The Dukes of Lugo Announce Separation (2007) & Divorce (2009)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
From what I understand from branchg's post is that Jaime will lose the Duke title altogether after the divorce, but Elena may use the Duchess of Lugo title. Have I understood correctly or do I need another cup of coffee?:)

With marriage, Juan Carlos granted the title "Duchess of Lugo" to his daughter, Infanta Elena, for her lifetime. It is not hereditary and her children are styled His/Her Excellency with the rank of Grandee of Spain.

Jaime enjoyed the use of the style as a courtesy of marriage to Elena and was allowed the rank of His Excellency. He loses these attributes with divorce as the title was granted to Elena only by the King.

I am glad to see that they have completed things quietly (although I did not expect it to go any other way). I am also glad that Jaime will not keep the title and style, since both were afforded to him by marriage to Elena. I know that this is a relief to them both and hope them both my happiness in the future.

To Warren, this thread is to long . Could you separate 2009 - thanks

I hope that they can have a civil relationship with each other for the sake of their young children. I wish them well.

Spanish princess to divorce after 14 years of marriage : Europe World

Yes this seems to be correct - still the King might grant him some goodies for keeping it civil in the first place. It seems that Elena was the driving force behind the split, not Jaime. He will get his pay-off / reward for not spilling the beans in one way or the other.
I am shocked to learn that it was Infanta Elena, who chose (due to some important reasons) to seek a divorce. Still I am sure Infanta Elena spent a considerable amount of time thinking carefully and seriously about the separation from her husband and divorce.

It is sad that it had to come to this but I'm sure Elena must have had good reasons. She seems like a level-headed lady and they had a long separation so it wasn't a hasty decision. I wish all parties involved (especially the children) all the best.

I'm curious as to whether, or how soon, the Vatican will grant her/them an annulment.

I'm curious as to whether, or how soon, the Vatican will grant her/them an annulment.

When the annulment involves members of a Royal Family (especially a ruling one) the supreme and only judge is the Pope, he will decide...

The Pope will take his time. It won't happen quickly.

I have a general question that is also relevant here. My understanding used to be that the Catholic Church can annull a non-consummated, so-called white, marriage. Once a marriage has produced issue how can it be called white anymore and on what grounds can the Catholic Church issue an annullment?

I have a general question that is also relevant here. My understanding used to be that the Catholic Church can annull a non-consummated, so-called white, marriage. Once a marriage has produced issue how can it be called white anymore and on what grounds can the Catholic Church issue an annullment?
Money and contacts within the hierarchy of the church seem to be the requirements for an annullment. Did not at least one Kennedy get his marriage annulled after many years of marriage and children. Was it not the same case with Caroline from Monaco?

:previous: So true. Although Caroline didn't have children with Junot and it was a short marriage. But yes Joe Kennedy and his wife had been married about 12 years and had 2 children.
Maybe that's why royalty like to do regular visits with the pope - just in case. ;)

A "white marriage" is just one, maybe the most evident, cause of annulement of a catholic marriage. There are many others. As already said on this thread Infanta Elena will probably ask anulement for psycological marriage.
It is full of royalty who get an anulement even having children (the count of Paris and the duke of Aosta are just 2 examples). Also the duke of Huescar has obtained it (don't know if the Koplowitz sister had..).

Money and contacts within the hierarchy of the church seem to be the requirements for an annullment.
Absolutely NOT!
I know many common people that had their annulment, even though they had had children, and they are neither rich nor they have contacts within the hierachy of the Church!
Grevinnan, you probably are not well informed, so I can understand, but saying that those are the requirements for an annulment of a Catholic marriage is false and also offensive. There are so many other good reasons for granting an annulment (children or not children) and sometimes it takes a long time, both for common people and for aristocrats.

So do we have official proof that the Infanta is seeking an annulment? If she doesn't wish to remarry (not trying to be speculative just saying) would the point be because she is Catholic and she is not trying to be divorced?

Does that make sense?

So do we have official proof that the Infanta is seeking an annulment? If she doesn't wish to remarry (not trying to be speculative just saying) would the point be because she is Catholic and she is not trying to be divorced?

Does that make sense?

The Catholic Church would grant her an annulment in a nano-second if there is valid proof that one of the parties (him) entered the marriage under false pretenses (suspicions about his sexual preferences).

F.Y.I. This is not a commentary on my part about his preferences ... I just happen to know someone who received an annulment with those circumstances ... and based upon other published rumors about him.

I agree with you, Giov; money and contacts within the hierachy of the Church maybe can help in having the annulment (as well as a lot of other things, and I'm talking in general: I fear all the world works in this way... :nonono: ), but surely are not the requirements for the annulment.
Probably, if they ask for the annulment a lot of time will spend before they have it.

In the famous El Mundo's article that raised the question of the anulement (La Infanta Elena y Jaime de Marichalar se divorcian de mutuo acuerdo | España | elmundo.es) , it is said that the cost of an anulement process can be more than 50.000 €... so everybody can know now how rich you must be to try to get an anulement. This is the price for the Rotal tribunal, the Rotal lawyers, the experts in psycology you must take... Then I don't know if to convince the judge some couple make extra-offerts (I'm not saying directly to the judge..maybe to some catholic institution).

I don't know how long Joe Kennedy's annulment took, but I believe Princess Caroline's annulment of her first marriage took several years to become final. It doesn't matter about money or status, an annulment is not "fast tracked" for anyone.

Does anyone know when the divorce will officially be announced?

Does anyone know when the divorce will officially be announced?

The divorce is considered a private matter therefore there won't be an announcement from casareal. At some point they will have to modify their website though since Jaime will not be a member of the SRF any longer, update the family picture and remove The Duke of Lugo.

Traditionally, they will take it slow. When Letizia married Felipe in May 2004 it took Zarzuela 8 months to update the official picture of the SRF and change it to one that would include the new family member.

Duke, the divorce will be official when it will be official. They have reached an agreement, but the divorce must be signed for a judge and must be registered in the register of the Royal Family, and this process lasts two or three months. Only then it will be really official, and Jaime will stop being Duke and will disappear of the web. The Royal Household is adjusting to the legality, and does not take from Jaime what legally still corresponds to him.

Does anyone know if Jaime has maintained his title of Duke after the divorce from Elena?

Does anyone know if Jaime has maintained his title of Duke after the divorce from Elena?

Not, the Duchy of Lugo is of the Infanta Elena, Jaime only can use it for his marriage with her. The King might grant another title to Jaime, but it is not known if he will do it.

Updated- the divorce is official

Their divorce is now official.
Jaime de Marichalar is not a member of the Royal Family anymore.
The Royal Household of His Majesty the King_ Welcome

On the 21st January 2010, the Court Decree dissolving, by common consent, the marriage between H.R.H. The Infanta Elena and H.E. Jaime de Marichalar y Sáenz de Tejada was recorded at the Civil Register of the Royal Family.

The way things were going between them, the divoce seeems to me the most logical decision.

Elena's divorce, 2 divorces for Infanta Maria Pilar (her daughter and her son), 1 divorce for King's Simeon son, all the children of the Duchesse d' Albe are divorced..
Is the matrimonial life in Spain so difficult ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom