The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal Family of Spain > The Duke and Duchess of Palma de Mallorca and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-20-2014, 11:13 AM
Heir Presumptive

I have read what Hola said about this and mucht of the conversation between Cristina and the juez ended up "I don't know , "I didn't knew, I cannot remember"

Old 02-20-2014, 12:32 PM
Imperial Majesty

Princess Cristina: 182 “I don’t knows” and 55 “I don’t recalls”

Princess Cristina: 182

Official court transcript

http://ep00.epimg.net/descargables/2...73b1237a81.pdf

Old 02-20-2014, 01:15 PM
Nobility

Such convenient amnesia
Even if there's enough evidence to convict her, I really doubt any judge in Spain would do that, Iñaki might end up taking all the blame but not her.
Old 02-20-2014, 01:29 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
How an ideal couple
How an ideal couple’s life went to hell

Officially, the marriage of Princess Cristina and Iñaki Urdangarin was an idyllic union

But the Nóos inquiry court papers paint a very different picture

Interesting article on the Inaki/Cristina history and the relationship with Letizia.
Thank you for sharing this link. I had read all of the comments and whatever news about this case written in the newspapers in America (not much) but this article was the most informative. Now I understand what the case is about.

I do hope things turn out well for all involved but if Inaki did obtain funds illegally, he should be punished. I hope Christina is spared any jail time, for the sake of the children.

That's all I have to say on this. Again, thank you Duke for the link to that article.
Old 02-20-2014, 01:32 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by lula View Post
Princess Cristina: 182 “I don’t knows” and 55 “I don’t recalls”

Princess Cristina: 182

Official court transcript

http://ep00.epimg.net/descargables/2...73b1237a81.pdf
Oh, gawd.... if I had a dime for every time I heard a witness under oath say "I don't know" I could pay the Spanish people back myself. What's even more funny is the sudden detail they remember when a point is favorable.
Old 02-20-2014, 01:49 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

From Bekia

La Infanta Cristina entró en Aizoon porque se lo sugirió Iñaki Urdangarín y "acepté" - Bekia
Old 02-20-2014, 05:12 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieGiraffe View Post
Oh, gawd.... if I had a dime for every time I heard a witness under oath say "I don't know" I could pay the Spanish people back myself. What's even more funny is the sudden detail they remember when a point is favorable.
nicely highlighted, even though i didn't read the whole document... where did she give lots of detail exactly?
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 02-20-2014, 05:19 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlota View Post
nicely highlighted, even though i didn't read the whole document... where did she give lots of detail exactly?
I'm speaking in general based upon my experience questioning witnesses. When they don't want to give the answer and don't want to lie about it, it's "I don't recall," etc. But then they usually make fools of themselves by giving a lot of detail about things that benefit them. I would not be surprised at all if Cristina follows this pattern.
Old 02-20-2014, 07:11 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieGiraffe View Post
I'm speaking in general based upon my experience questioning witnesses. When they don't want to give the answer and don't want to lie about it, it's "I don't recall," etc. But then they usually make fools of themselves by giving a lot of detail about things that benefit them. I would not be surprised at all if Cristina follows this pattern.
Gracie,
In you experience how do most jurors react to these types of "I don't recall" responses from witnesses?
Old 02-20-2014, 07:28 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
This might be off base but what occurred to me is that it is very possible that Cristina actually doesn't really know much about the financial affairs of her husband. Consider how she was raised. An Infanta of Spain who most likely had "people" that did things for her all her life. Did she really ever have to balance a checkbook, budget the income that she did have and worry about where her money was going and how much things cost? I would seriously doubt that she ever had to look at price tags in her life.

There are millions of women that leave all the financial matters to their husbands (in days gone by it was quite normal for a wife to have a "household allowance") and many well to do couples have financial advisers and managers that take care of the financial aspects and portfolios for them.

Just a few thoughts off the top of my head.
Old 02-20-2014, 07:35 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
This might be off base but what occurred to me is that it is very possible that Cristina actually doesn't really know much about the financial affairs of her husband. Consider how she was raised. An Infanta of Spain who most likely had "people" that did things for her all her life. Did she really ever have to balance a checkbook, budget the income that she did have and worry about where her money was going and how much things cost? I would seriously doubt that she ever had to look at price tags in her life.

There are millions of women that leave all the financial matters to their husbands (in days gone by it was quite normal for a wife to have a "household allowance") and many well to do couples have financial advisers and managers that take care of the financial aspects and portfolios for them.

I had the same thought a few weeks ago. For a number of years, we had our own business. I was out and about with the customers and my husband managed the finances including tax etc. Apart from asking how much was in the bank (regularly), I didn't look at any of the detail

BUT....... once a year, we had to file the VAT Return and Income Tax Returns and I had to sign them off as well and THEN I read every single line as I knew I was as liable as my husband if those returns were wrong. False accounting is a criminal offence.

So I get that she might not have known during a period of time, but she should have known at least once a year. I'm not an accountant but I always knew my responsibilities as a director of a company.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 02-20-2014, 07:38 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
Gracie,
In you experience how do most jurors react to these types of "I don't recall" responses from witnesses?
Much the same way we are....

In closing arguments, you can have a lot of fun pointing to all the things someone just can't recall, gosh darn, and wouldn't you know, it's all inculpatory, while the excultpatory stuff, suddenly they have a photographic memory (or whatever the particular the facts of the case indicate).
Old 02-20-2014, 07:46 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:

If all they have on her is her statements then the "I don't know" routine goes a long way (but methinks there's a reason an Infanta was called to testify beyond let's just do some probing). If they have evidence, then the "I don't know schtick" perhaps is the only answer without making it worse. The best outcome for her if what they have on her is legally insufficient to go forward, and the "I don't knows" was the best strategy - nobody believes it, but it's foolproof.

At least here in the U.S. criminal defendants NEVER have to answer to questioning, and I've seen very few take the stand in their own defense. It's only civil cases that nobody escapes questioning. So I'm curious to see how this plays out in a civil law country, as I'm a lot more familiar with common law countries, which are essentially the English speaking ones.

I'd love to go through a few stacks of documents - in particular some of these emails everyone seems to be talking about.
Old 02-20-2014, 09:16 PM
Heir Presumptive

Interesting, I didn't know they didn't do things "our" way, civil vs criminal.
good point that osipi made about her possibly really not knowing, with her background, knowing older US women with whom that pretense would be perfectly plausible and also younger very spoiled women, a very good point.
However, I do think she is the "brains" of the couple and don't personally belive it for a minute. I have been following the srf since 1982 and almost knocked over the Queen in Nyc a few years later by accident. BTW she is MUCH more beautiful in person.
Old 02-22-2014, 08:46 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:

The tax fraud and money laundering of Aizoon had been going on for years, way past Inaki's official tenure in Noos. If Cristina didn't know the financial affairs of her husband before 2006, after the King forced Inaki to leave Noos, she should have known the irregularities of Noos since everyone in the family knew after 2006. It's a fact that she continued supporting her husband against the opposing voice (her father and brother) in the family, continued using the credit card with Noos money (even after they moved to DC), signing documents without looking the contents (according to herself), it speaks volumes, thus most people believe they were business partners, at least she was complicit in her husband's business rather than an innocent housewife who blindly trusted her husband.
Old 03-05-2014, 10:06 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Fines for Princess Cristina
Böter för prinsessan Cristina | Svensk Damtidning

https://translate.google.com.tr/tran...ina%2F&act=url
Old 03-07-2014, 12:20 AM
Courtier

Quote:

I think the potential for a combination of naiveté and entitlement in royal children, especially children who aren't the heirs, is a real problem. Christina grew up seeing her family get special privileges and favours that they didn't work for. None of them likely spent too much time questioning why they got these perks or where they came from. And for a long time it seems that by and large the Spanish public and press were very accepting and uncritical of the lifestyle their royal family was leading. Additionally, the Spanish royals seem quite traditional to me and it's possible Christina, as a woman, wasn't given any sort of education in business or finances, the expectation being that the royal financial advisors and/or her husband and his people would take care of all that.

I agree with cepe's comment that when you enter into a position of responsibility, (such as being a member of a board), you need have a good idea of where things stand with the organization, both ethically and financially. And ideally, every member of a family would have a good idea of their personal finances. But that's often not the way things work.

I think Christina was naive, overly trusting of the people surrounding her, including Inaki, and way too accustomed to having life fall nicely into place around her without having to expend any effort. But that doesn't necessarily mean she purposely acted unethically or criminally.
Old 03-07-2014, 06:35 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

from hola

La Audiencia de Palma rechaza como prueba los correos electrónicos de Urdangarin | Realeza | Noticias hola.com
Old 03-11-2014, 06:52 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

From Hola

José Castro rechaza imputar a Urdangarin por blanqueo de capitales | Realeza | Noticias hola.com
Old 04-04-2014, 05:46 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Duchess of Palma was recorded in court

Un informe señala que la autora del vídeo de la declaración de la Infanta Cristina sería una funcionaria del juzgado - Bekia

Tags
corruption, iñaki urdangarín, infanta cristina, scandal