with her husband's business affairs, in a written ruling seen by AFP.

She is accused of cooperating in tax evasion by her husband, the former Olympic handball player Inaki Urdangarin.

He is accused of embezzling and laundering millions of euros in public funds.
Old 12-22-2014, 11:37 AM
Imperial Majesty

The couple have been ordered to deposit funds with the court to cover possible liabilities - 2.6 million euros ($3.2 million) in the case of Cristina, and nearly 15 million for Urdanganrin.
They now have 20 days to deposit the money, according to a written court ruling, or face having assets seized.
Spain's Princess Cristina to stand trial on tax fraud charges - Yahoo News
Old 12-22-2014, 12:33 PM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Well, 17,6 million euros is a lot of money to come up with in a few days. I doubt that they have that amount of money ready to go.
Old 12-22-2014, 01:04 PM
Nobility

Infanta Cristina of Spain will face trial for tax fraud - hellomagazine.com

Closed Thread

Tags
corruption, iñaki urdangarín, infanta cristina, scandal