The Dukes of Lugo Announce Separation (2007) & Divorce (2009)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It seemed to me that at events just prior to the announcement of their separation, Elena looked more happier and smiling than she has been in quite a while.

Stellad

It seemed to me that at events just prior to the announcement of their separation, Elena looked more happier and smiling than she has been in quite a while.

Stellad
I agree. She looked much more relaxed before the announcement than she had in a very long time.

It is not true that it is the first time ... the first separation was in 1900, the Infanta Eulalia daughter of Isabel II separated of her husband.

The fifth break in the Royal Family

La Razón | Digital : España

Alfonso XIII and Queen Ena had a rather ugly split according to one of the Queen's recent biographers. She told him she "never wanted to see his UGLY face again!" and they lived apart for the rest of their lives. But they never divorced...they just lived separately and she was at the King's side when he died.

I feel very badly for everyone involved in in this situation. The pain of a failing marriage is ghastly for "normal" couples, so can you imagine living out this trauma before thousands of flashbulbs and everyone weighing in with an opinion on TV and in print? It is terrible to follow the Infanta as she takes her children to school. Leave her the hell alone for now!

Que me dices.com has an article saying that Dona Elena lost her patience with the reporters that were waiting her at her children's private school. Day after day, these reporters don't loose their chance to ask her about her separation. According to the article, she is fed up with all this fuss about her separation and today she told them "Let's calm down a bit, ok?"

Que me dices.com has an article saying that Dona Elena lost her patience with the reporters that were waiting her at her children's private school. Day after day, these reporters don't loose their chance to ask her about her separation. According to the article, she is fed up with all this fuss about her separation and today she told them "Let's calm down a bit, ok?"

I think that at this point in time, both Infanta Elena and Don Jaime are allowed to take/pick up their children in peace. This is getting ridiculous.

QEII gave the title to Lord Snowdon, the title is his, Margaret was the consort Countess and that's why his new wife got the new title as well, and that's why Viscount Linley will get the Earldom when his father dies, the title is for-life and hereditary

The Duchy of Lugo is a title the King gave to his daughter, Jaime is only the consort, so at the moment of a divorce, he will lose the title and if Elena gets married once again, her husband (if he's not a royal) will get the title :flowers:
Froilán won't get his mother's title, is not hereditary

Isn't there a Spanish Duchy that passes from mother to daughter? I want to say it's the Duchess of Alba but I'm not sure. I think it would be nice if there were more titles that passed down the female lines :clap:.

Cayetana got the Duchy of Alba, because she was an only child, but it still passes through the male line, she has a lot of sons (including the eldest one, Carlos, Duke of Huescar and heir of the Alba)

QEII gave the title to Lord Snowdon, the title is his, Margaret was the consort Countess and that's why his new wife got the new title as well, and that's why Viscount Linley will get the Earldom when his father dies, the title is for-life and hereditary

The Duchy of Lugo is a title the King gave to his daughter, Jaime is only the consort, so at the moment of a divorce, he will lose the title and if Elena gets married once again, her husband (if he's not a royal) will get the title :flowers:
Froilán won't get his mother's title, is not hereditary

Diana and Fergie got to keep their title without HRH. If the King is generous enough, maybe Jaime will keep his title or get a new title (the later is more likely).

Diana and Fergie got to keep their title without HRH. If the King is generous enough, maybe Jaime will keep his title or get a new title (the later is more likely).

Diana and Fergie didn't keep their titles. Diana, Princess of Wales and Sarah, Duchess of York were no titles but sort of surnames. If Diana and Sarah were married to MRs Smiths, they would be Mrs Diana and Mrs Sarah Smith.
Both of them lost their titles the moment their divrces were finalized.

I doubt the King will let Jaime keep the title. Elena might remarry later, and it would be confusing to have 2 Dukes of Lugo.

According to the article, she is fed up with all this fuss about her separation and today she told them "Let's calm down a bit, ok?"
She did good!
The reports are too annoying with Elena in this period.
What do they expect Elena to tell them about her separation, while walking in the street?
I doubt the King will let Jaime keep the title. Elena might remarry later, and it would be confusing to have 2 Dukes of Lugo.
I think it would be nicer to let him keep the name, but not the privileges of the Duchy. He is still the father of Elena's children, who have grown up knowing that their father is the Duke of Lugo.

COLD MEETING OF LUGO DUQUES AFTER THE ANNOUNCEMENT OF THEIR SEPARATION

Galerías de imágenes

More

Deadline

This couple has already looked awkward when they were still together and therefore I did not expect to see a smile or a hug now that they have separated. I hope they will still do things together as a family though and the kids will able to enjoy themselves.

I wonder how their Xmas card will look this year. I thought that they always had terrific cards, 2006 in the tree and 2005 in the swimmingpool. They looked like a happy family, sadly it was not meant to be.

most likely a translation issue... huh...

Elena's face say everything...

He even doesn't came in.

..."Jaime de Marichalar again at Infant's Elena house, after picking their sons from the college."...

forgive me for my ignorence but...huh?! :neutral:

Its a rough translation, but its good though :flowers: I'm pretty sure that it means that Jaime is bring the kids home from school again.

Diana and Fergie didn't keep their titles. Diana, Princess of Wales and Sarah, Duchess of York were no titles but sort of surnames. If Diana and Sarah were married to MRs Smiths, they would be Mrs Diana and Mrs Sarah Smith.
Both of them lost their titles the moment their divrces were finalized.

Had Andrew married again, what would his 2nd wife be called ? 'xyz, Duchess of York' if it's just sort of surname ?

Last edited:
Had Andrew married again, what would his 2nd wife be called ? 'xyz, Duchess of York' if it's just sort of surname ?

Should Andrew remarry, his new wife would be "X, The Duchess of York", while Sarah would remain Sarah, Duchess of York (without The). The is crucial in this case, without it 'Duchess of York' is something like a surname, rather then a title.

You will find more information about it in this thread - Questions About Titles. :)

Last edited:
Should Andrew remarry, his new wife would be "X, The Duchess of York", while Sarah would remain Sarah, Duchess of York (without The). The is crucial in this case, without it 'Duchess of York' is something like a surname, rather then a title.

You will find more information about it in this thread - Questions About Titles. :)

You are right Avalon but is does sound odd, doesn't it. Probably another reason why Andrew has not remarried since ;)

I think it would be nicer to let him keep the name, but not the privileges of the Duchy. He is still the father of Elena's children, who have grown up knowing that their father is the Duke of Lugo.

The Juan Carlos era marked a major change for Spanish nobility. All Spanish titles are courtesy and totally meaningless. They carry no privileges or prerogatives, and this is one among many steps taken by JC that have endeared him to the people of Spain. Except for few titles of nobility such as that of Duke/Duchess of Alba which carries major international prestige due to local history, its connection to the british peerage, the immense fortune etc, most Spanish titles have no attached value other than standing as testimony of aristocratic origin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon

Actually, should Andrew remarry, his new wife would be "The Duchess of York" without her first name in front of the title for the simple reason that the definite article The refers to the one and only holder of the substantive title, the new wife. Sarah lost both, her style (ie the HRH) and her substantive title and was left with the honorific, courtesy (and meaningless) title, Duchess of York preceded by her first name, in order to distinguish her from a possible new wife of the Duke. As a non-British European, I am intrigued by the fact that Britain has turned the study of peerage and titles into a precise science. By merely rearranging the title ie a) by deleting the definite article The and b) prefacing it by the holder's first name, justice is served to the divorce'e by granting her continued status and dignity, whileprecluding confusion between the holders of the substantive and the courtesy title!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisiñaki

I would be inclined to agree with you that Jaime de Marichalar will lose his title the moment divorce becomes in effect, not only because the Infanta is a suo jure [in her own rights, by royal decree] duchess and he, only by association, but also due to the fact that if the marriage gets annulled by the Catholic Church, the annulment would be somewhat in conflict with his matrimony-acquired titular status, should it remain unchanged.
As for the next husband, should he not be a nobleman, my intuition tells me that he would not be very eager to "inherit" a title previously held by husband #1 and the father of his step-children. I feel there is something psychologically awkward there. After all, it is only an ad personam peerage and even without it he may still be styled HE and even get elevated to a grandee.

Last edited:
For what it has commented on the press, only they are friends, if there is someone is not this man. These photos are old, apparently this man and the Infanta know themselves for many years, he has been her equine trainer and they are very good friends. But only that. It seems that they have taken advantage that existed photos with him to have topic to talk about. ;)

This was sad news .. Very sad news. I hope Victoria and Felipe will be fine, that's what matters .. So is this Just separation, or will they get divorced in about 6 months ?

For what it has commented on the press, only they are friends, if there is someone is not this man. These photos are old, apparently this man and the Infanta know themselves for many years, he has been her equine trainer and they are very good friends. But only that. It seems that they have taken advantage that existed photos with him to have topic to talk about. ;)

I agree, this is one theory. On the other hand, I wouldn't be surprised if Elena stepped out with a new partner quite soon keeping in mind that her marriage is apparently on the rocks for some years now.

I don't believe a second that she will go back to Jaime but rather divorce as soon as the whole process allows her to. I see her remarrying at some point in the future, this time a man who completely suits her interests and brings some joy into her life although her children remain priority # 1

Yup I do believe too that there will be no reconciliation and will end up in divorce.

I am out of the loop ...

Oh dear! This news is sad...although I can't say I'm surprised considering the rumours that have been circulating for a number of years.:ermm:

I / Abbie am out of the loop ... WHAT rumours, may I ask?

I see photos of Jaime and he always looks so ANGRY, embittered.
He gave testy responses to our "W" Magazine about 3 years ago when it interviewed European Royals on/about their lives and lifestyles. I wish I could remember the issue-date of that 'zine so I could site it for all of you, but I cannot.

Can someone bring me into the loop, please?

Thank you,

-- Abbie

Miscarriage?

Many think it was because of the stroke... I don't know. Things like this can be a strain to marriage, also, maybe Elena's miscarriage a few years ago...
Who knows, in the end probably only them.
It is very sad and I hope it still works out whatever way they choose to go.

Wow!

I hadn't known The Infanta had had a miscarriage :ohmy:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom