Iñaki, Cristina and the NOOS Corruption Investigation Part 1 (2011-2014)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I also think Cristina should renounce her rights to the throne (the Cortes should take care of this apparently). Though the chances she'll ever become queen are very low, it would be the right thing to do.
She's damaged goods anyway, even if she won't be found guilty.

Cristina and Inaki should be deprived of their titles of Duke and Duchess of Palma de Mallorca, according to Més per Palma.
“The fact that two people who will stand trial for corruption charges hold titles with the name of our city is an insult to the citizens of Palma,” said Més spokesman Antoni Verger in a statement, adding that they will propose the Royal Household should repeal the Royal Decree that conferred the titles on the couple.
‘Royals should be stripped of title’ - Euro Weekly News Spain

Don Juan Carlos pidió a su hija que renunciase, dice Ónega - La Nueva España - Diario Independiente de Asturias

Juan Carlos I a Felipe VI sobre la infanta Cristina: Déjamelo a mí que soy su padre - Noticias de Casas Reales

There is a new book on King JC, 'The man who would be King', by Fernando Onega.
The author claims that

-JC asked Cristina to give up her dynastic rights already in the summer of 2012, when he sent the former head of household of casa real and the director of Telefonica to speak to her about it. Obviously to no avail. Since then it has become clear that this issue is a personal decision of the Infanta, no pressure can be put on her.

-JC asked Felipe to have him handle the situation with Cristina since she is his daughter and JC helped creating this mess. He does not want Felipe to be burned by this issue at this early stage of his reign.

Can Cristina not have her dynastic rights, style, title etc. stripped of her. ?

Can Cristina not have her dynastic rights, style, title etc. stripped of her. ?

lula has already answered this question previously:

Today, legally, a descendant of Juan Carlos I can only be away from the succession to the Crown, if the person is married against the opinion of the King and Parliament.

Infanta Cristina can resign, but the decision is free and voluntary, and should not have pressure.

So King Felipe's hands are tied, he can not take away her rights, nor can pressure her to resign, because then the waiver may be invalidated later.

Apparently not, only she can give them up. If that is the case then I'd like to hope that the Casa Real are working out how to change that in the future.

lula has already answered this question previously:

Today, legally, a descendant of Juan Carlos I can only be away from the succession to the Crown, if the person is married against the opinion of the King and Parliament.

Infanta Cristina can resign, but the decision is free and voluntary, and should not have pressure.

So King Felipe's hands are tied, he can not take away her rights, nor can pressure her to resign, because then the waiver may be invalidated later.

Many thanks. ! Cristina has, in my opinion, no shame.

She is obviously playing the long game and is hoping that her appeal will succeed or if it doesn't that she will be found innocent. ?

Were she to give up her dynastic rights now and later be found innocent (or not stand trial at all) would she be able to have her dynastic rights re-instated. ?

Apparently not, only she can give them up. If that is the case then I'd like to hope that the Casa Real are working out how to change that in the future.

I guess the government and/or Cortes can remove Cristina out of the line of succession by law. There must be a way. I hope this won't be necessary and that she'll make the wise decision, which is renouncing her succession rights voluntarily. She appears to have refused that at an earlier stage - to me, another sign of poor judgment.

I see no reason for her to renounce now. Differently from what many people seems to think, she was not proven guilty and I suppose "innocent until proven guilty" also applies to Infantas of Spain.

I see no reason for her to renounce now. Differently from what many people seems to think, she was not proven guilty and I suppose "innocent until proven guilty" also applies to Infantas of Spain.

Cristina renouncing her rights doesn't have to be linked directly to her being guilty or not. In the past, royals had to renounce their succession rights for far less. Times have changed of course, but still.
Frankly, about her rights to the throne, I think it doesn't even matter anymore whether she'll be found guilty or not. Too much has happened and the whole affair has brought huge damage to the monarchy and continues to do so. It's impossible to imagine her as queen, no matter how remote the chances are. She should do the right thing: renounce her rights.

And let's not forget that there is already an heir, a spare and an another sister of the king and her two children in the line before Cristina. She's never actually going to become Queen so I don't see why she is so eager to hold on to being in the succession.

But if she would renounce her rights now...wouldn't that be interpretated as "confessing guilt"? Even if she isn't guilty and she would officially explain her renouncing her throne-rights with something like the things you guys mentioned above, there would still be people who would interpret it as "proof" that she has done something wrong...

Imo at this very moment she'd do best to lay as low as possible and not make any headlines what so ever, because everything she does will be connected to the NOOS case.
Even if she wants to renounce, than imo it would be best to wait until the trial is over (with whatever result that that brings)

Cristina renouncing her rights doesn't have to be linked directly to her being guilty or not. In the past, royals had to renounce their succession rights for far less. Times have changed of course, but still.
Frankly, about her rights to the throne, I think it doesn't even matter anymore whether she'll be found guilty or not. Too much has happened and the whole affair has brought huge damage to the monarchy and continues to do so. It's impossible to imagine her as queen, no matter how remote the chances are. She should do the right thing: renounce her rights.

I think she should wait until the trial is over. Them, depending on the result, she can make a decision.

She knows if she's innocent or guilty, we don't know. What if she renounces now, and is proven innocent later? That would very unfair with her.

And let's not forget that there is already an heir, a spare and an another sister of the king and her two children in the line before Cristina. She's never actually going to become Queen so I don't see why she is so eager to hold on to being in the succession.

That's not a reason for her to renounce. There are three generations of direct heirs in the UK, but Prince Harry is not going to renounce.

I don't think she's eager, it's just her birthright.

And i think Cristina holds a lot on that birthright, but she seems not to understand that with that birthright comes responsibility. Of course if she is innocent she should remain in the succession and I don't think it would be right for her to renounce her rights now because it would look like she is saying she's guilty. However if she is found guilty in a court I think she should renounce her rights to show her remorse.

But if she would renounce her rights now...wouldn't that be interpretated as "confessing guilt"? Even if she isn't guilty and she would officially explain her renouncing her throne-rights with something like the things you guys mentioned above, there would still be people who would interpret it as "proof" that she has done something wrong...

Imo at this very moment she'd do best to lay as low as possible and not make any headlines what so ever, because everything she does will be connected to the NOOS case.
Even if she wants to renounce, than imo it would be best to wait until the trial is over (with whatever result that that brings)

You have a point about the timing. She should have done it way earlier I think, at the same time as she ceased being a member of the Royal Family. That has already happened, even before she was put on trial. A lot has happened already: out of Royal Family, remarks in Christmas speeches about corruption (without calling her or Iñaki by name of course), not representing King anymore. Renouncing succession rights is, in my view, the logical next and final step.

Last edited:
There is a new book on King JC, 'The man who would be King', by Fernando Onega.
The author claims that

-JC asked Cristina to give up her dynastic rights already in the summer of 2012, when he sent the former head of household of casa real and the director of Telefonica to speak to her about it. Obviously to no avail. Since then it has become clear that this issue is a personal decision of the Infanta, no pressure can be put on her.

-JC asked Felipe to have him handle the situation with Cristina since she is his daughter and JC helped creating this mess. He does not want Felipe to be burned by this issue at this early stage of his reign.

Is this book considered completely reliable or just his opinion?

:previous:

Exactly the question I wanted to ask. If this is reliable, then this is quite a revelation.

The King of Spain, like the President of United States, does possess the so-called "right of clemency" (Art. 62(i) of the Spanish constitution). However, as all actions of the King must be countersigned by the president of the government or another competent ministers, I assume he can't grant pardons without the government's approval.

Then it's not at all like the President of the United States. If the President (or Governor of a State) wants to give clemency for someone he doesn't have to ask anybody, he just does it and no one can do a thing about it.

If the Infanta is found guilty, is there a chance she might go to prison? There wasn't much information about the case in the U.S. until Christina was indicted and not many news stories have delved into the case or what it is.

If the Infanta is found guilty, is there a chance she might go to prison? There wasn't much information about the case in the U.S. until Christina was indicted and not many news stories have delved into the case or what it is.

other articles seemed to point to the possibility she may be charged with up to 11 years of prison. but i don't believe a minute she will even spend a day in prison, but hope i am proved wrong. iñaki doesn't believe he should go to prison, and he only married into the royal family.

on another note, iñaki was spotted flying from bilbao to barcelona on low cost airline vueling ealier this week.

http://www.elmundo.es/loc/2015/01/03/54a6f68fe2704e263e8b457d.html

Last edited:
I can't believe the amount of years the press is circulating. Is Spanish law so much different from other european countries, eg Germany? We just had our biggest public case there, Uli Hoeness, not royalty but a highly respected member of society, a super sucessful football manager, got caught for tax evasion (28.5 Mio EUR). Taxpayers money is kind of public money. There were no prior convictions, he pleaded guilty, had to repay, got a bit over 3 years in prison, now his is already a day release prisoner.

Don't get me wrong, if Inaki is convicted he could get exactly what he deserves, and I am not into law but I can't help feeling that speaking of 11, 15 or even 20 years is kind of polemic what will backfire in case he will get much less. I've said it before, people convicted of manslaughter, even murder, or paedophiles get away with much less.

Don't get me wrong, if Inaki is convicted he could get exactly what he deserves, I've said it before, people convicted of manslaughter, even murder, or paedophiles get away with much less.

You are correct DoM, but manslaughter, murder and especially pedophiles should NEVER get away with a light sentence. 20 years is even too light for them. Time correct punishment was imposed. As far as this case, IMO a strict public community service sentence, along with all monies repaid [even if they have to sell everything of value that was purchased by embezzled money] preformed by outside firm. I believe that would hurt them much more than jail time in a posh setting, like many of the wealthy of the world get. They are not any threat physically to others as are murders, etc., just immoral people that felt they were entitled. This of course still only if found guilty.

Personally, if found guilty, I would love for them to serve time in jail, even if only for a year. This would certainly serve to show the world, even Royals and well-connected cannot break the law and get away with it completely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom