Elena, Felipe Froilán &Victoria Federica de Marichalar, News 2:June 2007- May 2019

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a being difference between not being an angel and acting like a spoiled entitled racist little lordling in public.

If the law of succession to the throne was equal for men and women, today Elena would be the Queen of Spain and Froilan heir.

Froilan have thought it?

When I look at his past, plus school problems, etc. I believe he has ADHD. What do I know about ADHD? I just had 3 children with it and the symptoms fit.

ADHD is an explanation not an excuse for his behavior.

If the law of succession to the throne was equal for men and women, today Elena would be the Queen of Spain and Froilan heir.

Froilan have thought it?
Is there any reason for Froilan to concern himself with the throne he will never ascend? There are no ifs in this situation. Infanta Elena and her children are not the members of the Spanish royal family.

Froilan should be disciplined in an appropriate way.

Last edited:
Personally, I'm still on the poorly raised team. He's always been a bit of a handful (presumably very spoiled – being the eldest son, first grandchild etc.) – perhaps Elena and Jaime have overcompensated and been a bit too overbearing with him following their divorce and that has led him to believe that he has every right to act the way he does. If Felipe's parents had firmly dismissed this sort of bratty behaviour from the very beginning, it wouldn't have been an issue now (unless, of course, there's some sort of psychiatric disorder involved).

ADHD is an explanation not an excuse for his behavior.

But if he has ADHD, his parents have failed in not providing him with the help necessary for him to live with it – thus making it their fault, not his. While I don't believe anyone have excused his behaviour, he shouldn't be held accountable for his parents' actions (or lack of such).

Everything about his behavior - kicking another child at the wedding when he was what 5 or 6? Failing out of school despite what I assume is the best of tutors and likely the most lenient of grading for a grandson of a king to keep him at that school. Now we have what can only have been an irrational rage that caused him to call another kid a "[blank] Chinese" because he does not have the ability to deal with things and wait. Put all of this together and we have, at the very least, ADHD, and corresponding sensory integration dysfunction.

I agree that if he needed an intervention and did not get it, the blame squarely lies with this parents. And hopefully, if this is the case, this is a big wake up call to get him some help.

Everything about his behavior - kicking another child at the wedding when he was what 5 or 6? Failing out of school despite what I assume is the best of tutors and likely the most lenient of grading for a grandson of a king to keep him at that school. Now we have what can only have been an irrational rage that caused him to call another kid a "[blank] Chinese" because he does not have the ability to deal with things and wait. Put all of this together and we have, at the very least, ADHD, and corresponding sensory integration dysfunction.

I agree that if he needed an intervention and did not get it, the blame squarely lies with this parents. And hopefully, if this is the case, this is a big wake up call to get him some help.

I agree with you that he needs some help. But I have the feeling from what I've read that this royal family wouldn't admit to a problem in anyone in the family. Some members ( not all ) do think they are above everyone else JMO
But a lot of parents find it hard to accept their child might have a problem This is a shame, early intervention can really help.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Fifty plus years ago, when I was dealing with my children, It was very hard to find a Doctor that was knowledgeable.

Although the behavior seems appaling at this event, it does not mean that he has some sort of disfunction. I am sure that at any schoolyard you can hear simular appaling insults every day. His parents and teachers will know if this behavior is a one-off or representative for a general character trait. If the latter is the case I am sure they will find him help, but not every obnoxious teenager remark means that somebody has a disorder or is completely out of control.

To say that his parents raised him poorly just based on this example and a kick 10 years ago is somewhat premature. Let's hope that his parents and perhaps a teacher had a good talk with him after they heard about the incident. I think that we should be careful not to be too judgemental and harsh about minors.

In English:

Spain's little 'prince' shamed for racist rant

Spain's royal bad boy has hit the headlines again after shouting racist abuse at a teenage boy who criticised him for attempting to jump the queue at a Madrid theme park.

Read more here: http://www.thelocal.es/20150601/spanish-royal-in-racist-rant

Last edited:
:previous: Agree Marengo. It seems to me it has more to do with a character trait... IIRC even when Froilan was still very young used to have these outburst. For instance, I remember he kicked someone at his uncle's wedding... At that time I didn't pay much attention but I think now it might be a insight on his behaviour....:ermm:

I was surprised to see that he's 16 (and soon 17). He looks a few years younger than that.

My guess is that he's an immature kid, who may be turbulent by nature. Apart from the media scrutiny and family dramas, it must be very tough to figure out your place in the world when you're treated as a royal (or told the rules don't apply to you) one minute, then told to go to the back of the line the next.

It doesn't excuse his bad behavior, but it might explain it. I imagine being young Froilan isn't always easy.

I agree. There have been many incidents over the years, Huffington Post has put on a timeline:
-2004: he kicked his cousin during the wedding of F&L
-2010: he gave some reporters the finger
-2011: shooting himself in the foot
-2013: giving his cousin Pablo a headbutt & fighting with a friend
-2013: advertisment for a night club in Madrid
-2014: during the abdication process pulling faces while on a mobile phone
-2014: failure at school for the 2nd time
-2014: pretended to have found a rolex watch that turned out to be fake
-2015: insulting the chinese boy

Los hits de Froilán: de la patada al "¡tú cállate, puto chino!"

Those things don't sound that different from the nonsense a lot of boys get into. He just has the bad fortune to be doing this stuff in front of the media (and sometimes at high-profile events).

It's kind of ironic that Elena, who is usually praised for her conduct and discretion, has a son who gets into trouble, while her sister, whose personal behavior is questionable, has three sons who don't seem to get into mischief.

Was there a video? I thought I read that there was a video. We have no idea if the things we read about Felipe and the other members of the family are true or not unless there is actual footage or documentation. I'm not defending any of his actions if they are his actions, but I think it's worth reminding everyone to take the things the press writes with a grain of salt. If anyone has access to the video, please share.

Now, assuming all of the "incidents" we've read about are true, I have to say that I agree with kalnel. Nothing on that list of "incidents" seems much different than the trouble "normal" kids get into at his age. The problem is he is not a "normal" kid and he is old enough to know that he has a responsibility to protect the image of the monarchy even though he does not have an official role. I think if he really cares about the monarchy he will mature into his role.

Last edited:
I agree. There have been many incidents over the years, Huffington Post has put on a timeline:
-2004: he kicked his cousin during the wedding of F&L
-2010: he gave some reporters the finger
-2011: shooting himself in the foot
-2013: giving his cousin Pablo a headbutt & fighting with a friend
-2013: advertisment for a night club in Madrid
-2014: during the abdication process pulling faces while on a mobile phone
-2014: failure at school for the 2nd time
-2014: pretended to have found a rolex watch that turned out to be fake
-2015: insulting the chinese boy

Los hits de Froilán: de la patada al "¡tú cállate, puto chino!"

Did that article say that he actually tried to stab Pablo with a kebab stick after headbutting him?

Those things don't sound that different from the nonsense a lot of boys get into. He just has the bad fortune to be doing this stuff in front of the media (and sometimes at high-profile events).

It's kind of ironic that Elena, who is usually praised for her conduct and discretion, has a son who gets into trouble, while her sister, whose personal behavior is questionable, has three sons who don't seem to get into mischief.

I disagree. That list is VERY telling and it is definitely NOT in any way normal, especially not normal for a boy his age. He shows every sign of being spoilt, indulged and undisciplined. I'm not going to diagnose anything since I'm not a doctor but this kid needs to be reigned in right now. In a couple of years he will be in his 20s and his peers at that age will not put up with him and his antics.

Keep in mind that the list covers the past 11 years, going back to when he was about 5. If these things had all happened in the last 18 months, I would find it concerning, but over the course of a decade, not so much.

And, to be fair, the lists reflect the media's spin on his actions. What may have been typical rough-housing that got out of control suddenly becomes Froilan trying to stab his cousin. A moment when a teenager tries to show off for his friends turns into an attempted fraud with a Rolex.

But, I agree that he seems like he needs some more guidance. A bratty kid or rebellious teen is one thing, but if that kind of behavior continues, he'll be either a boorish jerk or a tragedy-in-the-making.

Do any of you so down on Froilan have sons and actually know what they get up to? Most of those so called incidents are just the usual stuff of boyhood, a tantrum as a 5 year, pulling a face while on the phone, roughhousing with a cousin that got out of control. all normal stuff of boyhood. The only one that really is of concern is the recent racist incident. He is 16 now and should behave better. My real concern with that incident is not so much the racist insult but rather the implied arrogance and feeling of superiority and entitlement of the ' i'm fourth in line to the throne' .

Last edited:
It is all normal adolescent behaviour. Boys will loose wild hairs and settle down. It is the eternal story. Nothing to be so upset about.

I can't help feeling sorry for him. His father suffered a stroke that changed his character when he was young, his parents are divorced, his whole family is constantly under scrutiny. He may enjoy everything that goes with wealth, that had never and will never bring automatically psychological stability. Nearly all teenagers have rebellious moments, but not everyone has his stupid moments in the paper headlines. Being a teenager and having every rebellious move on the newspapers headlines is surely not a position I envy. I wish the newspapers would let alone, it would be much better for him than being the main focus of educational discussions.

Hear! Hear! Many adolescents will do stupid things. Smoking weed, get very drunk in a weekend, engage in a brawl somewhere when tensions go high, use inappropriate words or even swearing. None of them will make the headlines. And all this while Felipe even is no Prince at all.

I would add that I don't regard all these incidents as not worthy to be dealt with. They are to be dealt with appropriately to help this young boy to become a fine man. But privately, with people knowing him and able to help him, not by the whole country nor the whole royal watchers community.

I would add that I don't regard all these incidents as not worthy to be dealt with. They are to be dealt with appropriately to help this young boy to become a fine man. But privately, with people knowing him and able to help him, not by the whole country nor the whole royal watchers community.

exactly the way it should be handled.

He may just be a spoiled rich kid who when he can't get his way throws a tantrum. As for him failing he may just not like school and not put any effort in to pass perhaps he wants to go another route.

I fail to see how he used his money, as the title of the article describes, to misbehave. Although his comments were appaling I think it is sad that the press uses the story for another article about 'spoiled rich kid' that people adore, while vilifying an underage boy. This should have been dealt with privately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom