The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal Family of Spain > The Duke and Duchess of Palma de Mallorca and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #401  
Old 05-24-2012, 01:27 PM
LadyFinn's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Southwest, Finland
Posts: 15,213
About a swiss bank account
Descubiertos 700.000 euros evadidos de una cuenta en Suiza de Iñaki Urdangarín - Bekia
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #402  
Old 05-27-2012, 12:00 AM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Some City, United States
Posts: 211
I've been following this case from the beginning. What a mess!!! I feel sorry for the four children of Inaki and Cristina - and I can't imagine what tension they feel in that house. It's best that they are in the U.S. at least for the sake of the kids - their peers in the U.S. would not really know about this as the classmates in Spain would.

As somebody who is a monarchist, I fully support full justice here, and no deals and no preferential treatment for anyone found to be involved. That is the only way for the SRF to survive, IMO. If anyone is seen as getting a pass because of who they are, that could be the true death knell for the monarchy. This would be so unfair for the Asturias and their children, who I don't think were involved or knew about it. To make matters worse, this could not have happened at a worse time, economically.

Does anyone know when this would theoretically go to trial.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #403  
Old 05-27-2012, 11:22 AM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: many places, United States
Posts: 842
Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Peach View Post
It's best that they are in the U.S. at least for the sake of the kids - their peers in the U.S. would not really know about this as the classmates in Spain would.

As somebody who is a monarchist, I fully support full justice here, and no deals and no preferential treatment for anyone found to be involved. That is the only way for the SRF to survive, IMO. If anyone is seen as getting a pass because of who they are, that could be the true death knell for the monarchy. This would be so unfair for the Asturias and their children, who I don't think were involved or knew about it. To make matters worse, this could not have happened at a worse time, economically.
I agree with you 100%. 90% of the American population do not know or care about Inaki and his family. They must be told that his wife is royality and even then don't care as she is not next in line. Their four children would be better off being raised "anywhere" other than Spain. The only Royals that Americans favor are from UK, Denmark & Holland. Don't know why, but that is just the way it is. Even Monoco, which once was favored due to Grace Kelly, is no longer a media delight.

Many Spanish born couples, which I have had the pleasure of meeting at events, would like to see the King either step down or get completely out of the media's eye for a year or two and let their beloved Queen and the Asturias take up the Royal duties. Almost like "out of sight; out of mind". They were always fond of Inaki and his family and loved the King. Now they are all ashamed of both.
__________________
Forgiveness is the fragrance the violet shed on the heel that crushed it - Mark Twain
Reply With Quote
  #404  
Old 05-27-2012, 12:56 PM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Some City, United States
Posts: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnie View Post
I agree with you 100%. 90% of the American population do not know or care about Inaki and his family. They must be told that his wife is royality and even then don't care as she is not next in line. Their four children would be better off being raised "anywhere" other than Spain. The only Royals that Americans favor are from UK, Denmark & Holland. Don't know why, but that is just the way it is. Even Monoco, which once was favored due to Grace Kelly, is no longer a media delight.

Many Spanish born couples, which I have had the pleasure of meeting at events, would like to see the King either step down or get completely out of the media's eye for a year or two and let their beloved Queen and the Asturias take up the Royal duties. Almost like "out of sight; out of mind". They were always fond of Inaki and his family and loved the King. Now they are all ashamed of both.
Yes, I agree. I am glad that the Urgandarin children are living in the United States. I hope they remain here. The royalty of any country other than Britain is the stuff of big-point trivia or game show questions here in the U.S. And even Britain - I just played team trivia and a question which very few people knew was the last name of the reigning house of Britain!!! Hard for people who post here to believe, but it is true. I doubt many people in the U.S. are even aware that there IS a monarch in Spain.

From what I have read in articles and message boards, Cristina and Inaki and JC will have a tough time reestablishing their previous images, even if there are ultimately no convictions, and I believe that it is only a matter of time before JC announces that he will retire, and he will cite declining health (which has been in decline). I have friends who live in Spain, and I think people want a thorough investigation and a thorough housecleaning.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #405  
Old 05-27-2012, 01:04 PM
Danishla's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Miami, United States
Posts: 405
I am sorry to hear that "the people in the US are not aware that there is a mornarch in Spain, and that the only Royals that Americans favor are from UK, Denmark & Holland . . ."
__________________
Danishla

The fruit of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, . . . .
Reply With Quote
  #406  
Old 05-27-2012, 01:32 PM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Some City, United States
Posts: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danishla View Post
I am sorry to hear that "the people in the US are not aware that there is a mornarch in Spain, and that the only Royals that Americans favor are from UK, Denmark & Holland . . ."
Yes, I agree, but I'm guessing that the Urgandarin kids are NOT sorry to hear it, esp. their oldest son, who at his age must be completely aware of the situation, and is relieved to live in relative anonymity.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #407  
Old 05-27-2012, 02:02 PM
An Ard Ri's Avatar
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Westmeath, Ireland
Posts: 8,810
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danishla View Post
I am sorry to hear that "the people in the US are not aware that there is a mornarch in Spain, and that the only Royals that Americans favor are from UK, Denmark & Holland . . ."
Especially given the large Hispanic and Latino Population!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #408  
Old 05-27-2012, 02:54 PM
Duke of Marmalade's Avatar
Majesty
TRF Author
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Posts: 8,541
Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Peach View Post
and I believe that it is only a matter of time before JC announces that he will retire, and he will cite declining health (which has been in decline).
I disagree, he will never retire, like Queen Elizabeth, unless health reasons force him to do so, and I mean mental health, not physical health. The last thing I can imagine is JC being Elder Statesman watching Felipe reign. No, it will never happen. Felipe will only be King when the old man has gone, either mentally or dead & buried. Even with declining physical health, JC is still the boss of the lot, does what he thinks is right, its something he fought for all his life. He is alpha, not backbench. Even with age.

Re Inaki, the issue will go on and on and on. If he will be charged, he might go to prison. Just imagine the media supergau, the King's SIL in jail. If he doesnt and makes a deal, people will say he got a deal because of who he is. Same if he won't be charged for some reason.

Because of all this there is a big chance that Inaki will lose his job with Telefonica. If the family chose to come back in Spain and live off the Infanta's income it will be very modest, plus media terror on a daily basis. If they live outside Spain they will need new jobs (Cristina might lose hers at Caixa eventually when not returning to Barcelona) and people will either be annoyed that Inaki or Cristina will get other well paid jobs because of who they are or they will ask the question who actually forks out for them if they dont work? The only option would be the King who doesnt want to see his daughters family suffer. Understandable, but bad publicity. This whole saga will keep the SRF on the gossip pages for years to come.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #409  
Old 05-27-2012, 03:07 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Heidelberg, Germany
Posts: 1,399
I don't think he will step down even when he is mentally ill. Felipe would be regent, IMO.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #410  
Old 05-27-2012, 03:53 PM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Some City, United States
Posts: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
I disagree, he will never retire, like Queen Elizabeth, unless health reasons force him to do so, and I mean mental health, not physical health. The last thing I can imagine is JC being Elder Statesman watching Felipe reign. No, it will never happen. Felipe will only be King when the old man has gone, either mentally or dead & buried. Even with declining physical health, JC is still the boss of the lot, does what he thinks is right, its something he fought for all his life. He is alpha, not backbench. Even with age.

Re Inaki, the issue will go on and on and on. If he will be charged, he might go to prison. Just imagine the media supergau, the King's SIL in jail. If he doesnt and makes a deal, people will say he got a deal because of who he is. Same if he won't be charged for some reason.

Because of all this there is a big chance that Inaki will lose his job with Telefonica. If the family chose to come back in Spain and live off the Infanta's income it will be very modest, plus media terror on a daily basis. If they live outside Spain they will need new jobs (Cristina might lose hers at Caixa eventually when not returning to Barcelona) and people will either be annoyed that Inaki or Cristina will get other well paid jobs because of who they are or they will ask the question who actually forks out for them if they dont work? The only option would be the King who doesnt want to see his daughters family suffer. Understandable, but bad publicity. This whole saga will keep the SRF on the gossip pages for years to come.
Duke, I cannot see them returning to Spain. Whether or not Inaki is imprisoned, somehow, someway, Cristina will get a job in the U.S. Their lifestyle will continue much the same, everyone who follows them will wonder how, JC and Sofia will most likely support them because of the grandchildren. and this will follow them for years to come.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #411  
Old 05-27-2012, 03:59 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danishla View Post
I am sorry to hear that "the people in the US are not aware that there is a mornarch in Spain, and that the only Royals that Americans favor are from UK, Denmark & Holland . . ."
Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
Especially given the large Hispanic and Latino Population!

I doubt that's true, getting a few clips in CNN over the years doesn't make you famous, most of Americas don't even remember or show any interest. The Spanish RF is much more known than the Dutch or Danish RF in US, especially among the large Hispanic and Latino Populatio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte_Aster View Post
I don't think he will step down even when he is mentally ill. Felipe would be regent, IMO.
If he is mentally ill, he might be forced to step down in the future . There is a talk about the new crown Law that includes the role of the Prince of Asturias, renunciations and abdications. If the King doesn't step down in case of not being physically capable, the new law will probably (IMO) make Felipe the regent instead of merely representing the King as he did.

http://www.tiempodehoy.com/espana/el...y-de-la-corona
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #412  
Old 05-27-2012, 04:36 PM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Some City, United States
Posts: 211
I think that because of the large latino population in the U.S., there is some recognition of the SRF, but only the superstars like Felipe, Letizia and their daughters. They do make the pages of some online sites, such as Huffington post, but never Elena or Cristina. I do think Elena and Cristina are virtually unheard of. Those in the U.S. who know about the Urgandarin issue follow BBC news, and not American media.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #413  
Old 05-27-2012, 05:10 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Peach View Post
I think that because of the large latino population in the U.S., there is some recognition of the SRF, but only the superstars like Felipe, Letizia and their daughters. They do make the pages of some online sites, such as Huffington post, but never Elena or Cristina. I do think Elena and Cristina are virtually unheard of. Those in the U.S. who know about the Urgandarin issue follow BBC news, and not American media.
The King and Queen are well known among the Latinos. JC had helped to bring democracy to Spain, he was on the cover of Time magazine before. He is well known among the older generation well educated Americans.
The Spanish RF has been low key and austere, they don't give interviews, they don't hire US PR firms to promote their foundations (ex. like Mary Foundation). I don't think they care if they are being covered by the US media or not.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #414  
Old 05-28-2012, 03:38 AM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Peach View Post
Duke, I cannot see them returning to Spain. Whether or not Inaki is imprisoned, somehow, someway, Cristina will get a job in the U.S. Their lifestyle will continue much the same, everyone who follows them will wonder how, JC and Sofia will most likely support them because of the grandchildren. and this will follow them for years to come.
Cristina wants to return to Spain. Before Inaki's scandal broke last fall, she pretty much spent half of her time in Spain. There were rumors of marital crisis two years ago, the main reason was that she spent too much time alone in Spain. Not exactly a crisis IMO, but the press would always speculate when a couple spent too much time apart. The media said Inaki would be formally charged this summer, afterward, he likely will lose his job in telefonica, his partner has already been fired from the ESADE business school where he was a professor. If that's the case, they would have to make a move, either move back to their own house in Barcelona, or sell the house, buy a new one somewhere. Without Inaki's telefonica job, they can't afford their lifestyle in DC. Last week Cristina was in Barcelona for work, also remodeled her house. I think they already have a plan.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #415  
Old 05-28-2012, 08:30 AM
Duke of Marmalade's Avatar
Majesty
TRF Author
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Posts: 8,541

I agree about Cristina wanting to go back, her job is there, friends etc. But I dont see them getting on with the media pressure day in day out. Maybe the adults (well, Inaki may be not be with them) but not the children. It would be living hell for them, not only the media, but their environment, friends etc ... I dont think they can handle it in the long run.

I dont see them stay in the US either, they are there on Inakis work visa, of course something could be arranged but who wants to burn his fingers with Inaki? Telefonica has been funding a lavish lifestye out there, no way they can afford this without help from the King or another nepotism job.

I've said before that London would be a good solution, its close to Spain, they have wealthy relatives out there, if even Telma thinks she will can lead a paparazzi-free life there it would certainly apply to the Palma family too.

With the renovation work on the house, I think they are preparing it to be sold or rented out in the long run. I cant imagine them moving back in as if nothing has happened. It wont be working this way.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #416  
Old 05-28-2012, 08:31 AM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: many places, United States
Posts: 842
Quote:
Originally Posted by donnaK View Post
The King and Queen are well known among the Latinos.
.
The Spanish speaking community here in America might know the King of Spain, but since most of them originated from either Cuba, Mexico or Puerto Rico, they feel absolutely no allegiance to Spain's King. The couples I have personally met again at charity functions are now quite ashamed of JC but still adore his wife. All three of these couples attended Felipe and Letizia's wedding so they are not just people only "reading" about JC & Inaki, but people that have socially been in their company.

The fact that Americans are not affected emotionally by Inaki's actions is a great sign for his beautiful children. If they stayed in America, they would have a more normal life as their school friends would not be listening to gossip at home and question them, as children do.
__________________
Forgiveness is the fragrance the violet shed on the heel that crushed it - Mark Twain
Reply With Quote
  #417  
Old 05-28-2012, 08:58 AM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Some City, United States
Posts: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post

I agree about Cristina wanting to go back, her job is there, friends etc. But I dont see them getting on with the media pressure day in day out. Maybe the adults (well, Inaki may be not be with them) but not the children. It would be living hell for them, not only the media, but their environment, friends etc ... I dont think they can handle it in the long run.

I dont see them stay in the US either, they are there on Inakis work visa, of course something could be arranged but who wants to burn his fingers with Inaki? Telefonica has been funding a lavish lifestye out there, no way they can afford this without help from the King or another nepotism job.

I've said before that London would be a good solution, its close to Spain, they have wealthy relatives out there, if even Telma thinks she will can lead a paparazzi-free life there it would certainly apply to the Palma family too.

With the renovation work on the house, I think they are preparing it to be sold or rented out in the long run. I cant imagine them moving back in as if nothing has happened. It wont be working this way.
I thought that they might be renovating the house for sale. (Although could be the days are now numbered for Inaki's career in D.C. as this matter unfolds). As much as Cristina and Inaki may long for Spain, I think it would be a great disservice for the children to move back. Not only the media, but how could those children ever attend school with their peers? I don't feel sorry for Cristina in this predicament, and if she returns to Spain, I will really wonder about her as a mother.

Good point on the U.S. visa, but somehow the powerful and connected never seem to have much issue obtaining one....

London is a likely alternative.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #418  
Old 05-28-2012, 03:45 PM
LadyGabrielle's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: kapaa, United States
Posts: 1,148
I have to agree that she should think of the children first. I understand she would want to go home to Spain but the children would have a difficult time with the paparazzi and people in general. I feel so sorry for the kids since they are innocent in this situation. Its not thier fault that thier father is an idiot and brought this shame on the family. Unfortunately in the end they will see the fall out from this if it is not handled in an appropriate way.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #419  
Old 05-29-2012, 02:34 AM
Duke of Marmalade's Avatar
Majesty
TRF Author
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Posts: 8,541
In the meantime, the discussion about at least questioning Infanta Cristina hasnt died down
La Audiencia delibera si imputa a la infanta Cristina | Política | EL PAÍS

In some of the emails that Diego Torres provided after the judges had decided not to question her, it seems obvious that she helped Inaki placing deals with Majorcan businessmen.

The treasurer of Noos, Carlos Garcia Revenga, who is the personal secretary of Cristina is still at Zarzuela (he has been around for almost 20 years, knows all secrets about the SRF), possibly for a very good reason, because if he started to speak about what really happened I am sure it would go much higher up than Cristina. The King has a good reason to keep Garcia close to his chest.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #420  
Old 05-29-2012, 05:14 AM
Lindy's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Peach View Post
Duke, I cannot see them returning to Spain. Whether or not Inaki is imprisoned, somehow, someway, Cristina will get a job in the U.S. Their lifestyle will continue much the same, everyone who follows them will wonder how, JC and Sofia will most likely support them because of the grandchildren. and this will follow them for years to come.
Their life in Washington, D.C. is not without stress. I read an article with pictures of Cristina being followed into a grocery store by the press and asked questions about Inaki. I don't understand how people think King Juan Carlos could afford to support Cristina in her current lifestyle if Inaki loses his job or goes to prison. JC does not have the income or wealth of other monarchs and Inaki reportedly makes close to a million dollars a year with benefits.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
corruption, iñaki urdangarín, infanta cristina, scandal


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Infanta Cristina, Iñaki Urdangarín & Family, Current Events Part 15: March 2011 - dazzling The Duke and Duchess of Palma de Mallorca and Family 510 08-19-2014 04:04 PM
Engagement of Infanta Cristina and Iñaki Urdangarín; May 3, 1997 Mandy The Duke and Duchess of Palma de Mallorca and Family 15 05-22-2007 01:30 AM
Is Cristina and Iñaki's marriage in trouble? ellene The Duke and Duchess of Palma de Mallorca and Family 2 11-09-2003 12:28 PM




Additional Links
Popular Tags
birth charlene chris o'neill crown prince haakon crown princess letizia crown princess mary crown princess mette-marit crown princess victoria current events engagement fashion genealogy grand duchess maria teresa grand duke henri habsburg hohenzollern infanta sofia jewellery jordan king abdullah ii king carl xvi gustav king constantine ii king felipe king felipe vi king harald king juan carlos king philippe king willem-alexander luxembourg olympics ottoman palace pieter van vollenhoven pom prince albert prince albert ii prince carl philip prince constantijn prince felipe prince felix prince floris prince maurits prince pieter-christiaan princess alexia (2005 -) princess anita princess ariane princess beatrix princess catharina-amalia princess charlene princess laurentien princess letizia princess mabel princess madeleine princess margriet princess mary princess of asturias queen anne-marie queen letizia queen mathilde queen maxima queen rania queen silvia queen sofia royal russia sofia hellqvist spain state visit sweden wedding



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:07 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises

Royal News Delivered to your Email!

You can get the latest Royal News right in your inbox.

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]