The Dukes of Lugo Announce Separation (2007) & Divorce (2009)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cristina said that couples have their ups and downs and that her sister is fine.

I am not at all suprised.The Infanta and the Duke have been obviously rather unhappy for some time now.Remember the Royal Wedding of the Prince and Princess of Asturias?They seemed so distant from each other.In comparison to the obvious warmth and rapport between Infanta Cristina and Don Inaki.I feel really sad for the Infanta Dona Elena.

Oh my....gosh! I got so suprised! To tell the truth, I didn't see this coming. I feel sorry for them.

Even thought...I have a feeling they will divorce. I think that the reason for this choice is not Jaime's behaviour due to his stroke. I think the reason is something else that we do not know about...yet.

Either way, I hope that they will solve their problems soon and that their children would not be affected by this. I wish only the best for them.

I'm with Polyemma that I have to say I'm a bit surprised. I mean, I read about their perceived marital difficulties a few years ago. Like others on this thread, I was of the impression things were getting better in that realm. Goes to show, one never knows.

Off topic a bit, perhaps, but does anyone know what this family's financial situation is like? Does Elena bring home the bacon? Did the duke work, hold a job, post stroke? Does Elena get an allowance from the Spanish government?

Jaime is not a commoner but from an aristrocratic background. He and Elena seemed to be a perfect match and I am sure King & Queen were more than pleased to get him as son in law.

At least the match was quite ideal in the eyes of the King and Queen. Many talks out there said the King arranged the marriage. But the marriage was not too happy from the beginning, the paparazzis saw their unnewlywed behaviors even at the honeymoon. Elena's unhappiness had lost the King all his credibilities to further arrange the marriage for Cristina or Felipe.

At least the match was quite ideal in the eyes of the King and Queen. Many talks out there said the King arranged the marriage. But the marriage was not too happy from the beginning, the paparazzis saw their unnewlywed behaviors even at the honeymoon. Elena's unhappiness had lost the King all his credibilities to further arrange the marriage for Cristina or Felipe.

holy, that's interesting! Didn't realize it had been more or less arranged! Wonder how such a thing works though, in practice:
King to future duke of Lugo: "boy, I have a daughter, she's not the prettiest in the world but she's very elegant and smart and kind. What about it?"
Duke of Lugo: "ok, I'll think about it."
King to Elena: "found you a nice boy. You should marry him."
Elena: "well maybe...don't love him exactly, but but..well ok."

Is that how this kind of thing might go? Jee what century was this? Oh right, <last> century, lol!

But equally seriously, I always thought the two more or less liked each other. Am I wrong?!:ermm:

I'm with Polyemma that I have to say I'm a bit surprised. I mean, I read about their perceived marital difficulties a few years ago. Like others on this thread, I was of the impression things were getting better in that realm. Goes to show, one never knows.

Off topic a bit, perhaps, but does anyone know what this family's financial situation is like? Does Elena bring home the bacon? Did the duke work, hold a job, post stroke? Does Elena get an allowance from the Spanish government?

Jaime inherited +-6 millions of € 5-6 years ago from her aunt, the house when he live, very expensive, is your. He is counselor of many companies related to fashion... Loewe, Louis Vuiton... and to finances..+-16-18.

Elena is English teacher in a private primary school, "Micos", she is one of the owners and I think she receives some money from his father, but did not know how much. The King freely available in its budget for the maintenance of their house and family.

(sorry for my bad English)

holy, that's interesting! Didn't realize it had been more or less arranged! Wonder how such a thing works though, in practice:
King to future duke of Lugo: "boy, I have a daughter, she's not the prettiest in the world but she's very elegant and smart and kind. What about it?"

Is that how this kind of thing might go? Jee what century was this? Oh right, <last> century, lol!

But equally seriously, I always thought the two more or less liked each other. Am I wrong?!:ermm:
LOL :lol: Your post made me laugh princess olga. If is was being arranged by the Kings I don't think there was any pushing as they had been dating for some years before tying the knot. There are people out there who decide to marry mainly for partnership reasons (trust, common way of thinking etc) rather than being madly in love and I think there is nothing wrong with that. Maybe this was the case in their relationship and they thought it would be enough (it can be enough if things work out well I guess). I hope there won't be any damaging uncoverings about the reasons why they split (there might be some potential though in case those who think the sexual interest played a part). They did a statement and this should be respected. End of story.

Maybe it was so :p.
Diezminutos has some nice pictures from the couple from the times they were happy together. --> Pictures
It has nothing to do with the seperation, but I love this picture :).

Sometimes major life traumas -- such as strokes -- lead people to question their lives and choices. Very sad for Elena and their children.
Strokes also changes people. My father in law had one and changed completely from a loving, giving undividual, to a very self centered, demanding, verbally abusive person.
The Infanta has had a very sad look on her eyes for a long time, the look of losing the dream of being in love:unsure:

Maybe it was so :p.
Diezminutos has some nice pictures from the couple from the times they were happy together. --> Pictures
It has nothing to do with the seperation, but I love this picture :).

Those are such sweet pictures. But it makes the separation so much sadder.

LOL :lol: Your post made me laugh princess olga. If is was being arranged by the Kings I don't think there was any pushing as they had been dating for some years before tying the knot. There are people out there who decide to marry mainly for partnership reasons (trust, common way of thinking etc) rather than being madly in love and I think there is nothing wrong with that. Maybe this was the case in their relationship and they thought it would be enough (it can be enough if things work out well I guess). I hope there won't be any damaging uncoverings about the reasons why they split (there might be some potential though in case those who think the sexual interest played a part). They did a statement and this should be respected. End of story.

I have never heard they had been dating several years before tying the knot. I only heard they had known each other for several years.

I think Jaime was not a good husband! IMO he was a selfish man who only cares for titles, money, clothes, fashion, VIP persons, fashion shows, Paris and New York and too little for his family. Elena got tired of this and she has my support on that, she should get the divorce has soon as possible and try to arrange a man to take cares of her and her family has good as possible!

When a marriage fails, both sides share the blames, we shouldn't just point fingers at Jaime alone. I have always liked Elena, but this time I really feel sorry for Jaime since all the knives are out at him.

When a marriage fails, both sides share the blames, we shouldn't just point fingers at Jaime alone. I have always liked Elena, but this time I really feel sorry for Jaime since all the knives are out at him.
In my opinion, you are totally right Donnak!:flowers:
I like Elena too, but I agree that both sides always share the blames.

I have never heard they had been dating several years before tying the knot. I only heard they had known each other for several years.

I thought so as royal relationships are usually hidden from the public as long as possible. At least they must have known each other well before tying the knot. However, I don't think the Kings arranged the marriage. I thought they were a good match, Jaime was really handsome back then and his oddities only became pretty obvious after the stroke.

I thought so as royal relationships are usually hidden from the public as long as possible. At least they must have known each other well before tying the knot. However, I don't think the Kings arranged the marriage. I thought they were a good match, Jaime was really handsome back then and his oddities only became pretty obvious after the stroke.

They had known each other because of both families' background, social circle. They had known each other for about 9-10 years before the engagement, obviously they hadn't been dating for so long. Nevertheless, marriage is a whole new world. Lots of couples only found out 'the truth' of each other after the wedding regardless how long they had been dating.
I didn't mean the Kings pushed them into marriage, but the Kings probably encouraged them. Jaime was probably on Zarzuela's list of the potential grooms.

Last edited:
I have read that the first picture of the couple was taken in Paris in december 1993 :rolleyes:.

Jaime was probably on Zarzuela's list of the potential grooms.

That sounds scary :ohmy: like the grey men handed over a list to Elena "it's time now! there are ten suitable guys would be great if you would pick one out of the top 3". I hope it wasn't like this.

Another article about the separation from The Independent, stating that the separation is only one of quite a few worries for the SRF.

High-profile marriage split adds to Spanish royal family's woes - Independent Online Edition > Europe

All that we can say about this event which first of all is a private affair is a reconstitution according our own sensiblity, it's the reason why it's better to stay very cautious before, as someone...., to expose his/her own vew about the relation between two peoples, isen't it? The opposite is totally absurd!:graduate:

About arranged weddings - I don't said it's the case for the Infanta Elena and Jaime of Marichalar - sometimes they are stronger than a love wedding because the personality's problems and the respective touchiness aren't at the first plan. It's meant that all the arranged wedding don't finished by a divorce....

To end about the intrinsic live of a couple nobody, except the couple, can say what iare their trubbles and how each of them in their couple has to live their difficulties. All considerations mad by external people are pure fantaisy.

The single thing that we could be observed was that so Felipe Froilan than Victoria Frederica look more sad than their cousins as children since about some months may be a year. For example, the little Victoria Fredirica was a little bite too dependant of her sock in this last months than the last year as if she need something comforting. But be carefull because it's my interpretation and I'm not the truth !!!!

Everybody knows by direct or indirect experience that it's a very difficult moment for the children even the fathers are taking the most precaution as it's possible.

Last edited:
Jaime inherited +-6 millions of € 5-6 years ago from her aunt, the house when he live, very expensive, is your. He is counselor of many companies related to fashion... Loewe, Louis Vuiton... and to finances..+-16-18.

Elena is English teacher in a private primary school, "Micos", she is one of the owners and I think she receives some money from his father, but did not know how much. The King freely available in its budget for the maintenance of their house and family.

(sorry for my bad English)

Thanks for the answer.

I think it's all so sad - I like them both, Jaime and Elena.

I think what some posters are saying may be the case: that the stroke triggered something in Jaime that affected and changed his personality potentially. Things he did or did not like before, he now does?

Then again, who ever said marriage, especially after many years, is a walk on the beach always? Maybe it's even more surprising all these other royal couples of this generation is <not> divorcing! That said: I'm thinking, it wouldn't surprise me if we will see more royal divorces down the line!:ermm:

Thanks for the answer.

I think it's all so sad - I like them both, Jaime and Elena.

I think what some posters are saying may be the case: that the stroke triggered something in Jaime that affected and changed his personality potentially. Things he did or did not like before, he now does?

Then again, who ever said marriage, especially after many years, is a walk on the beach always? Maybe it's even more surprising all these other royal couples of this generation is <not> divorcing! That said: I'm thinking, it wouldn't surprise me if we will see more royal divorces down the line!:ermm:

It's a very common and even historical way to deal with a Royal or aristocratic marriage gone sour: the spouses seperate, lead their own life but stay married. Of course they stay married!

I think it was only due to the intruding media that there was an announcement at all - under different circumstances I guess there would have been none. And I seriously doubt they head for a divorce.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom