Felipe Juan Froilán de Marichalar's First Communion: May 24, 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
sesa said:
why do they have him dressed in a "sailor suit"? If it is not a tradition, or something that they do in Spain when they make their Communion, I think he is a little too old to be dressed in this manner. I think a nice suit and tie would have looked much better on this handsome young man.
And as for his sister, why do they insist on putting those huge "Nelly Olsen" type bows in her hair!! (Those people who live in the states and have seen the Little house on the Prairie show, know what I'm talking about)
I don't mean to be mean or sound nansty, but these 2 children to not look happy in any of these pictures.(Maybe its because of the way they are dressed?:rolleyes: )
Everyone else looked very nice.

Froilan wasn't looking hapy because on this day yuo are not supposed to smile nor pose for pictures with a smile on your face. On that matter he did very well, very formal and serious. Why Victoria didn't look happy I don't know. Maybe she was practising for her first comunion. :) The reason Froilan was wearing the sailor suit is because that is a tradition in the school he is in. All boys wear it. But it is an often seen suit in Spain for this day. I think he looked absolutely cute. I just loved Elena's shoes!!

I like him in the sailor suit, I think it's very cute. It used to be a tradition for all royal boys (and sometimes little girls) to wear them into their late teens, and Froilan is still a little boy, only eight. I think it's nice to see some of the younger generation still wearing them to be dressed up. :wub:

I think they don't look happy because maybe the weather is bad or they don't like photographers yelling at them (what child would, except maybe Leonor! :ROFLMAO:)

I love the picture of Sofia kissing her grandson. She seems like a wonderful, affectionate grandmother, I think any child would love to have her for their grandma, she is an angel :angel: I also love the ones of Jaime touching his son's hair, and of course Victoria holding on to her uncle Felipe. :flowers: This is an adorable, beautiful, wondering family. I wish Cristina and Inaki had brought their children, or at least Juan and Pablo. I wish Leonor had been there, but I'm sure she would have drawn all the attention from Froilan to herself :lol:

The entire family looked good. I think the sailor suit was very nice. They were almost standard for royal boys a hundred years ago or so.

Thank you so much for all the pics. Froilan does not look to happy with all the cameras around him, but I think that he still looks cute!!!

And as for his sister, why do they insist on putting those huge "Nelly Olsen" type bows in her hair!! (Those people who live in the states and have seen the Little house on the Prairie show, know what I'm talking about)

I was thinking exactly the same !!! :)

I don't mean to be mean or sound nansty, but these 2 children to not look happy in any of these pictures.(Maybe its because of the way they are dressed?:rolleyes: )

I think it's because they have to pose and don't like it - who will blame them. They had the same expression on their faces during their outing with Leonor at the ice show.

Everyone else looked very nice.[/quote]

Yeah, there are some great dressers in the family, especially Elena!

The two didn't look happy, no? How come no one has noticed that?

sesa said:
why do they have him dressed in a "sailor suit"? If it is not a tradition, or something that they do in Spain when they make their Communion, I think he is a little too old to be dressed in this manner. I think a nice suit and tie would have looked much better on this handsome young man.
Everyone else looked very nice.
It might possibly be that it was impressed on those children receiving their first communion that this was a serious, sober occasion and they were to behave accordingly. Twenty 8-year-olds can be a handful, even at church, and knowing that they would be in the public eye today might have made them even more reserved. I know I would have hated to walk outside to that kind of circus when I was only six years old (or 7, or 8, or 9, or even 20).

BTW, I think both the children looked beautiful - very classic. I see little girls with bows tied in their hair all the time. They grow up soon enough - I say dress them up while they'll still let you!

Just an addition - on the Glittering Royal Events message board, a Spanish poster who I believe saw a television broadcast, said that the somber mood really only lasted while the family was waiting for their cars and while the photographs were being taken. I guess it's all timing!

Last edited:
Thank you everyone for explaining. Do not get me wrong, I think both children look nice. I just wanted to know about the sailor suit and it being a tradition, because it is not commonly seen amongst this current generation, royal or not. But I know that Spain adheres to many old traditions, which is nice.
My daughter just made her communion 2 weekends ago, and she was dressed all in white (like a small bride) and the boys wore either dark blue or black suits with dress shirts and ties, which is the tradition here.
As for the bow in her hair, don't get me wrong, my daughter has a bow(s) in her hair every single day, since the day she was born. I like little girls to have something in their hair, hairbands, barretts, bows, ribbons, ect.
But to put something so HUGE is a little much for the child. All you can focus on is the BOW! Kinda makes me laugh every time I see it.

Thanks for the pics!.. Elena looks so elegant!

I agree these kids look miserable, but do the parents ever smile, esp the father? Didn't he have some kind of depression?

I loved Froilan's sailor's suit, but his sister and himself seems not to be too happy...These are strange children, that's for sure! :D In all my Communion pics, I appeared smiling, so my family and friends..even if I had a very high fever!:lol:

Vanesa.

Thank you all for the wonderful pics of the 1st Communion. I don't think you can say the kids looked unhappy, it's
been a very special and important day for Froilan and I think he's been aware of it..
I loved those pics of proud grandma kissing Froilan, loving aunt Cristina cuddling him and big uncle Felipe taking
care for litte Victoria. Wonderful family..:)

A warm, loving and affectionate family.

Stellad

I loved Froilan's !!!

The family is so happy

I thought it was a wonderful event. I have not always had a good opinion of Jamie but after watching the video posted here, I could see a side of him I haven't seem before. He was stroking the back of Froilan's hair in an act of comfort. He was also touching him quite a bit.It was great to see that side of him.
On not smiling, I think these children haven't been treated very kindly in the press and maybe they are weary of allowing themselve to relax in front of the camera, I know I would be and I am an adult, my gosh they are only 8 and 6. IMO

planetcher said:
The two didn't look happy, no? How come no one has noticed that?

I think it´s very rare to see the two of them smiling when there are photographers about - the best pics of these two are when they are caught on camera, unaware that they are being photographed....I think they just really hate being photographed - there was a video from the family photoshoot in Palma last year, where Felipe had the sad face in front of the camera and once it was over, you could see a complete change in expression and behaviour.

It is wonderful to see the whole family gathering for a speciale event, young Felipe Juan looka a lot like his handsome uncle Prince Felipe!

Very nice pics, but I think Cristina should have brought at least her oldest two boys. As I see it Juan and Felipe are very close; and I guess next year it is Juan's turn, so he could have seen how it works, as Victoria did now.

lilytornado said:
Very nice pics, but I think Cristina should have brought at least her oldest two boys. As I see it Juan and Felipe are very close; and I guess next year it is Juan's turn, so he could have seen how it works, as Victoria did now.
They are close and looks a like ...

Thank you all for great pictures! As much as I miss the Urdangarin kids and Felipe's girls, it wasn't so bad that they weren't present; this way nobody stole the show and Felipe was the only "hero" of the event;). Such a pity it was a cold and rainy day...

All three ladies were very elegant (4th little lady not far behind :wub:) , Elena's make-up and hairdo was superb and I loved Sofia's jewellery. It was great for Cristina to have her hair cut this way (before mass in Palma, I think), it looks much more flattering than her other recent hairdos.

Gallery from LFI with a few nice pics:

London Features International Ltd

Wow wow royal family is elegant dress and his grandchildren is pretty prince.!
It is see photo on Queen Sofias sister Princess Irene of Greece was come to his sister-grandchildren Froilan.! Froilan with sister is favourite grandmother Sofia and aunt princess Irene.!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom