The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal Family of Spain > The Duke and Duchess of Palma de Mallorca and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-08-2013, 07:11 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelo View Post
Corruption in this family seems to be getting deeper and deeper. This whole scandal is getting stinkier and stinkier. I think it's time I go back to reading just the Fashion forum here!
But Shelo- the fashion forums can be brutal!

Old 04-09-2013, 12:05 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Doesn't it seem VERY convenient that a job offer from Qatar has arrived, of all times, now?
Valero Rivera has been offered 800,000 Euro as head coach of the Qatar national handball team, yet is leaving his job as coach of the Spanish team with regrets. Some feel that Valero Rivera is accompanying Urdangarin to Qatar, not vice versa. According to La Vanguardia, Urdangarin will be part of the coaching team of Valero Rivera.

However, TV3 says the Duke of Palma will work in organizing the 2015 World Men's Handball Championship to be held in Qatar and will be hired directly by the government of the emirate. Perhaps the Emir of Qatar, the absolute monarch of the country, is doing the Duke of Palma a favor which is not unreasonable given the good relationship that he has with King Juan Carlos I.

Old 04-09-2013, 06:23 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Urdangarin expected to sign a contract for two years with the Qatar Handball Federation as per Hola!

Urdangarin espera firmar un contrato de 2 años con la Federación de Balonman | Realeza | Noticias hola.com
Old 04-09-2013, 06:55 AM
Heir Presumptive

would it change anything in his situation ?
Old 04-09-2013, 07:05 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by rominet09 View Post
would it change anything in his situation ?
Not sure,but I'm sure the salary will come in handy and with him out of the country it might take some of the media pressure off his kids.
Old 04-09-2013, 01:41 PM
Nobility

A friend just emailed me this article which denies the King had any influence on the job offer from Qatar. I don't know if this is a credible source but it's another interesting twist.

Royal Household denies king
Old 04-09-2013, 01:51 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
Not sure,but I'm sure the salary will come in handy and with him out of the country it might take some of the media pressure off his kids.
Well, the salary will come in handy for what must be simply massive legal bills for both himself and Cristina. I would assume that the salary can also be garnished to help pay that bond he was require to post, but did not.
Old 04-09-2013, 02:26 PM
Courtier

Quote:
A friend just emailed me this article which denies the King had any influence on the job offer from Qatar. I don't know if this is a credible source but it's another interesting twist.

Royal Household denies king
Come on, what else do you expect them to say..
And I dont get whats the big "twist" in that..
Old 04-09-2013, 04:37 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkrish View Post
Come on, what else do you expect them to say..
And I dont get whats the big "twist" in that..
I meant twist in the sense that everything in this whole saga seems manipulated and twisted.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:28 PM
Courtier

Come on Shelo, you have to read between the lines.
You cannot expect the Casa Real to say "HM has graciously arranged for Inaki to be rehabilitated with Qatar team" right..They will obviously say Rf doesnt have anything to do with it.
And BTW I dont think there is anything which will make you feel manipulated or cheated.
Just his job was arranged. Nothing more, right..
His judicial process will go on regularly as per procedure. And he will face the judgement and consequences, whatever they may be.
Afterall, this is not some murder where you cant let loose the accused till he is completely acquitted..
Old 04-09-2013, 10:35 PM
Courtier

If true, I think Inaki taking the job in Qatar would be a good thing for all involved. Did the King influence him getting the offer? Maybe; at the very least I doubt the offer would have been extended without some sort of contact between the Spanish and Qatari royal courts. I don't see why that matters - this is a job that Inaki is actually qualified to do, it will enable him to earn money and will get him out of the country the majority of the time, thereby distancing him from the Spanish royal court. He'll still come back to Spain for any court appearances, etc, but hopefully him being abroad will tamp down on the more sensational, witch hunt aspects of his situation.
Old 04-10-2013, 05:48 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Inaki advises the King of his decision to work as a coach in Qatar

from hola.com

Urdangarin comunica al Rey su decisión de trabajar como entrenador en Qatar
Old 04-10-2013, 07:19 AM
Heir Presumptive

I can believe Inaki got the job in Qatar on merit a heck of a lot more than I believed that he got a €1.4m-per-year job with Telefonica in Washington D.C on merit. At least he has legitimate experience and expertise in handball. From what I can see he got a top job in communications with Telefonica with no experience of the industry whatsoever.
Old 04-10-2013, 12:15 PM
Heir Apparent

So Infanta Cristina will not give evidence as charged on 27 April, the judge suspended his hearing following the appeal by the anti-corruption prosecutor, who sees no evidence for that is imputed.
It seams a king's favor...
Old 04-10-2013, 01:15 PM
Courtier

Really? SO Christina is not coming to court on 27th?
Old 04-10-2013, 01:56 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

It would appear Cristina will not appear on 27th as a suspect. However, since her appearance it suspended and not cancelled, it is possible she will appear at a later date, unless of course her attorney's are successful in their claim Cristina's appearance as a suspect is unwarranted. Even then, she might still be called as a witness.
Old 04-10-2013, 02:26 PM
Nobility

So the King still does have some influence (or friends with influence).

JC comes from a generation and level of society where scandals could be hidden away from public view. It is not a surprise this is how he is dealing with this scandal. What has changed, however, is the rest of the world- many societies now demand transparency.
Old 04-10-2013, 02:33 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

JC comes from a generation and level of society where scandals could be hidden away from public view. It is not a surprise this is how he is dealing with this scandal. What has changed, however, is the rest of the world- many societies now demand transparency.
IF and its a big IF, the King did try and use his influence I don't see that he is doing anything that any other parent, regardless of their level of society, might not try and do to protect their child. Of course there is of now absolutely NO PROOF that the King tried to influence the prosecutor in this case.
Old 04-10-2013, 03:41 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:

What proof can you cite that Juan Carlos or any of his friends is influencing this case? Because that's a big allegation-in and out of court.
Old 04-10-2013, 03:45 PM
Majesty
TRF Author

I think the Palma family needs money and the King pulled some strings. He is still the King and a lot of his long-time buddys are still 'in business' and part of the elite, in Spain and worldwide.

By the way, this is a job that Inaki should have pursued from the beginning, instead of relying on nepotism and work in highly paid jobs he was never remotely qualified for.

Tags
corruption, iñaki urdangarín, infanta cristina, scandal