The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal Family of Spain > The Duke and Duchess of Palma de Mallorca and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-27-2013, 11:56 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemisia View Post

Inaki is not a Duke in his own right so there is no title to revoke.
He is only styled as a Duke jure uxoris, in right of his wife who is the Duchess of Palma de Mallorca in heir own right.

Although legally Inaki is not entitled to use his wife's Ducal title, by the centuries-old tradition Spanish tradition he is considered an "unofficial" duke and is styled as "his Excellency" (which is his official style anyway, as a Knight Grand Cross).
Correct,Infanta Cristina is the Duchess of Palma de Mallorca in heir own right and the title is for life only .

Inaki is styled Don Inaki Urdangarín ,Duke of Palma de Mallorca,but it is only a style.

Old 01-27-2013, 11:58 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelo View Post
Is there any precedence in Spain for revoking a Duke's title? Could Inaki be stripped of his Dukedom?
Inaki can't as he hasn't any titles but Cristina the duchess might (have to) relinquish her title of Palma de Mallorca.

Old 01-27-2013, 12:22 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANNIE_S View Post
I think it may be taken in account that they aren´t a normal family. F&L attitude towards Iñaki is what is expected from the Crown heirs, not matter what the "familiar feelings" are. I know it´s hard, it would be hard in any family, but it´s a question of responsibility, IMO.
Yes, you said it better than I did!
Old 01-27-2013, 11:48 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieGiraffe View Post
[/B]

Bringing down the whole SRF like Inaki and Cristina did rarely plays well in the long term either.

If one of my siblings did such a thing, I'd distance myself as well. I wouldn't want it suggested I was complicit in a fraud committed on the very people I will one day swear allegiance to.

It's a bit more nuanced here than just a problem within an ordinary family. This is an abuse of their position, and the position of the entire family. If Felipe and Letizia are seen countenancing them in any way, they throw away all they have worked for as well as their daughter's birthright.
And that right there is the elephant in the room, IMO. If Juan Carlos and Felipe have always behaved impeccably in their own finances and business dealings, if they are, in fact, cutting off Christina and Inaki and they're doing it entirely out of a sense of superior morality and duty towards the Spanish people, well, like I said, I don't think much of that, but that's their business. But I do wonder what someone would find if they scrutinized the King and PoA as closely as Inaki has been scrutinized this past year. Because, honestly, the reaction of the royal house to this mess doesn't seem like the reaction of a group of people confident that they've got nothing to hide.

Inaki and Christina alone don't have the power to bring down the SRF. If they're really the only members of the family who can be proven to have behaved unethically, (or criminally as the case may be), then i think the institution can ride this out until Felipe becomes king and and sinks or swims on his own.
Old 01-28-2013, 03:32 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by camelot23ca View Post
But I do wonder what someone would find if they scrutinized the King and PoA as closely as Inaki has been scrutinized this past year. Because, honestly, the reaction of the royal house to this mess doesn't seem like the reaction of a group of people confident that they've got nothing to hide.

Inaki and Christina alone don't have the power to bring down the SRF. If they're really the only members of the family who can be proven to have behaved unethically, (or criminally as the case may be), then i think the institution can ride this out until Felipe becomes king and and sinks or swims on his own.
What is there to scrutinize the King and PoA ? Neither one has any business under their name (as Inaki) that benefits directly from public money. The whole mess has a lot to do with the torn feeling of the King being a father and the King. As a father, he wants to protect his daughter, but as the King of Spain, all citizens of his should be equal in front of justice.
Anyway I don't think Inaki and Cristina alone would bring down the monarchy either, but they had done severe and irreversible damage to the monarch and the King who had been considered one of the greatest kings in the history.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:56 AM
Imperial Majesty

The secretary of infantas Elena and Cristina, Carlos Garcia Revenga, has been called to testify as defendant by the judge Castro, who investigates the case Noos, on 23 February.

Terra Mobile España - El secretario de las infantas declarará como imputado por el caso Noos

Royal secretary named as suspect in Nóos scandal

http://elpais.com/elpais/2013/01/29/...69_496634.html
Old 01-29-2013, 05:22 PM
Majesty
TRF Author

Secretary to Spain's princesses to be quizzed over alleged fraud involving king's son-in-law | Fox News

Who's next, Cristina?
Old 01-29-2013, 05:37 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

I doubt that. Unless it is conclusively proven Cristina knew of wrongdoings (which is unlikely), the King will protect Cristina for as long as it is possible - and he still commands a lot of power and respect.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:01 PM
Heir Presumptive

This is getting ugly
The fact that they haven´t imputed Cristina yet is shameful.
The images of her going into the court would be damaging for the monarchy, but the obvious protection she´s enjoying by the Royal House isn´t much better.

Proud admirer and supporter of the Princess of Asturias, Viana and Gerona (2005 - ) :)
Old 01-29-2013, 06:01 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnaK View Post
What is there to scrutinize the King and PoA ? Neither one has any business under their name (as Inaki) that benefits directly from public money. The whole mess has a lot to do with the torn feeling of the King being a father and the King. As a father, he wants to protect his daughter, but as the King of Spain, all citizens of his should be equal in front of justice.
Anyway I don't think Inaki and Cristina alone would bring down the monarchy either, but they had done severe and irreversible damage to the monarch and the King who had been considered one of the greatest kings in the history.
You don't think if someone bothered to have a very close look at the finances of the King and PoA there might not be a few things pop up that would be a little awkward to explain? I think there would be, but I also think it might be best to NOT look too closely and let sleeping dogs lie, (unless, through the investigation into Inaki, something shows up that's too egregious and blatant to ignore).
Old 01-29-2013, 06:15 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANNIE_S View Post
This is getting ugly
The fact that they haven´t imputed Cristina yet is shameful.
The images of her going into the court would be damaging for the monarchy, but the obvious protection she´s enjoying by the Royal House isn´t much better.
If Revenga's testimony doesn't open some doors here, none will.

I would imagine the SRF is quaking in their boots at the idea of his taking the stand. They know what he could say, and only he, his lawyer and God know what he plans on saying.

This is not only getting ugly, the painfully slow process is surely torture for those so deeply wrapped up in it all.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:46 PM
Nobility

What is Revenga's reputation and character? Is he known to be someone who would put personal honesty above his loyalty to the monarchy? What is known about him?
Old 01-30-2013, 06:30 AM
Imperial Majesty

The judge in the case Nóos, Jose Castro, has today set bail solidary liability of 8.1 million Iñaki Urdangarin and his former partner at the Instituto Noos, Diego Torres, for potential liabilities that may be declared pecuniary against in this piece investigating the diversion of public funds to the Institute Nóos.

El juez Castro impone una fianza civil de 8,1 millones de euros para Urdangarin y Torres | elmundo.es

Traductor de Google
Old 01-31-2013, 07:04 AM
Imperial Majesty

Judge accuses Urdangarin of illegally diverting public funds

Judge accuses Urdangarin of illegally diverting public funds | In English | EL PAÍS
Old 01-31-2013, 01:08 PM
Heir Apparent

Inaki is likely not the only important Spaniard who may have benefited from dubious financial arrangements.
BBC News - Spain ruling Popular Party denies slush fund allegations
Old 01-31-2013, 02:26 PM
Heir Presumptive

Do you think he will he have the money in 3 days?
Old 01-31-2013, 02:38 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by biboquinhas View Post
Do you think he will he have the money in 3 days?
I'm guessing they'll put up their house as collateral, and as for the rest, yes - I'm betting he will come up with it.
Old 01-31-2013, 04:53 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by camelot23ca View Post
You don't think if someone bothered to have a very close look at the finances of the King and PoA there might not be a few things pop up that would be a little awkward to explain? I think there would be, but I also think it might be best to NOT look too closely and let sleeping dogs lie, (unless, through the investigation into Inaki, something shows up that's too egregious and blatant to ignore).
The finance of the King and PoA has been audited each year. Noos was being investigated because it got deals from the corrupted politicians who were/are currently on trial. There is no evidence of the King or PoA getting benefits from any corruption scandals. If you want to accuse someone, at least you should have some irregularities to start with, something to investigate, so far nothing pointing to that direction for the King or PoA personally.

Inaki was so hungry for money because he was a poor retired handball star without other professional skills, Cristina didn't have much money either, they had always wanted a big family, many kids. If Cristina were the PoA, the future queen, I doubt her husband would be as hungry for money.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:10 PM
Nobility

The royal family of Spain is quit poor - so it is not possible for them to provide for all relatives lavishly like the British family can do it. On the other hand, they are surrounded by rich aristocrats and other rich people ...

That doesn't make embezzlement right, but it might offer an explanation.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:15 PM
Serene Highness

Eveyone is entitled to their opinion and I for one will not sit here and say that PoA or Juan Carlos are not guilty of doing anything that could be considered as shady because we really do not know what they do in private. Im not going to make excuses for the SRF and make them look like angels since they obviously are not. If there is valid proof that shows that others were involved in this mess then so be it. I think someone should do some investigating on the rest of the clan to see what else has been hidden. The SRF need a nice wake up call. Rattle their pedestals a little, good for the ego. Just my opinion.

Tags
corruption, iñaki urdangarín, infanta cristina, scandal