Iñaki, Cristina and the NOOS Corruption Investigation Part 1 (2011-2014)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sure the Spanish Royal Family feels that this is the last thing they need in light of the economic situation in Spain. I work with Resident Doctor from Spain and he said that this investigation is just one of many corruption investigations in Spain going on for a while. I'm just posting his answer as I don't know for sure.

I hope for the Infanta´s sake and her children, not to mention her parents, that this inquest turns out nothing.

The Inaki corruption topic has been a scandal in the making for a long time now. The King closed down Inakis business some years ago, got him a well paid job in the US and a problem out of the country so it seemed. Very likely that the closing down of the business brought along some tension in the family, Inaki is a sports person, I doubt he made millions in his career, but he has to live from something, the Urdangarin family has lavish lifestyle with four children, villa etc and its difficult for a man like Inaki watching his wife foot the bills while he is useless at home after his career. Promoting business was the likely choice for him but its a fragile and tricky business.

I dont think that much will come out of it although the image sticks that somebody tried to wear bigger boots than his own on other peoples expenses by being a family member of the SRF. The economic desaster in Spain will only add fuel to the fire.

I always thought Felipe moved away from his dear sister Cristina (who used to be his best friend and confidant) was not because of Letizia since Felipe always extremely values his parents and sisters. Now I'm more convinced it was because of the different views between Felipe and Cristina on Inaki's business problems and the 'punishment' Inaki received from Zarzuela.
The Spanish media tends to exaggerate stories. Lots of things said in the media might not be true. Whether Inaki is guilty or not, the judge will give a fair verdict (if he is being accused).

Last edited:
We do not know if he will be charged, but each day seems more likely. What is evident is that Iñaki did not act honestly and used the Royal Family to do business. The attitude of the infanta Cristina has not been better either, she can be very in love but she is not a stupid girl.

They are damaging very much to the Spanish Monarchy, and let's hope that at least now they act with responsibility and separate of the Royal Family.

So far, all there is are the accusations against Iñaki. They might be true. As far as the Infanta is concerned, nobody knows what she knew or not. Who can judge what goes on in a woman´s heart when she sees her family life torn apart. Those four children are in my mind always. They had and still have wonderful loving parents, no matter what Iñaki di or didn´t.

I think that people will consider Inaki "morally" guilty, what will or is already causing the damage, no matter what happens or doesnt happen in a court.

Did Cristina know, we dont know but its likely she did, keeping in mind she is not a stranger to lots of questionable privileges either that come with her position. As I said before, its not easy for a sportsperson like Inaki to make a living as a member of the SRF. JC should have taken care of this from the beginning in order to avoid trouble (as he did with the Telefonica job when first signs of fraud came up) instead of letting him do his own business, I doubt Inaki is very shrewd in business issues and people might have talked him into something, too. I am sure it was an Ego thing, he wanted to prove himself being better than just a guy throwing a ball into a net, wouldnt be the first sportsperson to get it wrong.

No way he had so much money after his career, he was member of a team and handball is not football, he might have been well off but never in terms of financing the lifestyle of a Spanish infanta incl house & kids and I think this is what eventually got him into trouble.

Cristina was a board member of Noos, her private secretary and confidant was the treasurer who surely knew all the deals and money movement. Cristina is an educated woman, not a clueless housewife, it will be hard to convince people that she didn't know anything about her hubby's business. Her secretary was placed as the treasurer likely to be her eyes and ears in her husband's company IMO. But legally she isn't responsible for the frauds committed by Noos since she wasn't an executive, didn't have the execution power officially.
Inaki as a promoter was allowed to charge fees. Charging outrageous fees as long as both sides agreed doesn't make him guilty legally (morally perhaps since it was public fund). The Spanish press is not very good at 'investigating', especially El Mundo, very tabloid like, I doubt the truth of many details.

Last edited:
Whatever happens these children are still the King and Queen´s grandchildren. Besides, I don´t believe Iñaki alone did all these things .Like we say here in Brasil in these cases:"Where are the others?"

The others... are charged, detained or declaring before the judge, including Iñaki´s partner in Noos and politicians or officials who approved these agreements. Probably if the judge and prosecutor were not being so cautious with him because of who he is, he already had visited the court.

This one is a very serious topic, and Iñaki and maybe the Infanta can have very serious problems. They have been very irresponsible, and are damaging very much the work that the Royal Family has done for years.

Every day there is new news that worsen the situation. Let's hope that they decide to act soon. The Infanta and her husband have to separate of the Royal Family as soon as possible better, because though the justice do not judge them, ethically their activities have not been correct.

While I agree with what you say, how can they possibly separate of the SRF? Cristina remains who she is, Infanta of Spain, associated with the SRF by birth. I dont see her giving up her title and fading into the background. And keeping the title and fading into the background will not work since JC is likely to provide taxpayers money for her office.

I guess they will only completely fade into the background once Felipe is King, Elena too, or possibly continue with parts of Queen Sofia's work when she is gone too or too old to cope. Cristina is very proud, I dont think she will just want to leave and I dont think that this will be the intention of the Kings at this stage.

Similar to Britain, where King Charles is expected to make a cut regarding Prince Andrew, I see Felipe dealing in a similar way towards Cristina, but I guess she is ready to fight her corner more than Elena, who strikes me as happy out of the limelight, ready to give up some of her priviliges in exchange for a quiet life.

Duke, I see it perfectly, the Infantas have few activities a year, their role is already small. Infanta Cristina is now the 7th in the succession. We are speaking of saving the dignity and future of the institution... the father can help his daughter as he wants, but the King must safeguard the Monarchy and the Head of State.

The House of the King has reported the Infantas do not have a fixed assignment of the king (they have their work and their salary), the House of the King cover their expenses when they attend an official function. Also they have the benefits and privileges of belonging to the Royal Family. They have a secretary in Zarzuela, which also is involved in Noos. Lately he was working little, and he was more a private assistant of Elena, that a civil servant of the House of the King. So probably he will soon leave Zarzuela, and someone in the secretariat of the queen could help Infanta Elena.

Depending on what happens the Infanta may quit official activity and its privileges, and if the situation is very serious resign her dynastic rights. Her situation would be like that of the sisters of the King. It is also possible to renounce the title of Duchess of Palma, she would still be infanta but Iñaki would have no title.

I also think that Infanta Cristina is the proudest and who more enjoys royal status ... but she is an infanta, since little girl she has been educated to know where are the limits, her husband has broken them and she has looked the other way. So now she will have no choice but to assume the consequences.

I think the king, when they moved to Washington knew there were these problems behind ... but I think he did not know how big the problem really was. The king has to be really angry and disappointed with them.

Last edited:
I wonder if kicking out Cristina & Inaki wouldnt bring along a public backslash too, it still might seem harsh to people since its a family with 4 children. Seems like a lose-lose situation at this stage. The SRF is running out of people, with King and Queen aging over the next years and Cristina & Elena completely withdrawing from public duty, who should keep up the workload? Leonor and Sofia will not be on public duty within the next 20 years.

On another note, Cristina still has to live from something. She does have her (likely quite overpaid) job at Caixa, but isnt that more or less because of who she is, her royal connections, meaning if she falls from grace with Inaki, Caixa might feel different about the assignement and terminate it?

I do not believe it Duke, they have acted incorrectly and cannot be over the laws. If they were private business there would no be so much problem, but we are speaking business with public money, with money of the citizens, the people do not excuse it easily.

That the Infanta does not have an official role, it does not mean that her father does not continue protecting her and her children. I think the Royal Family and especially the queen will work to protect these children and that they are not damaged by the mistakes of their parents.

After the divorce of Marichalar, the king searched a job for Elena, she found a new home and the Queen was involved in education of the children, especially Froilan.

The sisters or the nephews of the king do not have official function and are not in the succession to the Crown but it does not mean that they do not obtain benefits of being those who are. In Holland, Friso and Mabel are out of the Royal House but they continue being present at familiar acts.

Last edited:
Thanks lula, I agree that this scenario is possible but it would be very humiliating and hard to swallow for Cristina because of her personality (proud, status-driven). Even though the family would continue to provide for her and protect her, she would be a royal and social outcast in the circles she has been moving all her life.

I guess its a testing time, not only for the couple Inaki & Cristina but also for the whole SRF.

Maybe it would be wise for Infanta Christina to give up her involvement with the Caixa bank herself before more of a certain substance hits the fan?

Whatever happened,there is no smoke without a fire as we say here...What did Inaki think....Did he really think he could get away with it all?..Of all people....Why the greed....He already had conquered an Infanta of Spain to please his ego.....then he played for more.....and tumbles down....He was better at playing basketball...And now it all again boils down on Reina Sofia,the only constant in the entire family...She's the mediator and source of console....Poor poor woman.....

Last edited:
Maybe it would be wise for Infanta Christina to give up her involvement with the Caixa bank herself before more of a certain substance hits the fan?

Whatever happened,there is no smoke without a fire as we say here...What did Inaki think....Did he really think he could get away with it all?..Of all people....Why the greed....He already had conquered an Infanta of Spain to please his ego.....then he played for more.....and tumbles down....He was better at playing basketball...And now it all again boils down on Reina Sofia,the only constant in the entire family...She's the mediator and source of console....Poor poor woman.....

:lol: he was better at playing handball!!!

Had he been a basketball player, good enough to make the NBA, he would have returned to Spain a billionaire and wouldnt have to start questionable business acitvities in order to keep up with the inlaws' lifestyle.

:lol: he was better at playing handball!!!

Had he been a basketball player, good enough to make the NBA, he would have returned to Spain a billionaire and wouldnt have to start questionable business acitvities in order to keep up with the inlaws' lifestyle.

Duke, the " in law " are an example of the stereotypes that creates the press... Jaime with his eccentricities and his disease was an easy aim and for the press it was easy to attack him. The Palma had an image of perfect family and it was more profitable to promote it.

The Lugo lived many years of rent, later Jaime bought a house, which the Infanta left after the divorce and now she lives in a flat of 400 square meters. They lived in good flats, but much smaller and cheaper that the house of the Palma in Barcelona. The official residence of the Prince of Asturias was cheaper than the house of the Palma.

new details emerged today of urdangarin money laundering public money given by the balearic islands government in belize and tax haven belonging to the UK...

i'm rather shocked about this. out of all the people, the palmas seemed the most "normal" and down to earth of the SRF members.

I wonder if the Palma family will stay in the USA for Christmas or return home this year?

Duke, the " in law " are an example of the stereotypes that creates the press... Jaime with his eccentricities and his disease was an easy aim and for the press it was easy to attack him. The Palma had an image of perfect family and it was more profitable to promote it.

The Lugo lived many years of rent, later Jaime bought a house, which the Infanta left after the divorce and now she lives in a flat of 400 square meters. They lived in good flats, but much smaller and cheaper that the house of the Palma in Barcelona. The official residence of the Prince of Asturias was cheaper than the house of the Palma.

Inaki was kind of a public person when he married Cristina, and because of his sports fame maybe people thought he was well off or he wanted to fulfill this image, providing an appropriate lifestyle for his royal wife and children. I believe that he wanted to show everybody that he can do better than throw a ball and it didnt work out. He is not the first sports star proving not as streetwise out in reality when dealing with business issues as he thought he was.

Regarding the Palma house its difficult to compare with Felipe's residence that is build within Zarzuela Palace grounds, while Barcelona is a free and expensive property market. They needed something big for their family and I dont think anybody wanted to see Cristina live in a small appartement in a run down area.

Pretty stupid!!
He will now loose his freedom, his family and his wealth.
It is obvious that he will get a prison sentence and a divorce from his wife.

Pretty stupid!!
He will now loose his freedom, his family and his wealth.
It is obvious that he will get a prison sentence and a divorce from his wife.

A divorce would be very deceiving from Cristina. Divorcing someone because he is facing a trial is contrary to the vows of a christian wedding. Truly christian spouses should support each other even in the worse parts of live and even if the result is being badly looked at and loosing all his friends. True love and real friendship are revealing themselves in bad times.

They needed something big for their family and I dont think anybody wanted to see Cristina live in a small appartement in a run down area.

But we are talking about an estate of 2.000 square meters (house+garden), in one of the best areas of Barcelona ... Infanta Elena and her two children live in 400. Between your small apartment and this house there are many options.

Last edited:
Bad year for the Spanish RF. I wonder which Christmas Card they will send ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom