The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal Family of Spain > The Duke and Duchess of Palma de Mallorca and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-02-2012, 05:42 PM
Imperial Majesty

Marivent palace is property of the Government of the Balearic Islands, so Matas it was meeting in a building that depends on his government.

Old 01-02-2012, 06:33 PM
Aristocracy

Location: Somewhere in a hole in the wall town in Wisconsin, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade

How was he able to decive his in-laws for such a long time? I have no doubt that the SRF enjoy their share of luxury behind closed doors, but at least they do it in a discreet way because they are intelligent enough to know about the consequences of showing off.
Inaki is the male version of a gold digger whose head got too big, no doubt about that.
Believe me, you can cover things up for a long time. It wasn't until my grandma died we found out about the loan in her name that the daughter in law tool out.

Inaki strikes me as a manipulative person if he could pull this off. He'd be in good company with my Grandma's daughter in law... They should write a book together...

Genealogist: shrinking the world one person at a time.
Old 01-02-2012, 06:49 PM
Nobility

This whole thing just amazes me. Of course all we see are pictures, but my impression was that Inaki was a really decent guy, comfortable with himself, in love with Cristina, a good father. I would never guess he would do this sort of thing.

Yet, on the other hand, a lot of things make sense now. The sour, unhappy look on Cristina's face starting about the time this took place. What appeared to be changes in the family relationships, etc. There are so many ways in which a man with Inaki's connections could take advantage (legally) of his position, why would he do this?
Old 01-03-2012, 03:50 AM
Heir Presumptive

Inaki didn't fool everyone in the family, at least not Felipe and Letizia. Tiempo magazine had an articled mentioned that Felipe was the first one who saw the irregularities of Inaki's business when he became the VP of the Spanish Olympic Committee (2004-2005) since at that time there were talks of Inaki's business in the media. I remember at that time some journalists said that royals could work, but shouldn't be allowed to do business, but Felipe's voice hadn't been heard by his Dad. JC didn't know Inaki had done things illegal, but he surely knew Inaki had made millions using his royal connection, he pretty much left a blind eye to Inaki's business.
I agree that if Cristina were not a King's daughter, she likely would be called to testify just as wife of Inaki's business partner. I'm surprised that the secretary of the infantas hasn't been called to testify either, he was the treasurer of Noos, should know the in/out of money of Noos, he must have been protected by someone on the top (likely JC).
Not only Inaki negotiated his business contracts in Marivent, the secretary of the infantas had been managing Inaki's business from Zarzuela . The secretary must have known all the dirty secrets of Inaki and Cristina, no wonder JC still keeps him in Zarzuela.

El secretario de las infantas gestion los negocios de Urdangarn desde Zarzuela - Libertad Digital
Old 01-03-2012, 04:22 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnaK View Post
Inaki didn't fool everyone in the family, at least not Felipe and Letizia.
Obviously yes - Inaki married into the family seven years earlier, it seems he was able to hide his golddigging character or affection for a lifestyle bigger than his purse, even as Olympic handballer he didnt make lots of money.

Its clearly JCs mistake to allow him (or anyone else within the SRF) to get anywhere near public money or do business in the first place. Its difficult to see why - just look at other royal houses - anyone doing business or works with public money is close to controversy (BRF princes Edward or Andrew, Countess Sophie).

And its difficult to see why JC only reacted so slow - given, and I've said it before, the personal and professional hardship he had to go through for decades in order to get on the Spanish throne and stay there until today.
Old 01-03-2012, 06:20 AM
Aristocracy

After reading the posts I refreshed my knowledge of Spain and its royal family.

It does seem really sad for this to happen especially given the work the king has done.

I hope it is resolved quickly and doesn't reflect back on the rest of the family. But I guess it will to some degree.
Old 01-03-2012, 07:33 AM

All that glitters is not gold...

Quote:
Originally Posted by royaltywatcher View Post
This whole thing just amazes me. Of course all we see are pictures, but my impression was that Inaki was a really decent guy, comfortable with himself, in love with Cristina, a good father. I would never guess he would do this sort of thing.

Yet, on the other hand, a lot of things make sense now. The sour, unhappy look on Cristina's face starting about the time this took place. What appeared to be changes in the family relationships, etc. There are so many ways in which a man with Inaki's connections could take advantage (legally) of his position, why would he do this?
Hi everyone,

Ive been reading the forums for a while and specially those related to the spanish royal house. I'm very concerned of how this situation is evolving and was asking myself, if we really know them, we tend to think we do...we create those characters based on pictures, press, forums, blogs, etc, but we really dont know what is true and what isn't. What is happening now...is hard to believe based on how well he was handling himself as duke of palma (at least publicly), we really dont know who knew and who didnt, even inside the royal family. We will never know for sure. We can learn a good lesson in this: dont judge by the appearances and dont put your heart on people you dont really know (and that includes any royal or celebrity you follow).

Cya,

W
Old 01-03-2012, 08:15 AM
Heir Presumptive

Well said lady W , I often thought that the Royals were always happy , handsome and successful and lucky !
Old 01-03-2012, 08:30 AM
Heir Presumptive

Classic abuse of position and power, IMO, which is a sad occurrence always, but all too common today unfortunately.
Old 01-03-2012, 01:29 PM
Nobility

It's true that you can't know about criminal activity from pictures, but I do think you can tell when the royal personages we follow are happy or unhappy. I remember thinking "something's wrong" looking at the photos of then-Princess Alexandra of Denmark and Prince Joachim months before their separation was announced. Even consummate professionals have a hard time looking truly happy when they are not.

Cristina and Inaki were so happy when they were first married, right up until about the birth of Irene, or maybe a year after that. Since then I've wondered, is Cristina just aging, or is there some reason she looks different to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyW View Post
Hi everyone,

Ive been reading the forums for a while and specially those related to the spanish royal house. I'm very concerned of how this situation is evolving and was asking myself, if we really know them, we tend to think we do...we create those characters based on pictures, press, forums, blogs, etc, but we really dont know what is true and what isn't. What is happening now...is hard to believe based on how well he was handling himself as duke of palma (at least publicly), we really dont know who knew and who didnt, even inside the royal family. We will never know for sure. We can learn a good lesson in this: dont judge by the appearances and dont put your heart on people you dont really know (and that includes any royal or celebrity you follow).

Cya,

W
Old 01-03-2012, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by royaltywatcher View Post
It's true that you can't know about criminal activity from pictures, but I do think you can tell when the royal personages we follow are happy or unhappy. I remember thinking "something's wrong" looking at the photos of then-Princess Alexandra of Denmark and Prince Joachim months before their separation was announced. Even consummate professionals have a hard time looking truly happy when they are not.

Cristina and Inaki were so happy when they were first married, right up until about the birth of Irene, or maybe a year after that. Since then I've wondered, is Cristina just aging, or is there some reason she looks different to me?

When you look at a picture, you can see a smiling person or an unhappy face, but you dont know why someone is showing an emotion. The example that ive read the other day was people telling that cristina and felipe were not longer close like they were in the past because she didnt like letizia, now people says it was because of Inaki. People arrive at a conclusions that sometimes is true and most of the time it isnt. It is true that for many people their body language speaks louder than words, but royals most of the time have learned to act appropiately for the occasions and that implies hiding their emotions and showing their best face. When they are unable they dont participate, Princess Masako is the best example.
Old 01-03-2012, 04:17 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patra View Post
Classic abuse of position and power, IMO, which is a sad occurrence always, but all too common today unfortunately.
It is sad but he's innocent until proven guilty in my book.

I really feel sorry for the Palma's 4 children with all of this going on
Old 01-03-2012, 04:23 PM
Majesty
TRF Author

Sadly, I think its a done deal.

Elena's separation was only announced when it was clear that there was NO WAY of reconciliation, otherwise casareal wouldnt have done it.

In the same way, if there was ANY CHANCE that Inaki wasnt guilty, casareal wouldnt have reacted in the harsh way they did, ousting Inaki (and Cristina without mentioning her) from any royal activity. They would have said instead, innocent until proven guilty, but they didnt. I would be surprised if we would see the Palmas again at an official event, ever.
Old 01-03-2012, 04:31 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
Sadly, I think its a done deal.

Elena's separation was only announced when it was clear that there was NO WAY of reconciliation, otherwise casareal wouldnt have done it.

In the same way, if there was ANY CHANCE that Inaki wasnt guilty, casareal wouldnt have reacted in the harsh way they did, ousting Inaki (and Cristina without mentioning her) from any royal activity. They would have said instead, innocent until proven guilty, but they didnt. I would be surprised if we would see the Palmas again at an official event, ever.
If thats the case its their children who are the real victims in all of this,very sad situation for them to be in.

Cristina & Inaki were once one of my favourite royal couples!
Old 01-03-2012, 04:38 PM
Courtier

I was / am in a quandary as how to read the removal of Inaki from royal duties.

Continuing to represent the Spanish Royal Family demonstrates that the RF is fully behind and believes that Inaki is innocent OR it puts a question mark over the RF as well.

Stepping down from official duties suggests that Inaki didn't want to be in the limelight and a further embarrassment to the RF while the investigation is on-going OR it can suggest that the RF has doubts and doesn't want Inaki to represent it.
Old 01-03-2012, 06:43 PM
Aristocracy

My opinion is that if Casa Real believed Iñaki is completely innocent, they wouldn't have stepped him down from his official duties or at least, the family would have celebrated Christmas together... The whole reaction of Casa Real, in my opinion, shows that probably they think there are traces that suggest Iñaki's behaviour was not exactly exemplary (in other words, that he CAN be guilty).
Some of you think that Prince Felipe knew about Iñaki's businesses and that's the reason why the relationship between them is now worse... I really don't know. But for me, the relationship between Felipe and Iñaki was exemplary, they seemed to have a great relationship, until Felipe married Letizia. Here, in Spain, we've always heard that the Infantas (specially Cristina) never liked Letizia. I think the relationship was already bad between them before Iñaki started his businesses. Obviously, if Felipe knew about them, it's normal that he didn't approved them... The distance between members of SRF is something that we never had imagined until the in-laws appeared. The King, the Queen, the Infantas and Prince Felipe they were always so tied and it was starting to marry (specially after Felipe's marriage) and things started to change between them... The rumours have been continuous since then: the King doesn´t like Letizia, the Infantas (specially Cristina) doesn't like Letizia, Letizia doesn´t like the Infantas... Complicated!
Old 01-03-2012, 07:16 PM
Aristocracy

I wonder when had Cristina known about her husband illegal business?I dout that she Knew from the begining,I think as soon as the invistigation started about Noos,the royal palace was informed and the king asked the infanta and her family to leave for Us.
Old 01-03-2012, 07:48 PM
Courtier

I believe that all families have problems behind closed doors. I personally have 13 in-laws. To say that I adore everyone of them would be a stretch. Polite in public at all times--weddings, funerals, etc. Since my family is not under the eyes of the press 24/7, no one would notice. The Royals are human. They have likes and dislikes. Some members of the family more spoiled than others and when new people marry into the "group" jealousies are born. I tend to feel a bit sorry for Cristina as she was always the darling of the press. Now, she and her children stand back to Felipe, Letizia and especially their two beautiful girls. On top, this rotten situation involving her husband must be horrendous to her self image. She was not use to "bad press".

I personally believe that Inaki's situation was handled properly for families but incorrectly politically. As soon as rumors started, it should have been addressed.

As far as no one in the family liking Letizia, moot point. Felipe does and that is all that matters. In fact, I remember years ago that it was well stated that King JC had a jealousy of his own son's good looks and popularity. So the "close family" that was put on in publice might just have been good acting.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:20 PM
Imperial Majesty

Kleio, infanta Elena and prince Felipe never had a specially nearby relation, and neither had the infantas Elena and Cristina. The most nearby were Cristina and Felipe.

I do not remember images of the Lugo and the Palma together, until a few years ago. The Lugo were never going in Christmas to Baqueira, until 2006. The infantas were started joining when their children had certain age, and Elena's marriage already was bad.

I remember in the first year of marriage that Felipe and Letizia were going to Barcelona, photos in the park with the children, having dinner or the photos of the family of the Princess taking the infanta and her children to the circus in Madrid.

The photos and the calendar coincide. The April, 2006 the Prince, the Princess and Leonor go to Miguel's birthday at the end of April ... since then, to the party of Iñaki's 40 birthday in 2008, there are no images of them visiting that house.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:40 PM
Nobility

Exactly my observation. I always wondered what happened, heard that there were in-law issues, but that did not coincide with the pictures from early in the marriage of Felipe and Letizia (2004/2005) where everyone seemed to get along so well and looked so happy in all the group pictures (Easter comes to mind). Then everything was different, and I do think now we know why.

Tags
corruption, iñaki urdangarín, infanta cristina, scandal