The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal Family of Spain > The Duke and Duchess of Palma de Mallorca and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-04-2012, 03:52 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleio View Post
I think the relationship was already bad between them before Iñaki started his businesses.
Inaki started Noos in 2003, when he became the Vice President of the Spanish Olympic Committee, the press somehow got a hold on his tax return and it already showed his business income, I remember at that time, some journalists already were not in favor of royals doing business. Likely lula said, the Asturias used to visit Cristina and her family in Barcelona, the last time was Miguel's birthday in June 2006. Felipe was the first to notice the irregularities of Inaki's business, it finally got validated after the report from the King's legal counselor. Afterwards their relation had turned old. I think Letizia likely had no personal relation with Cristina like many in-laws out there, she was hanging out with Cristina because Felipe wanted to. Once the close between Felipe and Cristina no longer existed, likely there was nothing going on between Letizia and Cristina, very normal among in-laws, royals are no exception.
I heard Felipe and Elena had never been close. Letizia had never met Elena until Sofia's birthday concert after the engagement.

Old 01-04-2012, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnaK View Post
Inaki started Noos in 2003, when he became the Vice President of the Spanish Olympic Committee, the press somehow got a hold on his tax return and it already showed his business income, I remember at that time, some journalists already were not in favor of royals doing business. Likely lula said, the Asturias used to visit Cristina and her family in Barcelona, the last time was Miguel's birthday in June 2006. Felipe was the first to notice the irregularities of Inaki's business, it finally got validated after the report from the King's legal counselor. Afterwards their relation had turned old. I think Letizia likely had no personal relation with Cristina like many in-laws out there, she was hanging out with Cristina because Felipe wanted to. Once the close between Felipe and Cristina no longer existed, likely there was nothing going on between Letizia and Cristina, very normal among in-laws, royals are no exception.
I heard Felipe and Elena had never been close. Letizia had never met Elena until Sofia's birthday concert after the engagement.

If so...Why the RF did not address the problem in a better way? It seems they wanted to hide everything.

Old 01-04-2012, 04:08 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Likely lula said, the Asturias used to visit Cristina and her family in Barcelona, the last time was Miguel's birthday in June 2006.
They were "all smiles" in January 2008 at Inaki's Bday in Barcelona, only a fake attempt to play "happy family" then, including by Felipe?
Rex Features - Photographic press agency and picture library
Old 01-04-2012, 04:16 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyW View Post
If so...Why the RF did not address the problem in a better way? It seems they wanted to hide everything.
Felipe's voice hadn't been heard at the beginning. I think it had a lot to do with Cristina who had always been a fiery supporter of her hubby and JC had too much trust on his daughter who had always been seen as an educated and smart woman (thus nobody believes Cristina didn't know anything about her hubby's business). When the legal counselor did the investigation in 2006, too late, the problem was already there.
Old 01-04-2012, 04:24 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
They were "all smiles" in January 2008 at Inaki's Bday in Barcelona, only a fake attempt to play "happy family" then, including by Felipe?
Rex Features - Photographic press agency and picture library
Inaki's 40th birthday was a family event, not a personal event for Felipe visiting the Palma family on Miguel's birthday in 2006, absence would raise suspicions IMO. I believe over the years, JC had wanted everyone to behave normally in public events since he pretty much wanted to keep as quiet as possible on Inaki's business. Not much press the last 6 years on the scandals, nobody knew Cristina was the board member of Noos, her secretary was the treasurer (until now), I bet it had something to do with JC IMO.
Old 01-04-2012, 04:26 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

Latin American Herald Tribune - Witnesses in Spain Probe Say They Couldn’t Refuse Royal In-Law
Old 01-04-2012, 05:03 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
The salary in a private company has a ceiling (200k-300k max), especially when others are doing you a favor. With a fixed upper middle class salary, you can't live like a millionaire, perhaps can't even afford a big house in one of the best locations in Barcelona.
For those who are interested, there is a separate thread about the luxury Palma House, people were already stunned back then how they could afford such an expensive property. Now we know why.Cristina and Iñaki's House
Old 01-04-2012, 05:36 AM

It will take years to restore the image of the royal house and probably it will never be the same. If they want to do that they would need to address their internal problems and try to work them out.
Old 01-04-2012, 05:58 AM
Imperial Majesty

Duke, simply I believe that in 2008 there was an approximation, more than one year had passed and probably the things calmed down. That year the queen, Letizia and Leonor also they went to Miguel's birthday, and they did not posed for the photo.

I believe that it is normal that to the House of the King there was coming information about Iñaki's business, and that in some moment were starting worrying and stopping it.

This one looks like story of ambition, pride and perfidies.

Iñaki wanted to gain money and did not have many scruples in the way of doing it. Probably he was thinking that he was more brilliant and intelligent than really was, and when he saw that the doors were opening him instead of being prudent, he tried to take advantage of everything what could. For my one of his big mistakes, it is not to have had the astuteness of seeing that to enter business with public administrations was a really dangerous area.

I can not understand the attitude of the Infanta Cristina, and the Secretary Carlos Garcia Revenga ... their duty was to ensure that Inaki activities were adequate, and left him to act without questions.

But for me the most incredible thing is that after the king forced him to stop Noos, that they look for a job very well paid in Telefónica ... Iñaki continued working with Noos, and what is worse with a foundation created with the same partners that they used to commit fraud.

Not only he has been ambitious and imprudent ... he has been absolutely disloyal ignoring and disobeying the orders of the House. I believe that still today, he thinks that he did the correct thing, and that everything was legal and suitable, and as consequence he has not acted like they were asking him.

I believe that the Family, and I would say that specially the Queen, they were thinking that Iñaki was going to act with more common sense, and they trusted in his word. But over the weeks and publication of all reports, doubts have begun. Queen's face on the day the press publieshed the theme of the foundation for disabled children was terrible.
Old 01-04-2012, 08:39 AM
Aristocracy

lula, I had no idea that the relationship between Elena and Felipe was so cold. I guess it's normal if you've got two sisters to be closer to one of them. That's normal, I think. But as I said, before they all started to get married, in all the family pictures they played the happy ones and they all seemed to be a very tied family. I remember all those pictures every summer in Mallorca: they seemed to be so tied...
donnaK, I had never heard before what you say that Letizia met Elena after the engagement. If that's true, I think it's terrible.
The more I know about them, the more astonished I am. I think I've read too many Hola magazines were everything is wonderful and perfect!
Old 01-04-2012, 09:54 AM
Imperial Majesty

Kleio, is not terrible, is what happens in the majority of the families. Every person has different lives, friendships or interests ... and depending on it there is more or less relation. One thing is not having daily contact, or make your life because the interests or friends do not match ... and another that at Christmas, summer holidays, birthday or family meeting normally you can have a good time, especially when there are children.

I did not say that Elena and Prince had a bad relationship, all people remember the tears of the infanta in the Olympics. But there is more difference in age, went to different schools, different friends, hobbies... Cristina and Felipe just connected more.

Your you can look in this forum at all the Royal Families, they coincide in official and family acts ... but out of it the images that exist of them together in vacations, or in a restaurant, or doing shopping together are few.
Old 01-04-2012, 10:47 AM

If things continue getting worse, would it be possible that the king decides to renew the RF, abdicating in favor of his son?
Old 01-04-2012, 10:52 AM
Imperial Majesty

Iñaki Urdangarín at Washington airport.

INFORMATIVOS | Sociedad - Primeras imágenes de Urdangarin tras su imputación - Ver imágenes

According to the press, he traveled to London where he could meet with his lawyer. Other reports say that his destiny is Vitoria to visit his family (his father has been quite ill in recent years).
Old 01-04-2012, 11:00 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyW View Post
If things continue getting worse, would it be possible that the king decides to renew the RF, abdicating in favor of his son?
In my opinion, people do not blame JC for what happened, recently he acted swiftly and clearly by cutting out Inaki from royal activities, distancing the royal house from him, he indirectly mentioned Inakis wrongdoing in his annual speech and got some applause from the new parliament.

I do not think that people consider JC an old fool and his son as gods gift to monarchy. Whether Felipes boots are big enough or he is shrewd enough for the position in the long run only time will tell.
Old 01-04-2012, 11:47 AM

I dont think Felipe is better than JC. They are very different people even if they are father and son...the question is..will JC popularity survive to all the problems being caused by his son in law. We will see...i hope it does as he has worked very hard all his life, to get ruined by gold diggers.
Old 01-04-2012, 12:58 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Iñaki Urdangarín leaves Washington
Iñaki Urdangarín sale de Washington

Google Google Translate
Old 01-06-2012, 04:40 AM
Royal Highness

Only time will tell...
Old 01-06-2012, 06:26 AM
Courtier

Inaki's former business investigated in a corruption case

What I understand is that there is a huge anger in Spain about the couple.
A letter was sent to the Royal House asking for the renunciation of the infanta of her position in the order of succession, that the infanta will give up all her titles There were also people asking that after conviction the couple will be stripped of of their nationality, go in exile and never have any contact with the Royal Family anymore.
There are people claiming that the children should be taken away from their parents because of the bad example they gave them.
Old 01-06-2012, 06:46 AM
Courtier

Maybe a trend in Europe. Asking some dutch people: they would also ask for the same measures if one Royal would do the same things.

Times have changed since the Lockheed problems of Prince Bernhard
Old 01-06-2012, 06:49 AM
Imperial Majesty

Sometines people say many stupid things.

I think many people agree that if her husband is convicted the Infanta Cristina will have to do something. She was also indirectly involved in
his business. Renounce to official activities, the title of Duchess of Palma or her rights of succession.

The rest of what you say is totally absurd or illegal. In Europe, in the 21st century, the exile doesn´t exist.

Tags
corruption, iñaki urdangarín, infanta cristina, scandal