The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal Family of Spain > Infanta Elena and Children

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-28-2007, 12:03 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina View Post
According to the article, she is fed up with all this fuss about her separation and today she told them "Let's calm down a bit, ok?"
She did good!
The reports are too annoying with Elena in this period.
What do they expect Elena to tell them about her separation, while walking in the street?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon View Post
I doubt the King will let Jaime keep the title. Elena might remarry later, and it would be confusing to have 2 Dukes of Lugo.
I think it would be nicer to let him keep the name, but not the privileges of the Duchy. He is still the father of Elena's children, who have grown up knowing that their father is the Duke of Lugo.

Old 11-28-2007, 12:19 PM
Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanletizia View Post
COLD MEETING OF LUGO DUQUES AFTER THE ANNOUNCEMENT OF THEIR SEPARATION

Galerías de imágenes

More

Deadline
This couple has already looked awkward when they were still together and therefore I did not expect to see a smile or a hug now that they have separated. I hope they will still do things together as a family though and the kids will able to enjoy themselves.

I wonder how their Xmas card will look this year. I thought that they always had terrific cards, 2006 in the tree and 2005 in the swimmingpool. They looked like a happy family, sadly it was not meant to be.

Old 11-28-2007, 12:51 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanletizia View Post
..."Jaime de Marichalar again at Infant's Elena house, after picking their sons from the college."...

forgive me for my ignorence but...huh?!
Old 11-28-2007, 01:32 PM
Heir Presumptive

most likely a translation issue... huh...
Old 11-28-2007, 05:17 PM
Heir Apparent

Elena's face say everything...

He even doesn't came in.
Old 11-28-2007, 07:46 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnik View Post
Elena's face say everything...

He even doesn't came in.
At least she came to the door.
Old 11-28-2007, 08:06 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessElena View Post
..."Jaime de Marichalar again at Infant's Elena house, after picking their sons from the college."...

forgive me for my ignorence but...huh?!

Its a rough translation, but its good though I'm pretty sure that it means that Jaime is bring the kids home from school again.
Old 11-29-2007, 03:11 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Diana and Fergie didn't keep their titles. Diana, Princess of Wales and Sarah, Duchess of York were no titles but sort of surnames. If Diana and Sarah were married to MRs Smiths, they would be Mrs Diana and Mrs Sarah Smith.
Both of them lost their titles the moment their divrces were finalized.

I doubt the King will let Jaime keep the title. Elena might remarry later, and it would be confusing to have 2 Dukes of Lugo.
Had Andrew married again, what would his 2nd wife be called ? 'xyz, Duchess of York' if it's just sort of surname ?
Old 11-29-2007, 07:15 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnaK View Post
Had Andrew married again, what would his 2nd wife be called ? 'xyz, Duchess of York' if it's just sort of surname ?
Should Andrew remarry, his new wife would be "X, The Duchess of York", while Sarah would remain Sarah, Duchess of York (without The). The is crucial in this case, without it 'Duchess of York' is something like a surname, rather then a title.

You will find more information about it in this thread - Questions About Titles.
Queen Elizabeth: "I cannot lead you into battle, I do not give you laws or administer justice but I can do something else, I can give you my heart and my devotion to these old islands and to all the peoples of our brotherhood of nations." God, Save The Queen!
Old 11-29-2007, 07:31 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Should Andrew remarry, his new wife would be "X, The Duchess of York", while Sarah would remain Sarah, Duchess of York (without The). The is crucial in this case, without it 'Duchess of York' is something like a surname, rather then a title.

You will find more information about it in this thread - Questions About Titles.
You are right Avalon but is does sound odd, doesn't it. Probably another reason why Andrew has not remarried since
Old 11-29-2007, 10:49 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardenbabe13844 View Post
Its a rough translation, but its good though I'm pretty sure that it means that Jaime is bring the kids home from school again.
thanks

Looking at those pictuers...I really feel sad for the children...
Old 11-30-2007, 01:24 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by giov View Post
I think it would be nicer to let him keep the name, but not the privileges of the Duchy. He is still the father of Elena's children, who have grown up knowing that their father is the Duke of Lugo.
The Juan Carlos era marked a major change for Spanish nobility. All Spanish titles are courtesy and totally meaningless. They carry no privileges or prerogatives, and this is one among many steps taken by JC that have endeared him to the people of Spain. Except for few titles of nobility such as that of Duke/Duchess of Alba which carries major international prestige due to local history, its connection to the british peerage, the immense fortune etc, most Spanish titles have no attached value other than standing as testimony of aristocratic origin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon

Actually, should Andrew remarry, his new wife would be "The Duchess of York" without her first name in front of the title for the simple reason that the definite article The refers to the one and only holder of the substantive title, the new wife. Sarah lost both, her style (ie the HRH) and her substantive title and was left with the honorific, courtesy (and meaningless) title, Duchess of York preceded by her first name, in order to distinguish her from a possible new wife of the Duke. As a non-British European, I am intrigued by the fact that Britain has turned the study of peerage and titles into a precise science. By merely rearranging the title ie a) by deleting the definite article The and b) prefacing it by the holder's first name, justice is served to the divorce'e by granting her continued status and dignity, whileprecluding confusion between the holders of the substantive and the courtesy title!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisiñaki
The Duchy of Lugo is a title the King gave to his daughter, Jaime is only the consort, so at the moment of a divorce, he will lose the title and if Elena gets married once again, her husband (if he's not a royal) will get the title

I would be inclined to agree with you that Jaime de Marichalar will lose his title the moment divorce becomes in effect, not only because the Infanta is a suo jure [in her own rights, by royal decree] duchess and he, only by association, but also due to the fact that if the marriage gets annulled by the Catholic Church, the annulment would be somewhat in conflict with his matrimony-acquired titular status, should it remain unchanged.
As for the next husband, should he not be a nobleman, my intuition tells me that he would not be very eager to "inherit" a title previously held by husband #1 and the father of his step-children. I feel there is something psychologically awkward there. After all, it is only an ad personam peerage and even without it he may still be styled HE and even get elevated to a grandee.
Old 12-23-2007, 08:03 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

Thanks for these pictures Redferns. Is this relationship confirmed?
He looks like an older version of Jaime, imagine him younger and with black hair; he would easily win a Jaime lookalike contest. But no disrespect; I hope that Elena finally finds a person she can share her life & interests with and who will make her happy.
Old 12-23-2007, 08:37 AM
Imperial Majesty

For what it has commented on the press, only they are friends, if there is someone is not this man. These photos are old, apparently this man and the Infanta know themselves for many years, he has been her equine trainer and they are very good friends. But only that. It seems that they have taken advantage that existed photos with him to have topic to talk about.
Old 12-23-2007, 08:41 AM
Courtier

This was sad news .. Very sad news. I hope Victoria and Felipe will be fine, that's what matters .. So is this Just separation, or will they get divorced in about 6 months ?
Old 12-23-2007, 09:04 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by lula View Post
For what it has commented on the press, only they are friends, if there is someone is not this man. These photos are old, apparently this man and the Infanta know themselves for many years, he has been her equine trainer and they are very good friends. But only that. It seems that they have taken advantage that existed photos with him to have topic to talk about.
I agree, this is one theory. On the other hand, I wouldn't be surprised if Elena stepped out with a new partner quite soon keeping in mind that her marriage is apparently on the rocks for some years now.

I don't believe a second that she will go back to Jaime but rather divorce as soon as the whole process allows her to. I see her remarrying at some point in the future, this time a man who completely suits her interests and brings some joy into her life although her children remain priority # 1
Old 12-24-2007, 03:24 AM
Courtier

Yup I do believe too that there will be no reconciliation and will end up in divorce.
Old 01-02-2008, 02:04 AM
Nobility

Smile I am out of the loop ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nichola View Post
Oh dear! This news is sad...although I can't say I'm surprised considering the rumours that have been circulating for a number of years.
I / Abbie am out of the loop ... WHAT rumours, may I ask?

I see photos of Jaime and he always looks so ANGRY, embittered.
He gave testy responses to our "W" Magazine about 3 years ago when it interviewed European Royals on/about their lives and lifestyles. I wish I could remember the issue-date of that 'zine so I could site it for all of you, but I cannot.

Can someone bring me into the loop, please?

Thank you,

-- Abbie
Old 01-02-2008, 02:17 AM
Nobility

Question Miscarriage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilytornado View Post
Many think it was because of the stroke... I don't know. Things like this can be a strain to marriage, also, maybe Elena's miscarriage a few years ago...
Who knows, in the end probably only them.
It is very sad and I hope it still works out whatever way they choose to go.
Wow!

I hadn't known The Infanta had had a miscarriage

Tags
elena, infanta elena, jaime de marichalar, separation