The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal Family of Spain > Infanta Elena and Children

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-23-2007, 08:10 AM
Serene Highness
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalProtocol View Post
What a pity, though I have to say it was inevitable.It was a nice wedding but I have some questions:

Will His Excellency keep his title and what will happen to his family tiara she wears and will he be included in future state occasions???
Today I bought magazine Hola and it has an article that says that if the couple decide for the divorce, Jaime should abdicate of his title as Duke of Lugo. By other words, after the divorce, Jaime won't be a Duke anymore. Elena remains Duchess of Lugo, obviously.

Old 11-23-2007, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina View Post
Today I bought magazine Hola and it has an article that says that if the couple decide for the divorce, Jaime should abdicate of his title as Duke of Lugo. By other words, after the divorce, Jaime won't be a Duke anymore. Elena remains Duchess of Lugo, obviously.
Thanks, Regina, is this an official poicly or just an idea in Hola, though it seems sensible.

The only similar situation I can think of (in terms of The King's daughter) is Princess Margaret when she divorced Armstrong-Jones he remained the Earl of Snowdon and I think his new wife even became the Countess of Snowdon, which Margaret was as well.

God Save The Queen!

Old 11-23-2007, 11:33 AM
Heir Apparent

QEII gave the title to Lord Snowdon, the title is his, Margaret was the consort Countess and that's why his new wife got the new title as well, and that's why Viscount Linley will get the Earldom when his father dies, the title is for-life and hereditary

The Duchy of Lugo is a title the King gave to his daughter, Jaime is only the consort, so at the moment of a divorce, he will lose the title and if Elena gets married once again, her husband (if he's not a royal) will get the title
Froilán won't get his mother's title, is not hereditary
Old 11-23-2007, 05:53 PM
Royal Highness

Thank you for the explanation.
Old 11-23-2007, 08:32 PM
Serene Highness
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisiñaki View Post

The Duchy of Lugo is a title the King gave to his daughter, Jaime is only the consort, so at the moment of a divorce, he will lose the title and if Elena gets married once again, her husband (if he's not a royal) will get the title
Thanks crisiñaki!
I just want to add that this title was given by the King to his daughter Elena few days before she gets married. It was like a wedding gift
Old 11-24-2007, 10:44 PM
Courtier

Since their divorce is only temporary I've got one question though... Will Jaime's title remain that of being the Duke of Lugo? Since their title was given by the King so I'm assuming he will keep the title but once they can't settle their marriage and end up divorcing (I'm hoping this won't happen since as been said it was only temporary), will he keep the title? Or will he be the next Count of Ripalda? Is he the eldest son or is the title of his father transferrable to his sons?
Old 11-24-2007, 10:47 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by madeleine victoria View Post
Since their divorce is only temporary I've got one question though... Will Jaime's title remain that of being the Duke of Lugo? Since their title was given by the King so I'm assuming he will keep the title but once they can't settle their marriage and end up divorcing (I'm hoping this won't happen since as been said it was only temporary), will he keep the title? Or will he be the next Count of Ripalda? Is he the eldest son or is the title of his father transferrable to his sons?
I guess my question has been answered . He won't retain the title once the divorce is final.
Old 11-24-2007, 11:14 PM
Gentry

Quote:
I always found him a bit weird. Especially when I read that right after Froilan's birth, Jaime told to the press "He looks just like his mother... the poor one"
It seems to me she should have unloaded him a long time ago. What a jerk!
Old 11-25-2007, 12:56 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by madeleine victoria View Post
Jaime's father died in 1979, he's the fourth son, the actual Count of Ripalda is his oldest brother Amalio (born in 1958), so Jaime would never be the next Count of Ripalda unless almost everybody in his family died

He cannot keep the title of Duke of Lugo, since it wasn't given to him, the Duchy title belongs to Elena, so whoever is married to her has the consort title of Duke of Lugo
Old 11-25-2007, 05:59 PM
Nobility

It wasn't a surprise to me. It would be a surprise if Cristina & Iñaki, Frederik & Mary or WA & Máxima annouced their separation.
It never seemed to me that Elena and Jaime were in love with each other. Ok, a lot of couples don't seem in love but really love each other but Elena and Jaime never looked like they were connected. I remember when they got married I've read a report on a magazine about the wedding. Probably it's very hard for them that everybody are talking about the reasons of their separation/divorce. Just the two of them and their family and close friend know about the reasons and the media shoud have respect their privacy.
I work as a lawyer and everyday I talk to someone who wants to get a separation or a divorce. For almost everyone is hard to keep a marriage and it's got nothing to do with being a royal or a commoner. Royals in the past don't get a divorce because it wasn't allowed, so the marriage used to last until the death of one of the couple, even if they hate each other after some time.
In some cases the divorce is the best choice and for some people it means relief and joy, specially to women who have suffered a lot during their marriage (and it's very common, as I see in my work).
Old 11-25-2007, 08:02 PM
Courtier

It seemed to me that at events just prior to the announcement of their separation, Elena looked more happier and smiling than she has been in quite a while.

Stellad
Old 11-26-2007, 04:34 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellad View Post
It seemed to me that at events just prior to the announcement of their separation, Elena looked more happier and smiling than she has been in quite a while.

Stellad
I agree. She looked much more relaxed before the announcement than she had in a very long time.
Old 11-26-2007, 04:44 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by lula View Post
It is not true that it is the first time ... the first separation was in 1900, the Infanta Eulalia daughter of Isabel II separated of her husband.

The fifth break in the Royal Family

La Razón | Digital : España

Alfonso XIII and Queen Ena had a rather ugly split according to one of the Queen's recent biographers. She told him she "never wanted to see his UGLY face again!" and they lived apart for the rest of their lives. But they never divorced...they just lived separately and she was at the King's side when he died.

I feel very badly for everyone involved in in this situation. The pain of a failing marriage is ghastly for "normal" couples, so can you imagine living out this trauma before thousands of flashbulbs and everyone weighing in with an opinion on TV and in print? It is terrible to follow the Infanta as she takes her children to school. Leave her the hell alone for now!
Old 11-27-2007, 12:40 PM
Serene Highness
TRF Author

Que me dices.com has an article saying that Dona Elena lost her patience with the reporters that were waiting her at her children's private school. Day after day, these reporters don't loose their chance to ask her about her separation. According to the article, she is fed up with all this fuss about her separation and today she told them "Let's calm down a bit, ok?"
Old 11-27-2007, 04:18 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Que me dices.com has an article saying that Dona Elena lost her patience with the reporters that were waiting her at her children's private school. Day after day, these reporters don't loose their chance to ask her about her separation. According to the article, she is fed up with all this fuss about her separation and today she told them "Let's calm down a bit, ok?"
I think that at this point in time, both Infanta Elena and Don Jaime are allowed to take/pick up their children in peace. This is getting ridiculous.
Old 11-28-2007, 02:18 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
QEII gave the title to Lord Snowdon, the title is his, Margaret was the consort Countess and that's why his new wife got the new title as well, and that's why Viscount Linley will get the Earldom when his father dies, the title is for-life and hereditary

Isn't there a Spanish Duchy that passes from mother to daughter? I want to say it's the Duchess of Alba but I'm not sure. I think it would be nice if there were more titles that passed down the female lines .
Old 11-28-2007, 03:32 AM
Heir Apparent

Cayetana got the Duchy of Alba, because she was an only child, but it still passes through the male line, she has a lot of sons (including the eldest one, Carlos, Duke of Huescar and heir of the Alba)
Old 11-28-2007, 04:55 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:

Diana and Fergie got to keep their title without HRH. If the King is generous enough, maybe Jaime will keep his title or get a new title (the later is more likely).
Old 11-28-2007, 05:39 AM
Heir Apparent

COLD MEETING OF LUGO DUQUES AFTER THE ANNOUNCEMENT OF THEIR SEPARATION

Galerías de imágenes

More

Deadline
Old 11-28-2007, 07:20 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnaK View Post
Diana and Fergie got to keep their title without HRH. If the King is generous enough, maybe Jaime will keep his title or get a new title (the later is more likely).
Diana and Fergie didn't keep their titles. Diana, Princess of Wales and Sarah, Duchess of York were no titles but sort of surnames. If Diana and Sarah were married to MRs Smiths, they would be Mrs Diana and Mrs Sarah Smith.
Both of them lost their titles the moment their divrces were finalized.

I doubt the King will let Jaime keep the title. Elena might remarry later, and it would be confusing to have 2 Dukes of Lugo.

Queen Elizabeth: "I cannot lead you into battle, I do not give you laws or administer justice but I can do something else, I can give you my heart and my devotion to these old islands and to all the peoples of our brotherhood of nations." God, Save The Queen!

Tags
elena, infanta elena, jaime de marichalar, separation