The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-19-2018, 01:30 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Indeed it is nice if he can use the time constructively, but your remark makes me wonder: Future? What future? Who on earth will hire him? He has been living in semi-exile for almost a decade, he lost his job and has not been working for years. I don't think for a minute that after he served his sentence he will have a normal life. He has received a life sentence, as did his wife.

Old 06-19-2018, 04:08 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
Indeed it is nice if he can use the time constructively, but your remark makes me wonder: Future? What future? Who on earth will hire him? He has been living in semi-exile for almost a decade, he lost his job and has not been working for years. I don't think for a minute that after he served his sentence he will have a normal life. He has received a life sentence, as did his wife.
I only partly agree. Of course the whole affair will always stuck but they will never have any problem with money and when time comes and Inaki has done his sentence, some good old buddy of JC will hand Inaki some job, I have no doubt.
He was kind of in limbo the past six years but that's done soon.

It's already a privilege that Inaki doesn't have to mingle with ordinary criminals but is the only man in a women's prison. He can do what he wants there, sports, education .. it will soon be over.

My bet is that it won't be long until he can go home on weekends or during the day with some kind of electronic tag.

Old 06-19-2018, 05:30 AM
Administrator

I read in the Dutch press that the ability to do sports in the prison of Avila is very limited.

Luis Roldan, a PSOE politician who was imprisoned in Avila in 2005 described it a 'Siberian Gulag', as apparently it was very cold. Because of this description the prison now has a heating system.
Old 06-19-2018, 06:22 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

The King and Queen in the USA and there are no official acts this week bar one for The Infanta Elena yesterday .I wonder if queen Sofia is in Geneva with Cristina and the kids?

The news has gone worldwide

https://news.sky.com/story/king-feli...spain-11408438

14th of July 1223 : Death of Philippe Auguste,King of France
Old 06-19-2018, 06:49 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
I only partly agree. Of course the whole affair will always stuck but they will never have any problem with money and when time comes and Inaki has done his sentence, some good old buddy of JC will hand Inaki some job, I have no doubt.
He was kind of in limbo the past six years but that's done soon.

It's already a privilege that Inaki doesn't have to mingle with ordinary criminals but is the only man in a women's prison. He can do what he wants there, sports, education .. it will soon be over.

My bet is that it won't be long until he can go home on weekends or during the day with some kind of electronic tag.
A judge would need a really good reason not to follow the normal terms for these kind of freedoms (which is at least 1/4 of the sentence to be allowed a more lenient regime; from 1/2 of the sentence he is expected to be allowed to leave prison regularly as all other convicts who behave well). Moreover, his home is in Geneva and he is most likely not allowed to leave the country while he is serving his sentence (by the time he is on parole that's most likely different).

So, I don't think that Iñaki will share your idea of 'it will soon be over', more likely he will feel extremely lonely and isolated. I don't think it is a benefit for him to be on his own for most likely about at least a year and a half (the former only male prisoner at this prison at least didn't think so); he probably preferred a different prison with more interaction but was told that his choice had to conform to certain requirements by the judicial system who know they are dealing with a high-profile convict.
Old 06-19-2018, 09:42 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
A judge would need a really good reason not to follow the normal terms for these kind of freedoms (which is at least 1/4 of the sentence to be allowed a more lenient regime; from 1/2 of the sentence he is expected to be allowed to leave prison regularly as all other convicts who behave well). Moreover, his home is in Geneva and he is most likely not allowed to leave the country while he is serving his sentence (by the time he is on parole that's most likely different).

So, I don't think that Iñaki will share your idea of 'it will soon be over', more likely he will feel extremely lonely and isolated. I don't think it is a benefit for him to be on his own for most likely about at least a year and a half (the former only male prisoner at this prison at least didn't think so); he probably preferred a different prison with more interaction but was told that his choice had to conform to certain requirements by the judicial system who know they are dealing with a high-profile convict.
Does he need to stay the full time at this prison, though, or could he request a transfer at some point? Iñaki’s presence can’t overly disrupt daily life at any prison and, on the other hand, the officials need to feel sure they can offer him the same security and privacy every prisoner is entitled to.

I think Inaki will have some sort of career once he’s released. He may already have been studying something during his time in Geneva, who knows? But I agree with Duke that family friends will come up with something for him and that will be true regardless of whether he’s still married to Cristina in the end. Also, my understanding is that his own family is well connected in the area of Spain they come from so they’d likely be able to come up with something for him, too.
Old 06-19-2018, 03:48 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by camelot23ca View Post
Does he need to stay the full time at this prison, though, or could he request a transfer at some point? Iñaki’s presence can’t overly disrupt daily life at any prison and, on the other hand, the officials need to feel sure they can offer him the same security and privacy every prisoner is entitled to.

I think Inaki will have some sort of career once he’s released. He may already have been studying something during his time in Geneva, who knows? But I agree with Duke that family friends will come up with something for him and that will be true regardless of whether he’s still married to Cristina in the end. Also, my understanding is that his own family is well connected in the area of Spain they come from so they’d likely be able to come up with something for him, too.
The prison system could decide to move him to a different location but that doesn't seem likely. This was the one he himself picked (undoubtedly consulting several people). While he will be even more lonely than in a different prison, his security and privacy are secured and it's not too far from an airport that has a direct connection to Geneva.
Old 06-19-2018, 09:27 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
Hopefully the children will holiday in Mallorca with queen Sofia and the Marichalar cousins it might take minds off this sorry state of affairs for them.
I hope so also. Children together always seem to get grounded through laughter, games, sports, etc. Even though these four children seem well grounded and politely raised one just never knows what goes on in their small heads. Doctors claim the human brain does not mature fully until approximately 25 years of age so I pray that this situation will not have permanent damage of ANY kind. I am sure that both of their parents love them dearly and hope that is enough to fall back on in later years. Extended family and friends are certainly a must.
Old 10-23-2018, 02:02 AM
Imperial Majesty

Infanta Cristina gets preferential treatment on visits to Inaki

https://elpais.com/elpais/2018/10/22...20_994507.html
Old 10-23-2018, 02:14 AM
Administrator

Preferential treatment meaning that she can drive her car right to the door of the prison when she visits and that she does not have to wait with other visitors. The government says that it is justified as they have to safeguard “the safety and privacy of inmates and visitors during the visits.” which would include that of the Infanta.

But easy point to score for Podemos of course.
Old 10-23-2018, 02:32 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
Preferential treatment meaning that she can drive her car right to the door of the prison when she visits and that she does not have to wait with other visitors. The government says that it is justified as they have to safeguard “the safety and privacy of inmates and visitors during the visits.” which would include that of the Infanta.

But easy point to score for Podemos of course.
Anyone who needs a security detail will skip lines in some situations, or go through a special entrance or whatever. Of course, other times they won’t be able to go somewhere at all because it’s deemed too risky. I think if you asked a lot of people who require security details they’d say it’s a sort of “preferential treatment” they would rather do without.
Old 03-13-2019, 05:16 PM
Imperial Majesty

The Constitutional Court rejects Urdangarin's writ of amparo against his jail sentence
The Constitutional Court (TC) has denied the amparo appeal filed last November by Inaki Urdangarin against the sentence of five years and ten months in prison imposed by the Supreme Court for the case Nóos

https://www.elmundo.es/espana/2019/0...9278b46f4.html

Tags
iñaki urdangarín, infanta cristina