The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal Family of Spain > The Duke and Duchess of Palma de Mallorca and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-18-2011, 09:05 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by maria-olivia View Post
Exit Duke of Lugo , perhaps Exit Duke of Palma, Welcome Duke of Alba !
Just noticed this post. Certainly you were joking in your welcoming of the Duke of Alba? There is a Duchess heading the House of Alba - Cayetana Fitz-James Stuart - her husband is totally irrelevant in Spain except for women magazines.

Mind you, the Alba's agricultural holdings are finally being scrutinised

Old 12-18-2011, 02:43 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alondra View Post
And probably thinking than the further away, the easier to deal with the issue. There is no win/lose for the SRF in this affair - there is only a somewhat damage limitation to stop affecting the rest of the RF.
The "further away" thing is the part that makes no sense to me. Maybe a hundred, or even fifty years ago the distance would have acted as somewhat of a buffer from these troubles, but geographical distance means nothing in this age of easy air travel, 24 hour news and especially the internet. It looks very bad for the Spanish royal household that one of their representatives "suggested" Inaki leave the country as it shows they were aware there was a major problem years ago and, at the very least, weren't proactive in dealing with the situation. Seen in the worst light it looks like they scrambled to hush things up and tried to make the problem go away, for all their talk now about transparency and respect for the legal process.

Old 12-18-2011, 03:08 PM
Serene Highness

Although I agree with posts that suggest SRF knew about the incident long before and that was the reason Dukes of Palma were sent away, and that SRF should have dealt with the problem long ago, can we possibly think of any other way Juan Carlos would have behaved, frankly? Or any other person in the position of power? I don't think so. I don't support the way things were handled, I'm just suggesting any other person would have done the same. What did you expect?
Old 12-18-2011, 03:26 PM
Aristocracy

Location: Somewhere in a hole in the wall town in Wisconsin, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte_Aster
Although I agree with posts that suggest SRF knew about the incident long before and that was the reason Dukes of Palma were sent away, and that SRF should have dealt with the problem long ago, can we possibly think of any other way Juan Carlos would have behaved, frankly? Or any other person in the position of power? I don't think so. I don't support the way things were handled, I'm just suggesting any other person would have done the same. What did you expect?
Sometimes it's hard to deal with things right away. Tempers and tantrums fly and the one who is committing the crime, act, whatever will use whatever means to try to deflect the blow, even using children as weapons to cover up the wrong. So you ignore the problem, you excuse the problem, but you never address the problem. Eventually secrets come out and sometimes the wrong is 10 times worse than when you initially found out there was a problem.
Genealogist: shrinking the world one person at a time.
Old 12-18-2011, 04:02 PM
Imperial Majesty

The Noos Institute was ostensibly a non-profit association. When in the Balearic parliament there was a question about a contract of Noos, the House of the King saw that there was something wrong and sends a lawyer to see what this association is doing. There they discover they are not doing non-profit activities, but in part are benefiting and then forced Urdangarín to leave Noos.

If Iñaki liked business and was committed to them, outside of Spain, where he did not have influence, would be less dangerous. He started working at a company in late 2006 and traveled to the U.S.A. often, until 2009 they did not decide to move.

At that time, 2006, Noos performances could be doubtful, but then to be able to know and show that behind it was illegal, there is a great distance. Apparently it was a non-profit Institute and the contracts were legal. The current situation comes because some of those contracts were made with some politicians who are now being tried for corruption. Then the judge has seized Noos documentation and that's how everything has been discovered. Apparently everything was within the law, only a long and detailed investigation can uncover what really lies behind it.

Those were years of economic boom in which many politicians and businessmen led laws to the limit to benefit, years later, that has ended in many cases of alleged corruption.
Old 12-18-2011, 04:56 PM
Heir Presumptive

Alondra, I know I was just joking because I read that they put off the waxes the Dukes of Lugo and Palma and saw Hola’s front-page the Duchess and her brand new husband. Regards .
Old 12-20-2011, 05:45 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

AFP: Spanish king forced son-in-law to quit job in 2006
Old 12-27-2011, 05:19 PM
Aristocracy

Inaki's former business investigated in a corruption case

Quote:
Originally Posted by lula View Post
Of course people sometimes exaggerate, and children are the only innocents in this story.

But if there is something that people can not forgive is that someone who has all privileges steal public money. Spain is very much affected by the crisis, there are 5 million unemployed,wages are down, there are social cuts... people are very angry, and this whole case has a further negative impact in the current situation.
I agree 100% with lula. Spain's situation is the worst in decades. The only thing that the Royals or family related to are asked for is to be honest and exemplary people. Nothing else. They have plenty of privileges that the rest of us will never enjoy so the least they can do is behaving in an exemplary way. Of course, I am really sorry for the children, but just for the children that are the innocent victims of all this situation. Adults (including infanta Cristina) knew it and they allowed this behaviour. Because Cristina knew who she was marrying and before the marriage he had no palace or several properties. He has got rich just because he's married to a royal. What people ask for is simple justice. As the King said "justice has to be equal for everyone" (including his son-in-law).
Old 12-27-2011, 05:41 PM
Serene Highness

I really do not want to be in their skin at the moment. But: they have done a severe mistake and now they have to pay for it. The King´s speech must have been another nail in their coffin.
BYe Bine
Old 12-27-2011, 07:04 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleio View Post
I agree 100% with lula. Spain's situation is the worst in decades. The only thing that the Royals or family related to are asked for is to be honest and exemplary people. Nothing else. They have plenty of privileges that the rest of us will never enjoy so the least they can do is behaving in an exemplary way. Of course, I am really sorry for the children, but just for the children that are the innocent victims of all this situation. Adults (including infanta Cristina) knew it and they allowed this behaviour. Because Cristina knew who she was marrying and before the marriage he had no palace or several properties. He has got rich just because he's married to a royal. What people ask for is simple justice. As the King said "justice has to be equal for everyone" (including his son-in-law).
I agree 100% with you both. I feel really sorry for the kids (I love those kids!), but if Iñaki is guilty (and each day I´m more certain that he is) and Cristina knew it (and I agree with you that she knew) they have to pay for it.
The monarchy´s image is so bad nowadays and that´s their fault, so if the King wants to keep his good image, he should be strict in this matter, even if it´s too hard for him.
I know this is hard to understand, but I think Spanish people won´t forgive this easily, and I think you can´t ask them to do it either.

Proud admirer and supporter of the Princess of Asturias, Viana and Gerona (2005 - ) :)
Old 12-28-2011, 04:42 AM
Royal Highness

Being from a country where Republican government members have been accused and convicted of innimaginable frauds, I´m surprised that there isn´t a tape where iñaki appears in an embarassing transaction or even telephone converstaions that were taped. These things are very common for us to see and even so, many are not convicted.
I can´t believe that Spain which is after all in the first wold doesn´t have that type of thing.
Old 12-28-2011, 07:30 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carminha Stalker View Post
Being from a country where Republican government members have been accused and convicted of innimaginable frauds, I´m surprised that there isn´t a tape where iñaki appears in an embarassing transaction or even telephone converstaions that were taped. These things are very common for us to see and even so, many are not convicted.
I can´t believe that Spain which is after all in the first wold doesn´t have that type of thing.
I am sure this kind of evidence you talk about exists. The problem is that, in Spain, the media are always really protective with the monarchy. Call it censorship, call it whatever you want to, but there's no way we'll ever know everything that's happened. The king and his family are untouchable, that's the truth, and now there's much noise but in six months everything will be forgotten, unfortunately. And we've known about this because it happened to an in-law, if it had happened to some of His Majesty's children, we would never have known. I think there's a lot of secretism surrounding the SRF, many things we are not allowed to know (and of course, there are tapes, and pictures and who knows, but unfortunately, we'll never see them!)
Old 12-28-2011, 10:34 AM
Royal Highness

KLEIO: If that is so, then why all this rigmarole? A person accused of wrongdoing has to be proven guilty. There have been cases of important people here (such as a minister of state) who was accused and was innocent.
From what I have read in several Spanish blogs, I don´t see any protection whatsoever Even though his wife belongs to the Royal Family..But it is an awful , malicious and cruel thing to write, talk and denounce a person´s guilt if either:you can´t judge the person or else you can´t show the proof.
proofs (such as in a tape )for instance.
Old 12-28-2011, 05:42 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carminha Stalker View Post
KLEIO: If that is so, then why all this rigmarole? A person accused of wrongdoing has to be proven guilty. There have been cases of important people here (such as a minister of state) who was accused and was innocent.
From what I have read in several Spanish blogs, I don´t see any protection whatsoever Even though his wife belongs to the Royal Family..But it is an awful , malicious and cruel thing to write, talk and denounce a person´s guilt if either:you can´t judge the person or else you can´t show the proof.
proofs (such as in a tape )for instance.
Sorry, Carminha, I didn't express myself correctly. What I tried to express is that about everything related to the monarchy we just know "the tip of the iceberg". Maybe not this time because we are talking about an in-law, not a real royal. It doesn't mean that they are going to condemn Iñaki being innocent, obviously not! But the problem is that Iñaki's businesses involved much people being investigated right now for fraud and that's the reason why we've known about it. And that's why most of people suspects they are probably guilty (not also Iñaki but also his partners) because the proofs that newspapers talk about (real proofs not invented) seem to be conclusive. You're right: people talk about this case and maybe you think Iñaki has no protection at all, but think that others involved in this have already been charged (Iñaki's partner has already been accused; he was a lecturer in the most prestigious school of economics in Barcelona and he has been removed from his job as a lecturer...) When I say Iñaki has "protection" I am talking about this kind of things...
I wouldn't like to be misunderstood... Excuse me if I was not clear.
Old 12-28-2011, 05:43 PM
Aristocracy

Read this: Esade aparta de la docencia Diego Torres, el socio de Urdangarín | Política | EL PAÍS
Old 12-28-2011, 06:19 PM
Aristocracy

This is history, la Casa de Su Majestad el Rey, giving explanations about how they spend the Budget:

Desglose presupuestario. Casa de Su Majestad el Rey de España
Old 12-29-2011, 04:53 AM
Imperial Majesty

El juez levanta el secreto e imputa a Iñaki Urdangarin | Política | EL PAÍS
Old 12-29-2011, 05:09 AM
Royal Highness

How lucky you Spaniards are, when you have a King giving account of his earnings (and taxes).It is indeed history. We had a chap here (a Minister) who managed the feat of increasing his fortune 200% in two years. He was forced out, but so far we still are wondering how he did this miracle. Do you think Presidents (at least here in South America) give an account of what they do with the money they get?We pay one of the highest taxes in the world., by the way.
What I think it´s awful is reading some Spaniards wishing the worst possible things to happen to Iñaki´s family, even before he is condemned and accusing the Queen for having gone to Washington to visit her daughter and grandchildren. Or somebody forbidding the Infanta to bring her children over for Christmas.What crime are Juan, Pablo, Miguel and Irene accused of?
Old 12-29-2011, 05:48 AM
Imperial Majesty

Judge José Castro of Palma de Mallorca, head of the investigation known as 'case Nóos', has imputed Iñaki Urdangarin. In his order, the judge lifted the inquest and appointment Urdangarín to declare on February 6.

El juez que investiga el 'caso Nos' imputa a Urdangarin | España | elmundo.es

Google Traductor
Old 12-29-2011, 06:17 AM
Courtier

If convicted, the punishment for millions fraud will be 20 years.
I hardly believe that this marriage will survive this.
I think the Infanta will divorce in due time

Tags
corruption, iñaki urdangarín, infanta cristina, scandal