Iñaki, Cristina and the NOOS Corruption Investigation Part 1 (2011-2014)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it has to do with the fact that Inaki was kind of serving Spain in his own right by being part of the Olympic team, a famous and successful handballer (as famous as handballers can get) who got his position through his achievements and hard work (nobody can become a team member through connections at this level). It takes some discipline, talent and effort to get where Inaki got in his sports career, therefore he had a bonus from the start. Plus he is handsome, from Catalonia, he ticked all the likable boxes.

Both Jaime and Letizia were seen as social climbers (more so than Inaki), with Jaime being an akward person and lots of rumours surrounding Letizia, including that she only made it as TVE anchor because of Felipe's interference (6 weeks prior to the engagement the aim was to make her face familiar to the Spanish public and to enhance her CV).

Inaki never came across as social climber, ambitious or calculating since he reached the pinnacle of his career - a career of hard physical work - without the help of the royal house.

Duke, I agree with you that Iñaki's achievements during his sport career were great and due to personal effort and discipline. He was a great sportman and no one denies that. Iñaki was not born in Catalonia, although he was living in Barcelona during his childhood and I think he came back when he was around seventeen years old...

About Letizia, I have no idea if he was conducting the news just because they wanted her to become familiar to the Spaniards. I had never heard about that.

And Jaime, well, his father was a count, his grandfather I think he was a marquis. He comes from aristocrats, he had a wealthy auntie who made him her heir... I wouldn't define Jaime as a social climber...

Duke, I do not believe that it was like that.

Iñaki was a sportsman, of a minority sport, but as every sportsman his sports career was going to finish, and later? Obviously at first people did not thought about it, and then he had a good image and the people did not care much. He went to a private center, they gave to him a title and everything solved. He chose Noos, probably because as counselor of companies it was not enought and because in the Olympian Committee it did not work. Since he left the sport, his work life was confusing.

Jaime had not a great career, but he belonged to a noble family with old relations with the Royal Family. So he was very appropriate, and the connections would provide to him a good work. He started working as counselor of diverse companies and in a foundation.

What you mention of Letizia, is one of many stories, not really relevant. She was 31 and already had a serious career in which she had worked since young (she received a prize as the best journalist younger than 30). She had been working 3 years in the public television (and before in CNN spain), before working on the evening news she was a familiar face. Not only she worked covering news, she had also been in the news in the morning, in Informe Semanal (a program of reporting very important that has been for decades on TV) and was the star of a special program in 2001 to inform the Spanish on the euro (there her face began to be known, and she dind´t knew the prince). She had a job with future (the other anchors were 8 or 10 years older), and recent news on wages in the public television demonstrate that economically she could have lived quite well. She was the only one who had completed a university education and had a serious profession and future, before the wedding.

I think it has to do with the fact that Inaki was kind of serving Spain in his own right by being part of the Olympic team, a famous and successful handballer (as famous as handballers can get) who got his position through his achievements and hard work (nobody can become a team member through connections at this level). It takes some discipline, talent and effort to get where Inaki got in his sports career, therefore he had a bonus from the start. Plus he is handsome, from Catalonia, he ticked all the likable boxes.

Both Jaime and Letizia were seen as social climbers (more so than Inaki), with Jaime being an akward person and lots of rumours surrounding Letizia, including that she only made it as TVE anchor because of Felipe's interference (6 weeks prior to the engagement the aim was to make her face familiar to the Spanish public and to enhance her CV).

Inaki never came across as social climber, ambitious or calculating since he reached the pinnacle of his career - a career of hard physical work - without the help of the royal house.

That's not true. Inaki had always been seen as a bigger social climber than Jaime at the time of their marriage, most of people in Spain knew that Inaki dumped his long-term girlfriend to marry an infanta. Jaime was from an old aristocratic family, pretty good looking before the stroke, he was seen a much suitable husband candidate for an infanta. Most of the cynical ones were those who thought Elena was very ugly and intellectual challenging, they automatically assumed that Jaime married her for the infanta status. Of course, later their marriage failed, Jaime was getting more unfair criticism and being blamed more for the failed marriage although it usually took two to tango.
Felipe is in a different league from his sisters since he is the direct heir to the throne. Some old fashioned monarchists expected him to marry a royal, some aristocratic families were hoping he married one of their own. Letizia has been scrutinized a lot more than Inaki, of course with many rumors or lies. Letizia was the only one among the 3 with formal college and graduate degrees, she had hosted weekly news, morning news, afternoon news, working as correspondent for world big events such as Bush-Gore election, 911 anniversary, Prestige sinking in Galicia, Iraq war, she had been to more Latin American submits than Felipe, to say she only became a TVE anchor because of Felipe was a total lie. According to her former boss, she got her evening news anchor job in June (a normal time TVE decides the programs of the next season) before her relation became really serious with Felipe. Even if she didn't become the most prime time news anchor at that time, she would still have a much better and lasting professional career than a handball star. In fact it's not difficult for a pretty and successful news anchor to marry a rich and successful man, if not, she still had her own career and paycheck to fall back to. I think if Felipe were only an Infante, nobody would be criticizing Letizia either, she probably would have been seen as an only person in the family who made a good living based on her own merit ;).

Here is a video of Letizia hosting Euro program in 2001. There were few that doubted she was destined to success as a TV journalist with good look, good voice and good journalist skills.

La princesa Letizia nos engañó, pues el euro nos empobreció. (VIDEO DE CUANDO TRABAJABA EN TELEVISIÓN ESPAÑOLA)

Last edited:
Iñaki was a sportsman, of a minority sport, but as every sportsman his sports career was going to finish, and later? Obviously at first people did not thought about it, and then he had a good image and the people did not care much.

I agree with what you say, but I was only talking about Inaki's public image during his sports career and when he married Cristina, not afterwards.

donnaK Even if she didn't become the most prime time news anchor at that time, she would still have a much better and lasting professional career than a handball star.
I did not try to downplay Letizia's career, not at all. I am sure she would have gotten to the top of her profession without Felipe, but since the rumour about the specific time when she got the job is out there, I mentioned it. Even if it was true, I would not expect anyone from TVE to admit :cool: Despite all the critizism, there are still media outlets that are courting the royals and doing some favours, hence the amount of events and awards that is devoted to them ;)

Back to Inaki - it all went downhill from AFTER his career what could have been avoided with a bit of common sense, that is the sad part.

Living in Ireland I am not very au-fait as to how the Spanish press or people have felt about Inaki, Letizia or Jaime.

However, I think that you make an interesting point. If, as you say, it had been Jaime or Letizia (whom the press appear to criticise a lot) the anger would have been great but with it would come the attitude "sure, what do you expect". ?

With Inaki it may be a case of - great anger and great disappointment. ? That might be harder for the Royal Family to deal with, if Inaki is guilty and is found to be so.
At this stage I am still thinking "innocent until proven guilty".

I doubt Spaniards would equate opinion based frivolous and superficial criticism (fashion, cosmetic, family relation and etc) on Jaime and Letizia to embezzling public money accused by the judge on Inaki. Anyone in the family did what Inaki had done would have caused huge anger and disappointment in Spain right now IMO, the more they are close to the throne, the more damage would be, if Sofia or Letizia did what Inaki had done, very likely it would bring down the monarchy since one is the queen, the other is the future queen. Cristina is far from the throne, what Inaki had done did cause damage to the monarchy, but not enough to bring it down in the near or mid term, nobody knows what is going to happen in the long term anyway.

It said in the media Prince Felipe had held many meetings and dinners with the politicians and journalists the last few months regarding Inaki's business problems, all of them told him to get rid of Inaki (and Cristina too) sooner than later. Between Sofia's sympathy for the couple and JC's hesitation on punishing his own daughter might bring further damage to the monarchy IMO. I don't know how long the media would widely complain about that Inaki still enjoys the security protection of the State (that costs much more money from the tax payers than Cristina's salary from her father) and used them to scold the paparazzi.

Last edited:
I have looked back through this thread, and what I am about to say has apparently not yet been posted, so here goes!

When I was much younger, there was the most tremendous scandal that engulfed the Dutch Royal Family. Actually, to be strictly accurate, there were a whole series of scandals. These all involved Prince Berhard. There were claims of commecial bribery, illegitimate children, even alleged SS membership. Although I was quite young at the time, I can remember that even in England people were quite shocked. A Dutch couple who were our neighbours - and I should say quite sensible and non-sensationalist people - told us that they feared that it would prove to be a body-blow for the Dutch Monarchy. Especially when most - if not all of the allegations - proved to be true....

Yet look what happened. Nothing. Or rather, no body-blow was dealt to the monarchy in the Netherlands, which seems to have gone on from strength to strength... I expect that there are even members of TRF here who have not heard of all the troubles engulfing the Dutch Royal Family back in the 1970's....

And, IMHO, I suspect that this will be the case here. For a start, we don't know how the criminal aspect will 'pan out' - it's innocent until proved guilty, I presume. And then, even if the worst comes to the worst, it is NOT the monarch at fault, and so I expect that things will return to an even keel and possibly reasonably quickly.

Only my thoughts,

Alex

Re: The removal of Inaki's figure from the royal section of the wax museum - would the decision to do so have been made solely by the person in charge of the museum or has it been instigated on the order or advice of King Juan Carlos. ?

Also, thanks to everyone who made replies to my previous post. :flowers:

The Museum of Wax of Madrid is a little private museum, the wax figures are very bad, it is not Madame Tussauds...it is not an important museum.
The owner only wants to obtain advertising and does this type of things, and calls for the press and creates absurd spectacles. When the divorce, also he did similar things with Jaime de Marichalar's sculpture.

The Museum of Wax of Madrid is a little private museum, the wax figures are very bad, it is not Madame Tussauds...it is not an important museum.
The owner only wants to obtain advertising and does this type of things, and calls for the press and creates absurd spectacles. When the divorce, also he did similar things with Jaime de Marichalar's sculpture.

Very interesting. He is a bit of a show-man. Thanks, lula. :flowers:

Iñaki is not the reason of the crisis, but actions as his and that of his collaborators, they are also in the reasons of the crisis. The economic crisis has many causes. But between these reasons, it is that the politicians were squandering the public money (often for political and economic interests, and not of the citizens), that some of them were corrupt and were prospering with part of this public money and that there was tax evasion.

Iñaki and his partners gained million Euros in public money, and great part of that money it was not even invested in the projects, they did not even benefit the citizens ... part of this money went to their accounts to pay their luxuries. If these millions had been invested in serious projects, if this money had been managed well, it would have helped to create wealth or to create jobs.
I hope justice is served and the guilty parties are punished.

However, has Iñaki ben indicted? I thought he has yet to have a hearing. Is this how it works in Spain - guilty until proven innocent?

I dont know if its true but I read the the figure changed clothes - from suit to a handball dress - and was put in the sports section.:p

I agree with you chuchu, totally. I am disappointed to see how many people in several forums have already passed sentence over him. But, to my surprise, he hasn´t even been enquired in a court of law, in front of judge and jury.

I can only say that the King's reaction and message is a massive indicator of what is to come resp. of what the SRF already knows (most likely for a very long time, when they cut him from Noos and sent him to the US, hoping the issue would be dead and buried once and for all). IF there was any chance Inaki was innocent, the reaction of the SRF would have been different.

And I dont know what will be worse, that he will be convicted because of proven wrongdoing or that he will get off lightly - financial penalty or probation - because of the main guilt being "only" morally or ethically. In this case people will say, oh, he got away because of who he is what will fall back on the SRF, big time.

This man is doomed. If he is guilty or if he is innocent.
Unless another scandal comes up to take the mind off the very dire European economic crisis.

I just feel sorry for the king.All his longtime work is now threatened by this scandal and I just wish for overcoming this soon.

Last edited:
Before there were only press reports, now the information is based on the judicial investigation that is public. Contracts, invoices, emails, letters, finance documentation... with all that information it is impossible for the press or people not to judge.

I dont know if its true but I read the the figure changed clothes - from suit to a handball dress - and was put in the sports section.:p
Yes, Duke, I also heard somewhere that he was put in the sport's section together with Rafa Nadal!

Infanta Cristina won 571,000 euros in three years with the family company Aizoon

La Infanta Cristina invirti en Aizoon 1.500 euros y gan 571.000 | España | elmundo.es

:whistling::whistling::whistling: Are they backing off Cristina because of her royal status ... I think she should at least be questioned as a witness, hopefully JC meant what he said "everybody is equal in front of justice".

The last thing people will believe is that Cristina is a dumb housewife who is convinced that money grows on trees or multiplies like rabbits.

:whistling::whistling::whistling: Are they backing off Cristina because of her royal status ... I think she should at least be questioned as a witness, hopefully JC meant what he said "everybody is equal in front of justice".

The last thing people will believe is that Cristina is a dumb housewife who is convinced that money grows on trees or multiplies like rabbits.

Duke, look at this...

Un abogado denuncia a la Infanta Cristina ante la Fiscalía General por las actividades de Aizoon

I see with a lot of worry the situation of the SRF. I think the more people start digging and blaming this one and that one, the more dirt (true or untrue) will accumulate the more perilous it gets. So far, it´s Iñaki and Cristina. Who will be next.? People should really think if they want to create a situation where there will be no return for nobody.
I´m not saying that if there is guilt there shouldn´t be punishment. But we are not talking of ordinary people. Their links to the Queen and King are extremely close.
I remember when there was that awful scandal with princess Margaret, how many steps were taken to preserve her (and thus the Queen)and people only found out many many years later. And believe me that was a very serious thing.
Are you Spaniards really keen to see your Royal Family desintegrate before your
eyes.? Are you ready to face the consequences? To pay the price.?
I´m very scared of this situation. I am a sensitive and even if you don´t believe in such things, please I beg of you don´t let a frontier br crossed from where there will be no return.

I see with a lot of worry the situation of the SRF. I think the more people start digging and blaming this one and that one, the more dirt (true or untrue) will accumulate the more perilous it gets. So far, it´s Iñaki and Cristina. Who will be next.? People should really think if they want to create a situation where there will be no return for nobody.
I´m not saying that if there is guilt there shouldn´t be punishment. But we are not talking of ordinary people. Their links to the Queen and King are extremely close.
So you want people stop "digging" into Inaki`s dirty business and let him do whatever he pleases? Interesting opinion :whistling: Do you think that Inaki and Cristina should be forgiven because of who they are? Well, I hope I live in a society where justice is equal for everyone (yes, King`s relatives too). If Inaki and Cristina did someting against the law and if there is enough evidence, I hope they will be punished.

Who will be next? Again, I don`t understand. As far as I know, the Urgandarins are the only members of the family associated with criminal (or at least unethical) activity. The Princes and Infanta Elena have a good reputation which isn`t harmed by the scandal. Even if Inaki was convicted and sent to jail, it wouldn`t ruin the royal family. It would be a scandal, but the Urdandarins aren`t that important. The only really important people for the institution are the Princes. Their credibility, their reputation, their hard work.

Are you Spaniards really keen to see your Royal Family desintegrate before your
eyes.? Are you ready to face the consequences? To pay the price.?
I´m very scared of this situation. I am a sensitive and even if you don´t believe in such things, please I beg of you don´t let a frontier br crossed from where there will be no return.

Carminha, I really think that fortunately our Royal family is not going to desintegrate because of this scandal. This scandal affects Iñaki Urdangarín and also Infanta Cristina as his wife. There's always been non-monarchists in Spain but this situation has been very well managed by Casa Real. The King's reaction taking distance from suspicious and non exemplary behaviours has been very effective. People liked the King's reaction, what he said in Christmas Eve's speech saying that justice have to be equal for all Spaniards and look at the reaction of the members of Parliament: they all support the King. So, I think the situation is not a real risk for the future of Monarchy.

But I think it's a risk for the future of Cristina and Iñaki's family. This week there's a Spanish magazine claiming that Queen Sofia, cries a lot in private because of the situation. Well, obviously, as a mother and grandmother, she sees this scandal puts in great danger her daughter's reputation and the work she has done for decades. Which mother is not going to be worried for her children?

These last years Prince Felipe has worked a lot in order to have a more important role. Here, in Spain, there are many people that define themselves as "juancarlistas" (Juan Carlos supporter's), more than monarchists themselves. And that's the great challenge of Prince Felipe and the real "risk" (if it can be considered a risk) to convince this people that he can make also a good work and that he is the perfect alternative after his father... There are still many sceptics...

The Prince and his wife are not strong figures.
I have read many people who are Spanish and cannot stand either one.
May I be entirely wrong in what I said, previously.

This discussion is turning into an arguement & veering off topic.Please note this is a thread on Inaki's former business investigated in a corruption case any further posts which are off topic or speculative will be deleted.

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom