The Dukes of Lugo Announce Separation (2007) & Divorce (2009)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am very sad with the news, but again, one could see that things weren´t right between the couple. Hope, they´ll be able to get on with their lives and that both Froilan and Victoria won´t suffer with this.

LA INFANTA CRISTINA: 'MI HERMANA SE ENCUENTRA BIEN, TODAS LAS PAREJAS TIENEN SUS ALTIBAJOS'

http://www.hola.com/casasreales/2007/11/14/infanta-cristina/imgs/cristina-1a.jpg :wub:
http://www.hola.com/casasreales/2007/11/14/infanta-cristina/imgs/cristina-2a.jpg

THE INFANTA CRISTINA: 'MY SISTER IS WELL, ALL THE COUPLES HAVE THEIR ALTIBAJOS'

Initial statements by the Duchess of Palma after the announcement of separation from the Dukes of Lugo

The first member of the Spanish Royal Family in deciding on the announcement of the separation of the Dukes of Lugo has been the Infanta Cristina. The Duchess of Palma took this morning to school in Barcelona to his three eldest sons and responded to questions from journalists: "My sister is well, it is quiet, thanks," said the younger sister of Doña Elena, adding: "It was by mutual agreement, all couples have their ups and downs."

Doña Cristina, dressed in a suit jacket and gray pants, a scarf tables, a black bag and hair collected in a queue, again ensuring that the separation will have no legal consequences and added an "Hopefully," when one of the if told reporters he hoped that the time can fix the situation.

She was in Barcelona
The Infanta Cristina was yesterday in the county town when the announcement of the separation of Doña Elena and Don Jaime de Marichalar. The Duchess of Palma, who has always been very attached to his sister, has been one of its major supporters in recent months. Boards traveled to Croatia last August on the anniversary of Doña Cristina and wedding gift Iñaki Urdangarín, and boards spent their holidays in Majorca with their children.

Last edited:
One reads that after Jaime had a stroke several years ago, he became more difficult to deal with and had anger issues. Some have stated that he prefers men over women and that Elena may had known this from the start.

I suspected that his stroke caused a difference of his temperment, as the doctors said might happen, though I never suspected anything like a change of sexual preference.....

Well in all families, a stroke is a jolting experience. It is very traumatic. I think it might be worse for such a young family because they have the stress of still raising the children, and then there is the question of how the children deal with it. It is all very sad.

A very sad news and another royal divource at this age. I just wish they would get along with other for the sake of children and wish them to find their own peace minds under this arrangement.Now probably it is quite true that royal and royal marriage are still the better options for the two royal families to stick together for everything. It is quite sad to confirm again that, probably no matter how hard these commoners tried, they would find very difficult to live in the royal household.

I don't believe Jaime had difficulty adjusting to royal life. I imagine his stroke changed everything. Of course that is only a guess, but I believe it strongly.
He seemed to be fine in terms of being a suitable royal husband. Being from an aristocratic family, he is certainly less "common" than Iñaki, whose marriage to Cristina hasn't had even a hint of problems, or has it?

How sad. I've just now had the opportunity to look at this thread and the news saddens me greatly. I hope for the sake of Froilan and Victoria that Jaime and Elena can work things out.

A very sad news and another royal divource at this age. I just wish they would get along with other for the sake of children and wish them to find their own peace minds under this arrangement.Now probably it is quite true that royal and royal marriage are still the better options for the two royal families to stick together for everything. It is quite sad to confirm again that, probably no matter how hard these commoners tried, they would find very difficult to live in the royal household.

Jaime is not a commoner but from an aristrocratic background. He and Elena seemed to be a perfect match and I am sure King & Queen were more than pleased to get him as son in law. It must be painful from them to see their eldest daughter's marriage in tatters, not only as (grand)parents but also from the monarchy's point of view. Spain has always been the stronghold of catholizism, together with Belgium, and it must be disillusioning to find themselves in the same line with other monarchies (protestants though) who had to deal with separation or divorce (Britain, Denmark). First crack of the flawless image in recent times was Felipe marrying a divorced woman and now the breakdown of Elena's marriage - the monarchists and the catholic church won't be too pleased I guess. It's sad that it did not work out and I believe it will end in divorce. It seems that they have tried for years and this statement is the consequence and the first step. There are always many reasons but it's obvious that Jaimes' stroke did affect the marriage and changed his personality to some degree; I don't believe dealing with being a member of the SRF was a problem for him.

Well, technically aristocrats are commoners, just royalty isn´t... but I get the point ;).

I am not sure if Jaime was a perfect match, I remember some sarcastic remarks from those days, basically saying that he was an aristocratic snob, not good for anything who married the Kings daughter for her position. Added to that, there have always been rumours about his sexual preferences too, from the start. So certainly not everybody thought this match was a perfect one.

Anyway, for now they are ´just´ seperated so who knows... they might surprise us and reconsile at some point, although I doubt it. Did Penafiel already speak about this btw? I assume he will be angry that the only aristocrat who married into the RF is getting a divorce. And somehow I won´t be surprised if he finds a way to blame Letizia for it ;).

Last edited by a moderator:
Duke, I believe that you have remained in an ancient archetype of Spain. Spain was " the catholic reserve of west " with Franco, when Franco died it was ended. There are sectors in the society that they are very religious and very catholic, but the reality is that most of the population, though it is catholic for history, tradition or formation, does not follow the catholic religion of a strict form.

The Constitution recognizes that Spain is traditionally Catholic, but there are not State religion and the Royal Family do not have to belong to the Catholic religion. Another thing are the traditions of the family or their beliefs as individuals.

Every year there are fewer religious weddings and more divorces.

Well, technically aristocrats are commoners, just royalty isn´t... but I get the point ;).

Yeah, you know what I mean (Lady Di, Princess Mathilde, Prince Henrik, Prince Claus etc ... they all had this aristocratic touch).

I am not sure if Jaime was a perfect match, I remember some sarcastic remarks from those days, basically saying that he was an aristocratic snob, not good for anything who married the Kings daughter for her position. Added to that, there have always been rumours about his sexual preferences too, from the start. So certainly not everybody thought this match was a perfect one.

I agree but nevertheless I think King & Queen were pleased. It probably wasn't such an easy task for Elena to find a suitable husband and Jaime was aristocratic, good looking, good job etc. Maybe it's better for everybody to split. Although their parents probably did everything to provide their children with a happy upbringing Felipe & Victoria did not always look too happy in recent months or even years :neutral: There has been tension in the Lugo household for a long long time, even visibly for the public.

lula, I think Spain is a secular state, but the SRF itself has always been catholic and since Elena and Jaime got married in the catholic way, if they want to end things, they must do it accordingly to the canon law;)

The Constitution recognizes that Spain is traditionally Catholic, but there are not State religion and the Royal Family do not have to belong to the Catholic religion. Another thing are the traditions of the family or their beliefs as individuals.

This is what I meant lula. The close bond between Kings & Vatican and the way the SRF practices catholizism as a unit. Their strong catholic belief is one of their characteristics.

As was to be expected our dear "friend" Jaime Peñafiel has an opinion as well, and states in this video that this is the worst possible moment for the Dukes to go public and that they should have waited until after Christmas like the King requested. Don't know to what extend this video displays the truth, as it is Penafiel, but I decided to post it anyhow.
Jaime Peñafiel: 'Ha sido el peor momento para la separación'

Obviously, they have to comply with the civil law and the Catholic, but I think that Duke refers to something more personal.

I believe that to individual level we do not have so much information; yes they are catholic and follow with the traditional rites, but we do not know it deep that is this belief ... if they go every day to mass, only every Sunday or do not go. I do not imagine to the Kings of Spain as Balduino and Fabiola of Belgium, the truth.;)

Obviously, they have to comply with the civil law and the Catholic, but I think that Duke refers to something more personal.
Does this belong to my post lula? Sorry I don't get the context here :flowers:

I believe that to individual level we do not have so much information; yes they are catholic and follow with the traditional rites, but we do not know it deep that is this belief ... if they go every day to mass, only every Sunday or do not go. I do not imagine to the Kings of Spain as Balduino and Fabiola of Belgium, the truth.;)
No we don't know but I believe it's more focused than in other monarchies, eg it was obviously important for the Kings that Letizia got an update in her belief by bishoph Estapa himself before she married Felipe and I don't believe a second that the "Dutch version" (catholic Maxima was able to keep her faith in protestant DRF) would have been possible in Spain (in case Letizia was a protestant).

A very very sad turn of events but I can't help thinking this is a result of Jaime's stroke. That is a major medical event and often there are serious consequences that put great strain on marriages. It's still a very sad thing for all involved.

Do not think it is a result of his stroke, if you love each other you do not divorce for the strain illness brings in the family. They are just divorcing as so many people are, modern times. I think Elena will remarry.

I think Jaime was not a good husband! IMO he was a selfish man who only cares for titles, money, clothes, fashion, VIP persons, fashion shows, Paris and New York and too little for his family. Elena got tired of this and she has my support on that, she should get the divorce has soon as possible and try to arrange a man to take cares of her and her family has good as possible!

Very sad news for the family, I hope they are able to overcome their troubles.

I wonder, will he keep the title Duke of Lugo? Wasn't that title conferred on him when he married into the Royal Family?

Many think it was because of the stroke... I don't know. Things like this can be a strain to marriage, also, maybe Elena's miscarriage a few years ago...
Who knows, in the end probably only them.
It is very sad and I hope it still works out whatever way they choose to go.

pain, I hope that he is not something bad for the royal family

I think that Elena is going to be all right. She has a very positive attitude. In spite of all the trouble of her separation, she smiles and is gentle with the photographers. In the other hand, Jaime must be very happy to be free of the protocol of the royalty, never more he has to smile for a photographer and is going to be more himself.

It's sad but I was laugh when I saw on Hola the title - first photos of Elena after announcing of her separation. What people though that she would wore a mourn or penance sack or something...

Wow, how unfortunate for the them. The most important people in this is the children. Lets hope they will be given privacy and time to heal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom