Iñaki, Cristina and the NOOS Corruption Investigation Part 1 (2011-2014)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The King can not ignore it completely, he need to make a critical reference indirectly.

The king can not talk about crisis, cuts and millions of unemployed, ask for sacrifices, work... while the whole country knows that his son in law could have embezzled million of public money.

The king will say something because otherwise his speech will be totally ridiculous and lack credibility.

I am curious, my feeling tells me he will ignore it because its a private matter and Inaki hasnt even been charged at this stage. The Royal House said that it trusts in the judical system what means somebody is innocent until proven guilty.

If the SRF internally already knew Inaki was guilty and would be charged shortly, it was very unwise by the Queen to pose smiling with the smiling culprit and play happy family.

Last edited:
Here there are two problems the legal and the ethical.

Iñaki Urdangarín has signed contracts millionaires with public institutions, the justice will say if it is legal or not, but ethically a member of the Royal Family cannot do business, taking advantage of being the one who is and less to do it with public institutions.

Independently if the justice condemns him or not, Iñaki has acted badly and against the ethical procedure of the Royal Household.

Today the press has a meeting with the Head of the House of the King so probably we will have news.

Iñaki´s business investigated in a corruption case

Interesting article about the King being furious about the Queen's trip to Washington and the sugary picture in Hola that she herself authorized to be published
El 'caso Urdangarín' envenena las relaciones personales entre los miembros de la Familia Real - elConfidencial.com

via google translate:
The case is not only undermining Urdangarín image, prestige and credibility of the Crown. Also poisoned personal relationships between members of the Royal Family, in some cases already deteriorated in recent years. One of the recent disagreements have arisen following the Queen's trip to Washington on November 30, in the outbreak of the scandal over shady business of Iñaki Urdangarin, to show support for their son and daughter, the Infanta Cristina of Bourbon. The King, according to sources close to the royal family consulted by El Confidential, strongly opposed the trip because it broke its strategy of isolating the Duke of Palma pending resolution of their uncertain legal future. But Sofia ignored the objections of her husband and eventually moved to the U.S. capital.

The Royal House just announced that the Queen would move to New York on 29 and 30 November to chair the annual medal of the Queen Sofía Spanish Institute, see an exhibition of Joaquin Sorolla and attend a symposium on recent advances in Alzheimer's research. By then the storm had been unleashed family: Sofia was determined to take his official visit to New York to move ahead in a private visit to the nearby Washington, where his daughter, his son and four grandchildren since 2009. Don Juan Carlos, according to sources, disavowed the journey from the beginning because, if transcended public opinion, would ruin the plan designed by La Zarzuela after the outbreak of the Urdangarín: releasing the monarchical institution of private activities the Duke of Palma.

But what most angered the King was the full-color story of the Queen's visit to Washington by opening the cover of Hello! It can be seen in Sofia, Infanta Cristina Urdangarín and very smiling, upon leaving a restaurant in the U.S. federal capital. The Queen is not only not opposed to a photographer taking a picture of the three members of the royal family, but previously had authorized weekly publication of the photos, something that never happened in previous visits to the family home his daughter and her husband, located in the exclusive neighborhood of Chevy Chase. According to some sources, the king was informed of the subsequent development of the story, but before its publication in Spain, and his anger was huge.

The King, Queen and Urdangarín

The trouble with the law of the former international handball player who will most likely be called to testify as a defendant after the Christmas holidays, have cooled even more distant and in private relations between the Head of State and his wife. Don Juan Carlos had always shown a special affection toward Urdangarín, say the sources cited, but in recent years, especially following the first news reports about his alleged illicit enrichment, some of them uncovered by The confidentially, that appreciation has given way to a clear distance, much more evident since the torrent of leaks in the summary that the judge instructs José Castro is dragging it to a more committed and no Urdangarín himself, but also to the Crown. The Queen, however, remains intact and affection for his son does not share the king's strategy to distance the Duke of Palma.

Another victim Urdangarín side of the case, perhaps the hardest hit by the scandal, is the Prince of Asturias. At least in the medium to long term, depending on the time elapsed until Philip of Bourbon succeeded his father on the throne. The sources say that the relations of the heir to the throne and his wife, Letizia Ortiz, with his brother, formerly very close, have suffered a severe deterioration in the personal and institutional. The Princes of Asturias are aware that the damage is causing Urdangarín the monarchy may be irreversible, especially among young and disadvantaged strata of the population. And that school of thought, increasingly critical of the role of the monarchy, may backfire when the time comes to reign.

With all this gloomy news I doubt there's much festive cheer at Zarzuela or the Palma residence.

I feel very sorry for the children of the Duke & Duchess :sad:

The Royal House just announced that the Queen would move to New York on 29 and 30 November to chair the annual medal of the Queen Sofía Spanish Institute, see an exhibition of Joaquin Sorolla and attend a symposium on recent advances in Alzheimer's research. By then the storm had been unleashed family: Sofia was determined to take his official visit to New York to move ahead in a private visit to the nearby Washington, where his daughter, his son and four grandchildren since 2009. Don Juan Carlos, according to sources, disavowed the journey from the beginning because, if transcended public opinion, would ruin the plan designed by La Zarzuela after the outbreak of the Urdangarín: releasing the monarchical institution of private activities the Duke of Palma.

If this report is true I can understand the King's anger over Sophia authorizing the publication of the photos taken in DC, but I can't see his problem with the Queen merely going on a private visit to see her daughter and grandchildren. I understand that this is a family that has unique concerns, but at the end of the day they ARE family and surely sometimes that relationship has to take precedence even over their official roles as royals.

The problem is that she allowed the photo with Urdangarín and smiling happily... many people feel the cover of Hola as a mockery. If she had been photographed in the park with her grandchildren, she had not been criticized.

I think giving permission for the photos to be published was a bad idea, regardless of the outcome of the investigation. My impression from reading the posted article, though, (and certainly something could have been lost in translation), was that King Juan Carlos was against the visit itself, which seems harsh to me.

The Head of the House of the King announces in a meeting with the press that Iñaki Urdangarín will not take part in official acts while the investigation continue

Urgandarin no participar en ninguna actividad oficial de la Familia Real | España | elmundo.es

This is not looking very good.......will there be court process after the investigation? In the US, a citizen is indited typically after a jury deems there is enough evidence to proceed with charges that a crime was committed, then a trial would begin.

If this report is true I can understand the King's anger over Sophia authorizing the publication of the photos taken in DC, but I can't see his problem with the Queen merely going on a private visit to see her daughter and grandchildren. I understand that this is a family that has unique concerns, but at the end of the day they ARE family and surely sometimes that relationship has to take precedence even over their official roles as royals.

It was a private visit. I would wonder more if Queen Sofia did not visit Cristina and family since she was already in NYC.

The problem is that she allowed the photo with Urdangarín and smiling happily... many people feel the cover of Hola as a mockery. If she had been photographed in the park with her grandchildren, she had not been criticized.

Would they feel better if they were frowning? Seeing your family after not seeing them for a while is a joyous occasion.

Last edited by a moderator:
The rumor about illicit enrichment has been around for years, thatñs way they moved to Washington. I wonder how much Cristina knew. Was she not co-president of the Noos Institute?

I also think the Hola cover was not the best idea. It looks like they don´t care what´s going on.

The King can not ignore it completely, he need to make a critical reference indirectly.

The king can not talk about crisis, cuts and millions of unemployed, ask for sacrifices, work... while the whole country knows that his son in law could have embezzled million of public money.

The king will say something because otherwise his speech will be totally ridiculous and lack credibility.

HM King Don Juan Carlos did not ignore anything and ousted Urdangarin from all events both public and private of the Spanish Royal Family and more meassueres will be announced by the Palace later.I think it might very well cost Inaki his title as Duke of Palma...very well,so be it..

Urdangarins name will also be removed from the Casa Real website as well as from the Royal agenda...no halve meassures by the King.Good!

In other words,Inaki was "kicked on the street" by the King yesterday inspite of the poor appollogies by Inaki previously this past weekend.Juan Carlos doesn't take bull from anyone,least of all his own family members as they have a role model as well!HM is very much aware of that and is furious.In a statement issued by the Casa Real yesterday HM also said to open up the books on the finances of the Royal House in a bid to show,and I believe him,that the Spanish RF on itself is in no way connected with the allegations against Inaki Urdangerin.

Last edited:
In order to loose his title he should divorce the Infanta, I believe. He was given the title when he married.

Iñakis, apologies were pitiful since he was blaming the press for "damaging the image of the R. House". The press is only informing about what are his possible crimes of embezzlement.

In order to loose his title he should divorce the Infanta, I believe. He was given the title when he married.

Iñakis, apologies were pitiful since he was blaming the press for "damaging the image of the R. House". The press is only informing about what are his possible crimes of embezzlement.

HM The King granted him the title,and he can take that away again in a jiffy if he so pleases.

It would be wise for Christina to kick Inaki's ass too,yes,but then how far was she herself involved....She too will have to take a few steps from the pride and face reality,in shame....Purchasing real estate worth over 7 million Euro in a short period of time didn't go unnoticed to her either I think..It didn't to the Department of Justice,hence that is how the ball started rolling.....to put it mildly...Btw,7 million euro is about the annual apanage for the King and His House in Spain.With addtional costs on security etc etc ofcourse,but to give you a clear view on the excesses by Inaki,at least one of the excesses that is...And he was from such a fine family..grinning.....for whatever that's worth....as is proven again.....

Last edited:
I'm sorry to see that the Spanish Royal family's reputation could be seriously damaged by these allegations. Juan Carlos and Sofia decades of work rebuilding the monarchy and paving the way for a new democracy in Spain could be tarnished now. I'm also concerned that the Asturias' efforts will also be undermined too.:sad:

If you read some blogs in Spanish you´d be amazed at how rich ALL the family has become since JC is the king, how may of them are in charge of big companies. I ´m afraid hard times are coming for them.

Its no secret that JC is rich, a billionaire. Appearing low-key and demure IN PUBLIC has been a strategy of survival rather than a character trait. The SRF have always stood in strong contrast to other royal houses who love to show off their wealth for only one reason: The Spanish monarchy is by no means secure or established (like those in Denmark or Britain) and they simply wouldnt get away with it.

That doesnt mean that the family members dont do the same things BEHIND CLOSED DOORS that other royal families do IN PUBLIC, because they can afford it.

The SRF knew they had to be careful covering up their lavish lifestyle, holidays, living off private invitations, expensive hobbies etc etc etc because it could eventually cost them their throne. They are very good actors in that respect, pretending to be "busy" and "demure" in order to keep the public happy.

So far they were successful at it until Inaki came along and destroyed their longtime practised strategy. Felipe might be King one day, but a very restricted and scrutinized one, forced to strip naked if the public asks him too. The Inaki case is doing irreversable damage to the institution that will have impact on Felipe's reign, too bad, as he had been well instructed by his parents, understanding the necessity of a busy and demure attitude in public.

, forced to strip naked if the public asks him too.
:ROFLMAO: I'd pay to see that.
Speking of the future, I know QSofia is being criticized for doing what she did, but is there any critism towards the Princes of Asturias in Spain for their conduct?

Iñaki does not have a noble title. The king granted the title of Duchess of Palma to the infanta Cristina, Iñaki only uses it as her husband. Only there are two options in order that Iñaki loses the use of the title, that the infanta resigns it or the divorce.

At the moment the Prince and Princess of Asturias are away from this topic. The general opinion is that the prince is the most unfairly harmed by this story because he does his job seriously and this hurts his future.

About the princess opens up many questions. For years, yellow or ultra sectors of the press have attacked her, saying she was going to end the monarchy or they had poor family relationships because of her. With this case, many people wonder if there was any truth in these stories, or on the contrary, the princess was simply the most prudent and she saw reality more clearly.

Spokesman and legal advisor of Inaki Urdangarin, Mario Pascual Vives, poses at his lawyer's office

Getty Images - Buscar: ESP: Mario Pascual Vives Portrait Session#

What will be the next legal steps of justice for Inaki

About the princess opens up many questions. For years, yellow or ultra sectors of the press have attacked her, saying she was going to end the monarchy or they had poor family relationships because of her. With this case, many people wonder if there was any truth in these stories, or on the contrary, the princess was simply the most prudent and she saw reality more clearly.

Could well be that the Inaki case played a major part in the poor family relations, but why would Cristina's anger be directed at Letizia and not at the King or Felipe? Letizia will only have had little say in these issues and it seems that the King was already aware of the mess, closed down the business and got Inaki out of the way, he didnt seem to hesitate to act, no matter what other family members had to say or not to say.

In hindsight it becomes now clear why there was the charm offensive over the summer, playing united happy family on holiday. They knew they couldnt afford any more strain, being aware of the looming image desaster.

Exit Duke of Lugo , perhaps Exit Duke of Palma, Welcome Duke of Alba !

Duke, was the press the one that directed it towards the princess and the infanta, but nobody was speaking about Iñaki or about the prince when the distance was the same

Iñaki does not have a noble title. The king granted the title of Duchess of Palma to the infanta Cristina, Iñaki only uses it as her husband. Only there are two options in order that Iñaki loses the use of the title, that the infanta resigns it or the divorce.

At the moment the Prince and Princess of Asturias are away from this topic. The general opinion is that the prince is the most unfairly harmed by this story because he does his job seriously and this hurts his future.

This case has nothing to do with the poor family relations. If we read the Spanish press we know that the relationship between Letizia and the Infantas was never good, she never got along with the king either. And that is due in part to her temperament, her arrogance and some of her attitudes that are not well seen by the rest of the family. And I don´t mean the yellow press as you call them. Much of the press in Spain has conceiled the family toubles all this years, I don´t know why or which arrangement they have with the RH, but some of them have always spoken and some are starting to speak now.

And I do not believe the family did not suspect about Iñaki´s issues. If he bought such a house for such an amount of money, were all of them looking the other way?

Could well be that the Inaki case played a major part in the poor family relations, but why would Cristina's anger be directed at Letizia and not at the King or Felipe? Letizia will only have had little say in these issues and it seems that the King was already aware of the mess, closed down the business and got Inaki out of the way, he didnt seem to hesitate to act, no matter what other family members had to say or not to say.

In hindsight it becomes now clear why there was the charm offensive over the summer, playing united happy family on holiday. They knew they couldnt afford any more strain, being aware of the looming image desaster.

I don't think Cristina's attitude towards her brother (Felipe) was anything different from hers to Letizia. The press noticed that they used to have a close relation and turned cold suddenly. Felipe had never supported Inaki's business, he moved away from them, it's not a surprise if Cristina thought Letizia had a big influence over her brother, just as Letizia thought Inaki was not alone in his shaddy business, his wife knew something and had always supported him.

This case has nothing to do with the poor family relations. If we read the Spanish press we know that the relationship between Letizia and the Infantas was never good, she never got along with the king either. And that is due in part to her temperament, her arrogance and some of her attitudes that are not well seen by the rest of the family. And I don´t mean the yellow press as you call them. Much of the press in Spain has conceiled the family toubles all this years, I don´t know why or which arrangement they have with the RH, but some of them have always spoken and some are starting to speak now.

And I do not believe the family did not suspect about Iñaki´s issues. If he bought such a house for such an amount of money, were all of them looking the other way?

Timing wise, it matches exactly. The Asturias and Palms had a close relation at the beginning, it turned cold around the time Inaki's business scandal was known. A certain sector of the press had always been blaming Letizia on everything, her temperament, her arrogance ? How do you know Cristina had a good temper, not arrogant ? She was the one with a sour/angry face at the 2007 photo session in Mallorca (Sofia is not a direct heiress like Leonor, she is not the first grandchild like Forilan, but still she is HRH Infanta of Spain, what's the deal of doing a photo session for her ?). Cristina and her hubby thought they were above the law, could do anything they wanted, nobody dared to question ? In fact, what they did is damaging her parents' life long hard work and dediction and her brother's future. As lula said, the table has turned now in the press. The TV programs had started to talk about the real reasons behind the cold relation between the two sisters.
Anyway, I don't see bad relations between Elena/JC and Letizia, in laws don't have to be best friends.
Of course the family knew Inaki's business problem long time ago. With the connection of the royal family, I won't be surprised they knew the problem even before the Balearic financial scandal went public in 2006.

When all is said and done Felipe and Letizia are the next regent couple and the rest of the family will have to decide how they want to behave. If they don't accept being just sibling and in-laws of the King and Queen then they should stay away. Sometimes the dynamics within families make absolutely no sense and royal families are not exempt.

Sometimes you don't find out the dirt until it's too late...it wasn't until my grandma died we found out about at $10,000 loan made in her name by her daughter-in-law...(can't even Bring myself to call her aunt)

Timing wise, it matches exactly. The Asturias and Palms had a close relation at the beginning, it turned cold around the time Inaki's business scandal was known.

But it also matches with the usual timespan when the gloves come off. It takes some time for new family members to realize the full scale of what is going on, especially in this family, and finally stand up for themselves, what might annoy other members. I dont doubt that the Inaki business case had an impact on relations, but I dont think it was the only reason.

At the end of the day it was JC who shut down the business, not Felipe, not Letizia, and I doubt their support would have had any impact on JC's decision, therefore no reason for Cristina to direct her anger at the Asturias.

Furthermore, at a Mallorca dinner in 2006 or 2007, cant recall which one, where Cristina was openly hostile towards Letizia, at the same time JC pinched Cristina and winked at her and she was smiling back at him. I have yet to see a pictures where JC and Cristina dont seem friendly - and Cristina would have had any reason be angry with her father - and unlike Sofia, JC is not known for being a good actor, pretending to like somebody when he doesnt. There was never any visible friction between these two, unlike between Cristina and her SIL.

Last edited:
Duke, Felipe didn't have a power to remove Inaki's business (you are right), but he had moved away from his dear sister after Inaki's business problem, once very close relation between brother and sister didn't exist anymore that alone could sadden and anger Cristina. I would say Cristina's attitude towards F&L had become cold, not necessarily hostile in public (sometimes picture could be misleading), but who knows in private. My point was that once this close bond had been broken, some small, not so important things (for example whether to hold a photo session in Mallorca 2007) could easily cause frictions between them.

About JC, he punished his son-in-law, shut down Inaki's business, but he still helped them in just about everything else. If Cristina got mad at her Daddy, she wouldn't even have a meal ticket IMO. Don't you find it very strange that 5 long years, there was little talk about Inaki pocketing millions of public money in the press until the prosecutor searched the offices of Noos ? Nobody knew Cristina was the board member of Noos, her private secretary was the treasurer until now ? Daddy had been helping them until he couldn't. So the media criticism on JC this time didn't come out of nowhere.

Fortunately for the Asturias, their distant relation with the Palmas has become their saving grace this time.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom