The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal Family of Spain > The Duke and Duchess of Palma de Mallorca and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-03-2012, 12:11 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyGabrielle View Post
What a mess. How shameful! I can't believe that this man would bring such shame not only to the SRF but to his wife and to the Spanish people. Terrible, terrible. :(
I would not assume that his wife is innocent. She is very bright and seemingly involved in all aspects of their life. It is more likely that he is taking all the blame in order to protect her.

Old 05-03-2012, 03:29 PM
Serene Highness

Hard to believe that she would be involved in such a scandal. I would hope that she would have more common sense and represent her family, the SRF, to the utmost degree. I would be extremely disappointed if it turns out she was involved somehow. It would be a horrible betrayal. Lets hope she is not a part of this scandal.

Old 05-03-2012, 03:40 PM
Heir Presumptive

I haven´t believe for a moment that Cristina has nothing to do with this, or that she didn´t knew anything. She would be a very silly woman if so, and I don´t think she is.
She can´t represent Spain anymore, and I hope they both are getting apart of the Royal Family as soon as possible.

Proud admirer and supporter of the Princess of Asturias, Viana and Gerona (2005 - ) :)
Old 05-03-2012, 03:42 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

I have to agree that it is extremely unlikely Cristina was unaware of her husband's activities. At the very least, she couldn't help but wonder where all the money came from. It would also explain the lengths the King has gone to protect Inaki (and his daughter).
Old 05-03-2012, 06:50 PM
Courtier

Is there anywhere else he could get the money to pay back stolen money besides the King?
Old 05-03-2012, 07:25 PM
Heir Presumptive

I am really wondering what will happen in this very sad case !
Old 05-03-2012, 08:26 PM
Aristocracy

The Infanta is damned either way should her husband be convicted. Obviously, if she were aware then she would have been an accomplice to the crime. If she weren't, then that speaks volumes of their marriage because that simply means he took advantage of her and how her position can enrich him.

Just wondering though how a guy can accumulate much wealth without the wife knowing while living in luxury ... Understandable if there were a hidden mistress who was the one who enjoyed the affluence.
Old 05-04-2012, 03:41 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

Maybe Cristina turned a blind eye, like some other family members, who werent directly involved. Everyone within the family must have seen and wondered how this lifestyle was funded and where the money could be coming from, knowing the alledged tight finances within the family (having to attend events in order to get money, Felipes small allowance). Cristinas salary at Caixa is very high for a working mother but nowhere near "rich".

Cristina is clearly protected as daughter of the King, not even being questioned IF she was aware of anything illegal. Of course she'd say NO but the question is not even being asked from official side.

"Everyone, especially those of us with public functions, must behave correctly, in an exemplary fashion," the King had declared in last year's Christmas broadcast, yet he had had no problem acting as an intermediary between Urdangarín and public officials, trying to persuade politicians to get involved with the creation of a new America's Cup sailing project, hoping that Urdangarín could earn money from it (!!!).

Stuff like this would continue to come to light in a trial, I have no doubt they will be seeking a deal at some point.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:47 AM
Nobility

I don't believe everyone in the family knew the business Inaki and Cristina were involved in. I'm sure Elena didn't and most specially the Asturias. Few of us are aware what our brothers and sisters' families get up to without our knowledge - it's simply a fact of life.

I do think Cristina will give up her succession right to the throne - for her and her children. It's coming.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:52 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alondra View Post
I don't believe everyone in the family knew the business Inaki and Cristina were involved in. I'm sure Elena didn't and most specially the Asturias. Few of us are aware what our brothers and sisters' families get up to without our knowledge - it's simply a fact of life.

I do think Cristina will give up her succession right to the throne - for her and her children. It's coming.
You make a very good point. I didn't think of her succession rights [although quite far back now]. That would certainly be a slap in the face. You are probably correct about siblings not knowing EXACTLY the extent of all the businesses Inake had a hand in. I certainly don't with mine and they have quite nice lives. I honestly think that Inaki and Cristina were both involved and thought that their position would protect. It seems that the king is trying to protect [ and maybe 50 years ago the media would have turned their eye and it would have worked] but today that is not so. I wonder if the average person in Spain will "forgive and forget" as Cristina was always the media sweetheart [until Letizia and Felipe's children were born]. Every country seems to have someone putting their hands in the money pot illegally---we have John Edwards at the present time!
Old 05-04-2012, 02:25 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alondra

I don't think the children should be punished. Granted, that would largely be a symbolic gesture given how unlikely any of them are to become King/Queen but still.
Old 05-04-2012, 03:30 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnie View Post
You make a very good point. I didn't think of her succession rights [although quite far back now]. That would certainly be a slap in the face. You are probably correct about siblings not knowing EXACTLY the extent of all the businesses Inake had a hand in. I certainly don't with mine and they have quite nice lives. I honestly think that Inaki and Cristina were both involved and thought that their position would protect. It seems that the king is trying to protect [ and maybe 50 years ago the media would have turned their eye and it would have worked] but today that is not so. I wonder if the average person in Spain will "forgive and forget" as Cristina was always the media sweetheart [until Letizia and Felipe's children were born]. Every country seems to have someone putting their hands in the money pot illegally---we have John Edwards at the present time!
You wonder if the average person in Spain will "forgive and forget". Well, I think time heals everything and sooner or later we will be have worse things to talk about, but he truth is that the whole thing has done an irreparable damage to the monarchy is Spain. We (the Spaniards in this forum) cannot be considered the average ones because if we joined once this Forum is because we like monarchies, or at least, in some way we sympathize with them, even if we are sometimes critical with them (I have been really critical sometimes) But it's just because I know what they represent, what they are for and I believe their behaviour must be exemplary. Always. Right now, with Iñaki's bussiness, Felipe's foot and the King's journey to Botswana, I think that unfortunately the average Spaniard has said: "Ok, enough!" In these days, I haven't heard any comment supporting the Royals and loads of them critizising them. I think the popularity of monarchy is really decreasing.

"I do think Cristina will give up her succession right to the throne - for her and her children. It's coming."

I think that's what she would do in any other country (personally, I do not believe she didn't know anything). But unfortunately, in my country the civil servants, politicians... they don't have the "tradition" of resigning even when their behaviours are completely reproachable.

Who knows...
Old 05-04-2012, 06:01 PM
Aristocracy

What a sorry mess this has turned into. Cristina needs to give up her succession rights for sure, and no more representing Spain either. This is turning out to be the Spanish royal family's annus horribilis -- what with Inaki/Cristina/JC embroiled in corruption case, JC breaking hip while shooting elephants, JC and the mistress, Froilan shooting his foot. Am I missing something?? Yet they only do it to themselves.
Old 05-05-2012, 08:41 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

I dont see Cristina giving up her succession rights. With Felipe as King, she will fade into the background anyway, only doing the odd event, and not necessarily in connection with or for the then core SRF. The possibility of Cristina or her family on the throne is the same as a black hole swallowing Felipe, Leonor, Elena and Froilan = zero. Then, it is not Cristina who is accused or even convicted of wrongdoing, it is Inaki. If she felt responsible for what her husband is doing to the degree of involving herself, she would have acted differently in the past. Giving up succession rights or leaving the SRF is not done just like that, its a process, who should start this process? Cristina? The King? Bringing even more attention to the issue? It would sound like the confession of guilt of a person who hasnt even been questioned by the authorities and wasnt involved in the case. Doesnt make any sense to me. If giving up succession rights is not Cristina's wish I dont see who or what institution could make her do so.
Old 05-07-2012, 02:54 AM
Heir Presumptive

One thing I don't understand is that why the judge and prosecutors haven't asked Inaki's partner to submit all 200 emails he retrieved from an old PC the prosecutors missed when they searched the offices of Noos. Now Torres is using the emails blackmailing Inaki and the monarchy for millions (10 millions at least). With the emails, the judge and prosecutors probably would find out more on whether Cristina had involved in Noos (since the Kings has impunity), it would definitely help their investigation. Maybe they just prefer not to read the emails, this way they can continue pretending Cristina didn't do anything, she didn't know anything LOL .

El exsocio de Urdangarin amenaza con revelar información comprometedora | Política | EL PAÍS

translated:
Google Translate
Old 05-07-2012, 07:52 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnaK View Post
One thing I don't understand is that why the judge and prosecutors haven't asked Inaki's partner to submit all 200 emails he retrieved from an old PC the prosecutors missed when they searched the offices of Noos. Now Torres is using the emails blackmailing Inaki and the monarchy for millions (10 millions at least).
Maybe for the same reason why Cristina hasnt even been questioned

Torres was clever and watched his back during the fraud period, making sure he had proof of Inaki and possibly members of the SRF being involved. To keep Inaki out of jail or to prevent the public from knowing who of the SRF knew and to what extent is certainly a life insurance for Torres.

I am always surprised that people think the SRF, especially the King (and he will have taught his children accordingly) are whiter than white. When only looking at fractions of the history it is clear that JC didnt regain the Spanish throne because of his integrity and he certainly didnt stay there for almost 40 years because of it. And Felipe wont keep it because of it.

The SRF has always been shrewder than shrewd but nobody talked about it, especially the media, because the country and the establishment were better off with the King and his connections rather than without him .

The SRF in personification of Inaki was only too out of touch to realize that the tide has turned - it started with Letizia's arrival (or any other woman Felipe would have married) that the press started eroding the untouchable code - but they didnt get the sign of the times and Inaki & Co were probably even more sure they could do no wrong with the distraction concentrating on the SIL.
Old 05-08-2012, 04:08 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Inaki Urdangarin's Front Man Robert Cockx Sighting In Madrid
SAN LORENZO DE EL ESCORIA, SPAIN - MAY 07: Inaki Urdangarin's front man Robert Cockx is seen on May 7, 2012 in San Lorenzo de El Escoria, Spain.
Getty Images - Search: ESP: Inaki Urdangarin's Front Man Robert Cockx Sighting In Madrid#

Quote:
Iñaki Urdangarín and his former partner Diego Torres seeking an agreement with prosecutors to avoid jail
Iñaki Urdangarín y su ex socio Diego Torres buscan un acuerdo con la Fiscalía para eludir la cárcel

Google Google Translate

Quote:
The King's House is not aware of an extortion attempt Diego Torres
http://www.hola.com/noticias-de-actu...3/casasreales/

http://translate.google.com.tr/trans...les%2F&act=url
Old 05-09-2012, 06:47 AM
Aristocracy

Well, it seems the whole thing is turning nasty...

http://http://www.elperiodico.com/es/noticias/politica/juez-ordena-policia-investigar-hay-e-mails-ocultos-urdangarin-diego-torres-1760181

It seems King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia have decided not to celebrate their Golden Jubilee this year...

The media are already talking about a "seism in the monarchy"...
Old 05-09-2012, 06:50 AM
Aristocracy

Sorry, I made a mistake...

El juez ordena a la policía que rastree si hay correos ocultos de Urdangarin-Política-El Periódico
Old 05-09-2012, 06:57 AM
Aristocracy

Sorry again...

El juez pide investigar si hay más 'e-mails' de Urdangarin

Tags
corruption, iñaki urdangarín, infanta cristina, scandal