Baby Girl for Cristina and Iñaki! Irene Urdangarín y de Borbón: June 5, 2005

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is great news indeed! It is not hard to guess that it is a beautiful girl considering how beautiful her parents and brothers are! Irene is a very nice name and a tribute to Queen Sofia's sister, Princess Irene of Greece, who happens to live in Spain.

http://www.casareal.es/casareal/cp050605.html

Her Royal Highness Infanta Doña Cristina and the Most Excellent Sir Don Iñaki Urdangarin, Dukes of Palma de Mallorca, have the joy to announce the birth of a girl, the fourth of their children, today in Barcelona. The new born will receive the name of Irene.

Palace of La Zarzuela, June 5th 2005

Elsa M. said:
http://www.casareal.es/casareal/cp050605.html

Her Royal Highness Infanta Doña Cristina and the Most Excellent Sir Don Iñaki Urdangarin, Dukes of Palma de Mallorca, have the joy to announce the birth of a girl, the fourth of their children, today in Barcelona. The new born will receive the name of Irene.

Palace of La Zarzuela, June 5th 2005

Irene is a really cute name, she will bring a lot of joy to her family. Can't wait to see the first pics of her!!!!!:D:D

From Reuters:

"I am very happy for the new baby. Independently of being a girl or a boy, it comes to fulfil the expectations that we had put in our familiar planning", said Urdangarín, who attended the birth.

The Infanta is very well of spirits and she doesn’t want to separate from the girl. "She will be named just Irene", joked the ex-sportsman, in reference to the compound names that are usually given to the members of the royal family.

Irene comes from the Greek Eirene, meaning "peace".

congratulations to the couple! Can't wait to see the pics :)

the name is very beautiful but the meaning is The one that loves the peace.

http://www.informativos.telecinco.es/dn_5647.htm

The first daughter of the Dukes of Palma will be named Irene, a name that "we always liked, for its meaning and beauty", said Iñaki Urdangarín. The girl was born at 3:55 in the afternoon by normal childbirth. She weights 3,685 kilos and measures 50 centimetres.

meac said:
the name is very beautiful but the meaning is The one that loves the peace.
It comes from the Greek Eirene,es. I.e., Peace.

a picture iñaki

Attachments

• untitled[1].JPG
    untitled[1].JPG
    15.6 KB · Views: 421
Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.abc.es/abc/pg050605/actualidad/gente/200506/05/urdangarin_irene_infanta.asp

The godparents of little Irene will be Rosario Nadal ("great friend" of the family and wife of Prince Kyril of Bulgaria) and Perico Lopez Quesada (husband of Cristina de Borbón Dos Sicilias).
The father was present, once again, at the birth and he could cut the umbilical cord, before Garcia Valdecasas put the girl in the arms of the mother. Urdangarín justified the name of the baby “for its meaning", since it means 'peace' in Greek, and "for the beauty of the name itself", in addition to the fact that it is the name of the maternal aunt of the infanta. He added that it was the name that we wanted to give "if God would ever give us a girl".

The Duke of Palm said that the infant is "phenomenally", although with "the normal effects of a postchildbirth", but with the "highest spitits". The father of new born commented that in the begining he thought that the baby ressembled his son Pablo ("blond and with round face"), although "she has a little of the three" brothers. He explained that they have not wanted to know the sex of the baby, until it was born, like with the previous babies, and that they would feel as much "immensely happy", whether it was a boy or a girl.

Besides, Urdangarín explained that he sent a message with the news of the birth to the Princes of Asturias, because at the moment they are in Japan. Infanta Elena arrived at the Teknon clinic two hours after her sister gave birth. Finally, Iñaki Urdangarín thanked "God for the luck of having such a wonderful family" and also thanked for the work of the medical team.

Photos of Iñaki at the press conference and Elena arriving at the hospital.

From Terra:

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 494
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 326
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 336
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 432
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 325
Thanks Elsa for this article. :)

Elsa M. said:
http://www.abc.es/abc/pg050605/actualidad/gente/200506/05/urdangarin_irene_infanta.asp

The godparents of little Irene will be Rosario Nadal ("great friend" of the family and wife of Prince Kyril of Bulgaria) and Perico Lopez Quesada (husband of Cristina de Borbón Dos Sicilias).

Interesting that the godparents have been announced within hours of the baby being born and the baby being given a name. This doesn't usually happen in other royal families. I wonder why none of Inaki's siblings or cousins were chosen as a godparent?

Elsa M. said:
Urdangarín justified the name of the baby “for its meaning", since it means 'peace' in Greek, and "for the beauty of the name itself", in addition to the fact that it is the name of the maternal aunt of the infanta. He added that it was the name that we wanted to give "if God would ever give us a girl".

What a nice sentiment about the name. Princess Irene must be very happy with her namesake. I hope we will see her visiting Cristina and baby Irene soon, too. And very nice that both Elena and Cristina have honoured their Greek heritage in naming their daughters -- Victoria Frederika for her maternal great grandmother and now Irene for her maternal great aunt. (If Alexia doesn't have another girl, she could hand down Arrietta and Ana Maria's clothes to Irene!)

Elsa M. said:
Finally, Iñaki Urdangarín thanked "God for the luck of having such a wonderful family" and also thanked for the work of the medical team.

Inaki seems like such a thoughtful and appreciative man. What a nice way to express his love for his family.

Is Pedro or Perico Lopez Quezada?

Pretty name, I like it. I also really like the meaning, it's beautiful. Good choice I say!

Congratulations to Cristina and Inaki. Can't wait to see pics of the little one and I'm sure that she will be as beautiful as Cristina.

elenaris said:
Her " madrina" (godmother) will be Rosario Nadal, wilfe of the prince of Yugoslavia.
No, Rosario is the wife of Prince Kyril of Bulgaria.

What wonderful news!! congratulations to the couple and the rest of the SRF:)

Queen Sofia arriving at the hospital.

Photos from GettyImages:

Attachments

• 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 310
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 373
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 443
the queen is in the tecknon

Last edited:
Congratulations to the family!! And the warmest welcome to little Irene!:) :)(Great name they chose..:)

Can't wait to see the photos of baby and family..

Gosh I'm so happy for them both!!!:D :D Four healthy children and finally a girl, they are so blessed!!

Queen Sofia, Inaki and his three sons, Miguel, Pablo and Juan, leave Hospital Teknon in Barcelona, after visiting their little sister.

Photos from GettyImages:

Attachments

• 20.jpg
    20.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 512
  • 21.jpg
    21.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 547
  • 23.jpg
    23.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 477
  • 22.jpg
    22.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 520
They are so cute!

I'm trying to imagine their little sister. She will certainly have the same eyes...

im happy for Cristina have baby girls FINALLY! but she still longtime waiting for girls because of 3 boys! but im glad she got it!

and HM Queen Sofia really loving Grandmother to hold her new granddaughter i cant wait see her and new baby!

Sara Boyce

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom