The Dukes of Lugo Announce Separation (2007) & Divorce (2009)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there word on whether they intend to divorce? I saw on diez minutos about elena's new house. It is very sad. I hope it is not a nasty, drawn out, bitter separation and/or divorce, or whatever. That is to say, I hope they will maintain at least a friendship, for the sake of the children. But it would be so much better, naturally, if they could somehow reconcile and stay married, because they seemed at one time to be so happy together. And a divorce would set such a sad precedent.

We do not allow religious discussions on this board. If you have any questions feel free to contact myself or another moderator.

According to 20minutos.es Elena is thinking talking about a divorce now. They took it from an article in Semana though:
La Infanta Elena ya habla de divorcio - 20minutos.es

A divorce must be the result of all this. I can't imagine that Zarzuela would make a separation public, go through all the media coverage if there was the slightest chance of a reunion. I think they have started living separate lives a long long time ago but only made it public when Elena enforced a spatial separation and there was no way to cover this up. Since the annoucement it's only about when or who gets what and not about if or if not.

If the Duke and Duchess of Lugo proceed with divorce, it is sad news. I had a faint hope that Infanta Elena would make up with her husband.
P.S. The hat worn Infanta Elena on the picture is too large. I wonder who chose it ...

A divorce must be the result of all this. I can't imagine that Zarzuela would make a separation public, go through all the media coverage if there was the slightest chance of a reunion. I think they have started living separate lives a long long time ago but only made it public when Elena enforced a spatial separation and there was no way to cover this up. Since the annoucement it's only about when or who gets what and not about if or if not.

You have a good point. The rumors out there is that Jaime hasn't agreed on the divorce yet. If that's true, Zarzuela might want to give him a little more time and doesn't want to force him to sign the paper. Duchess of Alba had a very happy 2nd marriage with the kids from the 1st marriage, I'm hoping the very best for Elena.

I have thought that in recent pictures Elena has looked marvelous. She is wearing more make-up, really styling her hair --- like a big weight has been lifted off her. She has looked luminous.
Jaime always looked theatrical and somewhat pompous. Wearing the big black cape, attending all of the Parisian fashion shows. I had read that he dictated what Elena wore. She has always worn haute couture and looked wonderful.
Didn't Jaime have a stroke in recent years? I think that it must have affected his left side because in photos his left hand is always held in a tight fist position.
A stroke can affect your personality and moods. In recent years he is never shown smiling or looking happy.
I think that Elena dealt with everything as best she could, but in the end the happiness of her children and homelife and her own battle with having to deal with Jaime just became too much and she opted to separate.
She seems to have a strong family support system - she'll be fine.
But Jaime, who knows?

My thoughts exactly as soon as the seperation was announced, still, I hope(d) to be proved wrong

Finally divorced :( I used to love Jaime's sense of fashion so much. He changed the style of Elena very much and she started to have exclusive Dior designs for her. It was la belle epoque of their marriage.

Finally divorced :( I used to love Jaime's sense of fashion so much. He changed the style of Elena very much and she started to have exclusive Dior designs for her. It was la belle epoque of their marriage.

What do you mean finally divorced? Last time I checked they were not divorced yet only seperated!

The article says that although plans for a divorce have not been announced, it appears that Elena has moved on with her life. She haws purchased a new house and will be taking on a new job to cover her extra expenses.

Today I have read in a Portuguese magazine that the separation is having problems because Jaime wants to remains with his royals advantages and tittle, goshh this is so mucht like Jaime's personality!!:eek:

Today I have read in a Portuguese magazine that the separation is having problems because Jaime wants to remains with his royals advantages and tittle, goshh this is so mucht like Jaime's personality!!:eek:

I think this article from the Portuguese magazine was likely taken from an article of El Pais not long ago.
You have a point. On the other hand, I can also understand Jaime's worries. He used to work at a bank managing assets, after 13 years of being Infanta Elena's husband, he already lost all his old real working skills. All these years, he has been flattered by the jobs of directors of foundations, advisors of the companies or positions on the board of directors of the companies only because he is a son-in-law of the King (same goes to Inaki). Once he is no longer married to Elena, those jobs can be easily taken away. I think it's only logical that he is seeking some compensation. Diana, Alexandra of Denmark or even Fergie was compensated by their own royal house, why not Jaime ? And it was Elena who walked out on him.

Yes you are right! Do we have the story from Elena side? Does she want to give him the Royal title or do they want to take that away from him? Well he is the father or the Queen and King Royal grandsons, so maybe yes, he deserves to keep his royal title.

Has there been any official confirmation that it was Elena that requested the separation and not Jamie? If not, that is speculation. Let's try to stick to the facts......at least the ones we know.

There were articles from the serious press (El Pais, ABC and etc.) mentioned that Elena packed her kids and moved out of the family house unexpectedly and told her parents that her marriage situation was unbearable.
biboquinhas, Elena herself can't decide if Jaime can still keep his title/privileges or not after the divorce, it's more up to the King and his advisors in Zarzuela to make the decision.

Not likely that there will be an annulment. A religious annulment can only be granted on very specific grounds and most often after years of petitions. Some of the grounds are fraud at the time of the marriage (I.e, he said he could have kids, and knew that he could not.), non consummation, etc. Basically an annylment can only be granted within the catholic church for the following reasons: defect of form, defect of contract, or unwilling or unable parties.

More information can be found here.

Not likely that there will be an annulment. A religious annulment can only be granted on very specific grounds and most often after years of petitions. Some of the grounds are fraud at the time of the marriage (I.e, he said he could have kids, and knew that he could not.), non consummation, etc. Basically an annylment can only be granted within the catholic church for the following reasons: defect of form, defect of contract, or unwilling or unable parties.

More information can be found here.
You forgot another way to get the annullment - money, connections and access to the church's upper levels of decision making power.

I'm little out of this case but if the RCC annullment thi marriage what would happen with the children? I mean with their status they still will be born in wedlock?

You forgot another way to get the annullment - money, connections and access to the church's upper levels of decision making power.

Yes, it works in Spain, ex. the marriage of the future Duke of Alba and his ex-wife Matilde Solís was annulled. But the annulment of the marriage of Elena and Jaime has to go through Vatican, which makes it a lot harder.
It seems the media has started the campaign of accusing Jaime this and that (starting from a previous article from El Pais), including using cocaine, what a horror for Jaime ! I'd love to see him sueing the magazine if it's a lie.
Se alega consumo ocasional de cocaína : laNacion.es

It was asked before (Magnik) and I was wondering about the status of the children born from a marriage that has been annulled. Did the Duke of Alba and his wife have children?
The truth is that Elena will have what Elena wants but the way it looks to outsiders will not be that pretty. Why not go the divorce route and be more honest about it. Heck 50% of married couples get divorced it is not as if they are the first ones!

Carlos, the eldest son of Duchess of Alba, and his ex wife Matilde have 2 children.
I don't believe Elena or Zarzuela would use Jaime's drug problem (if there is any) to pave the way for the divorce and the marriage annulment. Jaime is still her children's father and is respected and loved by their two kids. It would be quite scandalous for the SRF too if Jaime did do drug. Anyway, Jaime should definitely file a lawsuit against this magazine if the story is a lie.

Carlos, the eldest son of Duchess of Alba, and his ex wife Matilde have 2 children.
I don't believe Elena or Zarzuela would use Jaime's drug problem (if there is any) to pave the way for the divorce and the marriage annulment. Jaime is still her children's father and is respected and loved by their two kids. It would be quite scandalous for the SRF too if Jaime did do drug. Anyway, Jaime should definitely file a lawsuit against this magazine if the story is a lie.

Then again, if he is painted into a corner, he can always pen a book and then everyone will be red faced.
The Queen is extremely mindful of their place(SRF) in Spanish history and will do her utmost to kill this is a gentle manner. Do you agree?

If there were to be an anuulment, the children would be considered illegitimate, which TECHNICALLY (though likely not in practice) would mean according to the RCC that the children would not be considered baptised, or eligible for titles, etc...

The only immediate reference in history that I can think of was when Henry VIII wanted to divorce and annul his marriage to Catherine of Aragon, whereby his child by Catherine (mary) would have been stripped of her title, and not considered eligible for succession to the throne, as she would have been considered illegitimate. This all eventually happened anyway when the COE was created, but in the end Mary became Queen anyway.

If there were to be an anuulment, the children would be considered illegitimate,

The children will always keep their status of legitimate children, nowdays!
Rules have changed since Henry VIII!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom