The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal Family of Spain > Infanta Cristina, Iñaki Urdangarín and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-17-2014, 09:43 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terri Terri View Post
What if the new King Felipe strips Christina and her husband of the duke and duchess title (especially if they are found liable or guilty)? Can that happen?

I think it's possible to make that happen.

Old 06-17-2014, 10:20 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by lula View Post
Not exactly Duke, Prince Felipe has clearly distanced, and now the situation changes a lot.

While Juan Carlos was king, Infanta Cristina was legal member of the Royal Family. Though she was away from the official activities, she continued to enjoy the privileges and protection of being officially Royal Family.

When her brother becomes King, she will no longer be Royal Family, and will become an ordinary citizen. No privileges, no special protection. The Royal House and the Government are no longer responsible for her.
I had no idea - I'll bet Cristina was not happy to hear about the abdication.

Does she still get bodyguards?

Old 06-17-2014, 10:23 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieGiraffe View Post
I had no idea - I'll bet Cristina was not happy to hear about the abdication.

Does she still get bodyguards?
I would imagine that if the bodyguards have been provided by the government that will no longer be available for her. I would imagine all future security would have to be privately funded.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 06-17-2014, 10:29 PM
Royal Highness

I don't know.

The Sisters of King Juan Carlos have bodyguards?
Old 06-18-2014, 03:33 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Not exactly Duke, Prince Felipe has clearly distanced, and now the situation changes a lot.

While Juan Carlos was king, Infanta Cristina was legal member of the Royal Family. Though she was away from the official activities, she continued to enjoy the privileges and protection of being officially Royal Family.

When her brother becomes King, she will no longer be Royal Family, and will become an ordinary citizen. No privileges, no special protection. The Royal House and the Government are no longer responsible for her.
If Cristina walks Free as a private Person it will Look worse imo. She Remains the sister of the King and the daughter of the Old Kings and Even though she is no Official member of the srf any longer, People will assume that she is still Protected and that the Family has had a hand in her Not being punished. And Felipe is now the Head of this Family.
Old 06-18-2014, 03:55 AM
Imperial Majesty

Yes even in Geneva Infanta Cristina and her family have bodyguards paid by the Spanish government. Will have to be the government who values ​​the real need for such protection, and how long they will keep it.

I think Felipe's position has been clear ... and probably, now that the law allows him agreater distance, it will be more clear. Messages from the palace will be strong and constant to show where they stand, and prevent the case splattering them.

The family tie can not be broken, that's impossible... but the message is clear and they will do their best to pass it to people.
Old 06-18-2014, 04:01 AM
Heir Apparent

I feel there is some confusion in this thread. The King, and the King alone, is inviolable. The ministers are responsible.

The King's children, as successors to the throne, understandably are under a sort of "spin-off ministerial responsibility" but they are NOT inviolable. They can be investigated, they can be prosecuted, they can be convicted. The King abdicating or not abdicating changes nothing to the position of Infanta Doña Cristina. As we all have seen with our own eyes, the Infanta could already be investigated and heared, while she was a member of the Casa Real. So all stories about Doña Cristina being immune because she is a member of the Casa Real can all be directed to fantasialand.

Old 06-18-2014, 04:31 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

I don't see much confusion about that, it is clear that Crisitna and Inaki aren't inviolable. Some posters perhaps fear that will be a case of class justice.

About the protection: I don't think protection is a priviledge but a right. As a member of the royal family and sister of the king, Cristina and family (and others) sadly are are surrounded by security risks and despite the couple's financial mess, they & their children still have a right to be kept safe.
Old 06-18-2014, 04:51 AM
Imperial Majesty

Marengo, in 14 hours she will not be part of the Royal Family, therefore the risks are also much lower.

I think that the government will give a transition time, but as she no longer hold any official position, security will be removed in the future. Keeping her bodyguards in Washington and Switzerland has cost good money to the Spaniards.
Old 06-18-2014, 05:34 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

No official member of the RF indeed, but a member of the royal family nontheless. To kidnap or kill a sister of the king -regardless her official role- is still a possibility for certain terrorist groups or for common criminals. It is up to the spanish state however to calculate the security risks and take appropriate measures. Announcing that she will be unprotected from now on isn't wise from a security perspective, but perhaps a clever political move. Since ETA has been pacified for now I think that the biggest threat has been reduced. I am sure that there will be some security measures around her and her family though, there are other ways to protect people without having them followed by bodyguards the whole day.

In the end Cristina didnt ask to be born as a member of the rf. Being the sister of the king creates some risks. The spanish state has the duty to protect her and her family's safety, no matter what her private behavior has been. And as I said, there are other ways to create some safety, without being followed by bodyguards.In my own country I can't imagine that prince Constantijn or princess Irene get 24h protection either, but there will be some safety measures around them.
Old 06-18-2014, 06:03 AM
Imperial Majesty

Marengo, in Spain the sisters of King Juan Carlos, have not lived with much security, is normal to see them walk around without bodyguards.

Infanta Cristina now lives in Switzerland, a safe country and where she is anonymous ... the change will be gradual, but the government will not long be able to justify the extra salary is being paid to the police to protect her there.
Old 06-18-2014, 06:10 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:

Absolutely right, it is a huge difference then.
BYe Bine
Old 06-23-2014, 03:28 AM
Majesty

i have just seen in elmundo.es that cristina will also be processed for money laundering and cooperation in two tax offenses. the following links reproduce the information, elmundo.es has made the information in that link available to subscribers only (understandably)

http://www.bolsamania.com/noticias-a...623073216.html
http://www.canalsur.es/noticias/espa...on/405893.html
http://www.milenio.com/internacional...322167986.html

the final decision should be made early this week according to those articles. they mention a total of approximately 11 years of prison. however, iñaki can auto-blame himself and exonerate cristina.

the fact that this news comes now, just days after her brother took the kingdom over from her father, makes me think that this was at least one, if not the most important, reason why juan carlos abdicated. it looks to me like the royal house told the judge "just wait a minute until the new king arrives" who is, fortunately enough for the royal house, safely out of this whole mess...
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 06-23-2014, 04:31 AM
Imperial Majesty

Actually in the last two months it was known that this was going to happen at any time.
Old 06-23-2014, 05:03 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
[QUOTE=carlota;1679405
the final decision should be made early this week according to those articles. they mention a total of approximately 11 years of prison. however, iñaki can auto-blame himself and exonerate cristina.[/QUOTE]

If this is the case, I sincerely hope that Inaki would man up and take the full blame so that their children do not lose both parents to the prison system. Whether or not Cristina goes to prison, this is something that will be on her head for the rest of her life. Her children, however, are completely innocent and should not be made to suffer for this.

Just my opinion of course.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 06-23-2014, 06:25 AM
Imperial Majesty

Reports indicate that Infanta Cristina, sister of Spain's King Felipe, will be summonsed to court this week to face charges of money laundering and cooperation in the fiscal crimes allegedly committed by her husband, Iñaki Urdangarin, for which she could face up to 11 years in prison...
... in March she made an extraordinarily forgetful appearance in which she replied "I don't know" some 182 times during her six and a half hours in the stand, used the phrase "I don't remember" on 55 occasions, and said "I don't know anything about that" some 52 times.
The princess also replied "No" to the question "Did you know that?" on numerous occasions.
King's sister faces 11 years for tax fraud - The Local
Old 06-23-2014, 07:25 AM
Heir Apparent

In March for her forgetful appearance , she was prepared by coaches !
Old 06-23-2014, 11:10 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Actually in the last two months it was known that this was going to happen at any time.
Yes, but I bet JC was tipped off as to when exactly this would happen, the strength of the evidence, and the intent of the prosecution, regarding possibility of pleas, etc.

From the time I heard of abdication I wondered when the other shoe was going to drop in the House of Bourbon, and now I believe that this is that other shoe. A shoe we all knew about, at least there are no others.. hopefully.

I agree that Inaki should man up and place all blame on himself, if only to give some protection to his four children, who need at least one parent around. But let's see what honor there is among... family.
Old 06-23-2014, 11:34 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

If Inaki puts all the blame on him, people will still be angry about the Infanta walking free despite her likely involvement.
Old 06-23-2014, 11:41 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
If Inaki puts all the blame on him, people will still be angry about the Infanta walking free despite her likely involvement.
Yes, and Cristina should have thought about her children before she messed up with her husband's business. If Cristina is guilty, she should also go to jail. Their children have it much better than many other children at the same situation, at least they have money and loving families around them.

Closed Thread

Tags
corruption, iñaki urdangarín, infanta cristina, scandal