Iñaki, Cristina and the NOOS Corruption Investigation Part 1 (2011-2014)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well she knows now at least what she has done.
Loosing her freedom, her rights to the succession, for sure also her title infanta/duquesa and her children.
The price she has to pay!!

It is quite clear that they did it all together
So no succession rights, no title and no children would be an appropriate judgement.
Mrs. Borbon and mr. Urdangarain have to pay the same price as any other citizen

Last edited by a moderator:
She has been really lucky that the decision was public today. Today is celebrated "El Gordo", the Christmas lottery, and any news is secondary.

We can not do preconceptions, will have to wait to trial, possibly late next year to know what will happen.

Under current Spanish law, the infanta is the only one who can give up her rights of succession and must be a personal decision... by the time she's been deaf to the possible requests that have been done from the Royal House and from the press. We'll see where her stubbornness and selfishness goes.

I think that at least Cristina will walk free... Probably the blame will fall all on Inaki...

A journalist from the English language version of El Pais is talking about the case on RTE Radio 1!

Normally the Irish media don't report on royalty unless its regarding the Windsors or Grimaldis.

Is there a different type of sentencing in Spain for crimes [1] against private organizations, [2] against federal organizations [3] against private citizens [4] against charity organizations within state [5] against charity crossing state borders? I have been trying to locate statutes on Internet. I know that there is a slight difference here in America as crossing state lines and using charity monies for personal use is quite harsh, and should be.

Spanish king's sister, Princess Cristina, becomes first member of royal family to stand trial following tax fraud charges over her husband's alleged embezzlement of public funds | Daily Mail Online
The Spanish king's sister, Cristina, will become the first member of the royal family ever to stand in the dock after a judge ordered her to stand trial for alleged tax fraud.

The historic decision stemmed from four years of investigations that plunged the royal family into crisis and contributed to the abdication of King Juan Carlos in June.

A court on the island of Majorca ordered Cristina, 49, to stand trial on two counts of accessory to tax fraud in connection with her husband's business affairs, in a written ruling seen by AFP.

She is accused of cooperating in tax evasion by her husband, the former Olympic handball player Inaki Urdangarin.

He is accused of embezzling and laundering millions of euros in public funds.

Well, 17,6 million euros is a lot of money to come up with in a few days. I doubt that they have that amount of money ready to go.

I'm glad she's going to stand trial for her actions. Although I do worry about the kids. Hopefully the rest of Cristina's family and Inaki's family are standing with the kids and keeping them happy.

It is such a pet peeve of mine that so many of these English-speaking newspapers/magazines keep referring to her as Princess. If they're afraid of people not understanding the Infanta title (which takes a sentence to explain) then they should her her Ducal title.

Does Cristina have to base herself in Spain or can she fly in and out for the trial?

I wonder if Felipe has the power to pardon her. (And, if he does, would he do it?)

I wonder if Felipe has the power to pardon her. (And, if he does, would he do it?)

I wouldn't think so during an on-going trial/investigation. After, if she is found guilty on a count or two, I doubt it would be to his advantage to pardon her. I know she is his sister, but I bet privately he would like to ring both Cristina and Inaki's neck. If he was smart, he would just let the law take it's course otherwise he would also look corrupt. Through all this, I feel for the children. They must be so very confused.

I agree Winnie, I'm not sure King Felipe does have such a power to pardon and even if he did, I should think it would be wise not to evoke it if his sister were to be found guilty. Furthermore, I think it would be in his best interests to stay well away from the whole sorry story.

I must say that I am quite surprised that things have taken this turn. Whatever the truth is I hope that a trial is concluded as speedily as possible. I feel very sad for the children and everyone concerned.

Until this is all over, I think it wise to maintain the view of "innocent until proven guilty", for the sake of the kids at least.

This news is not surprising at all, at least for me. There were many interest on having her on trial. Corruption is everywhere in Spain nowadays, almost every power stament is rotten by it. The judges simply don't want people getting the impression that those implied in corruption cases get ride of that easily.

It happened some weeks ago with famous singer Isabel Pantoja who was sent to jail for another very mediatic corruption trial, even though she could have avoid it.

Which doesn't mean Cristina doesn't deserve what she's getting, though. Had she been completely innocent, she wouldn't be going through all this.

I wouldn't think so during an on-going trial/investigation. After, if she is found guilty on a count or two, I doubt it would be to his advantage to pardon her. I know she is his sister, but I bet privately he would like to ring both Cristina and Inaki's neck. If he was smart, he would just let the law take it's course otherwise he would also look corrupt. Through all this, I feel for the children. They must be so very confused.

The King of Spain, like the President of United States, does possess the so-called "right of clemency" (Art. 62(i) of the Spanish constitution). However, as all actions of the King must be countersigned by the president of the government or another competent ministers, I assume he can't grant pardons without the government's approval.

This news is not surprising at all, at least for me. There were many interest on having her on trial. Corruption is everywhere in Spain nowadays, almost every power stament is rotten by it. The judges simply don't want people getting the impression that those implied in corruption cases get ride of that easily.

It happened some weeks ago with famous singer Isabel Pantoja who was sent to jail for another very mediatic corruption trial, even though she could have avoid it.

Which doesn't mean Cristina doesn't deserve what she's getting, though. Had she been completely innocent, she wouldn't be going through all this.

The news that the Infanta will have to stand trial is surprising to me not because of the nature of the alleged offense, or for who Cristina is, but rather because the state prosecutor had withdrawn charges against her. In most western countries , one cannot be criminally prosecuted if he/she is not indicted by the State. In fact, that sounds like a blatant violation of individual rights to me.

The King of Spain, like the President of United States, does possess the so-called "right of clemency" (Art. 62(i) of the Spanish constitution). However, as all actions of the King must be countersigned by the president of the government or another competent ministers, I assume he can't grant pardons without the government's approval.

You are correct about the power, but I was under the impression that a USA pardon could only be given after the court case was completely over and a verdict was passed, not now during an open case.

I personally have never been in favor of this year end pardon ability of the president, even though a legal gimmick. Just always seems so wrong to overturn the jury and judge on a whim of a few.

You are correct about the power, but I was under the impression that a USA pardon could only be given after the court case was completely over and a verdict was passed, not now during an open case.

You are right. The power of clemency can be used only after a conviction, both in the US and Spain.

The power of clemency can be used only after a conviction, both in the US and Spain.

In the U.S., at least, it is possible to pardon someone prior to a conviction -- this was ruled permissible by the Supreme Court in the 1866 Ex parte Garland case. The most famous instance of this is Ford's pardon of Nixon, who was never charged with a crime. George H. W. Bush also gave Caspar Weinberger a preemptive pardon.

I hope Felipe stays out of this whole mess and doesnt mention it during his Xmas speech. JC did and it only backfired.

In the U.S., at least, it is possible to pardon someone prior to a conviction -- this was ruled permissible by the Supreme Court in the 1866 Ex parte Garland case. The most famous instance of this is Ford's pardon of Nixon, who was never charged with a crime. George H. W. Bush also gave Caspar Weinberger a preemptive pardon.

Of course, here in the States, its a tradition too that the President pardons all the turkeys on Thanksgiving day. :D

In this case though, I don't think King Felipe would step in and pardon anyone that had been tried and convicted of a crime just because the person happened to be a relative. There would be too much backlash I think. Whatever the outcome, Inaki and Cristina will have to bear the court's decisions.

I hope Felipe stays out of this whole mess and doesnt mention it during his Xmas speech. JC did and it only backfired.

I agree 100%. Not the time or place for any comments on a serious case like this involving immediate family. I am sure, at the time of JC's speech last year, there was no way he would have imagine that his life would take such a drastic turn as it did in 2014. Often wonder about JC and Sofia. Shame how her life turned out.

Well I'll be watching the King's Christmas message and hoping he stays out of this mess as it looks like 2015 will be another explosive and damaging year for the younger sister of the King.

Government support for Spain’s scandal-plagued Princess Cristina has waned, with its new parliament spokesman saying she should consider taking herself out of the line of succession after being ordered to stand trial on tax fraud charges.
“Cristina should reflect on whether she should renounce her rights of succession,” said Rafael Hernando in an interview published on Sunday in newspaper El Mundo.
Spanish government drops support for Princess Cristina over tax fraud charges World news The Guardian

Government support wanes for scandal-hit Spanish royal - Independent.ie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom