The Dukes of Lugo Announce Separation (2007) & Divorce (2009)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
According to the article, the Queen was against the divorce. Her priority is maintaining the essence of the Institution of Monarchy, and the Monarchy may require sacrifices, even at the expense of personal life.

Of course. Sofia is the living proof that a senior member of a royal family should put up with everything for the sake of the monarchy, even at the expense of personal life, she was born and raised to do so. There is no doubt of personal sacrifice when taking a closer look at Sofia's marriage to JC, it's full of concession.

Divorce is sad but when people just can't go on what can you do. Annulment, on the other hand, would be ridiculous and a step too far.

Royal couple to divorce

Does the palace have to make an official announcement?

No, at the moment the palace didn't announced nothing new about this matter. But they will do in the future.
So we can say inspite of rumors their divorce isn't still official.

How awful, i was rather hoping they would work through this.
It must be awful for the children being so young. :ermm::sad:

Of course. Sofia is the living proof that a senior member of a royal family should put up with everything for the sake of the monarchy, even at the expense of personal life, she was born and raised to do so. There is no doubt of personal sacrifice when taking a closer look at Sofia's marriage to JC, it's full of concession.

Divorce is sad but when people just can't go on what can you do. Annulment, on the other hand, would be ridiculous and a step too far.

Royal couple to divorce
I fully agree with you. I am saddened to read an official confirmation. I think that the reasons behind separation and divorce will be handled the Danish way. Still marriage annulment has got a more bitter taste than a usual civil divorce.

I fully agree with you. I am saddened to read an official confirmation. I think that the reasons behind separation and divorce will be handled the Danish way. Still marriage annulment has got a more bitter taste than a usual civil divorce.

Yes, like if something is to be erased from the CV, as if it never happened. Still, there are two children and I sincerely doubt Infanta Elena would ever consider a second religious marriage. But maybe an annulment is speculation of the press and there are no intentions.

More coverage, something is around the corner.

Spain's Infanta Elena in process of ending her 14-year marriage - hellomagazine.com
Infanta Elena and Jaime de Marichalar to divorce
Monarquía Confidencial

Would a Catholic divorced couple in Spain be allowed to take communion if they did not have the marriage annulled? I'm pretty sure that civil divorce is not recognized by the Catholic church, and I wonder if they might possibly seek an annulment for those sorts of religious reasons.

The problem with them getting an annulment is that it would make their two children illegitimate.

I don't think that's actually true anymore. I'm pretty sure modern Catholic annulments preserve the legitimacy of any children born during the marriage.

Even in Spain? Then I don't see any difference between an annulment and a divorce.

The Count of Paris received his wedding annulment after 28 years.
But Elena is a catholic King's daughter , Rome will never agree an annulment at the Catholic Spanish Court.
They will divorce before the law, and later they will have only a civil wedding like Caroline de Monaco had twice ..

Even in Spain? Then I don't see any difference between an annulment and a divorce.

I think the problem is that the Church doesn't acknowledge civil divorce at all, so even if you divorce your partner civilly, you are still married in the eyes of the Church (if you were married in a Catholic ceremony). So if either Elena or Jaime wanted to remarry in the Church, they'd have to get an annulment.

:previous: I suppose the civil divorce will allow them to officially end their marriage in every way, except in the eyes of the Church.
They would still be allowed to marry again should they choose, in a civil ceremony, without the charade of an annullment.
Not to mix threads here but the Compte de Paris had petitioned for an annullment on the basis that he was not matured enough to marry and his father forced him to do it without concious intent.( Of forcing his son to marry). I know legal matters have been settled on flimsier bases than that but then again it depends how they may want to word it to claim reasons for an annullment.
I doubt the Casa Real will make any announcements until after the divorce is final.
One thing is certain Queen Sofia is not a happy woman these days.:flowers:

Would a Catholic divorced couple in Spain be allowed to take communion if they did not have the marriage annulled? I'm pretty sure that civil divorce is not recognized by the Catholic church, and I wonder if they might possibly seek an annulment for those sorts of religious reasons.

I'm pretty sure they would only be refused communion should they remarry without an annulment. If they do not remarry there would be mo problem because they would still be considered married in the eyes of the Church; however, remarriage without an annulment would be seen as adultery and that is where the problems arise.

I don't think annullment of a marriage makes any children born from that marriage illigitimate. They would only need this annullment if they would want the opportunity to marry again in Church. If they do not, a civil divorce is enough. However, as of yet there still has been no formal announcement of the Spanish court, so we don't know if they will ask for annullment. And technically, we also don't quite know if they will actually divorce now either. Please keep this in mind...

I think the problem is that the Church doesn't acknowledge civil divorce at all, so even if you divorce your partner civilly, you are still married in the eyes of the Church (if you were married in a Catholic ceremony). So if either Elena or Jaime wanted to remarry in the Church, they'd have to get an annulment.

Yes you are right Ella Kay
The annulment is almost an obligation but not only if case she wanted to remarry. Infanta Elena as daugther of a Roman-Catholic King if she doesn't get annulment of her marriage and in the next years she has a relationship with other man, she couldt take the Comunion, as Ella said Church doesn't acknowledge civil divorce

And as Ladyleana said, please keep in mind that at the moment nothing is official.

I can assure that:
1-communion will be refused to Elena only if she remarries without anulement
2-catholic marriage's anulements NEVER (in all the history of the Church) made the children illegitimate.
By the way, Caroline of Monaco actually had her first wedding annuled by the Vatican, but Stefano Casiraghi was already died. So they never couldn't have a religious wedding, only civil.

The divorce is inevitable, otherwise Zarzuela wouldn't have formally announced the seperation IMO. Requesting an annulment of the marriage is a pure speculation. She can do a civil marriage only in the future if she wants to remarry as long as she is not going to the Queen of Spain.

The divorce is inevitable, otherwise Zarzuela wouldn't have formally announced the seperation IMO. Requesting an annulment of the marriage is a pure speculation. She can do a civil marriage only in the future if she wants to remarry as long as she is not going to the Queen of Spain.
I have to agree with you about Zarzuela and any announcement from them.This is a sad moment when "divorce " might be imminent.

Well, its official to me. I concurr with the comments that the children will not be illegitimate if the an annullment is sought. As a Roman Catholic, I would venture to say that Infanta Elena will want to recieve communion and will seek an annullment over time, weather or not she chooses to remarry or not.

AFP: Spain's Princess Elena to divorce

Is already clear how long it will take until the divorce is to be finalized (= Jaime will be removed from casareal website and give up his title)? Until now it's only an agreement, the actual act of divorce is still to follow.

The title is enjoyed as a courtesy only and held by Infanta Elena in her own right for her lifetime. It was not granted to Jaime in his own right, so it cannot be expected to be retained with divorce.

So pre divorce, Jaime is known as HRH the Duke of Lugo?

Is the Spanish aristocracy similar to the English ie. after her divorce Sarah was known as Sarah, Duchess of York and not The Duchess of York. Will Jaime be known as Jaime, Duke of Lugo?

Last edited:
From what I understand from branchg's post is that Jaime will lose the Duke title altogether after the divorce, but Elena may use the Duchess of Lugo title. Have I understood correctly or do I need another cup of coffee?:)

From what I understand from branchg's post is that Jaime will lose the Duke title altogether after the divorce, but Elena may use the Duchess of Lugo title. Have I understood correctly or do I need another cup of coffee?:)

Spanish princess to divorce after 14 years of marriage : Europe World

Yes this seems to be correct - still the King might grant him some goodies for keeping it civil in the first place. It seems that Elena was the driving force behind the split, not Jaime. He will get his pay-off / reward for not spilling the beans in one way or the other.

So pre divorce, Jaime is known as HRH the Duke of Lugo?

Is the Spanish aristocracy similar to the English ie. after her divorce Sarah was known as Sarah, Duchess of York and not The Duchess of York. Will Jaime be known as Jaime, Duke of Lugo?

Don Jaime was styled His Excellency the Duke of Lugo & was never a HRH,his wife is Royal,but Don Jaime is not .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom