The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal Family of Spain > The Duke and Duchess of Palma de Mallorca and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-23-2013, 06:53 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

corruption seems to be such a big topic that inaki might have considered it "normal" and would never have thought of the implications now haunting him and his family.
Spain’s Leader Faces Political Storm Over Corruption

Old 01-24-2013, 05:05 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

casa real is being dragged more and more in the Inaki scandal, its getting uglier by the day:

El «caso Urdangarín» salpica a la Casa Real - La Nueva España - Diario Independiente de Asturias

Diego Torres, Inakis former partner, is blackmailing the monarchy with his emails indicating the deeper involement of casareal, especially the key figure of Carlos Garcia Revenga, the secretary of Elena and Cristina, at the same time the treasurer of Noos and still holding his position at casareal, protected by the King who is protecting his daughter.

Its only speculation but it seems evident that Revenga knows a lot of what has been going on, same goes for Cristina, yet both are not being questioned by the authorities. The King has immunity but doesnt do himself any favours by protecting those protagonists of the scandal.

JC is walking on a thin rope, I wonder for how much longer he will get away with his strategy.

Old 01-24-2013, 05:39 AM
Imperial Majesty

Before or after Garcia Revenga had to appear in the investigation. He has been years the right hand of the infantas and was treasurer of Noos.

Revenga has always had a role a little strange, more personal than professional... and that is a danger, because maybe instead of defending the Royal House, has defended the infantas or his own interests.
Old 01-26-2013, 12:27 AM
Royal Highness

Carlos Garcia Revenga... the secretary of the infantas and protector of all secrets......

Sounds a bit like a character in a Dan Brown novel. The whole thing's starting to sound a bit like a Dan Brown novel. Why do I picture Revenga dressed up like a monk at the Vatican?
Old 01-26-2013, 05:03 AM
Heir Presumptive

I think it is the last postings that make it sound like a dan brown novel
@DukeoM: blackmail is a criminal offense, perhaps you mean something different
@lula: "Revenga has always had a role a little strange, more personal than professional" who says his relationship is more personal than professional and that does not mean there is anything unethical or worse happening
Old 01-26-2013, 05:47 AM
Imperial Majesty

Iñaki Urdangarin has been excluded from the web of the Royal House

La Casa del Rey excluye de su web a Iaki Urdangarn - ABC.es
Old 01-26-2013, 06:05 AM
Serene Highness

wasn't the ex-Duke of Lugo excluded the day of his divorce?
Old 01-26-2013, 06:42 AM
Heir Presumptive

King of Spain faces fresh embarrassment

I see now where the word blackmail is about, the judges can never give in to it so the emails will be released I guess.

quote:
The documents are currently in the hands of Diego Torres, former business partner and alleged co-conspirator in the on-going case of the Kings son-in-law Inaki Urdangarin.
In what has been called ‘public blackmail’, Torres has said he will release the 200 emails unless prosecutors spare him jail for the embezzlement charges he faces.
end quote.
Old 01-26-2013, 06:43 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by lula View Post
Iñaki Urdangarin has been excluded from the web of the Royal House

La Casa del Rey excluye de su web a Iaki Urdangarn - ABC.es
This is a serious move!
Old 01-26-2013, 06:51 AM
Heir Presumptive

Yes I agree, worse events will happen !
Old 01-26-2013, 06:55 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by maria-olivia View Post
Yes I agree, worse events will happen !
It doesn't look good Maria-Olivia,I shudder to think what's around the corner for the Borbóns
Old 01-26-2013, 09:56 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
It doesn't look good Maria-Olivia,I shudder to think what's around the corner for the Borbóns
Yeah, but it makes for the most interesting thread in the entire forum. Much more fun than watching Kate Middleton head to Starbucks for a cookie.

And, hey, they brought it on themselves. I'm just hoping Letizia and Felipe, they good guys are left standing at the end of the day. And any other good guys as well.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:38 AM
Commoner

I have to say I feel sorry for Queen Sofia, being stuck in this mess. It must be hard carrying out her duties with a smile on her face when everything is crumbling around her. Hopefully the Asturias are completely clean, that must be her only comfort right now...
Old 01-26-2013, 10:38 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieGiraffe View Post

And, hey, they brought it on themselves.
Totally agree. Right now, I can´t say I´ll be very sorry if Spanish people get tired and they kick out the monarchy. I like Felipe, Letizia and the Queen, and even after all the scandals I have some respect for the King for his labour during all these years, but the whole thing is too messy to be ignored, honestly.
They should have known better, all them.

Proud admirer and supporter of the Princess of Asturias, Viana and Gerona (2005 - ) :)
Old 01-26-2013, 10:48 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

Its a powerful gesture by casareal distancing themselves from Inaki, however, technically he remains a member of the SRF as long as he is married to Cristina and he is still bearing the title Duke of Palma. They claim its because of the longer planned strenghening of the core family, strictly dividing family and institution ... dont you believe it!

http://www.vanitatis.com/casas-reale...tancias-22607/

People will still associate Inaki with casareal and at least I think this comes far too late and will only be seen as casareal trying deflect from their own involvement (King, Cristina) because these days its getting too hot in the kitchen.

I am curious if this action was only sanctioned by the King and what the rest of the family will think of it (apart from the Asturias of course). How long will it take until Sofia will be undermining this stragety and be seen in public with the Urdangarin family.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:52 AM
Royal Highness

I feel most sorry for all of the king's grandchildren. I'm sure behind the scenes the tension can be cut with a knife around this subject. Plus, for four of them, it's their father who's in the thick of it, and then they go to school and face their peers and the parents of the peers, they look at the media. Cristina's older two are old enough and their peers are old enough to know what is going on. That's a very rough deal for two teen/pre-teen boys.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:09 AM
Heir Presumptive

Duke of Marmalade, I agree with you. But just for clarify some facts: Iñaki can´t be denied the title of Duke of Palma because he isn´t Duke of Palma. The title belongs to Cristina, he uses it as his consort, but technically he isn´t and can´t be labelled as "Duke of Palma" for himself. So it´s Cristina who should stop being Duchess of Palma, something unlikely to happen IMO unless she is imputed on the trial (and I fear that isn´t going to happen any time soon).
And whatever happens, she won´t stop being Infanta of Spain, because that´s a title that is granted at the time of the birth and you keep it lifetime.
So I think that appart him from the official events and from the "official" Royal Family is as far as they can get.

GracieGiraffe, the kids are the worst part of this story. I really feel sorry for them, that´s a thing they will have to deal with all their lifes. I can imagine it´s no fun that someone call your father a thief. When I see pictures of the eldest one, he totally breaks my heart, he looks so sad nowadays
He´s old enough to understand what´s going on. And his classmates and friends are old enough as well to make some hurting comments. It´s just so sad for me, those kids are delighful, and whatever their parents have done, it´s certainly not their fault

Proud admirer and supporter of the Princess of Asturias, Viana and Gerona (2005 - ) :)
Old 01-26-2013, 12:42 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANNIE_S View Post

GracieGiraffe, the kids are the worst part of this story. I really feel sorry for them, that´s a thing they will have to deal with all their lifes. I can imagine it´s no fun that someone call your father a thief. When I see pictures of the eldest one, he totally breaks my heart, he looks so sad nowadays
He´s old enough to understand what´s going on. And his classmates and friends are old enough as well to make some hurting comments. It´s just so sad for me, those kids are delighful, and whatever their parents have done, it´s certainly not their fault

Absolutely agree the Palma kids are stuck right bang in the middle of all this,they never asked to be ostracised from the core family and having to live in Washington DC for 3-4 years.

I feel very sorry for them and the Queen who's heart must be broken!
Old 01-26-2013, 01:48 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
Absolutely agree the Palma kids are stuck right bang in the middle of all this,they never asked to be ostracised from the core family and having to live in Washington DC for 3-4 years.

I feel very sorry for them and the Queen who's heart must be broken!
Perhaps their stay in Washing DC was a respite from their life in the spotlight. The family will perhaps look back at the stay overseas with lots of great memories. They could move around freely without anyone pestering them. Most children that have had a chance to go to school in another country have gained new friends and a different perspective on their own lives. I would not look at their stay in DC as ...having to live...
Old 01-26-2013, 01:57 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
I am curious if this action was only sanctioned by the King and what the rest of the family will think of it (apart from the Asturias of course). How long will it take until Sofia will be undermining this stragety and be seen in public with the Urdangarin family.
I certainly hope the Queen will be seen in public with the Urdangarin family. No matter what happens in the legal case they are still family. If the Queen is going to pretend that the Urdangarin family can only be seen behind closed doors then the Spanish royal family is disturbingly dysfunctional. To maintain close family ties is even more crucial in times like these and it does not mean that anyones illegal actions are condoned.

Besides, it appears it is only the co-defendent that has threatened with making emails public. I would guess Inaki has behind the scene documents as well. The King may be advised to not be too harsh on his son-in-law. His daughter is being kept out of this mess but that is starting to seem very suspicious.

Tags
corruption, iñaki urdangarín, infanta cristina, scandal