The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal Family of Spain > The Duke and Duchess of Palma de Mallorca and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-13-2011, 06:48 AM
Heir Presumptive

What will be the next legal steps of justice for Inaki

Old 12-13-2011, 11:39 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by lula View Post
About the princess opens up many questions. For years, yellow or ultra sectors of the press have attacked her, saying she was going to end the monarchy or they had poor family relationships because of her. With this case, many people wonder if there was any truth in these stories, or on the contrary, the princess was simply the most prudent and she saw reality more clearly.
Could well be that the Inaki case played a major part in the poor family relations, but why would Cristina's anger be directed at Letizia and not at the King or Felipe? Letizia will only have had little say in these issues and it seems that the King was already aware of the mess, closed down the business and got Inaki out of the way, he didnt seem to hesitate to act, no matter what other family members had to say or not to say.

In hindsight it becomes now clear why there was the charm offensive over the summer, playing united happy family on holiday. They knew they couldnt afford any more strain, being aware of the looming image desaster.

Old 12-13-2011, 11:45 AM
Heir Presumptive

Exit Duke of Lugo , perhaps Exit Duke of Palma, Welcome Duke of Alba !
Old 12-13-2011, 12:02 PM
Imperial Majesty

Duke, was the press the one that directed it towards the princess and the infanta, but nobody was speaking about Iñaki or about the prince when the distance was the same
Old 12-13-2011, 02:04 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Iñaki does not have a noble title. The king granted the title of Duchess of Palma to the infanta Cristina, Iñaki only uses it as her husband. Only there are two options in order that Iñaki loses the use of the title, that the infanta resigns it or the divorce.

At the moment the Prince and Princess of Asturias are away from this topic. The general opinion is that the prince is the most unfairly harmed by this story because he does his job seriously and this hurts his future.

About the princess opens up many questions. For years, yellow or ultra sectors of the press have attacked her, saying she was going to end the monarchy or they had poor family relationships because of her. With this case, many people wonder if there was any truth in these stories, or on the contrary, the princess was simply the most prudent and she saw reality more clearly.

This case has nothing to do with the poor family relations. If we read the Spanish press we know that the relationship between Letizia and the Infantas was never good, she never got along with the king either. And that is due in part to her temperament, her arrogance and some of her attitudes that are not well seen by the rest of the family. And I don´t mean the yellow press as you call them. Much of the press in Spain has conceiled the family toubles all this years, I don´t know why or which arrangement they have with the RH, but some of them have always spoken and some are starting to speak now.

And I do not believe the family did not suspect about Iñaki´s issues. If he bought such a house for such an amount of money, were all of them looking the other way?
Old 12-13-2011, 05:11 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
Could well be that the Inaki case played a major part in the poor family relations, but why would Cristina's anger be directed at Letizia and not at the King or Felipe? Letizia will only have had little say in these issues and it seems that the King was already aware of the mess, closed down the business and got Inaki out of the way, he didnt seem to hesitate to act, no matter what other family members had to say or not to say.

In hindsight it becomes now clear why there was the charm offensive over the summer, playing united happy family on holiday. They knew they couldnt afford any more strain, being aware of the looming image desaster.
I don't think Cristina's attitude towards her brother (Felipe) was anything different from hers to Letizia. The press noticed that they used to have a close relation and turned cold suddenly. Felipe had never supported Inaki's business, he moved away from them, it's not a surprise if Cristina thought Letizia had a big influence over her brother, just as Letizia thought Inaki was not alone in his shaddy business, his wife knew something and had always supported him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosana View Post
This case has nothing to do with the poor family relations. If we read the Spanish press we know that the relationship between Letizia and the Infantas was never good, she never got along with the king either. And that is due in part to her temperament, her arrogance and some of her attitudes that are not well seen by the rest of the family. And I don´t mean the yellow press as you call them. Much of the press in Spain has conceiled the family toubles all this years, I don´t know why or which arrangement they have with the RH, but some of them have always spoken and some are starting to speak now.

And I do not believe the family did not suspect about Iñaki´s issues. If he bought such a house for such an amount of money, were all of them looking the other way?
Timing wise, it matches exactly. The Asturias and Palms had a close relation at the beginning, it turned cold around the time Inaki's business scandal was known. A certain sector of the press had always been blaming Letizia on everything, her temperament, her arrogance ? How do you know Cristina had a good temper, not arrogant ? She was the one with a sour/angry face at the 2007 photo session in Mallorca (Sofia is not a direct heiress like Leonor, she is not the first grandchild like Forilan, but still she is HRH Infanta of Spain, what's the deal of doing a photo session for her ?). Cristina and her hubby thought they were above the law, could do anything they wanted, nobody dared to question ? In fact, what they did is damaging her parents' life long hard work and dediction and her brother's future. As lula said, the table has turned now in the press. The TV programs had started to talk about the real reasons behind the cold relation between the two sisters.
Anyway, I don't see bad relations between Elena/JC and Letizia, in laws don't have to be best friends.
Of course the family knew Inaki's business problem long time ago. With the connection of the royal family, I won't be surprised they knew the problem even before the Balearic financial scandal went public in 2006.
Old 12-13-2011, 06:44 PM
Heir Presumptive

When all is said and done Felipe and Letizia are the next regent couple and the rest of the family will have to decide how they want to behave. If they don't accept being just sibling and in-laws of the King and Queen then they should stay away. Sometimes the dynamics within families make absolutely no sense and royal families are not exempt.
Old 12-13-2011, 09:48 PM
Aristocracy

Location: Somewhere in a hole in the wall town in Wisconsin, United States
Sometimes you don't find out the dirt until it's too late...it wasn't until my grandma died we found out about at $10,000 loan made in her name by her daughter-in-law...(can't even Bring myself to call her aunt)
Old 12-14-2011, 02:39 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnaK View Post
Timing wise, it matches exactly. The Asturias and Palms had a close relation at the beginning, it turned cold around the time Inaki's business scandal was known.
But it also matches with the usual timespan when the gloves come off. It takes some time for new family members to realize the full scale of what is going on, especially in this family, and finally stand up for themselves, what might annoy other members. I dont doubt that the Inaki business case had an impact on relations, but I dont think it was the only reason.

At the end of the day it was JC who shut down the business, not Felipe, not Letizia, and I doubt their support would have had any impact on JC's decision, therefore no reason for Cristina to direct her anger at the Asturias.

Furthermore, at a Mallorca dinner in 2006 or 2007, cant recall which one, where Cristina was openly hostile towards Letizia, at the same time JC pinched Cristina and winked at her and she was smiling back at him. I have yet to see a pictures where JC and Cristina dont seem friendly - and Cristina would have had any reason be angry with her father - and unlike Sofia, JC is not known for being a good actor, pretending to like somebody when he doesnt. There was never any visible friction between these two, unlike between Cristina and her SIL.
Old 12-14-2011, 03:23 AM
Heir Presumptive

Duke, Felipe didn't have a power to remove Inaki's business (you are right), but he had moved away from his dear sister after Inaki's business problem, once very close relation between brother and sister didn't exist anymore that alone could sadden and anger Cristina. I would say Cristina's attitude towards F&L had become cold, not necessarily hostile in public (sometimes picture could be misleading), but who knows in private. My point was that once this close bond had been broken, some small, not so important things (for example whether to hold a photo session in Mallorca 2007) could easily cause frictions between them.

About JC, he punished his son-in-law, shut down Inaki's business, but he still helped them in just about everything else. If Cristina got mad at her Daddy, she wouldn't even have a meal ticket IMO. Don't you find it very strange that 5 long years, there was little talk about Inaki pocketing millions of public money in the press until the prosecutor searched the offices of Noos ? Nobody knew Cristina was the board member of Noos, her private secretary was the treasurer until now ? Daddy had been helping them until he couldn't. So the media criticism on JC this time didn't come out of nowhere.

Fortunately for the Asturias, their distant relation with the Palmas has become their saving grace this time.
Old 12-14-2011, 04:10 AM
Imperial Majesty

Duke, I believe that a deeper analysis is necessary. Precisely the superficial analyses have gone to considering as exemplary, those that were not.

First, I believe that the infanta Cristina has taken advantage of the circumstances. She was the third one in the succession, which had more freedom and the problems that she could cause were secondary. She went to live far from the family, to another city... so in these circumstances probably when her parents saw her they were consenting her more. We are speaking of a few years in which the House of the King had to handle the wedding of the Prince and the impact of Letizia's arrival, and later the increasingly crisis of Elena's marriage... probably in that moment Cristina was appearing as the perfect daughter.

I also think that when they forced Urdangarín to leave Noos it was because there were rumors of which the things were not done well, and probably it created tensions. And I think that the king was ingenuous on having thought that the infanta and Urdangarín were telling the truth about his business, because if really he knew the dimension of this case, he would have separated them before.

About Letizia. When the wedding was announced, the infanta Cristina was the person who for nearness was going to advise Letizia, but it seems that the two had different visions of the things, and who ended up by helping the princess was Cristina de Borbón - Dos Sicilias. I believe that the infanta wanted that Letizia was like she ... and Letizia saw that eventually it was going to harm her, because she was a plebeian newcomer to the Monarchy and not an infanta of birth. The engament ring was like that of Cristina, she dressed Armani's trouser suit in her engament as Cristina (and she was criticized because of it), the designer of her wedding dress was the one that Cristina had rejected... I think Letizia was aware of the reality and I believe that the infanta never excused it to her.

Members of a monarchy, as anyone with money and power, live in their particular world... and often they do not see what exists around and when someone shows it to them, it is difficult to accept it. Only that explains Urdangarín and the Infanta thought they could act unethically and in the end all would be hidden and they will live happily with the money.

I think in that sense Princess Letizia has been very good for the prince, but probably uncomfortable at times for other family members. There are commoners that when they come to a Royal Family completely disconnected from their previous life... Princess Letizia is not, she wants to remain connected to the real world ... her family is a normal family and is still very important in her life, her friends remain as before the wedding... if anyone could see the consequences of some things was her, because first she was just arrived and saw the things from the outside and then had a clear vision of the real world.
Old 12-14-2011, 04:22 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

God, if this is true, what was he thinking???

Urdangarin used a foundation for disabled children to transfer money to Belize
Urdangarin usó una fundación para niños discapacitados al evadir dinero a Belice | España | Accesible | elmundo.es
Old 12-15-2011, 07:48 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carminha Stalker
If they are still investigating him, it has taken them YEARS.....
... and it probably will take them a few more years, meaning the topic will not settle and continue to harm the institution.

For the first time, El Mundo mentions Infanta Cristina together with her husband:

The company of the Infanta and Urdangarin fabricated invoices
http://www.elmundo.es/elmundo/2011/12/15/espana/1323943858.html

Nobody in Spain will believe that Cristina had no clue of hubby's business.

No way she can participate in the next events, eg Opening of Xth Legislature, that would be shameful.
Old 12-16-2011, 12:17 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
... and it probably will take them a few more years, meaning the topic will not settle and continue to harm the institution.
I disagree. I think within a few short months Iñaki will be charged. I have mentioned before that the Spanish justice moves slowly but implacably. This investigation started in 2006 - there is a reason why "so many leaks" are finally reaching the papers. The evidence is there to charge him ....and it won't come as a shock to the nation. Lets say that it's being "announced"

I agree with you however that few Spaniards believe in Cristina's innocence. It's a bit hard to swallow that an intelligent woman with a political science degree from a Madrid public university, didn't know where money was coming from to buy such expensive, and extensive, real estate portfolio. Spaniards are not idiots.
Old 12-17-2011, 06:02 AM
Aristocracy

I didn`t have time to follow the scandal, so could someone tell me if there was any official response of the Zarzuela? I`ve read that Inaki had been banned from royal activities, is it official? I wonder if Cristina will be banned too, it seems that people don`t believe in her innocence.

I feel sorry for the SRF, the Kings and the Princes don`t deserve this... It`s said that every family has its black sheep, now we know who the black sheep of the SRF is.
Old 12-17-2011, 10:19 AM
Imperial Majesty

The House of the King advised Urdangarin to leave Noos

A legal external adviser to Zarzuela recommended to the duke of Palma to choose to look for a professional activity as an employee, to being possible out of Spain

La Casa del Rey aconsej a Urdangarin desvincularse de Noos - ABC.es

Google Traductor
Old 12-17-2011, 01:08 PM
Imperial Majesty

Spain’s refreshing royal scandal | Iberosphere | Spain News and Portugal News - Information and Analysis
Old 12-17-2011, 04:15 PM
Courtier

Quote:
The House of the King advised Urdangarin to leave Noos

A legal external adviser to Zarzuela recommended to the duke of Palma to choose to look for a professional activity as an employee, to being possible out of Spain

La Casa del Rey aconsej a Urdangarin desvincularse de Noos - ABC.es

Google Traductor
What good did they think getting him out of Spain was going to do? If they advised him to leave his job at the time then they must have known not all of Inaki's activities were entirely above board, and that he'd eventually be held to account no matter where he was living.
Old 12-17-2011, 04:59 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by camelot23ca View Post
What good did they think getting him out of Spain was going to do? If they advised him to leave his job at the time then they must have known not all of Inaki's activities were entirely above board, and that he'd eventually be held to account no matter where he was living.
Iñaki liked the business, probably out of Spain he was going to have more freedom and to cause fewer problems. On the other hand, if in some moment there was some problem, the children would be more protected out of Spain.
Old 12-18-2011, 06:19 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Iñaki liked the business, probably out of Spain he was going to have more freedom and to cause fewer problems. On the other hand, if in some moment there was some problem, the children would be more protected out of Spain.
And probably thinking than the further away, the easier to deal with the issue. There is no win/lose for the SRF in this affair - there is only a somewhat damage limitation to stop affecting the rest of the RF.

Tags
corruption, iñaki urdangarín, infanta cristina, scandal