The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal Family of Spain > The Duke and Duchess of Palma de Mallorca and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-03-2013, 10:42 PM
Courtier

Well, we do see it in Spain. Not everybody, of course, but many many people. Specially the younger generations (recent polls show that nearly 60% of the under 30 are against the monarchy system)

You must have in mind that a huge majority of spaniards have the conviction that the king was a partner in Iñaki's misgivings (several of Iñaki's busines mails talk about the king and her lady friend Corinna helping him out).

In the 21th century, monarchy has only a simbolic value. And to keep that simbolic value the members of the royal family have to remain spotless, they must have a special aura of morality and stability.

And the Borbon family has loose it once again. I'd say there is a very high probability to see them packing for the 4th time in the last 2 centuries. Not today and not tomorrow, but I don't see them in the throne in 10 years time.
The wave of an opposing public opinion is growing day by day.

Old 04-03-2013, 10:50 PM
Royal Highness

http://news.yahoo.com/spanish-kings-...121107141.html

Old 04-03-2013, 10:51 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by trepstrep View Post

And the Borbon family has loose it once again. I'd say there is a very high probability to see them packing for the 4th time in the last 2 centuries. Not today and not tomorrow, but I don't see them in the throne in 10 years time.
The wave of an opposing public opinion is growing day by day.
Honestly, the only thing that might save them is the fact that the Asturias family has been known to be at odds with Inaki and Christina for so long and the fact that they aren't involved in this at all.
Old 04-03-2013, 11:06 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHHermione View Post
Honestly, the only thing that might save them is the fact that the Asturias family has been known to be at odds with Inaki and Christina for so long and the fact that they aren't involved in this at all.
You're probably right. If the king abdicates and Cristina and Iñaki get a fair sentence, Felipe and Letizia do have a chance.

Thanks to Letizia, I might say. If the press rumors are true it was her who made Felipe stay appart from Cristina and Iñaki when she learned what they were about. If it is true, the family owes her big time.
Old 04-03-2013, 11:26 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by trepstrep View Post
You're probably right. If the king abdicates and Cristina and Iñaki get a fair sentence, Felipe and Letizia do have a chance.

Thanks to Letizia, I might say. If the press rumors are true it was her who made Felipe stay appart from Cristina and Iñaki when she learned what they were about. If it is true, the family owes her big time.
Yup. She put up with a lot of innuendo over the years- that she was unfit for the role, that she was causing family difficulties, that she was feuding with Cristina. She was silent throughout, but if the press rumors are true, she did the right thing, distanced her family from them and looked out for her husband and daughter and the best interests of the royal family.

I hope that her efforts are enough to preserve the monarchy when it comes down to it, but you're right- that depends on how everything goes with this case and how the king reacts to it. If he's implicated, he should most certainly abdicate.
Old 04-03-2013, 11:37 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemisia View Post
And how ironic the judge used King Juan Carlos's words from his Christmas address to impute his daughter?

I wish I could say it couldn't be worse for Inaki and Cristina, but unfortunately it can and probably will get much worse. They have already lost, no matter what the judge's eventual decision is. The public found them guilty - and deservingly so.
Ironic indeed.

Look, the only way for a monarchy to survive in the 21st Century IS for everyone to be equal under the laws. The only way now for the SRF to survive is for the public to be completely satisfied that justice was done. And if the public is convinced they are guilty, that doesn't bode well for Inaki and Cristina. These two had better wake up, show some remorse, and come clean for the sake of saving the Spanish taxpayer the vast sums it must cost to prosecute this, and not try and fight the sentence. Time to grow up and show a little integrity. If they do that, they might get some mercy.

Those poor 4 children .... I wish that they had kept them in the U.S.
Old 04-04-2013, 02:43 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieGiraffe View Post
Those poor 4 children .... I wish that they had kept them in the U.S.
Somehow, I don't think that being in the U.S. would have shielded the children as much as you might imagine, especially since they were living in D.C. and not some backwater region that pays no attention to international scandals. The article about Infanta Cristina being called to testify made the front page of Yahoo today and it was one of the top headlines in the World section of Google News. Certainly the children would be subjected to less attention than they are sure to have at home in Spain but I'd wager, if they were still here in the U.S., that every single one of their teachers & school staff as well as most of their classmates' parents/families would know about the investigation and likely be following the story with avid interest.
Old 04-04-2013, 04:15 AM
Royal Highness

As for the children - yes, they are innocent and it must be tough for them. But they not only have problems because of their parents, they have privileges as well and whatever happens to their parents - they have a far better chance in life than most other Spanish children.
Old 04-04-2013, 05:31 AM
Courtier

Just hearing people in the streets you can say that the infanta has a worse image than her husband.
Old 04-04-2013, 05:57 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

The Infanta Cristina wearing dark sunglasses heads off to work as normal

La infanta Cristina lleva con la mayor normalidad posible su imputación en el 'caso Nóos'
Old 04-04-2013, 06:35 AM
Heir Presumptive

I wonder what the "Grandies" of Spain are thinking about this sad and bad story!
Old 04-04-2013, 06:43 AM
Heir Presumptive

Don't you think that the Royal house should made a statement...now we are talking about the King and Queen daugther...
One question...His Inaki still consider the Duke of Palma de Maiorca?
Old 04-04-2013, 06:47 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by biboquinhas View Post
Don't you think that the Royal house should made a statement...now we are talking about the King and Queen daugther...
One question...His Inaki still consider the Duke of Palma de Maiorca?
Inaki was never a Duke,he was refered to by the media as the Duke (Consort) of Palma de Mallorca as he was married to the duchess but he was never awarded any titles in his own right.
Old 04-04-2013, 06:51 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by maria-olivia View Post
I wonder what the "Grandies" of Spain are thinking about this sad and bad story!
I'd imagine that the Grandes de España like everyone else are wondering what else can come out and what further damage will be done.
Old 04-04-2013, 07:43 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieGiraffe View Post
And if the public is convinced they are guilty, that doesn't bode well for Inaki and Cristina. These two had better wake up, show some remorse, and come clean for the sake of saving the Spanish taxpayer the vast sums it must cost to prosecute this, and not try and fight the sentence. Time to grow up and show a little integrity. If they do that, they might get some mercy.
Exactly. We don't know what the sentence will be, the judge is under an incredible amount of pressure, but the public is convinced that they are guilty. By fighting the court they are looking even worst.

Today, I've woken up with the incredible news that the prosecutor has appealed the judge decision! For God's sake, not the defense, but the state prosecutor!!! How crazy is that? And how do they want for the citizens not to think that he' s recieving very high pressures!

It''s not just what they did it's the undignified way they are behaving when discovered that is destroying the family.
Old 04-04-2013, 07:56 AM
Commoner

... ... there is no evidence, only a person who already has evidence of embezzlement, and revenge, incriminates Cristina. Nothing more to ...
Old 04-04-2013, 08:32 AM
Royal Highness

It is always difficult to judge events that happened in a judical system one does not know. Here in Germany, certain parts of a witness' statement cannot be used when the "witness" turns into a "suspect". Each position in a trial or during research for potential prosecution brings along different duties and rights, so the person questioned has to be informed how he is considered by police and prosecution.

I wonder if it is the same in Spain and if so, does that necessarily mean that the infanta is really under suspicion or just a way to inform her of her judical position in this case, so she can take precautions?
Old 04-04-2013, 08:40 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Can please stay on topic,fictitious posts have no place here and will be removed
Old 04-04-2013, 08:43 AM
Courtier

If I was a spaniard I would have been very angry about that scandal
A lot of my children's spanish friends well-educated (or not) don't have any prospect for a job in the future. Those two behave in the same way as those who brought about this crisis.
A grabbling culture!
Old 04-04-2013, 08:54 AM
Courtier

Rumours are sometimes fictitious but they are a reality for those in Spain, who try to understand why members of their royal family behave like that.
What the hell were they thinking about? Are they so blinded or egocentric, focused on their own privileges. No eye for others?

Maybe there is a big kernel of thruth in those street-stories

Tags
corruption, iñaki urdangarín, infanta cristina, scandal