Felipe Juan Froilán de Marichalar's First Communion: May 24, 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder when Letizia will be back. I know she might be breastfeeding but she could have shown up for this family event. Pity!
Even after having a c-section most women are up and running a month after giving birth.
But who knows and we'll have to wait until the christening.

She took three months with Leonor, so it's probably the same with the new baby. ABC said that she didn't go to the mass because she was breastfeeding Sofia, but she was at the familiar reception at the Zarzuela afterwards so maybe she brought the babies with them.

planetcher said:
She took three months with Leonor, so it's probably the same with the new baby. ABC said that she didn't go to the mass because she was breastfeeding Sofia, but she was at the familiar reception at the Zarzuela afterwards so maybe she brought the babies with them.

Ah, thanks. Thought it was strange as this is no professional event but an important family gathering, considering the catholic background of the RSF, and after three weeks she should be well enough to appear shortly in public.

Even in "normal" families you need a good excuse to miss the communion of a close family member so I guess attending the private reception is a good compromise :flowers:

Duke of Marmalade said:
Ah, thanks. Thought it was strange as this is no professional event but an important family gathering, considering the catholic background of the RSF, and after three weeks she should be well enough to appear shortly in public.

Even in "normal" families you need a good excuse to miss the communion of a close family member so I guess attending the private reception is a good compromise :flowers:

I don't think it's a matter of her being well enough or not. The event was organized by Froilan's school, not the royal family. All the students' families had to attend per school requirement including the royals. Maybe Letizia felt it was hard to fit the event in between the two consecutive feedings since she did have to consider other factors such as the transportation, media session and the possible delay. She did go to the private celebration in Zarzuela afterwards according to the press.

At least she went to the party afterwards. Besides, the event wasn't about Letizia or her daughters. Who knows, it may have also been difficult for the small children to sit through.

acdc1 said:
At least she went to the party afterwards. Besides, the event wasn't about Letizia or her daughters. Who knows, it may have also been difficult for the small children to sit through.

I did not expect her to bring the children, they are too small. Not even Cristina brought her children and she could have brought along the older ones - strange as this is a family event and as mentioned earlier, it would have been good for them to see as they are next in line for communion.

I think after Leonors birth she showed up 3 weeks afterwards for JC's anniversary on the throne but I agree that's far more important than the communion of a nephew.

Duke of Marmalade said:
I did not expect her to bring the children, they are too small. Not even Cristina brought her children and she could have brought along the older ones - strange as this is a family event and as mentioned earlier, it would have been good for them to see as they are next in line for communion.

I think after Leonors birth she showed up 3 weeks afterwards for JC's anniversary on the throne but I agree that's far more important than the communion of a nephew.

One important detail: when the Princess of Asturias were at the " besamano" begining of the reception gave by the Kings, it was at the Royal Palace where the Little Leonor could be here very near of her mother. Letizia stayed a very few time and didn't assisted at all the ceremony. We can suppose that she could breast feeded the Little Infanta as soon it was necessary whithout to wait to be at home.

It's not at all the case for this ceremony because it was impossible for the fathers to bring the baby with us. Totally obvious. In fact what's the matter? The Princess of Asturias want to breast feed her girls very seriously - as all she is doing, dixit amongst those close to her - She did for Leonor with a great succes, why she couldn't the same for thelittle Sofia?

The Princess of Asturias had said whitout any unequivocal that, exactly as for Leonord, she was going to devote herself to her little baby girl.:angel:

In my opinion, it dosen't mean that she don't work at her office because, as we know, the informations are a drug for her, but she stay at home with the consensus of the Royal House.

Why do want look for trubbles when nobody in the circle of the Princess of Asturias are against this very good decison for a baby. Three months very important for a new born aren't decisive for the Princess of Asturias 's life.

adelaide said:
One important detail: when the Princess of Asturias were at the " besamano" begining of the reception gave by the Kings, it was at the Royal Palace where the Little Leonor could be here very near of her mother. Letizia stayed a very few time and didn't assisted at all the ceremony. We can suppose that she could breast feeded the Little Infanta as soon it was necessary whithout to wait to be at home.

It's not at all the case for this ceremony because it was impossible for the fathers to bring the baby with us. Totally obvious. In fact what's the matter? The Princess of Asturias want to breast feed her girls very seriously - as all she is doing, dixit amongst those close to her - She did for Leonor with a great succes, why she couldn't the same for thelittle Sofia?

The Princess of Asturias had said whitout any unequivocal that, exactly as for Leonord, she was going to devote herself to her little baby girl.:angel:

In my opinion, it dosen't mean that she don't work at her office because, as we know, the informations are a drug for her, but she stay at home with the consensus of the Royal House.

Why do want look for trubbles when nobody in the circle of the Princess of Asturias are against this very good decison for a baby. Three months very important for a new born aren't decisive for the Princess of Asturias 's life.

Nothing wrong with devoting herself to her baby daughter for 3 months if she's able to do so. But to me that sounds like an enormous privilege that most women can't afford neither time wise nor money wise.

As she's the Princess of Asturias and people want to see her back in the spotlight for different reasons I don't think she can afford to stay away for so long. I am pretty sure we'll see her way before end of August, maybe not on an official agenda but she'll appear in public for whatever occasions. And why not? She has given birth as millions of other woman do every day and most of them have to show up much earlier than Letizia finally will.

So for a princess, whose job is to show herself in public, I found it rather strange if she took 3 months completely off if there are no complications. At the end of the day she's a role model and the reality for many women looks different. I am not saying she should be out and about for the whole day but she could attend part time (as she did during her pregnancy) and still have enough time for her daughter.

Last edited:
Let's leave the easy demagoguery, also there are women who do not work and can be all the time with her children. But the generality is that the mothers enjoy a permission to raise her babies the first months. According to the Spanish law the women have right to 4 months of permission for maternity. Yes, the Princess is not a normal worker, but because the same right cannot have that other women? Because cannot enjoy Sofia of her mother, and on that this one feeds her. Letizia has been submitted to a C- section, therefore the period of recovery is longer, and is feeding Sofia, which means that she cannot separate of her a lot of time. It without counting, that after the tragedy that she has had to live, and the effort that she did, deserves to rely a bit and enjoy her daughters.

Letizia has said it, and probably the Royal House shares it totally, the first one the Queen, who took charge of very direct form raising her children. At The Zarzuela the babysitters are employed when it is necessary, and are not they those who raise the babies (of there that the Prince and the Infantas do not have the problems confessed by other European princes). Letizia's principal work is to be careful and to educate her daughters, it is the most important thing, because the girls who are today will be the representatives of the Spanish Royal Family in the future. And after seeing how it is Leonor to her 18 months, she is doing it very well.:lol:

lula said:
Let's leave the easy demagoguery, also there are women who do not work and can be all the time with her children. But the generality is that the mothers enjoy a permission to raise her babies the first months. According to the Spanish law the women have right to 4 months of permission for maternity. Yes, the Princess is not a normal worker, but because the same right cannot have that other women?

Of course she has the right to take her time, I did not say that she should be back on full agenda five weeks after giving birth. What I wanted to say is that after five weeks she should be well enough to appear in public and appearing in public does not mean that she has to work.

Why should she appear in public? Because it’s the most natural thing in the world, even for normal people. And given she’s the PoA and it’s her job to do so and people expect it from her I don’t see why she shouldn’t. Letizia has all freedom to schedule her days as she likes and I don’t see a conflict in breastfeeding a baby and being seen in public - and the communion would have been a nice opportunity to do so. Just a bit smiling and waving and everybody is happy to see her up and well.

The public is asking for her appearance - as mentioned in another thread, there is much less interest in Felipe or whatever he does when Letizia is not around.

lula said:
And after seeing how it is Leonor to her 18 months, she is doing it very well.:lol:

Well, I'm not so sure, she's stealing ducks and escaping from her Dad! ;):lol:

I think the main reason of not going to the ceremony was that Sofia (then just 3 weeks) might not have been a "regular eater" yet. My cousin's little daughter is 2 months and she still eats when she wants, not regular at all. Her mum says sometimes it's like a horror, she can't even leave the child and go to the shop or somewhere else. So maybe Letizia feared the baby can be hungry while she's away. Of course she could have "put" the milk to the bottle and leave Sofia with the nanny but on the other hand it takes some time for the baby to get used to it. Besides, kids are not stupid and they know perfectly the differences between mummy's breast and the bottle ;):lol:

Duke of Marmalade said:
Of course she has the right to take her time, I did not say that she should be back on full agenda five weeks after giving birth. What I wanted to say is that after five weeks she should be well enough to appear in public and appearing in public does not mean that she has to work.

Why should she appear in public? Because it’s the most natural thing in the world, even for normal people. And given she’s the PoA and it’s her job to do so and people expect it from her I don’t see why she shouldn’t. Letizia has all freedom to schedule her days as she likes and I don’t see a conflict in breastfeeding a baby and being seen in public - and the communion would have been a nice opportunity to do so. Just a bit smiling and waving and everybody is happy to see her up and well.

The public is asking for her appearance - as mentioned in another thread, there is much less interest in Felipe or whatever he does when Letizia is not around.

How do you know she didn't appear in public ? Didn't the press just mention that she, Felipe and the girls went to her father's house to have a family union lunch. She didn't call or have someone call the press to take pictures of them outside her father's house. I'm glad she behaved like royals with discretion, not like the celebrities courting the press.
She is at maternity leave right now. Whether she is a public figure or a private citizen, every newly mother in Spain is entitled to have a period of maternity leave. So far she hasn't taken any longer than an ordinary citizen.
I'm sure Letizia, Leonor or even Sofia will be seen this summer in Mallorca.

She's entitled to have 3 months of leave in Spain just like every Spanish woman. She did the same thing with Leonor. Besides she went to the reception after Froilan's communion. In addition, Maxima hasn't been out in public yet either. Mathilde and Mette also took months off after giving birth without being seen in public, so let's not pick on Letizia.

Duke of Marmalade said:

Do you feel the same thing about Maxima and other crown princesses after they delivered their respective babies?

planetcher said:
Do you feel the same thing about Maxima and other crown princesses after they delivered their respective babies?

Yes, sure, I did not mention it because I did not want to compare Letizia to the other CPs.

So for once, please allow me to compare. Mary was already back in the spotlight on several occasions and I think she did exactly the right thing. She's not working but up and well and people are happy to see her. IMO that's the way it's supposed to be. It's not about calling the press like some celebreties do so if the press is not around at Letizia's father's house then fine. But in case of Froilans communion they were around anyway so she could have shown up. Being photographed is simply part of Letizia's job and a matter of give and take - and of course they play the game. In case of the Fauna Park, I am sure that the press was made aware that they will show up. People wanted to see them because they would miss the Easter mass so they did a family trip as kind of a compensation - in fact a "private" event too - and I don't think there is anything wrong with that.

I am sure Maxima would have shown up too but obviously things are not going after plan with little Ariane.

It's not my intention to pick on Letizia. Why should I? All I did was expressing my opinion.

Last edited:
Froilan's first communion was a serious religion event, also it was organized by his school, not the royal family, completely different circumstance from the celebration lunch Mary attended or the photoshop with the Swedish royals. Sofia was obviously too small to sit through the event. Some babies can be breastfed or fed by bottles at the same time, others can only do one way, some babies eat regularly, others don't. We really don't have ideas how Mary or Letizia feeds their daughter exactly, what kind of help they employes at home. Letizia is a public figure, but any public figure is alo entitled to her privacy during the maternity leave, to do what is best for the baby.
I agree with the Fauna Park, but this was different from what I mentioned about the cases of courting the press by certain royals:cool: or if Letizia asked the press to wait outside her father's house.

donnaK said:
I agree with the Fauna Park, but this was different from what I mentioned about the cases of courting the press by certain royals:cool: or if Letizia asked the press to wait outside her father's house.

I know what you mean ... :lol: some royals are on pretty low level here!

Duke of Marmalade said:
I am sure Maxima would have shown up too but obviously things are not going after plan with little Ariane.

It's not my intention to pick on Letizia. Why should I? All I did was expressing my opinion.

No because it wasn't just with Ariane besides she's doing very well now. She did the same thing with Amalia and Alexia. Mathilde with her three children. Mette-Marit with her younger two. Lalla Salma with hers and her first appearance after giving birth in February was days ago with Queen Rania. These princesses took months off (I believe 3-4 at the most) before appearing in public after the births of their children, so it's definitely not just Letizia. It's only Mary who has already appeared in public both with mini-Mary and Christian and good for her. They may be public figures, but they're also entitled to have a maternity leave just like every woman. How they want to spend that should be up to them.

We've quite forgotten the purpose of this thread and jumped to why Letizia did or did not make appearance there? guessing and even further to other Crown Princesses. :rolleyes:

The fact is, we can say something for certain, it's just all guesswork. ;)
And don't forget that different Mothers choose different ways of looking after their new-born babies. While some may chose to go straight to work, others may prefer to spend more time with their babies. Which doesn't mean any of them are better as Mothers or as Crown Princesses. just different way of thinking and different culture. :flowers:

Last edited:
I imagine having babies is unique to all the CPs, as it is with all women in the world. Some of them can start back in public engagements immediately, while others need time, and the ones who take a break require varying amounts of time to get back to their routines. It is pretty useless to compare these women. They do what they can do. :)

I think Froilan and Victoria are precious children and everyone looked so great at this event, but I agree that Victoria is always funny to see with her gigantic bows. It always makes me smile. She is so tiny so the bows look even bigger than maybe they would if she was chubby. :D
I thought they looked sad too, but it makes sense what many have said about the occasion calling for a somber attitude, and of course they must not like the press attention, especially Victoria, who seems so painfully shy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom