The Dukes of Lugo Announce Separation (2007) & Divorce (2009)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the answer.

I think it's all so sad - I like them both, Jaime and Elena.

I think what some posters are saying may be the case: that the stroke triggered something in Jaime that affected and changed his personality potentially. Things he did or did not like before, he now does?

I don't know if a stroke can really change a personality. It can change the behaviour but I'm not sure about personality. Anyway, I always found him a bit weird. Especially when I read that right after Froilan's birth, Jaime told to the press "He looks just like his mother... the poor one" :ermm:

If that's true, it is really a shame. Mind you he is not top model either !:eek:

Especially when I read that right after Froilan's birth, Jaime told to the press "He looks just like his mother... the poor one" :ermm:

Whaaaat!:eek:
I didn't know that! How rude:eek:, what a lack of elegance and sensitiveness!
Above all, how could he say that about the woman whom he was supposed to be in love with and who just gave birth to his son?

Anyway, I always found him a bit weird. Especially when I read that right after Froilan's birth, Jaime told to the press "He looks just like his mother... the poor one" :ermm:

Then, to make up for that, he said at Victoria's birth that she looked like her mother and was lucky. I think this only made things worse by reminding people of what he said the first time about Froilan.

Whaaaat!:eek:
I didn't know that! How rude:eek:, what a lack of elegance and sensitiveness!
Above all, how could he say that about the woman whom he was supposed to be in love with and who just gave birth to his son?

Yes, it's shocking indeed. Now, after Elena and Jaime separation, some magazines (Diez Minutos article) mention this weird episode once more.

I remember the magazine I read at the time said he probably didn't really mean that. The cause of such statement was probably the tension and nerves he was feeling after the birth. When Victoria was born, he said to the press "Thank God, and I say well this time, thank God, the girl looks like his mother"... You can read it here (El Mundo, spanish article)

That sounds scary :ohmy: like the grey men handed over a list to Elena "it's time now! there are ten suitable guys would be great if you would pick one out of the top 3". I hope it wasn't like this.

I doubt Jaime was on Their Majesty's" top 3 suitable candidates" list.There were reports of the couple breaking up shortly before their engagement/marriage was announced perhaps, there were early signs of trouble in the couple's relationship. I wonder what things would've been had she married DukeEberhard von Wuerttemberg from the beginning? :rolleyes:

What an awful new! It never had happened before in Spain. I see it as the first moments of the end. Monarchy in Spain is not the same than it was. It's a disaster...:ohmy::bang:

Vanesa.

What an awful new! It never had happened before in Spain. I see it as the first moments of the end. Monarchy in Spain is not the same than it was. It's a disaster...:ohmy::bang:

Vanesa.

It is not true that it is the first time ... the first separation was in 1900, the Infanta Eulalia daughter of Isabel II separated of her husband.

The fifth break in the Royal Family

La Razón | Digital : España

Fifth or next but it's (probably) the first in the present SRF.

I doubt Jaime was on Their Majesty's" top 3 suitable candidates" list.There were reports of the couple breaking up shortly before their engagement/marriage was announced perhaps, there were early signs of trouble in the couple's relationship. I wonder what things would've been had she married DukeEberhard von Wuerttemberg from the beginning? :rolleyes:

Sofia and Diane to be mother-in-law of each other's kid ? :eek: Eberhard isn't married, is he ? I wonder if he still likes women.
I heard Sofia had always liked Jaime.

has it ever occured to anyone that maybe the couple wanted a bigger personal space?

I've read about couples who lived apart from each other but are not separated in the legal sense. one such couple went back to their own apartments after their wedding; the husband was a tenor and didn't want to be a bother when he was rehearsing. the thing though about these couples is that they've never fallen out of love.

in some way i hope that's what happened to Jaime and Infanta Elena.

The worst inthis sad private story is the incredible behaviour of the press. Actually is it necessary for the information to harass the Duke of Lugo at each time he is looking at his children at school? Actually is it necessary for the news of the day to harass the Duke of Lugo when he is going to lunch with his mother and his children? To have the best pic, the reporters are going to shot just under the nose of Jaime of Marichilar. This behaviour is totally undecent, we can imagine what the children can think about this kind of people who aren't abble to keep cool because itsn't at all information, is the looking of the best shot to sell it at the best price. It's not new but it's absolutly astonishing to see how the journalists aren't able to stop. It's ok, now we know all that we have to know, for the else, that's all please Misters the journalists, I have something like a bad remember in my mind!

has it ever occured to anyone that maybe the couple wanted a bigger personal space?

I've read about couples who lived apart from each other but are not separated in the legal sense. one such couple went back to their own apartments after their wedding; the husband was a tenor and didn't want to be a bother when he was rehearsing. the thing though about these couples is that they've never fallen out of love.

in some way i hope that's what happened to Jaime and Infanta Elena.

I hope it's that way too. My cousin and her husband have a relationship like that. They have separate apartments but are still married and truly love each other.

The worst inthis sad private story is the incredible behaviour of the press. Actually is it necessary for the information to harass the Duke of Lugo at each time he is looking at his children at school? Actually is it necessary for the news of the day to harass the Duke of Lugo when he is going to lunch with his mother and his children? To have the best pic, the reporters are going to shot just under the nose of Jaime of Marichilar. This behaviour is totally undecent, we can imagine what the children can think about this kind of people who aren't abble to keep cool because itsn't at all information, is the looking of the best shot to sell it at the best price. It's not new but it's absolutly astonishing to see how the journalists aren't able to stop. It's ok, now we know all that we have to know, for the else, that's all please Misters the journalists, I have something like a bad remember in my mind!

Sadly we cannot be surprised since Carla has been chased all over the place since Erika's death. I don't worry too much about the Duke but I'd draw the line as soon as children are involved. They should be left alone and be entitled to a special protection from the media. Adults are free to act and responsible for themselves, children are not and it's a shame that the media can exploit and get away with it. These times must be especially tough for Felipe & Victoria and the paparazzi should show some respect. There are still plenty of opportunities to take pics of the Duke and Elena when they appear in public on their own.

These two little children brokes my heart...and not only now , that their parents are divorcing. There is something in their little faces that makes me think about. Hope the papparazzies would let them a lone for a while.

As for "marriage is not always walking in the beach" and the question that everyone must be divorcing cause of it, I find it absurd. It's TRUE that marriage has their problems, but this is normal, and a simple little disagrement must not lead to divorce as it is today. A couple has a problem? Well; no problem. They divorces. What an absurd...It's like having trouble with some friend and broke with him/her, for ever...Of course, major problems could eventually allow divorce, but I find that people from nowadays, who has ther word "tolerance" in their mouth more than any other, are , really very intolerant, childish and stubborn. I don't know exactly why the Lugo's choosed to part, nor is my problem. Maybe they had real reasons to it. But I do not agree about that all couples must be divorcing. This is plain egoism and a disaster for society.

Vanesa.

These two little children brokes my heart...and not only now , that their parents are divorcing. There is something in their little faces that makes me think about. Hope the papparazzies would let them a lone for a while.

As for "marriage is not always walking in the beach" and the question that everyone must be divorcing cause of it, I find it absurd. It's TRUE that marriage has their problems, but this is normal, and a simple little disagrement must not lead to divorce as it is today. A couple has a problem? Well; no problem. They divorces. What an absurd...It's like having trouble with some friend and broke with him/her, for ever...Of course, major problems could eventually allow divorce, but I find that people from nowadays, who has ther word "tolerance" in their mouth more than any other, are , really very intolerant, childish and stubborn. I don't know exactly why the Lugo's choosed to part, nor is my problem. Maybe they had real reasons to it. But I do not agree about that all couples must be divorcing. This is plain egoism and a disaster for society.

Vanesa.

a divorce is always bad no matter what. sometimes it is needed but other times the couple should think well before signing the papers for a divorce. i have friends who were happy when their parents had divorced cause its hard to watch them fighting 24 hours a day, but others friends of mine had suffered deeply (they still do) cause one of the parents simply had decided to go away... to beggin a new life with someone else. This traumatized them so much that today they are grown enough and they cant get married. they are always in panic if their boyfriend gets tired and leave them.

we dont know what will happen with Lugo's children but i didnt like to see the sad face of elena everytime she was with jaime in same event. children are young but they understand mom and dad don't like eachother. I agree with you, Vanesa, about divorce I was lucky enough to grow up in a very strong and unite family , but sometimes a divorce it's the only solution for everyone. :(

What a pity, though I have to say it was inevitable.It was a nice wedding but I have some questions:

Will His Excellency keep his title and what will happen to his family tiara she wears and will he be included in future state occasions???

Having read so many articles hinting at a possible separation, it is not surprising to read today's news. However, it is still very sad to read the official announcement.

I agree with you. Although the seperation was predictable and is not surprising, it sad to learn that the Dukes of Lugo have separated.

What a pity, though I have to say it was inevitable.It was a nice wedding but I have some questions:

Will His Excellency keep his title and what will happen to his family tiara she wears and will he be included in future state occasions???

Today I bought magazine Hola and it has an article that says that if the couple decide for the divorce, Jaime should abdicate of his title as Duke of Lugo. By other words, after the divorce, Jaime won't be a Duke anymore. Elena remains Duchess of Lugo, obviously.

Today I bought magazine Hola and it has an article that says that if the couple decide for the divorce, Jaime should abdicate of his title as Duke of Lugo. By other words, after the divorce, Jaime won't be a Duke anymore. Elena remains Duchess of Lugo, obviously.

Thanks, Regina, is this an official poicly or just an idea in Hola, though it seems sensible.

The only similar situation I can think of (in terms of The King's daughter) is Princess Margaret when she divorced Armstrong-Jones he remained the Earl of Snowdon and I think his new wife even became the Countess of Snowdon, which Margaret was as well.

QEII gave the title to Lord Snowdon, the title is his, Margaret was the consort Countess and that's why his new wife got the new title as well, and that's why Viscount Linley will get the Earldom when his father dies, the title is for-life and hereditary

The Duchy of Lugo is a title the King gave to his daughter, Jaime is only the consort, so at the moment of a divorce, he will lose the title and if Elena gets married once again, her husband (if he's not a royal) will get the title :flowers:
Froilán won't get his mother's title, is not hereditary

The Duchy of Lugo is a title the King gave to his daughter, Jaime is only the consort, so at the moment of a divorce, he will lose the title and if Elena gets married once again, her husband (if he's not a royal) will get the title :flowers:
Froilán won't get his mother's title, is not hereditary

Thanks crisiñaki!
I just want to add that this title was given by the King to his daughter Elena few days before she gets married. It was like a wedding gift :)

Since their divorce is only temporary I've got one question though... Will Jaime's title remain that of being the Duke of Lugo? Since their title was given by the King so I'm assuming he will keep the title but once they can't settle their marriage and end up divorcing (I'm hoping this won't happen since as been said it was only temporary), will he keep the title? Or will he be the next Count of Ripalda? Is he the eldest son or is the title of his father transferrable to his sons? :ermm:

Since their divorce is only temporary I've got one question though... Will Jaime's title remain that of being the Duke of Lugo? Since their title was given by the King so I'm assuming he will keep the title but once they can't settle their marriage and end up divorcing (I'm hoping this won't happen since as been said it was only temporary), will he keep the title? Or will he be the next Count of Ripalda? Is he the eldest son or is the title of his father transferrable to his sons? :ermm:

I guess my question has been answered :lol:. He won't retain the title once the divorce is final. :ermm:

I always found him a bit weird. Especially when I read that right after Froilan's birth, Jaime told to the press "He looks just like his mother... the poor one" :ermm:
It seems to me she should have unloaded him a long time ago. What a jerk! :mad:

Jaime's father died in 1979, he's the fourth son, the actual Count of Ripalda is his oldest brother Amalio (born in 1958), so Jaime would never be the next Count of Ripalda unless almost everybody in his family died :ermm:

He cannot keep the title of Duke of Lugo, since it wasn't given to him, the Duchy title belongs to Elena, so whoever is married to her has the consort title of Duke of Lugo

It wasn't a surprise to me. It would be a surprise if Cristina & Iñaki, Frederik & Mary or WA & Máxima annouced their separation.
It never seemed to me that Elena and Jaime were in love with each other. Ok, a lot of couples don't seem in love but really love each other but Elena and Jaime never looked like they were connected. I remember when they got married I've read a report on a magazine about the wedding. Probably it's very hard for them that everybody are talking about the reasons of their separation/divorce. Just the two of them and their family and close friend know about the reasons and the media shoud have respect their privacy.
I work as a lawyer and everyday I talk to someone who wants to get a separation or a divorce. For almost everyone is hard to keep a marriage and it's got nothing to do with being a royal or a commoner. Royals in the past don't get a divorce because it wasn't allowed, so the marriage used to last until the death of one of the couple, even if they hate each other after some time.
In some cases the divorce is the best choice and for some people it means relief and joy, specially to women who have suffered a lot during their marriage (and it's very common, as I see in my work).

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom