The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal Family of Spain > The Duke and Duchess of Palma de Mallorca and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-23-2013, 03:40 PM
Courtier

I dont think the Royal House (or whatever it is known) should not even respond to such crazy meaningless attention-seeking "calls" to abdicate.. Just read the comments in the Daily Mail article.. It seems there is full-blown corruption at every level in Spain, and politicians all have their own endless charges and cases. No politician has the moral right, leave alone the basic common sense, to call for abdication.

Old 02-23-2013, 03:40 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelo View Post
It doesn't matter who is calling for the king's abdication over this whole mess- the Royal House announced yesterday he will not abdicate.

Spanish King Juan Carlos Denies Plans to Abdicate | HispanicallySpeakingNews.com
They may as well have said "will not abdicate yet."

I am not suggesting he should abdicate, as I don't know his precise dealings in Inaki's business, but I think his abdication is inevitable whether unfair or not.

Sorry if I'm veering off topic - but I think that the King's position and Inaki and now possibly Cristina's legal troubles are inextricably intertwined at this point.

Old 02-23-2013, 03:46 PM
Heir Presumptive

I believe them when they say that he won´t abdicate. But honestly, if he were going to do it, do you believe they would confirm it?

The only polls I´ve found about the matter:
http://www.elperiodico.com/es/encues...ey/44431.shtml
http://www.20minutos.es/encuesta/4935/4/0/
http://www.elconfidencial.com/encues...ndice_887.html
http://encuestas.e-noticies.es/socie...car-63691.html
http://www.publico.es/encuestas/801/...ar-ya-el-rey-#

Proud admirer and supporter of the Princess of Asturias, Viana and Gerona (2005 - ) :)
Old 02-23-2013, 03:56 PM
Courtier

Trust me, he will not abdicate. To do so will be owning up the responsibility, and admitting he is not morally fit to reign the country. He will be known in history, first as the one "who brought corruption into monarchy and was kicked out", and then anything else of his accomplishments will be mentioned.
And you think they will leave it at that if he abdicates?
Will Felipe able to escape the accusations?
You think they will agree that the heir to throne, in the best of his age, has no idea whats going on in his immediate family, and so morally more capable to reign this country?
No no no..It will be just like stirring the hornet's nest..
Old 02-23-2013, 04:08 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkrish View Post
Trust me, he will not abdicate.
And I agree, I said it before.
He will never abdicate, and still I´m pretty sure he won´t die as king.

More polls:

¿Es el momento? La abdicación del rey está por regular y necesitaría ser aprobada por las Cortes

Proud admirer and supporter of the Princess of Asturias, Viana and Gerona (2005 - ) :)
Old 02-23-2013, 04:15 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Trust me, he will not abdicate. To do so will be owning up the responsibility, and admitting he is not morally fit to reign the country. He will be known in history, first as the one "who brought corruption into monarchy and was kicked out", and then anything else of his accomplishments will be mentioned.
And you think they will leave it at that if he abdicates?
Will Felipe able to escape the accusations?
You think they will agree that the heir to throne, in the best of his age, has no idea whats going on in his immediate family, and so morally more capable to reign this country?
No no no..It will be just like stirring the hornet's nest..
Has there been any reason to assume Price Felipe does not know what is going on? It appears he may very well have been much aware and chose to distance himself from his sister and brother-in-law. Prince Felipe may have made a very smart move and is now not suspected of being involved. I believe Prince Felipe will be perfectly capable to assume the role of regent no matter how soon that day comes.
Old 02-23-2013, 04:21 PM
Courtier

Thats the thing which is paining me like hell.
The fact that The King knew (might have, possibly have) whats going on, is confronting my conscience, and though I am vigorously defending him in every post, I think he let me down
Old 02-23-2013, 05:45 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Thats the thing which is paining me like hell.
The fact that The King knew (might have, possibly have) whats going on, is confronting my conscience, and though I am vigorously defending him in every post, I think he let me down
I think he let a lot of people down. JC has had a very checkered life when you think about it - from extreme ups to extreme downs...perhaps the most interesting of the present day monarchs (and not necessarily in a good way) and before I get snagged for going off topic, I will veer back.

As for what anyone knew - we will never know the full extent of who knew what and when with regard to Inaki and Cristina (and I'm going to include Cristina in here from now on because there's no doubt to me she's part of it all). Personally I think that the title of the thread should be changed to encompass a complete discussion on the whole thing - Inaki's Corruption Scandal is too narrow. Perhaps Corruption Scandal Involving Members of the SRF, as the King, Felipe and the future of the monarchy is so inextricably intertwined here.

I hope that some of the Spanish posters here can fill us in on the public's view of the Asturias. I feel Letizia is above reproach, Felipe most likely above reproach, and of course two wonderful little girls who I think are being raised to be an asset to Spain, rather than two self-entitled little royal brats. I suppose the fact that it's my honest believe that Felipe is probably, most likely above reproach is not a good thing, is it? When talking about public opinion on the monarchy, we are not talking about innocent until proven guilty, or guilt beyond a reasonable doubt. Is most likely above reproach good enough? I welcome all posts correcting my view and arguing why Felipe is beyond reproach, because I think he and his wife and daughters are an asset to Spain at the end of the day.
Old 02-23-2013, 07:22 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANNIE_S View Post
The fact that Cristina isn´t even called to testify, while Torres´wife and Cristina´s secretary are, is considered quite offensive for the average Spaniards. She isn´t an popular woman right now
And Cristina used to be the golden girl of the Spanish monarchy,I recall all the chants of 'Cristina,Cristina' from her wedding day in Barcelona.

Its a terrible state of affairs for the Palma Family,those poor kids!
Old 02-23-2013, 07:26 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Carlos Garcia Revenga, Private secretary to the Infantas testifies before judge

Carlos García Revenga, secretario de las Infantas, declara ante el juez
Old 02-23-2013, 08:23 PM
Heir Presumptive

Spain king's son-in-law protects royals in scandal - Yahoo!7
Some info.
Old 02-24-2013, 08:17 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Inaki Urdangarin faces corruption probe

Old 02-24-2013, 12:59 PM
Nobility

Quote:
That's the thing which is paining me like hell.
We don't know what the King knew. Of course, Juan Carlos knew that Inaki had a non-profit business to market sporting events. But that doesn't mean JC was aware of Inaki's alleged tax fraud or profit skimming. Some think that the emails in which Inaki makes reference to the King could just be Inaki boasting or name dropping. Some of the emails show that Inaki was impressed with his "situation" bragging about how good they had it on vacation at Palma saying "you can imagine how comfortable we have been (...) beach, pool, ice cream in the park..."
Old 02-25-2013, 03:00 PM
Majesty
TRF Author

Bad Timing for a Royal Spanish Scandal - Forbes
Old 02-25-2013, 05:06 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
Bad timing indeed,the worst possible timing!
Old 02-25-2013, 05:25 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
From the above article: Comment Now Follow Comments
PAGE 2 OF 2

”She (Letizia) wanted to shine and leaked documents to the press to reveal Urdangarin’s bad moves,” the authors wrote. Undangarin and the Infanta “resented that they were treated differently at the Royal House in comparison” with Felipe and Leticia.

The book also recounts a fight at Urdangarin’s 40th birthday party in 2008 when Prince Felipe refused to help him pay for a small, Barcelona palace he had bought for his wife."

Inaki blaming Letizia for his "unhappy fate" seems so ridiculous to me. HE is the one responsible for the situation he is now in, not Letizia. In the article he and Cristina complain that Felipe and Letizia were treated differently. Well, shouldn't they be? He is the heir and she is his wife. The next paragraph talks about a fight when Felipe refused to help him pay for a small palace. Feeling of entitlement much?

I have a hard time believing that Letizia leaked anything to anyone in the press. This has harmed the SRF, and she is a member of the family. Why would she take a chance of harming her husband, herself and her daughters?
Old 02-25-2013, 05:28 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmily View Post

The book also recounts a fight at Urdangarin’s 40th birthday party in 2008 when Prince Felipe refused to help him pay for a small, Barcelona palace he had bought for his wife."

Inaki blaming Letizia for his "unhappy fate" seems so ridiculous to me. HE is the one responsible for the situation he is now in, not Letizia. In the article he and Cristina complain that Felipe and Letizia were treated differently. Well, shouldn't they be? He is the heir and she is his wife. The next paragraph talks about a fight when Felipe refused to help him pay for a small palace. Feeling of entitlement much?

I have a hard time believing that Letizia leaked [I]anything[I] to anyone in the press. This has harmed the SRF, and she is a member of the family. Why would she take a chance of harming her husband, herself and her daughters?
Yea, that piece made me feel even more disgust with Inaki and with Infanta Cristina- they sound like genuinely unpleasant people. Inaki in particular seems to not be at all sorry for what he did, but more very sorry that he got caught.

If he's proven guilty, I absolutely think jail is appropriate and deserved and I hope it doesn't harm Felipe and Letizia and their daughters.

What an ugly situation all around.
Old 02-25-2013, 05:54 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmily View Post
From the above article: Comment Now Follow Comments
PAGE 2 OF 2

”She (Letizia) wanted to shine and leaked documents to the press to reveal Urdangarin’s bad moves,” the authors wrote. Undangarin and the Infanta “resented that they were treated differently at the Royal House in comparison” with Felipe and Leticia.

I have a hard time believing that Letizia leaked anything to anyone in the press. This has harmed the SRF, and she is a member of the family. Why would she take a chance of harming her husband, herself and her daughters?
I agree about Letizia. That does not seem likely to me. Unless she felt an ethical duty to reveal things to the people of Spain, as I've been suggesting that the SRF DID have once they discovered enough (okay - IF they discovered enough). If she did, I applaud her - I always knew that gal had more ethics in her little finger than most of the rest of them combined. I'm not certain she and Felipe will come to the throne with this mess, but she will come out on top.

Inaki and Cristina don't appear to be very nice people, and I'm putting it very mildly here.....
Old 02-25-2013, 07:07 PM
Imperial Majesty

We really can not know if what that journalist says is true. The translation is not exact, but the idea is that. Obviously it is something completely absurd. If anything has been proven in recent months, is that Iñaki is always looking for someone to blame for his mistakes.

There are journalists who are following the cases of corruption in the Balearics and Valencia for years, the case Noos is only part of a much larger court case that the press has been following.

Recently a friend of Letizia who takes part on TV debates had to talk about this case. Her words were an absolute respect and prudence.

For years, some section of the press has attacked Letizia while praising the Palma... and during those years has not leaked the real reasons of family problems. Now the real problems have been discovered by the recklessness of some members of the Royal Family and the course of justice.
Old 02-25-2013, 07:29 PM
Heir Presumptive

Had Letizia wanted to leak the wrong doings of Inaki, she would have leaked them long time ago when the whole Spanish press was blaming her for the bad family relation, especially with Cristina around 2008-2010. It would have been so easy for her to complain to her journalist friends when Zarzuela had used her as the 'scapegoat' to cover up the real problems in the family.
Even after the Balearic financial scandal in 2006 and Inaki being forced out of Noos by Zarzuela, the Spanish press still remained quiet on Inaki's unethical (at least) business for 6 long years. The scandal only exploded in the press after the judge ordered to search the offices of Noos in Oct 2011, imputed Inaki's business partner and partner's wife. Did Inaki/Cristina still expect the press to remain quiet and continue to give them the free pass LOL ?

Tags
corruption, iñaki urdangarín, infanta cristina, scandal