The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-12-2018, 08:42 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
When does the sentence kick in or is it immediate ? (my google translate is not working).
The Supreme Court ordered the authorities on Mallorca ("La Audiencia de Palma de Mallorca) to take care of the execution of the sentence so they will summon Iñaki to show up and be incarcerated (probably in the next few days).

It's Cristina's birthday tomorrow...

Old 06-12-2018, 09:14 AM
Imperial Majesty

The Audience of Palma cites Iñaki Urdangarin, Diego Torres and Jaume Matas to deliver the orders of entry into prison

They will have to appear in court tomorrow, Wednesday between 9:00 am and 2:00 pm

C.G.P.J - Noticias Judiciales

Old 06-12-2018, 09:26 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
The Supreme Court ordered the authorities on Mallorca ("La Audiencia de Palma de Mallorca) to take care of the execution of the sentence so they will summon Iñaki to show up and be incarcerated (probably in the next few days).

It's Cristina's birthday tomorrow...

How awful to see your husband being arrested on your birthday, but Iñaki brought it upon himself, so it's time to face the consequences of his bad decisions.
Old 06-12-2018, 09:46 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

I suppose they can also appeal while Inaki is already in prison. It seems that they can still have one appeal in Spain. And there may be the possibility to take it up to Strasbourg.
Old 06-12-2018, 12:30 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by lula View Post
The Audience of Palma cites Iñaki Urdangarin, Diego Torres and Jaume Matas to deliver the orders of entry into prison

They will have to appear in court tomorrow, Wednesday between 9:00 am and 2:00 pm

C.G.P.J - Noticias Judiciales
I'm unclear about what this means. Will they have to surrender and enter prison tomorrow, or will they just find out when and where they need to report?
Old 06-12-2018, 01:35 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalnel View Post
I'm unclear about what this means. Will they have to surrender and enter prison tomorrow, or will they just find out when and where they need to report?
my guess is that they will just be officially told their prison time, and a date will be agreed / dictated. i do not expect him to enter prison right there and then.
Old 06-12-2018, 06:08 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
I suppose they can also appeal while Inaki is already in prison. It seems that they can still have one appeal in Spain. And there may be the possibility to take it up to Strasbourg.
That's indeed the case. According to an article in El Mundo when someone is sentenced for less than 5 years the constitutional court might decide to keep someone out of prison until a verdict is reached; over 5 years they will be incarcerated and might appeal from prison.
Old 06-12-2018, 06:10 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlota View Post
my guess is that they will just be officially told their prison time, and a date will be agreed / dictated. i do not expect him to enter prison right there and then.
I read that normally a few days are given to arrange any personal issues that need to be dealt with; so probably end of this week or at the latest early next week? Not sure whether it will be discussed which prison they will enter. Iñaki probably will ask for a prison that is close to an airport with a direct connection to Geneva so his family can visit him more easily.
Old 06-12-2018, 08:49 PM
Courtier

Finally justice is served. I hope this is used as a cautionary tale to other royals regarding the misuse of their position for personal gain. My only sympathy is with the children, they are suffering horribly for their parents' poor judgement.
Old 06-13-2018, 03:27 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
I read that normally a few days are given to arrange any personal issues that need to be dealt with; so probably end of this week or at the latest early next week? Not sure whether it will be discussed which prison they will enter. Iñaki probably will ask for a prison that is close to an airport with a direct connection to Geneva so his family can visit him more easily.
this article mentions that inaki is spending 'his last hours of freedom', so maybe he will indeed enter prison on the day or some days shortly after today.

Se hace justicia con Urdangarin | Opinion Home | EL MUNDO

yes, the prisons being considered (inaki can choose) are those that are easy for his family to get to. it may possibly be badajoz, close to lisbon, where the infanta could get a job with the aga khan foundation, who recently purchased property there for it (unknown whether linked at all with the infanta's need to move closer to spain, given by that time it was clear inaki would enter prison. the aga khan is also good friends with juan carlos, so it is not at all unfeasible that they worked together on this. portugal is also very welcoming to spanish royals who hold a good relationship with the country, juan carlos himself was an exile in estoril.

pedro horrach mentioned in the article below that according to law juan carlos would have had to declare and would have done so if he wasn't 'intouchable' - as much as i am impressed that this wasn't slipped under the covers to save inaki, clearly justice isn't the same for everyone.

http://www.elmundo.es/baleares/2018/...a448b46c9.html

lastly, i am glad this issue gets closure. it has been 7 years already and it was about time to make a decision and move on.
Old 06-13-2018, 05:25 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Has Inaki arrived in Court yet?

14 May 1643-Death of Louis XIII de France /Louis II de Navarre
Old 06-13-2018, 07:46 AM
Administrator

Yes, he has:

** gettyimages gallery: ESP: Inaki Urdangarin Attends Court In Palma de Mallorca **
Old 06-13-2018, 08:44 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Iñaki Urdangarin arriving to Court in Palma this morning.

Old 06-13-2018, 09:16 AM
Majesty

And he will be taken from the Court directly to the prison?
Old 06-13-2018, 09:25 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biri View Post
And he will be taken from the Court directly to the prison?
He has 5 days to decide which prison he will enter
Old 06-13-2018, 09:36 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by lula View Post
He has 5 days to decide which prison he will enter
Now that is what I call consideration for the sentenced person. No just hauling them off in handcuffs to the local penitentiary but given the choice which penitentiary he prefers. The location to family probably will figure big into this as well as a chance to become familiar with his choices and the reputation of the place he'll choose. Do prisons have star ratings? Amenities? Flat screen TVs in each cell? Are menus available?

But seriously, I like that Inaki has his choice of where he'll do his time at. Makes it a big easier for everyone all the way around.
No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Old 06-13-2018, 10:03 AM
Courtier

For those of you in Spain or familiar with the Spanish judicial system, is it normal for a person in his position to be given a choice of prisons?
Old 06-13-2018, 10:56 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Now that is what I call consideration for the sentenced person. No just hauling them off in handcuffs to the local penitentiary but given the choice which penitentiary he prefers. The location to family probably will figure big into this as well as a chance to become familiar with his choices and the reputation of the place he'll choose. Do prisons have star ratings? Amenities? Flat screen TVs in each cell? Are menus available?

But seriously, I like that Inaki has his choice of where he'll do his time at. Makes it a big easier for everyone all the way around.
joking aside, some reports mentioned he may favour a prison which was newly built, with not very many people and which had 'a sports ground and acclimatised pool'. made me think that justice in certain countries is an utter joke. acclimatised pool - seriously? the fact that taxpayers dollars pay for that kind of thing makes me sick. whoever thought there was a need for a pool in a prison? might as well make it a five star hotel whilst they are at it.
Old 06-13-2018, 11:06 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I see where you're coming from Carlota and it does make a lot of sense. It seems at times that the prison systems are pandering to the inmates but I think there's a middle road somewhere along the line.

The days of being cooped up in a small cell and 3 rations of bread and water a day and otherwise forgotten are long gone. With people like Inaki that have committed what we call "white collar crimes", the period of incarceration isn't only a punishment, but its also a place of rehabilitation where inmates' health and welfare are considered (hence the sports area and the pool) and there's counseling services and even classes to help prepare for their release back into society when their time is served. Those that have drug or alcohol problems that wind them up in prison also have the option of recovery programs while they're serving time.

Anyway you look at it, prison is not a place that someone would choose to be.
No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Old 06-13-2018, 11:33 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Its making the news around the world

Spanish king's brother-in-law given five days to report to jail

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-44466383

https://www.hellomagazine.com/royalt...ison-sentence/

Tags
iñaki urdangarín, infanta cristina