The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-22-2018, 02:10 PM
Nobility

Any news yet? I thought the hearing was supposed to be yesterday.

Old 03-23-2018, 06:33 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Judges start deliberations over jail term for Spanish king’s brother-in-law

https://elpais.com/elpais/2018/03/21...65_297726.html

6th of April 1199,Death of Richard the Lionheart
Old 03-26-2018, 06:24 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
Added: Felipe couldn’t be happier with Cristina in Switzerland with somebody else, likely parents and connections picking up the massive bill, would be the same thing in Portugal. Cristina could as well come back to Spain and talk to the press all day long about the SRF and have her picture taken in front of the prison, not sure anyone would like this better. As sister of the King she will be taken care of all her life since she has enough leverage on everybody and nobody can afford to let her become a really loose cannon.
While I’m sure Cristina could provide a lot of very interesting information about how “exemplary” the adult members of the current SRF really are or are not, I don’t think she’ll ever speak about it. They all sink or swim together: no matter how they may feel about each other as individuals, they all derive status from their connection to the institution of the Spanish monarchy. As much as some fervently wish it weren’t so, that still very much includes Cristina as an Infanta of Spain and daughter of a Spanish King. Cristina and her children benefit from a strong, well functioning monarchy just as much as her siblings and nieces and nephew do. If she weakened the institution by embarrassing her father or her brother and sister in law she’d be cutting off her nose to spite her face.
Old 03-26-2018, 06:52 PM
Heir Apparent

If she weakened the institution by embarrassing her father or her brother and sister in law she’d be cutting off her nose to spite her face.
But they already did and not in a small way !
Old 03-26-2018, 07:08 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by rominet09 View Post
If she weakened the institution by embarrassing her father or her brother and sister in law she’d be cutting off her nose to spite her face.
But they already did and not in a small way !
Not quite. She was stripped of her personal title of Duchess of Lugo, but she is still an HRH and in the line of succession to the throne. If she had been really repudiated by the Royal House, she would have been forced to renounce her succession rights.
Old 03-26-2018, 07:18 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Not quite. She was stripped of her personal title of Duchess of Lugo, but she is still an HRH and in the line of succession to the throne. If she had been really repudiated by the Royal House, she would have been forced to renounce her succession rights.
If I remember it correctly no one can force a Spanish dynast to renounce their place in the Line of Succession it's only something that they can do voluntarily. Rumour has it that Felipe and Juan-Carlos begged Christina to do that but she refused.
Old 03-26-2018, 08:14 PM
Heir Presumptive

Elena is the Duchess of Lugo. Cristina was the Duchess of Palma de Mallorca.

An Infanta of Spain can indeed not be forced to give up her style; and only contracting an unapproved marriage is a way to automatically loose dynastic rights.
Old 03-26-2018, 09:07 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR76 View Post
If I remember it correctly no one can force a Spanish dynast to renounce their place in the Line of Succession it's only something that they can do voluntarily. Rumour has it that Felipe and Juan-Carlos begged Christina to do that but she refused.
Cristina could renounce her succession rights to the throne but would still be an Infanta of Spain and the daughter of a (former) reigning King, of a monarchy that still exists. That alone will always count for a lot in certain circles and it will always get her and her children things, contacts, experiences, and so on that they otherwise wouldn’t have.

My point being, its better to be in the above position - with or without succession rights - than it is to be an Infanta of a republican Spain, or a Spain with a severely weakened monarchy. Which is one reason I think Cristina will never make public some of the no doubt very interesting things she knows. Maybe not the primary reason, but one reason.
Old 06-12-2018, 04:52 AM
Imperial Majesty

Five years and ten months prison for Inaki Urdangarín

https://www.larazon.es/espana/la-sen...nte-NJ18666964
Old 06-12-2018, 05:00 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Thanks Eya, that's 5 months less than the original sentence.
We'll see if and how much of this time Inaki will actually spend inside prison walls.
Old 06-12-2018, 06:12 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

I feel sorry for his mother and children it must be a terrible day for them.

https://www.thelocal.es/20180612/urd...w-loses-appeal

Old 06-12-2018, 06:37 AM
Imperial Majesty

First pictures of the Infanta Cristina after the verdict

https://www.vanitatis.elconfidencial...garin_1577590/
Old 06-12-2018, 06:38 AM
Heir Apparent

Just to clarify: an infanta or anyone else in the line of succession can renounce their rights to succeed to the Crown of Spain, but all renunciations , like any abdication of a monarch, has to be ratified by an organic law, which is a special type of act of parliament that requires, if I am not mistaken, an absolute majority in the Congress of Deputies to be passed.

In other words, Cristina could give up her succession rights, but the renunciation would have to be handled in the same way as her father’s abdication was.

On the issue of royal marriages, the Spanish monarchy is actually slightly different from its European counterparts. In other countries, succession rights are forefeited if a royal marries without consent., so a royal marriage has to be explicitly consented to after consent is asked. In Spain, it is not necessary to ask for and receive consent to a royal marriage; instead, it suffices that the King or the parliament do not explicit prohibit the intended marriage.

The relevant references for all of the points above, which are related to previous posts in this forum, is Art. 57 of the Soanish constitution.
Old 06-12-2018, 07:02 AM
Heir Apparent

At last the end of this neverending story
Old 06-12-2018, 07:17 AM
Heir Presumptive

How does the sentencing system in Spain work: is 5 years and 10 months truly 5 years and 10 months or only half or two-thirds (as in the Netherlands)? So, had he been sentenced in the Netherlands, he would be released after 3 years, 10 months and a few weeks (so, early May 2022). The remainder would be 'on probation'.
Old 06-12-2018, 07:17 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by rominet09 View Post
At last the end of this neverending story
Apparently he can still appeal to the constitutional court. Hopefully he doesn't as there is little reason to expect a different outcome.
Old 06-12-2018, 07:20 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
How does the sentencing system in Spain work: is 5 years and 10 months truly 5 years and 10 months or only half or two-thirds (as in the Netherlands)?
I don’t know how it works in Spain, but most countries are like the Netherlands in that sense, I.e. people are generally freed before the end of their original sentence. There is nothing abnormal about that.
Old 06-12-2018, 07:20 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
Thanks Eya, that's 5 months less than the original sentence.
We'll see if and how much of this time Inaki will actually spend inside prison walls.
He was deemed not guilty of one of the charges (administrative fraud of official documents by an official - I'd say that was the part that was committed by the regional officials who were also sentenced); that's why the sentence was reduced by 5 months.
Old 06-12-2018, 07:34 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
I don’t know how it works in Spain, but most countries are like the Netherlands in that sense, I.e. people are generally freed before the end of their original sentence. There is nothing abnormal about that.
Yes, my guess is that he will only do half of the sentence if not less, he has no previous criminal record, a family and good prognosis.

I think after being full time in prison we will do nighttime only and then stay at home on house arrest / being tagged.

No way he'll be in prison for five years - as no other prisoner would be under similar circumstances.
Old 06-12-2018, 07:35 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

When does the sentence kick in or is it immediate ? (my google translate is not working).

Tags
iñaki urdangarín, infanta cristina