Iñaki, Cristina and the NOOS Corruption Investigation Part 1 (2011-2014)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Duke, I believe that a deeper analysis is necessary. Precisely the superficial analyses have gone to considering as exemplary, those that were not.

First, I believe that the infanta Cristina has taken advantage of the circumstances. She was the third one in the succession, which had more freedom and the problems that she could cause were secondary. She went to live far from the family, to another city... so in these circumstances probably when her parents saw her they were consenting her more. We are speaking of a few years in which the House of the King had to handle the wedding of the Prince and the impact of Letizia's arrival, and later the increasingly crisis of Elena's marriage... probably in that moment Cristina was appearing as the perfect daughter.

I also think that when they forced Urdangarín to leave Noos it was because there were rumors of which the things were not done well, and probably it created tensions. And I think that the king was ingenuous on having thought that the infanta and Urdangarín were telling the truth about his business, because if really he knew the dimension of this case, he would have separated them before.

About Letizia. When the wedding was announced, the infanta Cristina was the person who for nearness was going to advise Letizia, but it seems that the two had different visions of the things, and who ended up by helping the princess was Cristina de Borbón - Dos Sicilias. I believe that the infanta wanted that Letizia was like she ... and Letizia saw that eventually it was going to harm her, because she was a plebeian newcomer to the Monarchy and not an infanta of birth. The engament ring was like that of Cristina, she dressed Armani's trouser suit in her engament as Cristina (and she was criticized because of it), the designer of her wedding dress was the one that Cristina had rejected... I think Letizia was aware of the reality and I believe that the infanta never excused it to her.

Members of a monarchy, as anyone with money and power, live in their particular world... and often they do not see what exists around and when someone shows it to them, it is difficult to accept it. Only that explains Urdangarín and the Infanta thought they could act unethically and in the end all would be hidden and they will live happily with the money.

I think in that sense Princess Letizia has been very good for the prince, but probably uncomfortable at times for other family members. There are commoners that when they come to a Royal Family completely disconnected from their previous life... Princess Letizia is not, she wants to remain connected to the real world ... her family is a normal family and is still very important in her life, her friends remain as before the wedding... if anyone could see the consequences of some things was her, because first she was just arrived and saw the things from the outside and then had a clear vision of the real world.

Originally Posted by Carminha Stalker
If they are still investigating him, it has taken them YEARS.....

... and it probably will take them a few more years, meaning the topic will not settle and continue to harm the institution.

For the first time, El Mundo mentions Infanta Cristina together with her husband:

The company of the Infanta and Urdangarin fabricated invoices
http://www.elmundo.es/elmundo/2011/12/15/espana/1323943858.html

Nobody in Spain will believe that Cristina had no clue of hubby's business.

No way she can participate in the next events, eg Opening of Xth Legislature, that would be shameful.

... and it probably will take them a few more years, meaning the topic will not settle and continue to harm the institution.

I disagree. I think within a few short months Iñaki will be charged. I have mentioned before that the Spanish justice moves slowly but implacably. This investigation started in 2006 - there is a reason why "so many leaks" are finally reaching the papers. The evidence is there to charge him ....and it won't come as a shock to the nation. Lets say that it's being "announced"

I agree with you however that few Spaniards believe in Cristina's innocence. It's a bit hard to swallow that an intelligent woman with a political science degree from a Madrid public university, didn't know where money was coming from to buy such expensive, and extensive, real estate portfolio. Spaniards are not idiots.

Last edited:
I didn`t have time to follow the scandal, so could someone tell me if there was any official response of the Zarzuela? I`ve read that Inaki had been banned from royal activities, is it official? I wonder if Cristina will be banned too, it seems that people don`t believe in her innocence.

I feel sorry for the SRF, the Kings and the Princes don`t deserve this... It`s said that every family has its black sheep, now we know who the black sheep of the SRF is.

The House of the King advised Urdangarin to leave Noos

A legal external adviser to Zarzuela recommended to the duke of Palma to choose to look for a professional activity as an employee, to being possible out of Spain

La Casa del Rey aconsej a Urdangarin desvincularse de Noos - ABC.es

Google Traductor

What good did they think getting him out of Spain was going to do? If they advised him to leave his job at the time then they must have known not all of Inaki's activities were entirely above board, and that he'd eventually be held to account no matter where he was living.

What good did they think getting him out of Spain was going to do? If they advised him to leave his job at the time then they must have known not all of Inaki's activities were entirely above board, and that he'd eventually be held to account no matter where he was living.

Iñaki liked the business, probably out of Spain he was going to have more freedom and to cause fewer problems. On the other hand, if in some moment there was some problem, the children would be more protected out of Spain.

Iñaki liked the business, probably out of Spain he was going to have more freedom and to cause fewer problems. On the other hand, if in some moment there was some problem, the children would be more protected out of Spain.

And probably thinking than the further away, the easier to deal with the issue. There is no win/lose for the SRF in this affair - there is only a somewhat damage limitation to stop affecting the rest of the RF.

Exit Duke of Lugo , perhaps Exit Duke of Palma, Welcome Duke of Alba !

Just noticed this post. Certainly you were joking in your welcoming of the Duke of Alba? There is a Duchess heading the House of Alba - Cayetana Fitz-James Stuart - her husband is totally irrelevant in Spain except for women magazines.

Mind you, the Alba's agricultural holdings are finally being scrutinised :D

And probably thinking than the further away, the easier to deal with the issue. There is no win/lose for the SRF in this affair - there is only a somewhat damage limitation to stop affecting the rest of the RF.

The "further away" thing is the part that makes no sense to me. Maybe a hundred, or even fifty years ago the distance would have acted as somewhat of a buffer from these troubles, but geographical distance means nothing in this age of easy air travel, 24 hour news and especially the internet. It looks very bad for the Spanish royal household that one of their representatives "suggested" Inaki leave the country as it shows they were aware there was a major problem years ago and, at the very least, weren't proactive in dealing with the situation. Seen in the worst light it looks like they scrambled to hush things up and tried to make the problem go away, for all their talk now about transparency and respect for the legal process.

Although I agree with posts that suggest SRF knew about the incident long before and that was the reason Dukes of Palma were sent away, and that SRF should have dealt with the problem long ago, can we possibly think of any other way Juan Carlos would have behaved, frankly? Or any other person in the position of power? I don't think so. I don't support the way things were handled, I'm just suggesting any other person would have done the same. What did you expect?

Charlotte_Aster said:
Although I agree with posts that suggest SRF knew about the incident long before and that was the reason Dukes of Palma were sent away, and that SRF should have dealt with the problem long ago, can we possibly think of any other way Juan Carlos would have behaved, frankly? Or any other person in the position of power? I don't think so. I don't support the way things were handled, I'm just suggesting any other person would have done the same. What did you expect?

Sometimes it's hard to deal with things right away. Tempers and tantrums fly and the one who is committing the crime, act, whatever will use whatever means to try to deflect the blow, even using children as weapons to cover up the wrong. So you ignore the problem, you excuse the problem, but you never address the problem. Eventually secrets come out and sometimes the wrong is 10 times worse than when you initially found out there was a problem.

The Noos Institute was ostensibly a non-profit association. When in the Balearic parliament there was a question about a contract of Noos, the House of the King saw that there was something wrong and sends a lawyer to see what this association is doing. There they discover they are not doing non-profit activities, but in part are benefiting and then forced Urdangarín to leave Noos.

If Iñaki liked business and was committed to them, outside of Spain, where he did not have influence, would be less dangerous. He started working at a company in late 2006 and traveled to the U.S.A. often, until 2009 they did not decide to move.

At that time, 2006, Noos performances could be doubtful, but then to be able to know and show that behind it was illegal, there is a great distance. Apparently it was a non-profit Institute and the contracts were legal. The current situation comes because some of those contracts were made with some politicians who are now being tried for corruption. Then the judge has seized Noos documentation and that's how everything has been discovered. Apparently everything was within the law, only a long and detailed investigation can uncover what really lies behind it.

Those were years of economic boom in which many politicians and businessmen led laws to the limit to benefit, years later, that has ended in many cases of alleged corruption.

Alondra, I know I was just joking because I read that they put off the waxes the Dukes of Lugo and Palma and saw Hola’s front-page the Duchess and her brand new husband. Regards .

Inaki's former business investigated in a corruption case

Of course people sometimes exaggerate, and children are the only innocents in this story.

But if there is something that people can not forgive is that someone who has all privileges steal public money. Spain is very much affected by the crisis, there are 5 million unemployed,wages are down, there are social cuts... people are very angry, and this whole case has a further negative impact in the current situation.

I agree 100% with lula. Spain's situation is the worst in decades. The only thing that the Royals or family related to are asked for is to be honest and exemplary people. Nothing else. They have plenty of privileges that the rest of us will never enjoy so the least they can do is behaving in an exemplary way. Of course, I am really sorry for the children, but just for the children that are the innocent victims of all this situation. Adults (including infanta Cristina) knew it and they allowed this behaviour. Because Cristina knew who she was marrying and before the marriage he had no palace or several properties. He has got rich just because he's married to a royal. What people ask for is simple justice. As the King said "justice has to be equal for everyone" (including his son-in-law).

I really do not want to be in their skin at the moment. But: they have done a severe mistake and now they have to pay for it. The King´s speech must have been another nail in their coffin.
BYe Bine

I agree 100% with lula. Spain's situation is the worst in decades. The only thing that the Royals or family related to are asked for is to be honest and exemplary people. Nothing else. They have plenty of privileges that the rest of us will never enjoy so the least they can do is behaving in an exemplary way. Of course, I am really sorry for the children, but just for the children that are the innocent victims of all this situation. Adults (including infanta Cristina) knew it and they allowed this behaviour. Because Cristina knew who she was marrying and before the marriage he had no palace or several properties. He has got rich just because he's married to a royal. What people ask for is simple justice. As the King said "justice has to be equal for everyone" (including his son-in-law).
I agree 100% with you both. I feel really sorry for the kids (I love those kids!), but if Iñaki is guilty (and each day I´m more certain that he is) and Cristina knew it (and I agree with you that she knew) they have to pay for it.
The monarchy´s image is so bad nowadays and that´s their fault, so if the King wants to keep his good image, he should be strict in this matter, even if it´s too hard for him.
I know this is hard to understand, but I think Spanish people won´t forgive this easily, and I think you can´t ask them to do it either.

Being from a country where Republican government members have been accused and convicted of innimaginable frauds, I´m surprised that there isn´t a tape where iñaki appears in an embarassing transaction or even telephone converstaions that were taped. These things are very common for us to see and even so, many are not convicted.
I can´t believe that Spain which is after all in the first wold doesn´t have that type of thing.

Being from a country where Republican government members have been accused and convicted of innimaginable frauds, I´m surprised that there isn´t a tape where iñaki appears in an embarassing transaction or even telephone converstaions that were taped. These things are very common for us to see and even so, many are not convicted.
I can´t believe that Spain which is after all in the first wold doesn´t have that type of thing.
I am sure this kind of evidence you talk about exists. The problem is that, in Spain, the media are always really protective with the monarchy. Call it censorship, call it whatever you want to, but there's no way we'll ever know everything that's happened. The king and his family are untouchable, that's the truth, and now there's much noise but in six months everything will be forgotten, unfortunately. And we've known about this because it happened to an in-law, if it had happened to some of His Majesty's children, we would never have known. I think there's a lot of secretism surrounding the SRF, many things we are not allowed to know (and of course, there are tapes, and pictures and who knows, but unfortunately, we'll never see them!)

KLEIO: If that is so, then why all this rigmarole? A person accused of wrongdoing has to be proven guilty. There have been cases of important people here (such as a minister of state) who was accused and was innocent.
From what I have read in several Spanish blogs, I don´t see any protection whatsoever Even though his wife belongs to the Royal Family..But it is an awful , malicious and cruel thing to write, talk and denounce a person´s guilt if either:you can´t judge the person or else you can´t show the proof.
proofs (such as in a tape )for instance.

KLEIO: If that is so, then why all this rigmarole? A person accused of wrongdoing has to be proven guilty. There have been cases of important people here (such as a minister of state) who was accused and was innocent.
From what I have read in several Spanish blogs, I don´t see any protection whatsoever Even though his wife belongs to the Royal Family..But it is an awful , malicious and cruel thing to write, talk and denounce a person´s guilt if either:you can´t judge the person or else you can´t show the proof.
proofs (such as in a tape )for instance.

Sorry, Carminha, I didn't express myself correctly. What I tried to express is that about everything related to the monarchy we just know "the tip of the iceberg". Maybe not this time because we are talking about an in-law, not a real royal. It doesn't mean that they are going to condemn Iñaki being innocent, obviously not! But the problem is that Iñaki's businesses involved much people being investigated right now for fraud and that's the reason why we've known about it. And that's why most of people suspects they are probably guilty (not also Iñaki but also his partners) because the proofs that newspapers talk about (real proofs not invented) seem to be conclusive. You're right: people talk about this case and maybe you think Iñaki has no protection at all, but think that others involved in this have already been charged (Iñaki's partner has already been accused; he was a lecturer in the most prestigious school of economics in Barcelona and he has been removed from his job as a lecturer...) When I say Iñaki has "protection" I am talking about this kind of things...
I wouldn't like to be misunderstood... Excuse me if I was not clear.

How lucky you Spaniards are, when you have a King giving account of his earnings (and taxes).It is indeed history. We had a chap here (a Minister) who managed the feat of increasing his fortune 200% in two years. He was forced out, but so far we still are wondering how he did this miracle. Do you think Presidents (at least here in South America) give an account of what they do with the money they get?We pay one of the highest taxes in the world., by the way.
What I think it´s awful is reading some Spaniards wishing the worst possible things to happen to Iñaki´s family, even before he is condemned and accusing the Queen for having gone to Washington to visit her daughter and grandchildren. Or somebody forbidding the Infanta to bring her children over for Christmas.What crime are Juan, Pablo, Miguel and Irene accused of?

If convicted, the punishment for millions fraud will be 20 years.
I hardly believe that this marriage will survive this.
I think the Infanta will divorce in due time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom