The Dukes of Lugo Announce Separation (2007) & Divorce (2009)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
YOu might be correct giov, I will have to do some more research, but in my Roman Catholic upbringing, I was taught that children of an annulled marriage were considered illegitimate. I will get back to you with what I find.

None the less, there are no grounds for annulment that we know of, and I can't imagine after such a long and fruitful marriage that there would be.

YOu might be correct giov, I will have to do some more research, but in my Roman Catholic upbringing, I was taught that children of an annulled marriage were considered illegitimate. I will get back to you with what I find.

None the less, there are no grounds for annulment that we know of, and I can't imagine after such a long and fruitful marriage that there would be.

What giov writes is right: The children born within marriage keep the status of legitimate also after the annulation of the marriage of their parents

...[snipped]
I don't believe Elena or Zarzuela would use Jaime's drug problem (if there is any) to pave the way for the divorce and the marriage annulment. Jaime is still her children's father and is respected and loved by their two kids. It would be quite scandalous for the SRF too if Jaime did do drug. Anyway, Jaime should definitely file a lawsuit against this magazine if the story is a lie.
I fully agree with you. There is no need to aggravate the already execrable situation children have encountered due to the separation of their parents. I think that Infanta Elena or the Spanish Royal family are not that desperate to get a divorce. Thus, they will not go to extremes to obtain the annulment. Additionally, chances of Infanta Elena's children to ascend the throne are very slim.

Remember what Caroline of Monaco went through to get her marriage to Philippe Junot annulled? It took many, many years - she wanted to legitamize her children by Stefano -

I don't think seeking for annullment is a good idea after years of marriage and 2 children. They would have to give a good reason what would be subject to scandalous gossip. Then, they would be accused of - see grevinnan's post - taking advantage of their position, money, connection in order to get their request granted. Why shouldn't they divorce quietly, like eg Joachim & Alexandra did? Elena is not heiress to the throne, so what?

I think they actually have to be careful of not overdoing it. A smear campaign against Jaime is the last thing Spain needs. Elena has a well paid part time job now, she's making around 200.000 Euros, moved into a new house and should be quiet, do some duties and take care of her children. I think she (and Cristina, btw) are privileged enough and should not openly ask for another privilege - a quick annullment granted by the Vatican - and benefit again from their royal connections.

I don't think that the Vatican would allow a speedy annullment of this high-profile marriage - it would show favortism. As I stated above, the Vatican dragged its feet for many years regarding Caroline of Monaco's request for an annullment. I think that Princess Grace was working on this when she died. I believe that it was well after Stefano's death when the annullment finally came through.

I don't think that the Vatican would allow a speedy annullment of this high-profile marriage - it would show favortism. As I stated above, the Vatican dragged its feet for many years regarding Caroline of Monaco's request for an annullment. I think that Princess Grace was working on this when she died. I believe that it was well after Stefano's death when the annullment finally came through.

I'd rather see sense in Caroline's request than in Elena's if there is any. Junot was clearly not interested in the kind of relationship / marriage Caroline or the church would have in mind. It was bound to fail, therefore short and did not produce any children. Very different to Elena's relationship / marriage to Jaime. We must not forget that they - according to pictures - had very happy times, showing them at ease and truly in love. It was only in recent years - well after Jaime's stroke - that there was a visible strain.

Spanish newspaper ABC has a short article in which it says that Jaime de Marichalar will sue Epoca due to the allegations published in past days. It is clear that regardless of your station in life, aristocrat (like Jaime de Marichalar, consort of the Duchess of of Lugo) or commoner (like Telma, Princess Letizia's sister), everything has a limit and there is a point in time in which you cannot afford to ignore harrassment and the invasion of one's privacy. Interesting, since Jaime was and still is part of the Royal Family (at least until something definite happens); Telma never was. Some suggested she should just take it or hide away (for how long exactly?). Obviously, Jaime has also felt that that was not an option and decided to fight back. Good for him.

Jaime de Marichalar defenderá su honor en los tribunales - ABC2_Casas_Reales - ABC2 - ABC.es

I just hope that all of this stuff in the press is kept away from the children -

I do hope the annulment will not be the way out for this marriage. My main concern is for the happiness and emotional stability of their children.I remember how long it took for Princess Caroline to get an annulment of her marriage to Philippe Junot.
As to the Epoca article about Jaime, if it´s not true I think he should definitively sue them.

Spanish newspaper ABC has a short article in which it says that Jaime de Marichalar will sue Epoca due to the allegations published in past days. It is clear that regardless of your station in life, aristocrat (like Jaime de Marichalar, consort of the Duchess of of Lugo) or commoner (like Telma, Princess Letizia's sister), everything has a limit and there is a point in time in which you cannot afford to ignore harrassment and the invasion of one's privacy. Interesting, since Jaime was and still is part of the Royal Family (at least until something definite happens); Telma never was. Some suggested she should just take it or hide away (for how long exactly?). Obviously, Jaime has also felt that that was not an option and decided to fight back. Good for him.

Jaime de Marichalar defenderá su honor en los tribunales - ABC2_Casas_Reales - ABC2 - ABC.es
What allegations have been made against Jaime?

What allegations have been made against Jaime?

Please see the article in 20Minutes below.

http://www.20minutos.es/noticia/415262/borbon/marichalar/cocaina/
elplural.com - PERIÓDICO DIGITAL PROGRESISTA

According to this article, Epoca published that Infanta Elena had alleged Jaime de Marichalar did drugs. They did not interview neither Infanta Elena nor Jaime de Marichalar, the Royal House denied the information, basically they just came up with the allegation and went ahead and published it.

It has become a habit with certain segment of the press to publish distortions, allegations and outright lies. In the time that the Princes of Asturias have been married we have been innundated with all type of allegations: the Princess cannot have children, the Princess is anorexic, the Princess had artificial insemination and is having a boy, Infanta Leonor is deaf, etc. etc. etc. Since the Royal House has pretty much allowed these rumors and others to run unchecked, I guess they feel pretty safe saying whatever comes to mind. Of course, all this sells really, really well and since the Royal House has done practically nothing, they thought they could continue doing so with impunity. Hopefully, this will change.

I really think they should get divorced as soon as they can. If they really want the divorce, they are separed already... so way delay things more???? This situation is good for the press start inventing stories, so they need and they should get their divorced as soon as possible! I cannot understand why they don't take this decision. Their kids know already that they are separeted, they live in different houses, they don't share anything, so why delay things???I cannot understand:bang: If they don't have their situation solve they should do that, because they are married persons and they don't live together, they are separated, they don't share anything more 8only the kids of course), so why still married???

I really think they should get divorced as soon as they can. If they really want the divorce, they are separed already... so way delay things more???? This situation is good for the press start inventing stories, so they need and they should get their divorced as soon as possible! I cannot understand why they don't take this decision. Their kids know already that they are separeted, they live in different houses, they don't share anything, so why delay things???I cannot understand:bang: If they don't have their situation solve they should do that, because they are married persons and they don't live together, they are separated, they don't share anything more 8only the kids of course), so why still married???
I believe that this is a decision that only they can make. No one else's business. If you have ever been through a divorce, you would realize everything is not cut and dry.

I can't understand why you need to be so harsh. I know that you do understand that Elena and Jaime are two grown-up persons who understand the consequences of their actions, much more so since they have children. You think they should get divorced right away, they need to get divorced right away? Well, that is not for you to decide, it's for Elena and Jaime to do so. Who knows if this is only a trial separation, that they may still be trying to patch things up, and that they can't do so by living in the same roof? Only they know what is the best outcome they can agree upon, and they will do so in their own. They don't need people telling them what to do.

I really think they should get divorced as soon as they can.

I agree, mainly because of the upcoming gossip. Besides, I believe divorce it what Elena wants. I have said it before, the Royal House had NEVER announced a separation if there was the slightest chance of reconciliation. They could have remained married and lead separate lifes (probably Zarzuela's preferred solution) but it seems this wasn't an option for Elena. Given they are the Dukes of Lugo and not Mr & Mrs Average things will take time as a divorce is a delicate topic in royalty, but it's pretty obvious what result will stand at the end. The pictures have told their own story over the past years anyway - they both looked miserable at most times and will have tried and tried and tried to avoid the unthinkable for the SRF - until Elena reached her point of no return and moved out with her children. When looking at her now she has clearly blossomed since the sepraration and is looking for a new and more joyful chapter of her life where Jaime is not included any longer.

I really think they should get divorced as soon as they can. If they really want the divorce, they are separed already... so way delay things more????
I agree, if they both want to divorce and they are already separated, there's no need to wait, IMO.

I am inclined to agree with RhapsodyBrat (see post#258). We are not privy to any special information concerning relationships between Duke and Duchess of Lugo. Right Duke of Marmalade is noting that Zarzuela would prefer the couple in question to be separated, but not divorced. Perhaps, Infanta Elena has agreed to entertian the idea of living separately and thus, has not taken any further steps towards a divorce.

I feel very strongly that the relationship between two people are nobody's business except themselves.

At the Comtesse de Paris Auction, a small silver box was sold : Elena and Jaime 1995.

I think that if the Duke of Lugo did not had important healthproblems after he played tennis ? they should always be to-gether. Jaime's face completely changed since then . That is sad .. and that is life.

You have a good point. I heard that Jaime didn't want the divorce. I think Zarzuela doesn't want an ugly divorce, Elena also wants to protect the children, thus they are giving Jaime a little more time.

At the Comtesse de Paris Auction, a small silver box was sold : Elena and Jaime 1995.

I think that if the Duke of Lugo did not had important healthproblems after he played tennis ? they should always be to-gether. Jaime's face completely changed since then . That is sad .. and that is life.

Their marriage had already been in trouble before Jaime's stroke. I think Elena was waiting for her brother to settle down to leave her hubby.

... I heard that Jaime didn't want the divorce. I think Zarzuela doesn't want an ugly divorce, Elena also wants to protect the children, thus they are giving Jaime a little more time. [snipped]
That is an interesting development. Is there anything wrong with living separated?

That is an interesting development. Is there anything wrong with living separated?

It works OK now since neither seems to have a new partner. It can be a problem though if one day Elena finds a new boyfriend and wants to get married again.

I see... At this moment Infanta Elena can wait for further developments. Given your words (see post#265), Don Jaime has got a rather strong incentive (I am not sure what this incetive might be) to be legally married to Infanta Elena. This can explain his reluctance to complete the process.

I found it very strange, many other Royal couples have been divorced, so what's wrong with them? I don't know...are they going to live all their lifes like this? Separation only ends with couple's dutties ( fidelity, dwelling together... ) but only divorce ends with the marriage, so maybe they want to keep their marriage for some other reasons despite love :rolleyes:

There is something I've wanted to know ever since they got married: does Infanta Elena hold the title Duchess of Lugo suo jure or as spouse of the Duke of Lugo? If she holds it as the Duke of Lugo's spouse, wouldn't she lose the title if divorce occurs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom